Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The promised golden age of $500 1080tis soon maybe??? :prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope it crashes the day Ampere is released. I wonder how I'm going to get one for MSRP otherwise.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

craig588 posted:

I hope it crashes the day Ampere is released. I wonder how I'm going to get one for MSRP otherwise.

If Ampere offers the 20-30% performance and efficiency improvements people are hoping for, you're still gonna be SOL, especially if the rumors about Pascal production being discontinued are true and we have to suffer through 3+ months of basically no availability prior to Ampere dropping.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m kind of wondering if I should Ebay my 970 and buy a 1050ti or something.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
South korean threats and as of today renewed Chinese legislation are whats impacting values in case anybody is wondering. The actual mining payments on nicehash are actually up though so if the value goes back up we actually get paid more for this dip (for the time being).

Considering this is now the fourth time that the South Korean government has made direct threats with no followup and the market recovered quickly each time I wouldnt see this as end times, rather im starting to see it as market manipulation at this point.

The Chinese government legislation will be the one to really watch

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m kind of wondering if I should Ebay my 970 and buy a 1050ti or something.

Check eBay, is the difference in price between the 2 really worth the effort?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I can get one locally for $100. If I can get $250-275 for it like I’m seeing a lot at, then yeah.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
If anyone is sad about mining losing profitability, EVGA will pay you up to $10 a month to run Folding@Home for their team! You get paid in EVGA BUCKS too so you even get the thrill of not getting a real currency.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Maybe I can finally buy a video card at a sane price now that this trashfire is really kicking off

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Alpha Mayo posted:

If anyone is sad about mining losing profitability, EVGA will pay you up to $10 a month to run Folding@Home for their team! You get paid in EVGA BUCKS too so you even get the thrill of not getting a real currency.

I spent a year folding before I got into mining and probably will do so again if mining ever just totally dies.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

MaxxBot posted:

I spent a year folding before I got into mining and probably will do so again if mining ever just totally dies.

I honestly hope that the whole mining thing allows these pools to pivot into useful distributed computing being sold by the masses. There's a ton of really valuable processing that could be done by the off cycles in people's computers that could actually be quite useful and helpful to the world.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alpha Mayo posted:

You need to turn in 4,000,000 points per month. What sort of ask is that? Can I do it with a 1080 running very low priority to not notice a performance impact without keeping my computer on 24/7? Or is that the sort of thing that needs multiple GPUs running 24/7?

Edit: Looking at their leaderboard that looks like something you might be able to do with 1 GPU, but it'd have to be 24/7.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 16, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Nitrousoxide posted:

I honestly hope that the whole mining thing allows these pools to pivot into useful distributed computing being sold by the masses. There's a ton of really valuable processing that could be done by the off cycles in people's computers that could actually be quite useful and helpful to the world.

Yeah I agree there's just so much sheer computing power out there with all of these people buying high end GPUs that could be tapped into.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
For me at least, it's a 30 dollar a month donation ask. Years ago when the difference between idle and loaded was pretty small I used to run F@H, but power savings have gotten too good now for me to let it run anymore.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

craig588 posted:

You need to turn in 4,000,000 points per month. What sort of ask is that? Can I do it with a 1080 running very low priority to not notice a performance impact without keeping my computer on 24/7? Or is that the sort of thing that needs multiple GPUs running 24/7?

Edit: Looking at their leaderboard that looks like something you might be able to do with 1 GPU, but it'd have to be 24/7.

I have a 1060 and it says it is earning 350K/day. Plus I think you get bonus points after you turn in 10 WUs to your passkey or something. I'd probably disable the CPU usage though since the points you get from that is extremely low (my i5 2500K at 4.5ghz gets 1600 points a day)

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I agree there's just so much sheer computing power out there with all of these people buying high end GPUs that could be tapped into.

Can you think of any current global issue with encouraging people to run high-end PC components 24/7 regardless of the task

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'd leave that kind of number crunching to Tesla's with ECC-everything running in datacenters. Running those calcs on consumer gear greatly increases your susceptibility to bit flips producing bad data which means you need to run the same calcs many times to verify consistent results vs a handful of times on proper hardware. That kills your efficiency edge even if it lowers the upfront capital requirements. Pretty much any large company or university already has a large compute cluster available with enterprise-grade hardware you can run whatever you need on because the demand is there.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to run the poo poo out of F@H. Nerd leaderboards were great.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So is this the end of the crypto maddness or just another crash before people jump back in?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It's funny how a nominally communist government is doing the sane things against crypto and DRAM price fixing, while on the other side of the ocean somebody like the FTC can't be bothered to deal with obvious MLM pyramid schemes because freedom.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Scarecow posted:

So is this the end of the crypto maddness or just another crash before people jump back in?

Look into your heart, and see the truth. This is just the wet fart the market makes before somehow soaring up to 75k a coin, in violation of every single rational thought in your mind, but still somehow following the UP! UP! UP! pattern we've had ever since BTC was <$1 per coin.

At best we might see videocard stock start to stay on shelves longer than a day, but I'm not super hopeful.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scarecow posted:

You know in your heart what the answer is

:negative:

Palladium posted:

It's funny how a nominally communist government is doing the sane things against crypto and DRAM price fixing, while on the other side of the ocean somebody like the FTC can't be bothered to deal with obvious MLM pyramid schemes because freedom.

In general, the less democratic a group is, the faster it can act and the more likely it is to do so with a more unified purpose.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Cryptocurrency Mining Thread: we're all hoping for cryptocurrency mining to die

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Kazinsal posted:

The Cryptocurrency Mining Thread: we're all hoping for cryptocurrency mining to die 30 seconds after we cash out

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
the little money i've made mining for two weeks is all trapped in like three different pools and doesn't meet the minimum withdrawal amount for any of them.

can't wait to get my 0.01 bitcoin worth $3.50 when it's all over with.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Profits are halved, back to early November levels :shrug:

GPU pricing will taper downwards is my guess.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Hodl, my dear friend. Just hodl. Forever.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risky Bisquick posted:

100 day ROI is still worth it for most people

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Even with much, much lower profits than currently GPUs were still overpriced, I wouldn't expect to a big price crash and selloff unless mining becomes literally unprofitable.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Can you think of any current global issue with encouraging people to run high-end PC components 24/7 regardless of the task

Mining is a big waste of electricity but there's a lot of HPC work to be done and if it's not done on consumer hardware it will just be done on supercomputers.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

MaxxBot posted:

Even with much, much lower profits than currently GPUs were still overpriced, I wouldn't expect to a big price crash and selloff unless mining becomes literally unprofitable.

It would have to go below $0.20 per card per day to be unprofitable for me at 0.075/kWh; so long as each card makes a couple bucks a day I’m good with pocketing $300+ per month for leaving a mining rig on. When they were making $5-6 daily that was just bonus fake money.

God. Me in 2010 would beat my rear end.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hodl, my dear friend. Just hodl. Forever.

Could go up, could go down, could stay the same. I have roughly 30d of mining @ todays profit levels after electricity to fully recoup my capital outlay. I have another 6gpu skeleton assembled, waiting for cards if I wanna buy them too hrm.

OTOH my garage is now a balmy 17c when it is -10c outside :getin:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Hey what if crowd herding high speed stock trading becomes a thing?!!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

100 day ROI is still worth it for most people
It's now way more than 100 days though. My 1070 went from >$5/day to $3 literally the day after I got it :v: so the return would take at least 4 months now.

I'm okay as long as I can at least a hundred or two back out of it, as I was probably going to get a 1050 Ti or 1060 anyway. At least I didn't blow a grand on a 1080 Ti lol.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

Mining is a big waste of electricity but there's a lot of HPC work to be done and if it's not done on consumer hardware it will just be done on supercomputers.

Good, that is where it belongs. Consumer hardware is trash.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Hey what if crowd herding high speed stock trading becomes a thing?!!

Lol yeah good luck with doing HFT on your lovely residential ISP while they real players are setting up shop next door to the exchange datacenter and sweating microseconds of latency.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Folks are posting their cryto portfolios on a discord I'm in.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Are bitconnectors gonna go to vale?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Nitrousoxide posted:

Folks are posting their cryto portfolios on a discord I'm in.

Bitconnect is a ponzi, I only heard about the thing last night and all of its promotion material point instantly to mlm/ponzi type of scam.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's now way more than 100 days though. My 1070 went from >$5/day to $3 literally the day after I got it :v: so the return would take at least 4 months now.

I'm okay as long as I can at least a hundred or two back out of it, as I was probably going to get a 1050 Ti or 1060 anyway. At least I didn't blow a grand on a 1080 Ti lol.

I would argue just buy the highest end thing you can afford and let it mine. Subsidizing your gaming hardware is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Whatever bitconnect purported to be, looks like they decided to cash out.

• Locked thread