Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

How far do you take this? Are you just using "Latinx" or are you also trying/hoping to change how Spanish works?

I take it as far as people in the Latinx community ask it to be taken; i use Latinx in the same manner I use singular 'they' pronouns (or any other pronouns) to respect an individual's or group's identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
How do you pronounce Latinx? My brain is saying it in a way that rhymes with jinx, but that is probably wrong.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bleck posted:

How do you pronounce Latinx? My brain is saying it in a way that rhymes with jinx, but that is probably wrong.

Just like Latino, except I replace o with x. lah-teen-ex

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Cool, thank you.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

jivjov posted:

I take it as far as people in the Latinx community ask it to be taken; i use Latinx in the same manner I use singular 'they' pronouns (or any other pronouns) to respect an individual's or group's identity.

And what about members of the Latino community (whatever that is) who are opposed to it on the grounds that it's forcing other cultural norms on their language?

s.i.r.e. posted:

How far do you take this? Are you just using "Latinx" or are you also trying/hoping to change how Spanish works?

It's the latter. The ideal future is where latino or latina are not used.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bleck posted:

I've heard it spoken similar to "latin-eh."

Edit: these were Dominicans, for what it's worth.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Milky Moor posted:

And what about members of the Latino community (whatever that is) who are opposed to it on the grounds that it's forcing other cultural norms on their language?

The same way I treat people like that one "dutiful wife" twitter account that thinks women should be barefoot and pregnant at all times. I will always err on the side of inclusivity. People sometimes have opinions that run counter to their own self interest (or the interest of groups/communities they belong to)

Milky Moor posted:

It's the latter. The ideal future is where latino or latina are not used.

I've not seen anyone calling for that. Latino and Latina are still perfectly valid and useful terms.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Unless I missed the part in Star Wars where they went to planet Argentina and had a riveting conversation about appropriation, this isn’t the thread to talk about this.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Unless I missed the part in Star Wars where they went to planet Argentina and had a riveting conversation about appropriation, this isn’t the thread to talk about this.

Maybe in Solo we find out it's actually pronounced "Juan"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

We do learn a lot more about the force and the setting via her interactions with Luke. A lot of its information we, nerds who have been arguing about Star Wars our entire lives, already knew, but having the that read of the the Jedi were meant to be laughably incompetent/etc. prequel trilogy's events be absolutely straight up the final word on the subject from Luke Skywalker himself? Rey's different experience going into an extreme dark side space, all of that stuff was really cool, and conflict of Luke's frustration with her basically wanting him to save the galaxy by being a super warrior and how he achieves that victory on a smaller but still important was good and wouldn't have happened with Rey was written out or otherwise not around.

The fact that the jedi hosed up was fact. the conflict was if it was an intentional decision by lucas. TLJ can't answer that

rey's trip to the dark side was so boring she had to narrate it and all we and she got out of it is that the dark side has nothing for her? that's even more boring

luke could have been set up in a number of different ways

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Maybe in Solo we find out it's actually pronounced "Juan"

excuse me its Han SolX

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Elfgames posted:

The fact that the jedi hosed up was fact. the conflict was if it was an intentional decision by lucas. TLJ can't answer that

rey's trip to the dark side was so boring she had to narrate it and all we and she got out of it is that the dark side has nothing for her? that's even more boring

luke could have been set up in a number of different ways

The Dark Side actually does have nothing for her. She wants a loving family. It can't offer that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

The Dark Side actually does have nothing for her. She wants a loving family. It can't offer that.

This is a good point and all but somehow I don't think wanting a loving would render someone immune to the dark side. The dark side isn't Sauron, it's not an actual entity.

"I want a loving family."
"Oh, poo poo, she's got us there."

edit: Basically, if Rey desired a loving family, it's pretty easy to see how being able to manipulate minds directly, or use power to make people adore you indirectly, could be a crack in her armor. And that could've been an interesting plot point in a more interesting ST where Rey learns that naked power and compulsion is nothing like genuine love. Too bad though that she's never really in danger of being seduced by the quick and easy path to what she wants.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 17, 2018

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Dark Side is all “The last time we tried seducing someone with a family, he ended up throwing one of our champions down a bottomless pit so we’re not doing that again.”

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Hodgepodge posted:

Can't it though? She already knows the force can manipulate minds. It's entirely possible that her path to temptation lies in using the force to make a family in a future movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Rey simply doesn't have the imagination to fantasize about anything but herself.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Dirk the Average posted:

Can't it though? She already knows the force can manipulate minds. It's entirely possible that her path to temptation lies in using the force to make a family in a future movie.

That isn't the same thing as being loved for one's own sake. It might be good enough for some people, if what they want is the behavioural manifestations of love or the material benefits, for example. A pathological narcissist or a young child would be unable to tell the difference. Psychologically mature people are able to distinguish the difference between being valued as a person and behaviour which superficially resembles this due to power (usually due to social standing rather than supernatural compulsion), however.

Anakin wanted a loving family, but never got past loving a specific person. He was unable to see anyone else's love for him (Obi-wan's for example), and the Jedi were too blinded by their fear of him to offer a true community which could offer him love and respect. The Dark Side does have something to offer those who already have a family or community they love, of course- the power to protect what they love. This is likely to be rejected if the values of that community reject those entailed by the Dark Side, which in turn creates a person whose sense of self is resilient to it. Anakin never developed this maturity, and couldn't deal with Obi-wan and Padme rebuffing him when he fell to the Dark Side.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 17, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Tcann13/status/953322490733850625?s=17

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Last Jedi bombs in China? For Star Wars, good this is.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Hodgepodge posted:

By TLJ she’s already got one. What she wants is to be a somebody rather than a nobody, or for her lovely life to be retroactively justified by a great hidden destiny, or something along those lines.

Of course, being a spontaneous, rags-to-riches prodigy is actually more impressive than inheriting vast power from your parents, so if Rey had been thinking straight she could’ve quite appreciated the mirror sequence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think her head is in The right place by the end .

We shall see in the next movie tho when JJ Abrams ignores everything that happened

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who do we suppose Rey's parents will be revealed to actually be in Episode IX?

My money's on Kit Fisto.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tenzarin posted:

Last Jedi bombs in China? For Star Wars, good this is.

I dunno what they expected to happen when they delayed a release to a country notorious for pirating movies.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

excuse me its Han SolX

Hxn Sxlx

alternately, H@n S@l@

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

jivjov posted:

I dunno what they expected to happen when they delayed a release to a country notorious for pirating movies.

Is it up to Disney though? I thought China pretty much set the release schedule to accommodate their movies first over foreign films. Some Hollywood films end up getting good release windows, some don't. China is supposedly getting better in that regard, but it's still a big thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

Is it up to Disney though? I thought China pretty much set the release schedule to accommodate their movies first over foreign films. Some Hollywood films end up getting good release windows, some don't. China is supposedly getting better in that regard, but it's still a big thing.

I don't know it for a fact but I think they were offered an opening day closer to the European and North American release dates but turned it down for whatever reason.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Rey gives Maz and Kylo an excuse to expose, and then beats the latter in a fight. You could easily remove her from TFA.

Same for TLJ, for that matter. She gives Luke and Kylo an excuse to chat, and then beats some of Snoke's mooks in a fight.

I am afraid this is not the case.

In addition to her own story, without Rey, her opposite Kylo loses much of his characterization. There is no hint of growth, nor backstory via flashback. He has no rival, no opposite, against which to play. We lose the interrogation scene, which establishes much of his character. We lose his entire attempt at assuming Luke's mantel via his demands that she let him teach her. Kylo is more interested and invested the moment he hears that there's a girl involved.

The entire film would require extensive rewrites to exclude her.

FN is paired against Phasma, who despite her excellent and appealing design, is wasted as a character. Even with him fully present in the film, she is literally shoved into the garbage. His story is essentially over once the loop formed by Poe killing FN's fellow trooper and being marked with blood in the opening massacre is closed by Poe's "death" on Jakku and the acquisition of Poe's jacket, in place of his now stained and discarded armor. Which is right when Rey takes over.

The film would merely require cuts to remove him after a certain point. The film would be worse off for doing so, however.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 17, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

no but it could offer the power to stabilize the galaxy so that she could have that family

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
General Hux has fallen a long way since his old boss died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ittn4f0Em4

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
The dark side was manifesting Rey's fear; that her parents are, in multiple ways, nobody. They are nobody in that they are ignominious, and as such she can't look to her past to show her where she belongs in the galaxy. They are also nobody in that they no longer exist, i.e. they are dead. Even if they aren't dead, they have had such little presence in her life that she doesn't even remember who they are, and at this point they're never coming back. She's afraid and doesn't know her place in the world that she's been forced into, and that she's all alone. The dark side of the force visualized and reinforced those fears. Note that Kylo Ren, an agent of the dark side, also reinforces that fear. He says aloud what she's been afraid of for years.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Marc Bernardin on Kevin Smith's podcast pointed out that Kylo Ren was using "negging" PUA techniques to try to get Rey to join him and now shirtless Forcetiming gets even more funny

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fhate posted:

The dark side was manifesting Rey's fear; that her parents are, in multiple ways, nobody. They are nobody in that they are ignominious, and as such she can't look to her past to show her where she belongs in the galaxy. They are also nobody in that they no longer exist, i.e. they are dead. Even if they aren't dead, they have had such little presence in her life that she doesn't even remember who they are, and at this point they're never coming back. She's afraid and doesn't know her place in the world that she's been forced into, and that she's all alone. The dark side of the force visualized and reinforced those fears. Note that Kylo Ren, an agent of the dark side, also reinforces that fear. He says aloud what she's been afraid of for years.

The dark side is thus truth.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Dark Side is ultimately selfishness. It offered her endless self-obsession, which ultimately could not give her what she really wanted.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The way the ST has dealt with the identity of Rey's parents is one of the lamest things about it and one of its biggest misunderstandings of the fundamentals of the series. Nobody's parents are nobody. Nobody comes from nowhere. That's one of the main thrusts of the original saga and its use of parents and lineage as thematic devices.

In the original trilogy, Luke starts out thinking he's a nobody on a nothing planet in the middle of nowhere, but then he finds out he's actually the heir to a great heroic destiny. This isn't to be taken literally. Sure, in-universe Luke turns out to be a special person with a magical wizard for a father, but this is actually part of a larger metaphor. We're all Luke Skywalker, no matter who we are, where we come from, or who our parents were. We're all the inheritors of the past, of a great legacy, of a history built by those who came before us, and it's up to us to come to terms with that and figure out how we're going to relate with that past and build our own identity from it. Luke's father is a symbol both of impossible goodness and of impossible evil, and Luke has to somehow harmonize those great contradictions into a coherent whole in order to move forward and create a new future. This is a metaphor for own history, be it the history of our family, our country, our world, or our species--the history of every single one is riddled with instances of great good and great evil. We all inherit a mixed legacy. What does that mean? What do we do that information? How do we move forward? That's what Star Wars is about. That's why Lucas always conceptualized it as a family soap opera continuing down through the generations. The parents of the hero are by design always these mythological, larger-than-life figures, symbols of a past that must be grappled with for good or ill, rife with symbolic meaning, a historical lineage leading back directly to God at the very beginning.

Again, the ST doesn't seem to understand this and takes everything that came before extremely literally, and so it mistakenly thinks a subversion is called for, in order to democratize the universe away from its elitist origins. But really, what the ST is inadvertently saying now is that Rey does comes from nowhere; history is in reality a meaningless, small, and petty thing--nothing but a couple of addicts scrounging around in the dirt for their next fix. Rey's struggle is now seemingly based around overcoming that knowledge and building a heroic identity as somebody in spite of it. But that's not true to the way I'd argue things actually are, and it's not true to the themes of the series. No one comes from nowhere. The past is important. It looms large and grand; it doesn't diminish into a pathetic nothingness. One doesn't built an identity ex nihilo, from a place outside of history. As the main hero of the trilogy and the standard bearer of the mythological mode, Rey's origin is incoherent. For a Han Solo or a Finn, who are the sort of non-magical characters whose job it is to complement this mythological mode by representing the themes of the series in a more down-to-earth context, it would make some sense--but not for Rey. So basically the best case scenario is that Rey learns that, regardless of the literal reality, that's not who her parents were. Okay, fine. So then the entire point of this trilogy was in moving from the mundane back to the mythological, in a very self-conscious way. I personally just find that aesthetically displeasing for a Star Wars story, which I think should start out and stay mythological all the way through, and use that storytelling mode to deal with larger real-world issues. We already had the "I'm a nobody, oh wait no I'm not" arc back in A New Hope, and it was done much more economically (it took up about fifteen minutes of the movie tops) while still remaining within the proper mythological storytelling mode throughout. It's pointless for the ST to waste all this time just to re-affirm that Star Wars is, in fact, a myth. Like so much else in this trilogy so far, it's just so boringly meta.

Anyway, this is how I've always seen things, and that's why I don't find this supposedly groundbreaking reveal to be very interesting. It's just yet another in a long string of creative decisions that serve to de-mythologize the series and bring it down to the level of the mundane and of franchise self-analysis. It's a departure from convention just for the sake of being a departure from convention. To be honest, I simply don't even believe anyone involved in the story truly ever thought for a moment about what the departure was actually saying from a larger mythological standpoint. I don't think there was ever a strong game plan.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who do we suppose Rey's parents will be revealed to actually be in Episode IX?

My money's on Kit Fisto.

Rey is a clone, grown in a test tube. Her parents are literally no-one.

Turns out the final movie will feature a clone army made of Reys, called Reyturn of the clones.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What she wants is to re-establish theocracy.

The dark side cave scene is bad, partly because it's not clear what it's there for. This leads to the strangely self-contradictory interpretations - for example, nobody can agree if it's supposed to be a scene of fantasy or of spiritual truth. It's apparently about a Satanic power tempting the heroine, and illustrating the narcissism of such promises... but is not actually able to show anything to beguile or seduce her, and at the same time is telling the truth to her in a therapeutic manner, by showing the unacknowledged fear that her parents are nobodies.

In other words, Satan is too dumb to tempt the heroine.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 18, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There was nothing in there that she didn't take with her.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What she wants is to re-establish theocracy.

The dark side cave scene is bad, partly because it's not clear what it's there for. This leads to the strangely self-contradictory interpretations - for example, nobody can agree if it's supposed to be a scene of fantasy or of spiritual truth. It's apparently about a Satanic power tempting the heroine, and illustrating the narcissism of such visions... but is not actually able to show anything to beguile or seduce her, and at the same time is telling the truth to her in a therapeutic manner by showing her unacknowledged fear that her parents are nobodies.

In other words, Satan is too dumb to tempt the heroine.

You know a scene is successful when you need a voice over explaining it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The interpretation that it's all what Rey is imagining would imply that her character is so dull that she can't even fantasize about anything but herself.

e: And since she afterwards still believes the fantasy of being a hero as part of the Resistance, doesn't that mean that she hasn't rejected selfishness? She still thinks she's saving the universe as part of an aristocrat's private army.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

or maybe Kylo was simply lying to her about her parents