Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It turns out the Great Filter is capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Koirhor posted:

IMO this is the answer to the Fermi paradox

Sorry, it's actually that any species intelligent enough to travel between systems is also intelligent enough to understand that endless reproduction isn't desirable and that continuation of a life is a waste of time and energy. The rational thing to do is embrace entropy and turn yourself into a diffuse cloud of 2.725°K hydrogen gas.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Evil_Greven posted:

In other fun news, even UAH says 2017 was #3 warmest in the satellite record... it wasn't even an El Niño year...

NOAA hasn't put out their annual report yet, but it's likely up there as well.

Sea ice is still low, too. I'm not sure that there is any good news to be had lately.

The global report is still not out, but U.S. national report was released on Friday. As expected, it ain't pretty:
"Based on preliminary analysis, the average annual temperature for the contiguous U.S. was 54.6°F, 2.6°F above the 20th century average. This was the third warmest year since record keeping began in 1895, behind 2012 (55.3°F) and 2016 (54.9°F), and the 21st consecutive warmer-than-average year for the U.S. (1997 through 2017). The five warmest years on record for the contiguous U.S. have all occurred since 2006. Since 1895, the CONUS has observed an average temperature increase of 1.5°F per century. Nationally, the average minimum (low) temperature was 42.8°F, the fourth warmest on record, while the average maximum (high) temperature was 66.4°F, the fifth warmest on record.

For the third consecutive year, every state across the contiguous U.S. and Alaska had an above-average annual temperature. Despite cold seasons in various regions throughout the year, above-average temperatures, often record breaking, during other parts of the year more than offset any seasonal cool conditions. Five states – Arizona, Georgia, New Mexico, North Carolina and South Carolina – had their warmest year on record. Thirty-two additional states, including Alaska, had annual temperatures that ranked among the 10 warmest on record."

This is only a tiny portion of the report and I encourage you to skim through it at least.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Oooh hey, are we to the point where we can start calling individual weather phenomena climate change yet? Alaska just broke their January all-time high by 4F.

https://twitter.com/AlaskaWx/status/952694320628252672

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
+20 in Alaska in January is pretty drat hosed up, can't slice that any other way tbqh.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL076079/full

quote:

Here we show the climate impacts from removing present day anthropogenic aerosol emissions, and compare them to the impacts from moderate GHG dominated global warming. Removing aerosols induces a global mean surface heating of 0.5-1.1 °C, and precipitation increase of 2.0-4.6 %. Extreme weather indices also increase. We find a higher sensitivity of extreme events to aerosol reductions, per degree of surface warming, in particular over the major aerosol emission regions.

Emphasis mine.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hmm...

quote:

To keep within 1.5 or 2 degrees of global warming, we need massive reductions of greenhouse gas emissions. At the same time, aerosol emissions will be strongly reduced. We show how cleaning up aerosols, predominantly sulfate, may add an additional half a degree of global warming, with impacts that strengthen those from greenhouse gas warming.

This is a bit confusing. Are they saying that reducing aerosols (which are bad, right?) will contribute to global warming?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Hmm...

This is a bit confusing. Are they saying that reducing aerosols (which are bad, right?) will contribute to global warming?

Yes that is what they are saying. Different aerosols have different effects on the environment but the net impact of aerosol reduction is to increase temperatures by ~0.5-1.1C since they have a net cooling effect.

One of the hare-brained geoengineering solutions we will inevitably try when poo poo gets really bad is to spray aerosols and pray. This will have unintended consequences.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I feel like it's almost inevitable at this point that wars will be fought over geoengineering schemes. Something like sulfate injection is guaranteed to negatively affect farmland in certain regions of the world and there's no way a country like China is going to sit back and say "yeah, we're totally happy to live with widespread famines so that NYC doesn't sink."

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Assuming that the world maintains the ability to feed all the people on it (hahahaha), you'd think that the only way around wars like that would be to ditch the capitalism and exploitation and start working together in good faith internationally (hahahahahaha).

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

'global dimming' in general is really hosed up imo. oh well

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

ChairMaster posted:

Assuming that the world maintains the ability to feed all the people on it (hahahaha),

Red text earned, I guess. Feeding people for the foreseeable future is and will remain a political problem. You can pick up a used copy of Limits to Growth (3rd Ed) pretty cheaply and should probably do so.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
tbh I don't actually think that global human civilization is gonna last long enough to make it to the point at which the population exceeds the amount of food that can physically be produced anyways.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

0.5C - 1.1C was within range of what we expected so not really any need to get sadbrains about it. Good to see more research confirming the range though, and the precipitation change is interesting.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

the sooner we all die the better

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Paradoxish posted:

I feel like it's almost inevitable at this point that wars will be fought over geoengineering schemes. Something like sulfate injection is guaranteed to negatively affect farmland in certain regions of the world and there's no way a country like China is going to sit back and say "yeah, we're totally happy to live with widespread famines so that NYC doesn't sink."

Sulfate injection is probably the most disruptive form of geoengineering, and really only gets evaluated because of its low cost. Most of the focus now is on negative emissions technologies. That said, we should probably still inject enough sulfates to compensate for the ones that are removed as coal plants are phased out as part of mitigation. It's not like there's any reason to believe deliberate geoengineering is somehow more dangerous than doing it accidentally - quite the opposite really.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Right, but sulfate injection is a reasonable possibility because it's cheap and easy. Negative emissions technologies are expensive on the scales needed and have no economic justification as anything other than massive projects to combat climate change. Going hugely negative on global emissions is baked into all of the mainstream carbon budgets already in any case.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Thug Lessons posted:

It's not like there's any reason to believe deliberate geoengineering is somehow more dangerous than doing it accidentally - quite the opposite really.

It's way different optics when it's something everyone is doing because we're crap at judging externalities, than when loving Bangladesh announces it's going to intentionally start releasing gases into the atmosphere to alter the climate on a global scale.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

we;lp

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/953717081551249409

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's a near-earth asteroid going by in the next couple weeks and it makes me wonder:

If a medium sized one looks like it might hit, do you think would be better or worse off if we helped it out a little bit? A skyscraper sized rock would supposedly cause 8° of global cooling.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

There's a near-earth asteroid going by in the next couple weeks and it makes me wonder:

If a medium sized one looks like it might hit, do you think would be better or worse off if we helped it out a little bit? A skyscraper sized rock would supposedly cause 8° of global cooling.

Kinda risky. Better hope it doesn't land in the Black Sea or something like that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

Setting aside the devastation from the impact, the cooling rebound would gently caress us.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Conspiratiorist posted:

Setting aside the devastation from the impact, the cooling rebound would gently caress us.

Yes but would it gently caress us more or less than the status quo?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I’d be OK with a giant cloth shade in orbit that can block out some of the sun. Particularly if we can control it, like double the size and cut down on the rays on hot days. It was too sunny today, too sunny.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Chadzok posted:

I’d be OK with a giant cloth shade in orbit that can block out some of the sun. Particularly if we can control it, like double the size and cut down on the rays on hot days. It was too sunny today, too sunny.

respectfully, please go back to GBS, Mr President

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
The Global Climate Report - Annual 2017 is finally out. Excerpt:
"The monthly global land and ocean temperatures at the start of 2017 were extremely warm, with the first four months each ranking as the second warmest for their respective months, behind the record year 2016. Of particular note, the global land and ocean temperature for the month of March 2017 was 1.03°C (1.9°F) above the 20th century average—this marked the first time the monthly temperature departure from average surpasses 1.0°C (1.8°F) in the absence of an El Niño episode in the tropical Pacific Ocean. After reaching its peak monthly temperature departure from average in March, temperatures began to slowly decrease in magnitude, ranging between +0.73°C to +0.88°C (+1.31°F to +1.58°F). The remainder months ranked among the four warmest on record, giving way to 2017 becoming the third warmest year in NOAA's 138-year record. The 2017 average global temperature across land and ocean surface areas was 0.84°C (1.51°F) above the 20th century average of 13.9°C (57.0°F), behind the record year 2016 (+0.94°C / +1.69°F) and 2015 (+0.90°C / +1.62°F; second warmest year on record) both influenced by a strong El Niño episode. The year 2017 is also the warmest year without an El Niño present in the tropical Pacific Ocean."

There are other things in the report as well, though it isn't as long as the U.S. report.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Evil_Greven posted:

The Global Climate Report - Annual 2017 is finally out. Excerpt:
"The monthly global land and ocean temperatures at the start of 2017 were extremely warm, with the first four months each ranking as the second warmest for their respective months, behind the record year 2016. Of particular note, the global land and ocean temperature for the month of March 2017 was 1.03°C (1.9°F) above the 20th century average—this marked the first time the monthly temperature departure from average surpasses 1.0°C (1.8°F) in the absence of an El Niño episode in the tropical Pacific Ocean. After reaching its peak monthly temperature departure from average in March, temperatures began to slowly decrease in magnitude, ranging between +0.73°C to +0.88°C (+1.31°F to +1.58°F). The remainder months ranked among the four warmest on record, giving way to 2017 becoming the third warmest year in NOAA's 138-year record. The 2017 average global temperature across land and ocean surface areas was 0.84°C (1.51°F) above the 20th century average of 13.9°C (57.0°F), behind the record year 2016 (+0.94°C / +1.69°F) and 2015 (+0.90°C / +1.62°F; second warmest year on record) both influenced by a strong El Niño episode. The year 2017 is also the warmest year without an El Niño present in the tropical Pacific Ocean."

There are other things in the report as well, though it isn't as long as the U.S. report.

gently caress yeah

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Huh how did that happen? Everything was going so well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:dance::dance::dance:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I, for one, am fully engorged.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

TildeATH posted:

Yes but would it gently caress us more or less than the status quo?

I'd venture to say more but I don't want to be chided for unscientific speculation.

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?
Some interesting reading here on the effects of Climate Change and the subsequent proposed disaster management for the City of Cape Town, South Africa. The city is rapidly approach Day Zero (currently expected to be 21 April 2018): https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2018-01-22-from-the-inside-the-countdown-to-day-zero

What is Day Zero?
Dams supplying the city with water are at a crucial low. This crucial low means that dam storage will be at 13.5%. This is when the city will turn off most taps, leaving only vital services with access to water. On Day Zero, Cape Town residents will have to collect water at 200 collection sites or points of distribution in Cape Town. The City estimates that about 20 000 people will be able to collect water per site per day.

EDIT: There have a been number of questions in the past in this thread related to how Climate Change would impact people on a day to day basis. The article I linked to provides *some* insight into what happens at a practical level in a scenario where water becomes a scarce resource in a metropolitan area. It's penned by the Western Cape Premier (Helen Zille) who's currently squabbling with the Cape Town mayor (Patricia de Lille) as well as her own party (the Democratic Alliance who runs the province) and the country's ruling party (the ANC). Petty politics aside, it really is worth a read even if you skip the paragraphs where she's playing the blame game. As others have pointed out though, politics will likely always be yet another hurdle we have to take into account when dealing with climate change scenarios and it's thus enlightening in that regard too.

vanmartin fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 22, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Isn't that (20k) like 5 percent of the population

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Isn't that (20k) like 5 percent of the population

20k per site. Presumably they'll have more than one site

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?

Nuclear War posted:

20k per site. Presumably they'll have more than one site

Correct. There's mention made of 200 collection sites.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay I miss read that. I was wondering how the gently caress that was going to work

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Okay I miss read that. I was wondering how the gently caress that was going to work

As a resident of the ct area I am very much wondering how the gently caress this is going to work even with a better number slotted into this skeleton of a plan.

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

As a resident of the ct area I am very much wondering how the gently caress this is going to work even with a better number slotted into this skeleton of a plan.

Ya'll need reverse-jesus to turn all your wine back into water. On a more serious note though, as a fellow South African I'm really worried for Cape Town residents. Things could turn nasty real quick.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Hopefully, the increased water usage they're seeing is people stockpiling water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

People aren't stockpiling water 90 days ahead.