Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I wish I had an evil mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

shovelbum posted:

the thing about trek is that a ton of it was always bad and a lot of it only seemed good bc of the optimism and soothing hum

like we probably passed that point in S3 of TOS

"a bunch of it sucked before" doesn't really make me feel better about how most of it sucks even more now because even the optimism and soothing hum are gone

SpeakSlow posted:

I wish I had a Tantalus Field. Most of this thread would disappear.

There's more thoughtfulness in every Trek thread on SA than has come out of any material from this franchise since 1999

and that'll still be true no matter how much you keep posting

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tighclops posted:

"a bunch of it sucked before" doesn't really make me feel better about how most of it sucks even more now because even the optimism and soothing hum are gone

There's more thoughtfulness in every Trek thread on SA than has come out of any material from this franchise since 1999

The current show seems to be finding a pretty good direction in a serial format, I'm glad they seem to be going with a relatively long season by modern standards (15 eps) and I think it works well with an abnormal ship, abnormal crew, and abnormal conditions. It even respects canon/continuity somewhat though the Klingon makeup is a bit odd.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Burnham as a Culturally Vulcan Human is okay, but I still get mad that they had to gild the lilly and literally make her Spock's never-before-acknowledged stepsister. There can be more than four Vulcans in the galaxy, writer guys.

There are five but nobody wants to talk about Spock's other brother Spick.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

shovelbum posted:

The current show seems to be finding a pretty good direction in a serial format, I'm glad they seem to be going with a relatively long season by modern standards (15 eps) and I think it works well with an abnormal ship, abnormal crew, and abnormal conditions. It even respects canon/continuity somewhat though the Klingon makeup is a bit odd.

I'd be all for the stretching of their stories and character development across multiple episodes if those stories and characters were interesting and cool instead of tired and lovely like the production design, and their references to prior shows (whether they come off as fanservice or not) mean gently caress all in light of that

Like I'm not saying there's no redeeming factors in the show or that all the episodes are as bad as the next or that it can never improve but STD's been Walking Dead levels of pissweak from the start

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

There are five but nobody wants to talk about Spock's other brother Spick.

lmao

naem
May 29, 2011

shovelbum posted:

the thing about trek is that a ton of it was always bad and a lot of it only seemed good bc of the optimism and soothing hum

WAAAAUUUM

WAAAAUUUMM

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The fight with the gorn is remembered because it was good.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tighclops posted:

I'd be all for the stretching of their stories and character development across multiple episodes if those stories and characters were interesting and cool instead of tired and lovely like the production design, and their references to prior shows (whether they come off as fanservice or not) mean gently caress all in light of that

Like I'm not saying there's no redeeming factors in the show or that all the episodes are as bad as the next or that it can never improve but STD's been Walking Dead levels of pissweak from the start

no way can any other show physically suck as hard as walking dead

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

shovelbum posted:

no way can any other show physically suck as hard as walking dead

Just wait until ST:D's budget is cut by more than half and the entire crew is trapped in a "testing facility" that resembles a Paramount soundstage by mysterious overseers voiced by freeware vocaloids so they don't need to pay an extra actor for three quarters of a season

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

numberoneposter posted:

I wish I had an evil mustache.

lol just lol if you aren't growing out your goatee when we're clearly living in the mirrorverse

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay, I'm convinced that post-algae planet BSG has just run out of ideas for a continuing plot. Let's just kill off Starbuck this episode! And in this one Tyrol is a union worker! Now Helo is trying to help anti vaxxers! Let's drag out Baltar's trial for six goddamn episodes!

I did love how they tried to show that Baltar was originally from hick planet but they clearly couldn't convince the actor to say the lines so any time he switched his accent they did an extreme close up so you can't tell they swapped out him for another actor.

You're at the part where BSG takes a nosedive in quality and aside from a few episodes mostly flails around.

naem
May 29, 2011

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

lol just lol if you aren't growing out your goatee when we're clearly living in the mirrorverse

Imagine the reaction from another dimension when you try to explain that where you're from Trump is the president

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

naem posted:

Imagine the reaction from another dimension when you try to explain that where you're from Trump is the president

We're in the timeline where Biff Tannen runs Hill Valley.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

Ouch! I was just gonna send you to another universe where my posting didn't suck. Just a small cut. *swings around a butcher knife and stops to hack at a pile of grapefruit on the room service cart*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
BSG: Crossroads.

Holy poo poo, the fact that this show can't even do proper math anymore is the least of this episode's problems.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lmao are you serious, that's hilarious I somehow didn't even notice that on first watch (and then never rewatched)

You didn't notice it because it isn't true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F5stQkdH48

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sweet geek swag posted:

I stand corrected.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Also lol at one point Spock says outright that there has never been a mutiny on a Starfleet vessel. Covering for something there Spock?!?!

it's probably crazy and insane to expect any writer to both watch and remember all of the prior episodes of star trek to get the canon right, but one thing that bugged me when i was reading about jj trek is that apparently all he (or maybe it was the writers?) did to prepare was like watch 5 episodes of the first season of the original series. that's just some lazy poo poo.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
crimson carrots, i am very close to giving up on poz my neg trek. i just started the new ep and the loving misery is so overwrought, listening to mikey b drone on about how even the light in this evil universe isn't as bright and space isn't so magickal and intriguing and after an entire weekend in this dreadful place she can feel her humanity slipping through her blood stained fingers as her last vestiges of hope and wonder and happiness are stripped away by the cold biting teeth of her present reality, she finds herself staring at the agony booth, wondering if perhaps what she seeks lies within its doors - perhaps she'll finally feel something in there, because anything is better than nothing at all :(

like mirror universe eps were always, ALWAYS campy and fabulous and this humorless depressing soul asylum song of a universe is the worst possible direction they could have chosen. it was even possible for them to have done something fun and still play it straight. but they had to play it straight down the fuckin toilet

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think that's the thing about stepping into your mirror identity though right, it's an express train to madness bc either you become as bad as they are ASAP or die horribly

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

it's probably crazy and insane to expect any writer to both watch and remember all of the prior episodes of star trek to get the canon right, but one thing that bugged me when i was reading about jj trek is that apparently all he (or maybe it was the writers?) did to prepare was like watch 5 episodes of the first season of the original series. that's just some lazy poo poo.

brother it is loving shameful, and they shyould be ashamed, until they are lowered 6 feet down itno the God drat earth, Dead as a doornail. gently caress em. gently caress EM!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfao

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Smythe posted:

brother it is loving shameful, and they shyould be ashamed, until they are lowered 6 feet down itno the God drat earth, Dead as a doornail. gently caress em. gently caress EM!

"i'm from buenos aeries and i say kill them all!" -- kirk after the klingons killed his daughter in the episode with the whales

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
JJ pisses me off taht little shrimp. BItch. I say this as a 100% Shrimpy Manlet, Beta Cuck, but at least I'm not JJ. IMagine. I Watched All of Star Trek, every single Episode, and Movie, including the Animated Series, just to BEGIN to discuss STAR TREK, and here, this FUcker, this loving PEICE OF poo poo, get the whole Franchise under his AIDS infected grasp.... for watch 5 eps? Shameful. Karma will come to him, in time. Maybe not in this life, but in the next, and in theMIrroe Universe, even moreso. They will pay for their crimes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

sweet geek swag posted:

awwww :(

Really? When Harve Bennett was preparing to produce the second Star Trek movie he went and watched through all of TOS.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha, it occurs to me now that into darkness may have been made and released without anyone involved ever having watched wrath of khan or the tos khan episode. well, aside from nimoy.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

awwww :(

Really? When Harve Bennett was preparing to produce the second Star Trek movie he went and watched through all of TOS.

i think it was just jj but i cant find the specific quote anymore, but 5 minutes of googling revealed this quote from jj:

quote:

I had no idea there had been 10 movies! I still haven't seen them all. I didn't want to become a student of Star Trek. I felt that was actually one of the few advantages I had. I was trying to make a movie, not trying to make a Trek movie.

so i wouldn't be shocked if 5 episodes was an exaggeration. how can you not even be bothered to know how many previous movies were in the franchise of the movie you are making. then the lazy motherfucker tries to pass that off as an "advantage"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

and i'm not saying he's bad at movies or whatever, i'm just saying he's lazy as gently caress because that's lazy as gently caress.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
It's embarrassing. A black mark on Hollywood history.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, why would it be weird to expect someone in that position to have a depth and breadth of Trek knowledge?

It's not like you look at any other job and go "It's probably crazy and insane to expect a machinist to know a lot about machining. I mean, all those different bits? And so many metals?!?"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i'm going to beat him up

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think it was just jj but i cant find the specific quote anymore, but 5 minutes of googling revealed this quote from jj:

so i wouldn't be shocked if 5 episodes was an exaggeration. how can you not even be bothered to know how many previous movies were in the franchise of the movie you are making. then the lazy motherfucker tries to pass that off as an "advantage"
To be fair to him, the alternative was simply filing the details off the first trek movie but making V'Ger a planet so it feels more epic.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

he should have made a deep space 9 movie so we could all see quark on the big screen

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

do any of you own a bat'leth?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

he should have made a deep space 9 movie so we could all see quark on the big screen

he deserves that big scale contract

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
our friend armin works at antaeus so you should support his good works and deeds if you're in the area fyi http://antaeus.org/about-us/board-staff/

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

do any of you own a bat'leth?

Can you be more specific? :smug:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, why would it be weird to expect someone in that position to have a depth and breadth of Trek knowledge?

It's not like you look at any other job and go "It's probably crazy and insane to expect a machinist to know a lot about machining. I mean, all those different bits? And so many metals?!?"

but star trek sucks so it's cruel to make someone watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

Season 6 of Voyager...almost there...stay strong...

I'm on Season 3. The episode where Kess was turned into a crazy warlord was pretty good. It's nice they continued that story about the Ferengi from TNG. All in all it's about 25% good. Did Chakotay actually bang Janeway or did VOY finding the cure block him soon enough?