Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also how does it gently caress over people? Just don't use those abilities if you can't hit the breakpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm only annoyed in the specific case of the -bringers, where i'd much rather they just buffed saint cross and the earth one instead of having to beef up def

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Fister Roboto posted:

Also how does it gently caress over people? Just don't use those abilities if you can't hit the breakpoint.

Thats my point though. Why would they gimp abilities like that, especially when equivalents in the same schools don't have too, or some abilities with similar uses in different schools don't have to either. It hurts people who don't have access to numerous buffs.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.

Shoenin posted:

Thats my point though. Why would they gimp abilities like that, especially when equivalents in the same schools don't have too, or some abilities with similar uses in different schools don't have to either. It hurts people who don't have access to numerous buffs.

The idea is to tempt them into getting those numerous buffs. The problem with Ogopogo and Tiamat currently is more that they should have buffed the base amount of hits to give them a niche compared to the other summons, since, as is, the higher mult doesn't compensate the hurdle to get the buffs online.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're not exactly gimped either. The 2-hit breakpoint is 12.0 potency, slightly above 5* chaingas though with less hits.

Still not seeing how that hurts people in any way.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Ill give an example, against Living Flame:

I got a fully legend dived Rydia with a ++ Red Scorpion fully Augmented, ++ Rydia guise, and a +30 Mag accessory. 587 magic. Even with devotion, still cant hit that 3 hit breakpoint unless I bring 3 Faithgas, but by then I do as much damage, if not more with Chain Waterga because Ogo is capped/near cap in damage with just 2.

Granted I dont have magic boon Magicites (yet) so that might actually put it over with 2 Faithgas, not sure on the math.
But the point stands: That's pretty unreasonable requirements just to have some moves work equally as others.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
They don't work equally, though: at the 2-hit threshold, they deal more damage overall than Chain Waterga against multiple targets (I'd wager it'd be this way with even two targets rather than one). And the niche on summons is their AoE. Also, if you're fully dived, you're trying to fish for the procs on dualcast and quickcast, which Chain Waterga can't trigger - at which point, it becomes a tradeoff. Also, at your numbers, you can bring just the 3* Faith ability or a BSB's passive stat boosts to not bring a third Faithga (if you're running mages, you don't go anywhere with a single Faithga anyway).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

All of my sub-30 parties have at least two faithgas and/or boostgas, and three isn't unreasonable either. You're complaining about nothing dude.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Parasol touched on it but don't forget Ogopogo and Tiamat were also the only summons at 5* that were capable of three hits. I guess they decided 4 hits was OP post ability buff.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
A newbie or someone who hasnt played that long will probably not reach that point for a long while because they simply don't have access to it, or some poor sap has the worst luck ever. Which was my point to begin with: kinda screws people still trying to gear up by basically gimping a move for them. 3 moderate faithgas that have different modifiers is actually pretty unreasonable when you need literal luck to even get most of them or haven't done all the Magicites. Same with Physical moves that do the same. It's just a ceiling in place for no real reason.
I did forget about that they were the only ones that were capable of 3 before(good point), but now its just redundant to have it.

On an entirely different note: Hello Baptism in Ruin. Been awhile since Bart used you to be a dickhead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You could just not use those abilities though? It doesn't screw anyone. You're talking nonsense.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Summons in general feel kind of underwhelming after the ability buff. 3 hits and less uses make them feel like less of a worthwhile investment of 5* motes compared to other abilities.

I'm probably diving Alphinaud though so maybe he'll be a major boon for them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Are we ever going to get another 6* machinist skill so that there's an actual point in accumulating all of these machinist motes?

Can't believe Penalty Snipe didn't get retuned in one of those giant balance changes.

Also good lord Dena give me some more spellblade motes, for the love of god.

Parasol Waddle Dee posted:

I think it actually got a multiplier buff. That it remains mostly unnoticed is a testament to how awful the ability is.

Penalty Snipe is poo poo, but that means you never have to worry about grinding Ice/Lightning/Dark crystals if you want to do that.

On top of that, some characters (Laguna, Mustadio, Prompto) appreciate having that essentially-free +3% Machinist damage on their 5* skills, since you don't need to worry about spreading 6* access around.

iamsosmrt posted:

Summons in general feel kind of underwhelming after the ability buff. 3 hits and less uses make them feel like less of a worthwhile investment of 5* motes compared to other abilities.

I'm probably diving Alphinaud though so maybe he'll be a major boon for them.

They're more powerful across the board (though Ogopogo and Tiamat are fiddly, as argued) per-hit than black magic, plus they're AoE. It's a problem if you're hitting damage cap, but if not, then they do okay still.

Fister Roboto posted:

The XIV banner is pretty much mandatory if you're an XIV player though.

I can't wait for how many XIV fans are going to get mad at Haurche's USB.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I can pull on the water banner now and maybe one more time before it goes away. As a newbie with only 10 relics should I pull?

I got the 6* staff and sword from the ok banner already.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Washout posted:

I can pull on the water banner now and maybe one more time before it goes away. As a newbie with only 10 relics should I pull?

It's not a bad banner, but it's a technical one; the stuff there will be "okay" as a new player but come into their own as someone running high-end content and making/honing 5* skills and the like. If you want something a little more newbie-friendly, the FF3 banner is slightly better (with the caveat that OK takes a lot of work to make usable), but really, anything you pull on from here on out (except the Newcomer banners, those are eternal poo poo) will have at least SOMETHING good.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have apocalypse zeta for alphinaud but it requires so much resources compared to just having a r3 chain blizagga and r1 meltdown on vivi. maybe i am wrong about the resources required but it seems like i'd be better served getting some more chain spells honed for vivi than trying to gently caress with summoning stuff.

i will say that apocalypse zeta is really fuckin great to slap on to OK though

Washout posted:

KataraniSword posted:

It's not a bad banner, but it's a technical one; the stuff there will be "okay" as a new player but come into their own as someone running high-end content and making/honing 5* skills and the like. If you want something a little more newbie-friendly, the FF3 banner is slightly better (with the caveat that OK takes a lot of work to make usable), but really, anything you pull on from here on out (except the Newcomer banners, those are eternal poo poo) will have at least SOMETHING good.

i am probably a midrange player at this point and was shocked to see how many major dark orbs and major ice orbs i was going to need for the two awesome Edge relics i pulled on the water banner. although i also get the impression that if you get the Tidus stuff you're set for basically ever as far as damage dealers go.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I ran 700 stamina worth of black crystal dungeons today and ended up finding a single pot.

Never farm might be my new never pull.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah the number of good skills that require dark orbs is pretty dumb. I consistently have like 3x as many of any other major orb, except for Ice now.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Tried an ok, rude, Ingus, Celes, yshtola setup like I said earlier vs hydra.

30.25s.

Sigh.

I did pretty well and had solid luck too, so I'm not entirely sure what my next move should be.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Probably won't be crafting this one, but first nightmare boss down. :toot:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Pander posted:

Tried an ok, rude, Ingus, Celes, yshtola setup like I said earlier vs hydra.

30.25s.

Sigh.

I did pretty well and had solid luck too, so I'm not entirely sure what my next move should be.

Celes with Quake Strike seems like the weak link there right now (until we get the actual earth quadstrike), but I dunno what your other earth options are. Maybe Gaia Cross + Earthbringer would be better on her, assuming your defense would be high enough to get 4 hits?

edit: also, in case you happen to be an obsessive hoarder, you might have an old FFIII gaia vest sitting in your vault with + earth on it, if you can handle the bit hit to def / res on it. Helped me squeeze out a bit of extra dps.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 17, 2018

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Celes with Quake Strike seems like the weak link there right now (until we get the actual earth quadstrike), but I dunno what your other earth options are. Maybe Gaia Cross + Earthbringer would be better on her, assuming your defense would be high enough to get 4 hits?

I had that on Ingus. Not much else he can do.

She has her lmr and is fully dived, so quake strike makes the most sense imo.

I don't have any other useful physical earth SBs except tifa usb and meliadoul BSB, neither of which seem weighty enough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Avalerion posted:

Probably won't be crafting this one, but first nightmare boss down. :toot:

Gartz! And yeah, it's an AoE attack with a high KO chance, if I were sitting on a bunch of spare crystals somehow I might make it for torment trash waves but that's a niche that it really isn't an issue to fill (and Torment trash is a great time to charge SBs to nuke the boss anyway).

A lot of the 6-stars are either "OMG the best" or junk, with a few mehs in there too.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Pander posted:

I don't have any other useful physical earth SBs except tifa usb and meliadoul BSB, neither of which seem weighty enough.

I wonder if using Ingus as a total dead weight after his chain and switching the combo to Celes would be enough to offset it. Looking at your setup, I might try:

OK with PUSB, Wrath / Entrust + Mako Might
Rude with Meteor Strike / Gaia Rush + Scholar's Boon
Ingus with Protectga / Lifesiphon + Dr. Mogs
Celes with Gaia Cross / Earthbringer + Face the Past (or Love's Wake, etc.)
Healer with Curada / Shellga + Thunder God's Might

Turn 1: OK fires off usb, healer fast-casts Wall, Celes hits Gaia Cross, Ingus hits Protectga.
Turn 2: OK starts wrathing to entrust to Rude / healer as needed, Celes waits until Ingus casts his chain, then start spamming Earthbringer, healer fast-casts Shellga then starts spamming Curada until BSB is up

Bring Shell Dragon as your main magicite to imperil earth and have Ingus use that after protectga + his chain. After that he's basically useless unless you feel like crafting another Earthbringer I guess. With buffs + imperil you should be making GBS threads out a lot of damage with Celes and Rude. it's not ideal and it might not be enough to sub-30 still, but might be worth a shot if you get bored. Worst case is if it goes over 30 seconds you can just quit and keep your stamina / keystone.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Using OK as an Entrust bot with his pUSB has been pretty rad. It's not quite Shelke levels of shenanigans but at least I didn't have to dump precious motes into a character I don't care about.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Anyone have any feedback on the better ninja dive? I have yuffie lmr (chance to blink on ninja skill) and bsb (enwater) and edge usb (chase with blinks active) and I can’t figure out which would be better in practice with the dualcast ninja lm2. I want to work one into a water team and am not sure if I can budget mythril for chasing their later relics. Sort of leaning yuffie because dex motes are a bitch.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Washout posted:

OK staff and sword? If so, good pullin.

The water banner is great, but as Katarani said, it won't show its true colours until much later in your FFRK career.

Every single upcoming banner is great, and worth considering for a pull or two. Orlandeau is coming in three or four weeks and is the next godbanner that everyone is saving for.

If I were you, I'd be A) destroying Realm dungeons as fast as possible and B) saving 2 or 3 pulls for Orlandeau and then the rest for the 3rd Anni at the end of March.

Still though, if you can't help yourself, the Type-0, FF14, and FF1 banners are all great, with only the FF14 one being less than amazing. Unless you want Alphinaud gear.

quote:

Anyone have any feedback on the better ninja dive? I have yuffie lmr (chance to blink on ninja skill) and bsb (enwater) and edge usb (chase with blinks active) and I can’t figure out which would be better in practice with the dualcast ninja lm2. I want to work one into a water team and am not sure if I can budget mythril for chasing their later relics. Sort of leaning yuffie because dex motes are a bitch.

Well the funny thing here is that Edge is the better dive option both as his dive is better and his USB is godly, BUT, if you luck out on the 3rd Anni and score Yuffie's USB2 then you'll be kicking yourself for not diving her.

If you can wait, I'd actually hold off until you try for her USB2.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I got tidus osb, do I pull again or save for the above banners? I'm still just grinding realms.

And yeah got ok staff and sword and ingus bsb from 2 draws on the ok banner before this.

Washout fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 17, 2018

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Washout posted:

I got tidus osb, do I pull again or save for the above banners? I'm still just grinding realms.

And yeah got ok staff and sword and ingus bsb from 2 draws on the ok banner before this.

Those are great draws, definitely don't pull on OK anymore.

What relics do you feel like you need? Is there any content you can't do yet? What do you think your weaknesses are? These are all more important questions to consider when trying to choose between banners.

If all you have on the water banner is Tidus OSB and you need DPS, you could do worse than pulling again on it.

All things being even though I'd save for Orlandeau.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.

Pander posted:

In your case, I’d just wait for the Type-0 event with the 4-hit earth spellblade ability to roll in next week. It’s almost 50% stronger than Quake Strike and has double the hits. That may well make the difference for that sub-30, and it’d avoid Ingus sandbagging problems.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Was dreading these Bart torment fights but ashe bsb, rapha bsb, and ok bsb + chain thundaga with a forbidden wisdom RW made short work if all of them

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
Barthandelus hitting for three-digit damage on his strongest stuff post-mitigation really drives home how far Torments have fallen on the totem pole. I’m not saying no to the Vit+Wis motes, though, they landed me Cloud’s Legend Dive and will etch me Yuffie’s as soon as the Wisdom mote dungeon reopens on Sunday.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

Well the funny thing here is that Edge is the better dive option both as his dive is better and his USB is godly, BUT, if you luck out on the 3rd Anni and score Yuffie's USB2 then you'll be kicking yourself for not diving her.

If you can wait, I'd actually hold off until you try for her USB2.

What are you basing this on? I think she has the better dive from having more general ninja attack buffs. They're both viable options together however, since they only compete for bravery motes.

From what I know, once the ninja buff happens, even Edge's USB will be outmoded by simply using them directly. Her upcoming relic, however, I think comes after the buff and they made it extremely powerful.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

who the gently caress is shelke and why is she so good for wrathing and entrusting apparently

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Cowcaster posted:

who the gently caress is shelke and why is she so good for wrathing and entrusting apparently

Shelke is a character from Dirge of Cerberus. One of those "adult stuck in the body of a little girl" characters that animes love.

When you legend dive her she gets auto haste and 3 insta casts at the beginning of every fight. So she is perfect for wrathing and then immediately entrusting someone super early in the fight.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Cowcaster posted:

Her LM2 is Haste + Instant Cast 3 so you can put DMT/MM on her and insta-Entrust first turn then use the next two instant turns to Wrath up more bar. Or Wrath the first two turns and Entrust 1.72 bars to someone. Or put Ace Striker/Battleforged on her, Wrath twice, and Entrust a bar the third turn. Whatever sounds fun for the strategy you want to use

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Specifically, Shelke is the ONLY character (in global, there's one more in JP) with a Haste + Instacast 3 LM and Support 5, giving access to Wrath and Entrust. She can build and pass out SB bar faster than any other character in the game. This is immensely useful on timed content, ie. Magicite. When using an Entrust strategy, having Shelke as the Entrust bot will easily shave off 5-10 seconds from a clear time, which is big if you're aiming for those sub-30 clears.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I've heard that Shelke isn't as useful in 4* magicites. Do they disable entrust shenanigans somehow?

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
The topic title never gets old. This said, one of the things that people somewhat gloss over about Shelke’s Entrustbotting domination is that she makes juggling multiple SBs on a single character so much more viable it ain’t even funny. One thing I started doing after LDing her was bringing mages and healers with multiple SBs I’d want to use (like Rapha with USB and BSB and Rinoa with CSB and BSB2, or Aphmau with BSB and USB) and have her fuel their shenanigans. The way she works, she can crack a party’s flexibility wide open in spite of how limiting a dedicated Entrustbot slot might sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Does she need relics for that or just legend diving her?

• Locked thread