Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hey nice to see you again! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Rhyno. Here is your moment of Hollywood Zen.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Hey yall, long time no post. Been a little over a year but I think I'm finally in a position where it's okay to do so.

Around SASS last year a bunch of poo poo just went downhill (sorry, larrymer, your package was awesome) and I basically pulled myself totally offline to help it out.

Wife moved out in the spring, spent the summer and early fall living with a buddy doing dumb poo poo.

Dakota went from this

To an approximation of this

Not pictured is how it later ended up, with entirely different bumpers and no tailgate from wrecks. My friend and I built and co drove it. My best finish was an 8th (I think) but he pulled a 3rd in the last race, after we had to swap the entire steering rack in about w hours, including getting the parts.

So, wife and I worked things back out eventually, but it was too close to me getting out of the navy for her to move back.

So got out, job I had been promised and signed an offer for dissapeared, and I spent the next 2 months unemployed with zero offers.

After the holidays (or kind of in the middle, I guess) I interviewed a poo poo ton and finally got a job. Or more accurately I had 6 offers in the span of 2 days.

So now I'm working in an industry I've never worked in, no clue how I got the job, making basically what I did in the navy and just trying to survive.

Oh and somewhere in there I bought a beater 99 Acura TL. 229k when I bought it for 500 with a slipping trans. It's now at 239, drove me from CA to FL, and has had to PS hard line replaced and just gets topped up on fluids. Averaged 33.4mpg going across country, too.

Anyway, that's my STR length post to hopefully come out of jail and be able to post again because I miss you fucks. Leica, we gotta hook up some time now. :420:

Cool, glad to see you back! I was wondering what the hell happened to you :colbert:

Congrats on being out from under Uncle Sam's Thumb. What part of FL you in?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Cool, glad to see you back! I was wondering what the hell happened to you :colbert:

Congrats on being out from under Uncle Sam's Thumb. What part of FL you in?

Yeah, just had a lot of poo poo happen and was easier to disconnect at the time. I still read usually, just didn't post.

I'm out near Lakeland, so not too far. We actually did a little hotel trip in Decmeber to Madeira beach and I kept trying to remember where you worked down there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha, I work on Treasure Island, the next island just south of madeira :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
We'll have to get together at some point, probably meet up at st Pete GP or something.

I, for once, have a normal goddamn schedule and I don't know what the gently caress to do with free time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol, it's a funny thing when you get out of the military life. It's surreal at first. You mean I can do anything I want at anytime now? What is this thing you call freedom? Once you get used to it again you'll wonder why you ever went in to begin with.

I'll definitely be at the GP, my son and I go every year. Although this year I'm a little nervous because I didn't buy my usual seats, supposedly my wife is getting free tickets through work so we'll see how that goes. They are coming straight from a Firestone rep so I'm hoping we get good seats, maybe even paddock passes. We'll see you there for sure dude.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_gubdRMFAE

This shook my house about an hour ago

I thought it was a bomb or a salt truck hitting my house

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I spend over a month a year (spread out) in Florida at the beach and I love every second of it. Of course these are beach towns.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Lol, it's a funny thing when you get out of the military life. It's surreal at first. You mean I can do anything I want at anytime now? What is this thing you call freedom? Once you get used to it again you'll wonder why you ever went in to begin with.

I'll definitely be at the GP, my son and I go every year. Although this year I'm a little nervous because I didn't buy my usual seats, supposedly my wife is getting free tickets through work so we'll see how that goes. They are coming straight from a Firestone rep so I'm hoping we get good seats, maybe even paddock passes. We'll see you there for sure dude.

Yeah, it's taking some serious getting used to. The new beard is loving awesome though.

I'll just be doing GA like I do for every race, but I'll def be there. Trying to do Daytona next weekend but I doubt it'll work out. Sebring is going to happen for sure, though, and whatever dirt races I can make also. Being pretty glued to M-F makes it easier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need some help.

Is anyone here an actual alcoholic? I'm having what can only described as a craving for a drink and the sensation is kind of disturbing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I need some help.

Is anyone here an actual alcoholic? I'm having what can only described as a craving for a drink and the sensation is kind of disturbing.

didnt you quit drinking for the most part? just wanting to have a drink is not a bad thing, you only get into the 'bad cravings' state if you're drinking heavily, every single day.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They are coming straight from a Firestone rep so I'm hoping we get good seats, maybe even paddock passes. We'll see you there for sure dude.

Paddock passes at Indycar races are so worth it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I mean...im deffo an alcoholic, but what are the circumstances? Because I can quit for months on end but some situations just trigger that urge where nothing else feels like it'd help.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I call that 5 pm. But seriously a rough/long/whatever day makes most humans crave a drink. The craving isn't odd depending on the rest of the drinking you're doing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have all but quit drinking (there is still booze in the house) not because I had a problem but to get healthy. I had an exceptionally bad day and when I walked past the liquor cabinet when I got home it felt like I hadn't eaten in days but the growling wasn't in my stomach. I used to joke that I was a functional alcoholic but I never had a actual problem.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Do you just want to have a drink after a hard day, or do you want to drink a lot?

Big distinction IMO

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

epic bird guy posted:

Do you just want to have a drink after a hard day, or do you want to drink a lot?

Big distinction IMO

I have never had a craving like this. And I haven't had a drop of anything since NYE. I kind of just wanted to tip the bottle.

Edit: Like, it's gone now but it was a definite physical yearn.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 17, 2018

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Have a drink man. Poor a few ounces in a measuring cup and put the bottle away. Most hard liquors are something thing like 90 cal/oz so pour 4oz and that's only 360 calories. Nothing that will set you back and should take the edge off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna hit the elliptical in about half an hour so gonna pass on actually drinking. I'm also not saying that I am a full blown alcoholic, I just want to get some perspective on the physical sensation.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The physical craving means have a drink.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Distract yourself for 20 minutes and the craving will usually pass.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nidhg00670000 posted:

As someone who grew up somewhere without V8s in every car, you don't need more than 60hp to reach fun angles. Trust me. RWD is all you need.

My first car was an '84 Nissan/Datsun 720 pickup. I hear you loud and clear, sideways in an I-4 was just as much fun.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

iwentdoodie posted:

Anyway, that's my STR length post to hopefully come out of jail and be able to post again because I miss you fucks. Leica, we gotta hook up some time now. :420:

You need that post to be at least 5 or 6 times longer to qualify for STR club. :colbert:

Glad you got your poo poo sorted dude.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Wow, YouTube have just made a big change to who can and can't monetise videos with ads. From next month it changes from a 10k channel view threshold to 1k subscribers and 4k hours of view time in the preceding 12 months.

They're also going to be actively having real people curating things for "preferred" status, blatantly a direct response to the Logan Paul poo poo.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I wonder if that will make YouTube advertising more exclusive and valuable

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

gimpsuitjones posted:

I wonder if that will make YouTube advertising more exclusive and valuable

Given a lot of legit Youtubers saw the writing on the wall with the large drops in ad revenue sent their way and got their poo poo funded via Patreon or mech sales etc....... probably not.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Barely interesting delivery story.

Had one come in today. "Extra $5 if you bring Swishers". :siren: STONER IN DISTRESS SPOTTED. :siren:

Fired him a text just asking what flavor. He responded. I brought food, I brought Swishers, pretty sure I had a contact high before I even got out of my car.

I can't ignore a pothead in distress call! (no, I did not smoke... I won't drive when high, and it was the beginning of my shift)

Cage posted:

Shoot you don't even need rwd. An easily accessible hand brake will give you plenty of fun.

This. When we actually do get winter precip, it turns into solid ice on the roads. Once the roads are empty I steer with the parking brake. :getin:

Nothing like sliding sideways past your place of employment (on the road, mind you) and getting a text 30 seconds later from your boss saying "STOP DOING THAT IN FRONT OF THE STORE" (followed by texts/FB messages from coworkers asking how crazy I am, since they'd all given up trying to deliver hours ago... and I was still out doing delivery until there was no more to deliver)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My first car was a 1980 Pontiac Bonneville. It was the length of a city block and had a slow as balls 4 barrel V8. The length made it stupid easy to just hang the tail of the car out for a quarter mile at a time on my way to high school. Just a series of over-corrections all the way down the unplowed roads was hilarious.

Sixteen year old me was a dumbass, but I also kind of envy him.

1980 F-150 here, but with a 2 barrel V8.

I think it had 130 hp... new. I don't know how many times the odometer rolled over by the time I got it. It would barely break one wheel loose in the rain if you power braked it. The only time I ever managed to actually spin both rear tires was on an icy road (it struggled even on dirt roads.. that thing was tired).

iwentdoodie posted:

:glomp:

Glad to see you back, but that post was a little on the short side for the ST....

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You need that post to be at least 5 or 6 times longer to qualify for STR club. :colbert:

GODDAMNIT.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 17, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Barely interesting delivery story.

Had one come in today. "Extra $5 if you bring Swishers". :siren: STONER IN DISTRESS SPOTTED. :siren:

:lol: I've never actually tried to get a delivery guy to go the extra mile. I feel like I need to now.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

GODDAMNIT.

:v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

iwentdoodie posted:

Hey yall, long time no post. Been a little over a year but I think I'm finally in a position where it's okay to do so.

Around SASS last year a bunch of poo poo just went downhill (sorry, larrymer, your package was awesome) and I basically pulled myself totally offline to help it out.

NP dude, wondered what happened to you. Glad you liked it. :D

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_gubdRMFAE

This shook my house about an hour ago

I thought it was a bomb or a salt truck hitting my house

Holy poo poo, we wondered what this was. Wife and I looked at each other and said "Was that thunder? It's like 10 degrees outside." Then checked the radar and there wasn't anything over us.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 17, 2018

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Rhyno - you're not an alcoholic. Sometimes cravings are just that, a craving. But if you want to be sure, send me the recipe for your man sauce so I can make my own.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
oh god there might be two whole snowflakes in NC, close everything

gently caress this poo poo, I'm gonna be pissed if I miss a day of work because of three loving inches

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

I have never had a craving like this. And I haven't had a drop of anything since NYE. I kind of just wanted to tip the bottle.

Edit: Like, it's gone now but it was a definite physical yearn.

lol, you're not an alcoholic. Just a drama queen.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I've been making some crock pot oatmeal lately, I never really cared for oatmeal but its been turning out really good - much better than instant. Its worth it alone for the smell of warm cinnamon in your house all day.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm down in Atlanta, and there was a dusting of snow.

It's like a state of emergency here, schools closed, radio hosts urging people to stay off the roads, anecdotes how even with their mighty 4x4 they were barely able to make it in, hilarious skid marks on the road from the few brave souls who decided to venture out.

As a native of the frozen north, Ahahahahahaha.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

It's like a state of emergency here, schools closed, radio hosts urging people to stay off the roads, anecdotes how even with their mighty 4x4 they were barely able to make it in, hilarious skid marks on the road from the few brave souls who decided to venture out.

I'm out playing in it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bajaha posted:

Not Atlanta, but still in the south, and it never, ever, ever gets old.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Wow, YouTube have just made a big change to who can and can't monetise videos with ads. From next month it changes from a 10k channel view threshold to 1k subscribers and 4k hours of view time in the preceding 12 months.

They're also going to be actively having real people curating things for "preferred" status, blatantly a direct response to the Logan Paul poo poo.

There goes a bunch of niche channels. Way to go Google, you're dealing with the billion-views rear end in a top hat you built by cutting off a bunch of small-time people instead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There goes a bunch of niche channels. Way to go Google, you're dealing with the billion-views rear end in a top hat you built by cutting off a bunch of small-time people instead.

One of my friends is a musician and he got hit by this, he's pretty pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
To be honest, if you aren't seeing at least those kinds of numbers, you'll make piss-all money from ads anyway, so while I agree it does little to properly stop the real shite that's on there (and YouTube dont actually want to, as it makes them big money), it's not really going to hurt the smaller channels in a measurable way.

How YouTube recommends videos and prioritises whether it's your content that gets pushed to people, that kind of black box algorithm stuff is what people should be concerned about if they're interested in channel growth.

• Locked thread