Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
unfortunately, i am very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who's been telling people that bot games are good for learning jungle

Who

I want to hit them in the head

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bot games are good for learning jungle if you have smite unlocked

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Bot games are good for practising your 1st clear - lol after that (except for running around taking all the kills before the ADC does)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

VodeAndreas posted:

Bot games are good for practising your 1st clear - lol after that (except for running around taking all the kills before the ADC does)

Practice tool is even better for that because you're not leaving someone going 1v2

Ama about playing a normal game with an ivern an olaf and a miss fortune mid

Meaning all of them the whole time

We went 4/33

Why do I play this game at 630 AM

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why do you play at all? League is a poo poo fest at lower levels and ranks Just go into ranked and bang those out if you're 30

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

njsykora posted:

The mission is basically just do your placements which isn't too bad.

Wasn't the common wisdom that doing placements — or playing ranked at all — at the start of the season is bad due to all the account boosters who will stomp you?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why do you play at all? League is a poo poo fest at lower levels and ranks Just go into ranked and bang those out if you're 30

That's what I'm working on! The changes to runes removed the biggest thing stopping me from wanting to put time into this game besides people being poo poo and I dream of the day where I will play with less poo poo people

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Can you still not ranked until 30?

Are the new runes somehow gated by level-ups the way old runes were?

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I mean basically everything except ranked solo/duo doesn't really matter anyways so just have fun stomping/getting stomped because it's all made up and the points don't matter

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Addamere posted:

No and sort of in that order, I think you unlock the last tree at fifteen and when you unlock a tree you get everything in it at once

So they're still gating but it feels more like gating so new players aren't overwhelmed with stuff going on as opposed to just forcing you to grind

Also the last tree is innovation which imo should be gated until you've played for a minute

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I dream of the day where I will play with less poo poo people

I have some bad news for you

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Addamere posted:

Wasn't the common wisdom that doing placements — or playing ranked at all — at the start of the season is bad due to all the account boosters who will stomp you?

It's not really account boosters, it's that the distribution of ranks gets shifted down due to the MMR soft reset so you have players who would normally be in diamond+ playing with golds/plats. This is exacerbated by the skill differential between ranks increasing the higher up the ladder you go.

That said, this also means that you get extra opportunities to smash people much worse than you and opportunities to practice against better players, so really you should Just Play

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

does anyone want to do placements today it is a snow day and there's no work or school. my name is gowby and i am on medication to make me not as angry at league now.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Practice tool is even better for that because you're not leaving someone going 1v2

Ama about playing a normal game with an ivern an olaf and a miss fortune mid

Meaning all of them the whole time

We went 4/33

Why do I play this game at 630 AM

if someone wants to practise jungle i do level 1 double kill cheese and get 40 kills and stack mejais

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Addamere posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/7bdwjn/unlocking_runes_reforged_oce_patch_722/

Someone documented the gating process, but here's the TLDR:

You always have a full runepage, but customization is unlocked over time . Inspiration isn't available until later.
Level 1-7: You just play whatever runes Riot says you get per champion
Level 8-10: You can swap between preset rune pages
Level 11-12: You can make a new rune page and you can choose primary path
Level 13-14: You can change your primary rune path's lesser runes
Level 15+ : You can fully change your runepage
Level 17: You can finally play Kleptomancy Gangplank (Inspiration is unlocked)

Also there is no magically best or worst time to play ranked regarding other people. Play when you feel like you're at your peak performance (not tired, super drunk, etc) and you'll overall get better results. There's no magic way to prevent "Faceslammin' 0/10 Yasuo" from showing up in your game.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 17, 2018

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dragongem posted:

There's no magic way to prevent "Faceslammin' 0/10 Yasuo" from showing up in your game.

Always ban Yasuo :eng101:

Thanks for the rest of the post, sated my curiosity

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Addamere posted:

Always ban Yasuo :eng101:

:agreed:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Game 1, I'm playing E max Nasus for all my promo games (except the first where I got jungle):

Not to prove a point, just because it's loving fun.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Mister Wiki building Off Tank Mid Morgana

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
how do you possibly die so often on Morgana

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gonna guess the 16/1 kat had something to do with it

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

How Rude posted:

how do you possibly die so often on Morgana

My ult is up and the enemy is grouped I'm gonna flash right in the middle and pentakill wait why is the screen grey now

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Sexpansion posted:

Game 1, I'm playing E max Nasus for all my promo games (except the first where I got jungle):

Not to prove a point, just because it's loving fun.

What runes are you using for AP nasus?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Spudalicious posted:

What runes are you using for AP nasus?

Just trying it out, but I did Inspiration + resolve

Biscuit may be unnecessary with klepto.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

i placed silver 5 after going 1-9 and feeding like hell in 8 out of the 10 games

what do you need to do to get into bronze :eyepop:

also im glad i can go back to unranked draft where i can do poo poo like bully darius toplane and get a doublekill on him and their jungler riven as adorable snow fawn poppy

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Kitfox88 posted:

i placed silver 5 after going 1-9 and feeding like hell in 8 out of the 10 games

also im glad i can go back to unranked draft where i can do poo poo like bully darius toplane and get a doublekill on him and their jungler riven as adorable snow fawn poppy

It's really only based on where you were last season. If you were gold you're going to be some kind of silver, if you were silver you're going to be some kind of bronze, etc.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

It's really only based on where you were last season. If you were gold you're going to be some kind of silver, if you were silver you're going to be some kind of bronze, etc.

i've never done rank placements before period beyond trying a game a few years ago and a game last year sometime, because i went 2 for 2 in placement games where someone my team literally called me racial slurs because i died in lane

only did it this year because of the missions, i wanted xp for that level up capsule :dong:

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

If you haven't played ranked before I'm pretty sure it takes into account your normal MMR when deciding where to place you

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
First game:

My build is dumb, I'm dumb, I've been playing nothing but botgames for FWotD for the last month+

I got beaten in lane, though in my defense I'm g5 and Zed was p4.
My cs is loving embarassing (almost 31min game) due mainly to his kill pressure.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

have you seen my baby posted:

If you haven't played ranked before I'm pretty sure it takes into account your normal MMR when deciding where to place you

I'm pretty sure Riot have denied this. I'm also pretty sure that they're wrong.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sexpansion posted:

I went like 2-8 and was in Silver 2 and got Silver 5 so this isn't entirely accurate even if it's a good metric

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

they also change a lot of stuff between seasons with the re-calibration so something that was true previously might not be true this season

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
What even is the current ADC meta, I hate this, I should just go back to the jungle and not have to last hit

:negative: All I want to do is improve

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fridurmus posted:

What even is the current ADC meta, I hate this, I should just go back to the jungle and not have to last hit

Miss Fortune slaps

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Fridurmus posted:

I'm basically going to not touch ranked until next patch after having done my placements because I want Double Relic Meta to die in a loving hole

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fridurmus posted:

pick tristana or vayne (or kog maw!!!) and do the dumb overheal relic shield build until they kill relic shield, then watch as some other new and stupid thing turns bot lane into 2-4 playable characters.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Alternatively just play Malphite and wreck the poo poo of dumb adcs forever.

Malphite owns.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Double relic shield meta actually owns bc you can do ridiculous poo poo like nami/Leona bot lane and win extremely hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HkH-tEajSg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
"Ugh even when I win my lane we lose."

- A 9/10 Yorick, 2018