Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arthil posted:

Maybe the guy that's never ran a 5E game shouldn't be homebrewing it out the rear end his first time?
GMs that have never ran a 5e game homebrewing it out the rear end their first time was literally one of their stated design goals.

Oh god.

We've become the monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Splicer posted:

GMs that have never ran a 5e game homebrewing it out the rear end their first time was literally one of their stated design goals.

Oh god.

We've become the monsters.

I never asked for this.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Arthil posted:

Maybe the guy that's never ran a 5E game shouldn't be homebrewing it out the rear end his first time?

I mean, I guess he could independently rediscover all the same problems and the same solutions for them, yeah.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

LogicNinja posted:

I mean, I guess he could independently rediscover all the same problems and the same solutions for them, yeah.

There's just merit to understanding the rules and how the game plays with them before you begin twisting/bending/changing them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arthil posted:

There's just merit to understanding the rules and how the game plays with them before you begin twisting/bending/changing them.

Whats the point in spending a quite a bit of money on books and then having to do most of the work yourself.

If I spent 60 bucks on a game and then had to mod it so it can actually function Id be pissed and demand my money back.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I think the issue is a lot of you guys think the game is something broken that needs to be fixed when it's just that the game is made to be simple. You take a much different point of view when changes you make are done to add complexity rather than believing you're fixing something that's broke.

And just for your last point: Elder Scrolls.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Arthil posted:

I think the issue is a lot of you guys think the game is something broken that needs to be fixed when it's just that the game is made to be simple. You take a much different point of view when changes you make are done to add complexity rather than believing you're fixing something that's broke.

You have confused "simple" with "poo poo", my friend. I admire your faith in the designers, and their ability to create something that matches their stated intentions, but it is misplaced.

The proposed changes to monster abilities actually reduce complexity in one notable area: spellcasting.
Just listing "can cast Web 3/day requires referencing that specific spell, how it works, and how to use it, as opposed to the full ability being there in the statblock and therefore much easier for the GM to read and use when appropriate.

The others are just quality of life changes that are generally worth it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I do think that the game could be improved by applying houserules to it (the exact number and nature will vary per group), and I do agree that a game that is merely mediocre out of the box is unsatisfying, and I do agree that the ease by which you can "mod" a game isn't an excuse, but I also agree with Arthil that one should really play the game as close to by-the-book as possible until they're comfortable with the very act of playing first.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Arthil posted:

This should be the starting point for all the (usually overheated) advice.

If you dont know how it plays to begin with, then adding functionally random (advice from strangers on the internet) math and subsystems is confusing and un-fun.

Starting to play after getting a decent understanding of the rules, and then adjusting based on your game, and your players, and hopefully conversations with your players, is a better route.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Arthil posted:

You seem a bit confused if you think DnD5e is a simple game. This is a simple game. DnD5e is several hundred times longer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arthil posted:

the game is made to be simple.
Someone has the shield master feat. When are they allowed shield bash someone?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I do think that the game could be improved by applying houserules to it (the exact number and nature will vary per group), and I do agree that a game that is merely mediocre out of the box is unsatisfying, and I do agree that the ease by which you can "mod" a game isn't an excuse, but I also agree with Arthil that one should really play the game as close to by-the-book as possible until they're comfortable with the very act of playing first.
This is true though. E: though the +con HP is good advice. Wait... Make it +str HP.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 17, 2018

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

So, wait, what are the thread-recommended houserules? I haven't run 5e before and would have preferred 4e, but my expectations were mostly "prepping encounters is more work and level 1 poo poo is back to being randomly deadly, but otherwise it'll be fine."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tzirean posted:

So, wait, what are the thread-recommended houserules? I haven't run 5e before and would have preferred 4e, but my expectations were mostly "prepping encounters is more work and level 1 poo poo is back to being randomly deadly, but otherwise it'll be fine."

Use point-buy or standard array.

Give players more HP at level 1. Common suggestions are a flat +10 HP, or add the CON score (not the mod, the score) to max HP.

Consider being more liberal with feats, such as allowing a feat AND an ASI to be taken.

Have some way of reminding people that Inspiration exists.

Encounter design needs work. I'm going to toot my own horn here: use this to supplant 5e's rules entirely, or use this if you're picking monsters via the MM.

Monster design needs work: always rejigger monsters so that between AC, Con saves, Dex saves, and Wis saves, you always have someone capable of attacking two of them, and possibly as many as three of them. Even a basic "four goblins" encounter should mean two of the Goblins will fling stones at you for 1d4 damage on a failed Dex save.

Use this as a guide on how to set skill check DCs.

Class-specific changes abound, but I wouldn't go into listing them all without knowing what people want to play. The most common ones are that martials need help relative to casters in general, Champion Fighters, Beastmaster Rangers, and Berserker Barbarians specifically are mediocre at best.

EDIT: Mind you, this doesn't really fix deep-seated issues like caster supremacy, but at that point you're better off playing another game than throwing in another page+ of rules.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 17, 2018

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any thoughts on reworking Arcane Archer to a ranger subtype?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: Mind you, this doesn't really fix deep-seated issues like caster supremacy, but at that point you're better off playing another game than throwing in another page+ of rules.
Outside combat, caster supremacy on most utility spells can be nearly neutralized by making most non combat spells ritual only. It open magic to anyone with the ritual caster feats and if you ignore the loving short as gently caress spell duration of some spells, there is no reason for a 13+ int characters at high level not to be magically potent. I wouldn't include summon spells but beyond that, it works rather well.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 17, 2018

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Stray thought: Since advantage is equivalent to something like +4.5 to a roll to hit:
For non-levelled generic monsters one way to tone down the super-swinginess of advantage would be to assign "monster advantage" as +2, and leave the normal advantage for the players. (Who, generally, will be excited at the extra chance for a critical hit. If you use crits for monsters this will also reduce their frequency, which is a probably a good thing, even though it still allows for the "normal" chance of a crit for players to fret over.)

https://critical-hits.com/blog/2012/06/11/dd-advantage-vs-flat-bonuses/
http://andrewgelman.com/2014/07/12/dnd-5e-advantage-disadvantage-probability/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

Stray thought: Since advantage is equivalent to something like +4.5 to a roll to hit:
For non-levelled generic monsters one way to tone down the super-swinginess of advantage would be to assign "monster advantage" as +2, and leave the normal advantage for the players. (Who, generally, will be excited at the extra chance for a critical hit. If you use crits for monsters this will also reduce their frequency, which is a probably a good thing, even though it still allows for the "normal" chance of a crit for players to fret over.)

This is good, and the broader point is that a bunch of poo poo can be "solved" if people would just get over the complete aversion to using flat bonuses that the designers are still trying to maintain a veneer of against all sense.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Splicer posted:

Someone has the shield master feat. When are they allowed shield bash someone?

Give me an attack roll, just your proficiency bonus.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CobiWann posted:

Give me an attack roll, just your proficiency bonus.
I meant the thingy where you can shove someone. The way it triggers is... not simple

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Splicer posted:

I meant the thingy where you can shove someone. The way it triggers is... not simple

Is the issue you're referring to that you need to use the Attack action first then shove second as a bonus action?

e: oops
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557816721810403329

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 17, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Speaking of the BM Ranger, did they ever release anything approximating an actual fix that wasn't just a different, better archetype?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Kurieg posted:

Speaking of the BM Ranger, did they ever release anything approximating an actual fix that wasn't just a different, better archetype?
I'm not one to declare it fixed but this is much better:
https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kaysette posted:

Is the issue you're referring to that you need to use the Attack action first then shove second as a bonus action?

e: oops
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557816721810403329
If you want to shield shove before attacking you declare an attack action then use your bonus action to shove them then you use your attacks granted by your attack action.

You can only move between attacks during your attack action, so you can't push a dude then follow them, but you can push, then whiff the air, then follow, then attack.

Simple!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 17, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
and if shoving the guy kills him, you must take your sword to the nearest other, so sayeth the rules

Did they clarify that you couldn't move between them somewhere?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Use point-buy or standard array.

Give players more HP at level 1. Common suggestions are a flat +10 HP, or add the CON score (not the mod, the score) to max HP.

Consider being more liberal with feats, such as allowing a feat AND an ASI to be taken.

Have some way of reminding people that Inspiration exists.

Encounter design needs work. I'm going to toot my own horn here: use this to supplant 5e's rules entirely, or use this if you're picking monsters via the MM.

Monster design needs work: always rejigger monsters so that between AC, Con saves, Dex saves, and Wis saves, you always have someone capable of attacking two of them, and possibly as many as three of them. Even a basic "four goblins" encounter should mean two of the Goblins will fling stones at you for 1d4 damage on a failed Dex save.

Use this as a guide on how to set skill check DCs.

Class-specific changes abound, but I wouldn't go into listing them all without knowing what people want to play. The most common ones are that martials need help relative to casters in general, Champion Fighters, Beastmaster Rangers, and Berserker Barbarians specifically are mediocre at best.

This is awesome, thanks. I intended to use the standard array, but I like the additional HP and the feat+ability instead of one or the other. Looking through your blog entries now!

Not sure what you mean by the rejiggering: should my players always be able to hit at least two monsters, or should the monsters always be able to hit two players?

Classes chosen so far are Druid, Sorcerer and Archfey Warlock, probably.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tzirean posted:

Not sure what you mean by the rejiggering: should my players always be able to hit at least two monsters, or should the monsters always be able to hit two players?
I mean if you have four goblins, and all of them either swing a sword against AC, or shoot a bow against AC, then it's possible to trivialize encounters by going all-in on high AC.

The solution is to attack not-AC defenses, but because of the way D&D does magic and how it designs monsters, a lot of the time there is no "basic" way to attack a saving throw just to deal some damage.

What I'm saying is, an encounter should always have the means to attack different defenses of the players.

If you have four goblins, two of them can swing a sword to attack AC, then one of them can shoot a bow to attack Dex saves, and then one of them can do a psychic attack against Wisdom saves, or a Poison attack against Constitution saves.

tzirean posted:

I wouldn't change a thing. Those classes are rock stars.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 17, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

tzirean posted:

Always give Warlocks at least 2 short rests per long rest. If that doesn't fit the natural pacing of the game (ie you only run 1-2 combats per day), then give them an extra spell slot.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Splicer posted:

You can only move between attacks during your attack action, so you can't push a dude then follow them, but you can push, then whiff the air, then follow, then attack.

Simple!

You can already split up movement before/after an action and between attacks. Basically move whenever. You can also use the shield bonus action during an attack, between the actual attacks.

edit: And this is probably a useful thing for the 4e DM to realize about 5e: it relies heavily on "ask your DM" and the DM equivalent is "ask Jeremy Crawford".

ritorix fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 17, 2018

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you have four goblins, two of them can swing a sword to attack AC, then one of them can shoot a bow to attack Dex saves, and then one of them can do a psychic attack against Wisdom saves, or a Poison attack against Constitution saves.

I was saying this at my local game store, how more varied defences would improve the game and one of the staff chimed in with "they tried that with dungeons and Azeroths and it ended up being terrible."

You know that feeling where you know the thing that just made you mad isn't at all a big deal and you're an adult and it's fine it's fine it's loving fine just relax pay for your card sleeves and go home, go home to your children. It's fine.

Why doesn't everyone just think and believe exactly what I do. It's frustrating.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's retarded but I love it

I really wanted to give 5e a chance, but this is painfully accurate.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I was saying this at my local game store, how more varied defences would improve the game and one of the staff chimed in with "they tried that with dungeons and Azeroths and it ended up being terrible."

You know that feeling where you know the thing that just made you mad isn't at all a big deal and you're an adult and it's fine it's fine it's loving fine just relax pay for your card sleeves and go home, go home to your children. It's fine.

Why doesn't everyone just think and believe exactly what I do. It's frustrating.

I was talking with some random person at my FLGS while I was waiting for the guy to price the Magic cards I was selling, and he mentioned refluffing. And I off handedly mentioned that it was easier to Refluff in 4e. And he reacted like I just suggested he eat dogshit before elaborating that he had not actually started playing until 5e, but his entire playgroup has constructed the Idea in his head that 4e is just a nebulous sphere of bad ideas from which no good games can escape.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean if you have four goblins, and all of them either swing a sword against AC, or shoot a bow against AC, then it's possible to trivialize encounters by going all-in on high AC.

The solution is to attack not-AC defenses, but because of the way D&D does magic and how it designs monsters, a lot of the time there is no "basic" way to attack a saving throw just to deal some damage.

What I'm saying is, an encounter should always have the means to attack different defenses of the players.

That makes a lot of sense and I probably wouldn't have figured it out this early. Thanks!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wouldn't change a thing. Those classes are rock stars.

OK, cool. We'll see what the other players want.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

tzirean posted:

OK, cool. We'll see what the other players want.

General rule of thumb is that classes that can cast 9th level spells (full spellcaster) are generally more effective than those capped at 5th level spells (partial spellcaster) and those are generally more effective than classes without any (martials).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kurieg posted:

I was talking with some random person at my FLGS while I was waiting for the guy to price the Magic cards I was selling, and he mentioned refluffing. And I off handedly mentioned that it was easier to Refluff in 4e. And he reacted like I just suggested he eat dogshit before elaborating that he had not actually started playing until 5e, but his entire playgroup has constructed the Idea in his head that 4e is just a nebulous sphere of bad ideas from which no good games can escape.

My friend, who I guarantee has never played a second of 4e or 5e (we formerly played 3e/3.5 extensively) moved to WI about two years back and then shortly after was telling us about how he had met a dude who plays D&D who explained to him (apropos of seemingly nothing since, again, my friend has no experience with or inclination to play 4e) that 4e was a WoW clone that made everything really dumb and bad.

I also similarly had my wife's cousin drop some random insults on 4e in the course of hinting that I should DM for his group because the guy who usually DMed for them had been flaking. And again, this isn't something we've discussed, he has literally zero idea what editions that I've played outside of my wife casually mentioning that I've played in the past.

So yeah, the anti-4e memes are still going strong and random people will absolutely make sure you know how they feel about what a dumb, lovely game it is, regardless of if you or they have ever played it or are ever even considering playing it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Dungeons and Azeroth" is so amazingly petty holy poo poo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

My friend, who I guarantee has never played a second of 4e or 5e (we formerly played 3e/3.5 extensively) moved to WI about two years back and then shortly after was telling us about how he had met a dude who plays D&D who explained to him (apropos of seemingly nothing since, again, my friend has no experience with or inclination to play 4e) that 4e was a WoW clone that made everything really dumb and bad.

I also similarly had my wife's cousin drop some random insults on 4e in the course of hinting that I should DM for his group because the guy who usually DMed for them had been flaking. And again, this isn't something we've discussed, he has literally zero idea what editions that I've played outside of my wife casually mentioning that I've played in the past.

So yeah, the anti-4e memes are still going strong and random people will absolutely make sure you know how they feel about what a dumb, lovely game it is, regardless of if you or they have ever played it or are ever even considering playing it.

Thankfully he seemed pretty open to the idea that he might be wrong about a thing that he never played, and his friend's argument that "5e is better than 4e because if 4e was good they wouldn't have made 5e" Falls apart because they also say that 5e is like 3.5 again, even though 4e should be better than 3.5.

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Dungeons and Azeroth" is so amazingly petty holy poo poo

Also this, the only thing MMOs are guilty of is scraping away the veneer of versimilitude that people classified classes as anything other than healer, tank, and dps. And 4e was a better game for going "yes, they're right." The only thing that was less well supported was the "Controller" Specialization which swung wildly between "Worse striker" and "Thing that actively ruins the DM's day."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Kurieg posted:

The only thing that was less well supported was the "Controller" Specialization which swung wildly between "Worse striker" and "Thing that actively ruins the DM's day."

I used my day ruining Wizard player as an excuse to make things look awesome. I'd regularly throw 20+ minions at them when I wanted to keep him busy for a turn. Or a trapdoor on the ceiling that would drop in 10 minions every turn until it was closed. All while there's a real big bad for the rest of the party.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I was referring more towards the Psions that can give elites -6 to all attack rolls all day long but can't deal with Minions to save their souls.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kurieg posted:

the only thing MMOs are guilty of is scraping away the veneer of versimilitude that people classified classes as anything other than healer, tank, and dps. And 4e
This is a really loving boring way to approach the game.

3e was bad for building up the "dungeons and spreadsheets" charop fetishism. "Scraping away the veneer" of playing a game that isnt just optimized numbers shuffling around a grid is even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As it turns out, reducing a game to numbers shuffling around on a grid also makes it really easy to write predictable design.

And besides, no matter how "boardgamey" your combat is, if you can still make narrative decisions as to who, what, how, where, and when to fight, is that not still roleplaying regardless?