Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sky Shadowing posted:

So long as they're not DLC. Moving Kickstarter commitments to paid DLC would give me a problem.

re-read the post and this concern should go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
:downs:

Ok we good.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It says it will be "no additional charge to backers", so as long as you backed you're good to go. That does sort of back-handedly imply it will be paid DLC for everybody else (sort of like the "Pre-order and get this DLC pack free!" deal a lot of games do nowadays), but that's just speculation.

I'm sad to see the legendary mechwarriors and mechs go, as well as the famous cameos, but I acknowledge that those and the multiplayer stuff are undoubtedly the best stuff to put on the back-burner to focus on the core content. I can see people being salty about the Linux launch being delayed.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Linux will cause salt because yeah that means if you are Linux only you can't play the game, which is completely fair to get salty about.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Linux will cause salt because yeah that means if you are Linux only you can't play the game, which is completely fair to get salty about.

You're 100% right, but Linux support is also notoriously the definition of high investment / low reward for these kinds of things. I haven't looked the numbers up in years, but the figures for sales/play time/ basically every gaming metric for PC vs Linux is goddamned staggering. Like, on games where you have versions on PC, Mac, and Linux even Mac blows it out of the water, and mac gaming is a sad joke. (says the guys who uses a mac laptop for all his work poo poo and is typing this on a gaming PC).

edit: it really, really sucks if you are 100% Linux only and backed with the understanding that it would be linux on release and I can totally understand being salty over it, but it's also a really resource intensive thing that can be cut to get the game out the door and you piss off a relatively tiny number of people. Personally I'd rather they do it that way than delay shipping it or cut core content, but then I'm also going to play it on a PC so . . .

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, I'm fine with it in a "gently caress you, got mine" kind of way, but I do feel bad for the people it affects.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As someone who didn't back but will absolutely be picking up the game, none of that stuff sounds like things I have to have to enjoy the game, so it's not that huge a deal if I grab it in a DLC bundle in two years for $10 or whatever.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

if you are Linux only you can't play the game

Speaking as someone whose Windows disk died a couple weeks ago what the gently caress

But seriously, their Shadowrun games always ran great on Linux and I'm not concerned at all

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 16, 2018

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

An interesting thing I wonder about is if the famous cameos won't be in the story... where will they be at all?

It's probably going to be a pretty cool feature to include them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sky Shadowing posted:

An interesting thing I wonder about is if the famous cameos won't be in the story... where will they be at all?

It's probably going to be a pretty cool feature to include them.

Presumably they'll be in the story, they just won't be in the story at release. So they'll be patched in to some event that wasn't on your previous playthrough, or a new mission chain, etc.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I never expected the big names to show up in the story missions - I'm expecting them to be relegated to semi-hidden/rare mercenary sim proc-gen missions. Be at planet X at date Y with reputation with faction Z and you can take a mission where Natasha Kerensky shows up! (She kicks your rear end and leaves)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I fully expect them to be cameos in the most traditional sense.

Like, you'll be tooling around osme planet and if you mouse over some random npc it'll be kai allard liao or whoever is timeline appropriate.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

From the way the event and random mission generation system seems to be constructed I think we can expect them to show up as low chance pilots in merc missions - or semi scripted special merc missions.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
No official Ironman Mode may be a PR hit because it's always a big buzzword sales bulletpoint. Though at least "No Ironman Mode at launch" is basically zero concern if you want that gameplay experience, unless your entire deal is wanting a banana sticker letting people know you beat Official Ironman Mode™

Everyone better at video games than me who wants Ironman Mode for their legit gameplay honor can handle doing it manually (plenty of SA LPs get by on the Honor system after all). It's mostly the people who demand stuff like dev console disabled in buggy as gently caress Bethseda games, or wring their hands that other people might not deserve their cheevos that baffle me.

I do hope the Mission options for skirmish mode come sooner rather than later. But I get the feeling it's in that awkward spot of being the hardest thing on that list to add in for single player benefit, while still not as much of a priority as harder still linux support and fancier multiplayer. Though at least I can admit to myself those ARE a bigger priority.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 17, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zaodai posted:

Presumably they'll be in the story, they just won't be in the story at release. So they'll be patched in to some event that wasn't on your previous playthrough, or a new mission chain, etc.

my default assumption is added like the runner loyalty missions in Dragonfall: Optional, but worth doing.

but then my default assumption about most everything this game is boils down to "what they did with Dragonfall/HK, except robots"

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

what they did with Dragonfall/HK, except robots

I want the actual game they're making but I also want this

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Psion posted:

but then my default assumption about most everything this game is boils down to "what they did with Dragonfall/HK, except robots"

Lets do this.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sky Shadowing posted:

Mind you I'm saying this as a person who started his professional career as a linux admin. They need to get over it already and just loving install windows. Getting poo poo running in linux is fine and dandy as a showcase of your technical skills, but honestly it's a lovely platform for gaming and always will be.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Everyone I know that's smart enough to run a linux box is also smart enough to have a windows VM inside it so this might not be a huge problem even relative to how niche it already is.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Oh I agree it's probably something they're not exactly unfamiliar with but when one of the Kickstarter promises was "will work on Linux!" and then you get told "maybe not for a little bit after..." I think they're completely entitled to a little bit of salt.

This is the first project I backed on Kickstarter that I've actively followed through the entire process (most times I just give Obsidian my money and say "give me game when ready"), so I've been keeping a curious eye on what features will or will not make it.

As for DLC ideas, I did just have the idea that a small one they could totally do would be a Solaris Stable Manager DLC. You're in charge of a Solaris stable and have to get your MechWarriors up the rankings to become Champion and some such. Not even a big story DLC, just a few arenas and random missions.

Also get the commentator from the MechWarrior games.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
While it's true that 'we promised a thing and won't deliver a thing' is grounds for salt I feel that any money thrown at Kickstarter needs to be done with the peace of mind that you might never see anything ever and be totally cool with that so personally I feel like we're already several steps ahead with how well Harebrained has treated us.

Granted though I wasn't pinning my hopes on a Linux port.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I threw together all the little changes I've made to keep the beta up to date with what we know about the new combat values. I also enabled a few of the unfinished mechs and added some rookie pilots.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/10754

This is my favorite part of the pack:
https://gfycat.com/VeneratedImprobableBongo

The Stalker's arms are still rigged like a humanoid but are giant slabs that should be attached at the center.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That GIF is magical; I just keep watching it.

Do you think HBS has programmed the units to pathfind through the largest number of destructible objects possible on their way their destinations?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

aniviron posted:

That GIF is magical; I just keep watching it.

Do you think HBS has programmed the units to pathfind through the largest number of destructible objects possible on their way their destinations?

Yes, or more likely put structures in the way of the pathways. Here's some more magic thanks to a suggestion by Q_res:

https://gfycat.com/TidyArtisticIndianrhinoceros

https://gfycat.com/SardonicFluidAxolotl

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Didn't they turn off the beta?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
They did, but they also helpfully pointed out that if you backed up your copy it would continue to function after it was shut down.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Q_res posted:

They did, but they also helpfully pointed out that if you backed up your copy it would continue to function after it was shut down.

:( too late. Should i go looking?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sort of expected. I'm fine with it so far though. I do wish they would get the game out before I get swamped with new work closer to the summer.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

So I've figured out the partially complete mechs don't have a file declaring what art assets to use, but those assets are declared on the manifest. I rejiggered some turret files in to mechs and pointed everything in the right directions and now have 5 more mechs with correct and working weapon hardpoints.

ZEU-6S - While the weapons are correct, the forearms are rotated 90 degrees.

STK-3F - Still adorably flappy, even with its wings clipped.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I'm right in thinking that the mech assets have been borrowed from Mechwarrior Online right? So can we assume that if a mech isn't in that game it won't be in this one?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nickiepoo posted:

I'm right in thinking that the mech assets have been borrowed from Mechwarrior Online right? So can we assume that if a mech isn't in that game it won't be in this one?
The mech assets were acquired from MWO. That is a fact. Therefore you are correct - if a mech is not in MWO it will not be in HBS:B.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
If it's not on the Confirmed List in the OP, I wouldn't get my hopes up, but yes without an MWO model it's not very likely to make it into any (hopeful) future DLC either.

Which means beyond the list that's already confirmed, your choices for DLC are basically the Javelin, Assassin, Phoenix Hawk, Crab, Rifleman, Archer and Cyclops.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Currently yes we do not expect any Mechs not in MWO to be in game, but the fan base is frothing at the mouths about the hatchetman, and HBS is aware, so I wouldn't be surprised if that one gets added later.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, I was specifically wondering about all the melee focused mechs which never showed up in MWO for reasons of 'we can't put melee in our game'.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Nickiepoo posted:

for reasons of 'we have no idea how to put melee in our game'.

ftfy

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Didn't it actually have some sort of proto-melee via ramming in it early on? At least I seem remember that if you ran full-throttle right into another mech, you'd both take damage and possibly fall over.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Perestroika posted:

Didn't it actually have some sort of proto-melee via ramming in it early on? At least I seem remember that if you ran full-throttle right into another mech, you'd both take damage and possibly fall over.

Yes, which was then removed because Goons bumper-car'd one of the devs until he pissed himself in rage and removed the system wholesale.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I love how all the MWO stories end with "and then some goons trolled a Dev and he filled his diaper and made the game worse"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

I love how all the MWO stories end with "and then some goons trolled a Dev and he filled his diaper and made the game worse"

It's funny because it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Perestroika posted:

You still take ramming damage, but it's like 1/10 of a point so it's mostly just annoying.