Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I’m a lot more confident with JFD’s writing than directing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

The Ant Man suit was a pretty good design for a military/spy suit like it was for Pym.

The Wasp suit is a little too Mass Effect background character.

You know, it might be deliberate. Ant-Man looks more retro, becuase it is from the 70s/80s, so its based on styles then, while Wasp being new, is based on current styles for armor and such.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Acclaimed director "guy from Bones".

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Countdown til Iris is recast as white.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Acclaimed director "guy from Bones".

He wrote Horrible Bosses and Homecoming.
He directed the new National Lampoons which was bad.
But he’s hardly unknown or that just guy from freaks and geeks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

I still don't get why everyone was so enamored with that character in the first Ant-Man film. Is it just her hair? It is, isn't it.

I too don't care to see women be more than waifu characters

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

I too don't care to see women be more than waifu characters

Hey, I'll admit she's probably the best written female/love interest in the entire MCU, but that's a very low bar. She doesn't really do or say anything particularly interesting throughout the whole film.

Shawn posted:

He wrote Horrible Bosses and Homecoming.
He directed the new National Lampoons which was bad.
But he’s hardly unknown or that just guy from freaks and geeks.

Writing and directing are separate skills.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chris Hemsworth has confirmed that his contract is up as of Avengers 4. While he has not currently signed a new one they are talking about it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, I'll admit she's probably the best written female/love interest in the entire MCU, but that's a very low bar.

Nebula? Valkyrie? Liz? MJ? All the women in Black Panther?

Evangeline's character was so uninteresting to me. I don't even remember her name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

None of those are love interests except Liz who is barely written at all.

And you haven't even seen Black Panther.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Nebula? Valkyrie? Liz? MJ? All the women in Black Panther?

Evangeline's character was so uninteresting to me. I don't even remember her name.

Ok the best written female character in an MCU movie I saw. I like Nebula but there's not a lot going on there.

And yeah she's boooooring.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

None of those are love interests except Liz who is barely written at all.

And you haven't even seen Black Panther.

There are featurettes with great scenes better than any other MCU movie and his body guards are all women. The BP cast has more women than any of the other movies.

The post also said female/love interests, indicating that they're talking about all the MCU women.

Also Liz was adorable and a charming over-achiever. That's better than "into science because of my dad" or what ever

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mj, Valkyrie, and nebula all own but tbh I thought Liz was like the definition of boring waifu character

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Koalas March posted:

i think the only way they avoid this is to cannibalize Wally West and just cast Linda Park. :kheldragar:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps Ron Howard can take over Flash.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Will the DC movie universe survive long enough to make it to jl2

I still stay scrap it and do the Lego dcu instead

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I doubt Flash even makes it out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, you're right. The suit is fine but some gold accents to make it more "waspish" would have really helped it.

It is gold. It's just a very muted gold that looks more like yellow lighting it bouncing off her chest.

I added just the tiniest bit more yellow to it and it looks a lot better. The helmet needs some kind of color to it though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm well on record as saying that Ant-Man's depiction of Hope's storyline was pretty obnoxious and sexist, but part of the reason it stung so much (heh. "stung." heheh. 'cuz she's Wasp, right?) was because there was so much potential there. "I'm into science because my parents are" is...totally fine as an origin. The part that started to suck was "I am overwhelmingly better than my male co-star at literally every single thing we want him to do but I'm still playing second-stringer in this film," which I'm hoping will be rectified in the sequel.

site posted:

Mj, Valkyrie, and nebula all own but tbh I thought Liz was like the definition of boring waifu character
Well, the third act twist involving her family was pretty great. But yeah I don't think anyone's clamoring for a Liz solo feature or anything.

Which is fine, 'cuz that's not Liz's purpose as a support character, which she was totally fine at, which makes it unfair to judge her against actual leading characters. I like Wong from Doc Strange for instance but it'd be pretty silly to say that he's as well-written as...well, the vast majority of characters in this franchise. :v:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 17, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

I'm well on record as saying that Ant-Man's depiction of Hope's storyline was pretty obnoxious and sexist, but part of the reason it stung so much (heh. "stung." heheh. 'cuz she's Wasp, right?) was because there was so much potential there. "I'm into science because my parents are" is...totally fine as an origin. The part that started to suck was "I am overwhelmingly better than my male co-star at literally every single thing we want him to do but I'm still playing second-stringer in this film," which I'm hoping will be rectified in the sequel.

Yeah same, I'll admit they basically built up hope (imo) to be the star and then had to spend like a third of the movie justifying why Scott had to be the lead character instead, it wasn't as great as it could've been. But iirc edger wrights script had even less of hope in it and it then got crowdsourced by like four other people after he dropped out, so I can't imagine what kinda mess her story was before.

I'm hoping now that creators seem to be off the leash a little bit more in this phase that she'll have a more rounded out story this next go around

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah see that's exactly why I find her character so forgettable. "Should be the main character but isn't, and complains about that the entire film" isn't compelling.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno that I'd use the word compelling to describe really any character in the mcu, but yeah okay if you didn't like hope because of that that's fair game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it's really weird to praise a movie that isn't out for having better, more complete renderings of female heroes when it could still totally loving bungle that.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

BrianWilly posted:

Y'all should turn on your monitors. The Ant-Man suits have always been the coolest-looking of all the MCU costumes.

Not everyone appreciates the majesty of Tokusatsu.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Writing and directing are separate skills.

Shawn posted:

I’m a lot more confident with JFD’s writing than directing.

No poo poo! Really?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

I really hate to say it but we knew this was probably happening when they cut her scenes from JL.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I really hate to say it but we knew this was probably happening when they cut her scenes from JL.

Yeah, Rick Famuyiwa was long gone by the time that news came out and that was an obvious sign they didn't want to commit to locking her in in that role with a new director (and then another new director) coming on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think this movie might make some money

https://twitter.com/marcbernardin/status/953396020255191040

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BrianWilly posted:

I'm well on record as saying that Ant-Man's depiction of Hope's storyline was pretty obnoxious and sexist,

Can you please explain in what way the storyline was sexist? She was treated sexist by her father and by Scott (in the name of protecting "the poor, helpless woman"), but that's a hurdle to overcome, not meaning the story itself was inherently sexist. Is there something I've overlooked (haven't seen the movie in over a year)?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I blab about it a bit more here and here, but the general problem is that the hurdle is not overcome. Not by the character, not by the narrative, not until the actual last second of the film, after which everything is over and we'll have to wait three more years to actually see The Wasp in action.

They could have had Scott and Hank be sexist at Hope and yet still construct a story where she suits up and fights as The Wasp; these aren't mutually-exclusive concepts. The scene where Hank says "You're totally right Hope, I should've let you have this suit in the first place" could've happened before the third act while there was still time to showcase this character as a superhero, instead of during a post-credits stinger (heheheh) where it literally does not matter to the film anymore.

Like, I can't stress this enough: Hope says "It's about time!" like it's supposed to be some cool badass cathartic triumphant moment but the friggin' film is over. It wasn't about time! They ran out of time! And so we have to wait three more years for it to actually be time!

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 17, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Basically, it's a problem because they made a movie about how a bunch of men couldn't treat a lady like a grown-up, and how that's bad, instead of actually following through on that logic and making a movie about a grown-up tiny lady.

EDIT: Like, they literally made ten movies starring white guys named Chris before they got around to having a movie starring a woman. That is not a joke or an exaggeration. That is an accurate description of how off the balance is, and when things are that off balance, making a movie about how some more white guys should maybe, in theory, one day treat women as equals is like agreeing to think about one day stopping beating your wife.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Doesn't Scott tell Hank something like "I'm not the person for this job. Have her do it! She's qualified and wants to!" He's not holding her back or not treating her like a grown-up. Hank just doesn't want to risk Hope's life and lose her like he lost his wife, which, while holding her back, is understandable.

But just because she doesn't put on a costume doesn't mean she's a bad character. She's assertive, informed, and involved. She's just not getting a chance to put on a suit.

Rhodes didn't get to be War Machine in Iron Man 1. Does that reflect poorly on how Marvel represents minorities in their movies?

Actually... gently caress that's a whole can of worms isn't it?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Decius posted:

Can you please explain in what way the storyline was sexist? She was treated sexist by her father and by Scott (in the name of protecting "the poor, helpless woman"), but that's a hurdle to overcome, not meaning the story itself was inherently sexist. Is there something I've overlooked (haven't seen the movie in over a year)?

There's probably a pithy name for it but there's this thing where people make stories where a competent female character can't simply be the protagonist but has to be the male protagonist's mentor for reasons, and Ant Man is very much in the mold. Hope Van Dyne is shown to be a fully competent scientist as well as a trained fighter and probably some other poo poo too but because her dad goes "no Hope, it's too dangerous!" instead she gets to play personal trainer to some random guy her dad tapped to give the cool science suit too. It only needs to be "a hurdle to overcome" because the writers made it one in the first place, it isn't a necessary component of some Hero's Journey narrative, and it's a pretty weak overused story element.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Doesn't Scott tell Hank something like "I'm not the person for this job. Have her do it! She's qualified and wants to!" He's not holding her back or not treating her like a grown-up. Hank just doesn't want to risk Hope's life and lose her like he lost his wife, which, while holding her back, is understandable.

But just because she doesn't put on a costume doesn't mean she's a bad character. She's assertive, informed, and involved. She's just not getting a chance to put on a suit.

Rhodes didn't get to be War Machine in Iron Man 1. Does that reflect poorly on how Marvel represents minorities in their movies?

Actually... gently caress that's a whole can of worms isn't it?

You don't get to cite reasons in the story for why Hope doesn't get to wear the suit, because those reasons are made up. They came up with the reasons after they made the decision to make yet another movie that doesn't have a female main character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

There's probably a pithy name for it but there's this thing where people make stories where a competent female character can't simply be the protagonist but has to be the male protagonist's mentor for reasons, and Ant Man is very much in the mold.
I believe it's informally cited as "the Trinity Syndrome," referencing the Matrix character. Kind of the bastardized mutant descendant/second-cousin/distant relative of Kate Beaton's Strong Female Character trope. Megan Fox's character in the first two Transformer films is also a fairly viable example.

edit: I should probably clarify that it's not as if I think the Hope thing is some sort of dire unforgivable offense or anything. It's not like...oh I dunno, Joss Whedon having two of the dweebiest mofos in two different major superhero teams faceplanting on two different sets of female superheroes' breasts like holy poo poo he really did this twice!...or anything like that. It was just, like I said, something really obnoxious about the Ant-Man film and an issue I really want them to fix for the future.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 17, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

You don't get to cite reasons in the story for why Hope doesn't get to wear the suit, because those reasons are made up. They came up with the reasons after they made the decision to make yet another movie that doesn't have a female main character.

Well, not exactly.

Peyton Reed and/or Edgar Wright came up with those reasons, after being hired to make a movie where Ant Man is the main character.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Well, not exactly.

Peyton Reed and/or Edgar Wright came up with those reasons, after being hired to make a movie where Ant Man is the main character.

My point is that the decision to make a movie about Ant-Not-Woman came first, and that anything made up after that can't be used to justify that decision.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

site posted:

I still stay scrap it and do the Lego dcu instead

Lego Batman wasn't a very good movie and it took me a week to watch it (because I got so bored). Don't get why people want this theoretical movie so badly, Lego Batman was just a bunch of (sort of impressive in how deep they were) deep cuts to Batman history that doesn't cohere into that interesting of a film. It doesn't really have the emotional heart or internal coherency that makes the Lego Movie work as well as it does, it tries to be a weird "Batdad learns how to be a Batdad" film but it doesn't feel like it's honest enough to make it land, unlike, again, Lego Movie.

ed: I can't deal with a person with a WW from BvS avatar complaining about a female character from a movie being treated as second-fiddle and sexistly overlooked within the movie within which they originate. I cannot deal with that level of irony

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 17, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

ed: I can't deal with a person with a WW from BvS avatar complaining about a female character from a movie being treated as second-fiddle and sexistly overlooked within the movie within which they originate. I cannot deal with that level of irony

I think it was from an early promotional image for the Wonder Woman movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ah, well, that's fair enough then

• Locked thread