Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Thump! posted:

Oh, goddammit I like to see the bastards BURN!

so have you been promoted at work recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jamesman posted:

Also remember that episode where Sideshow Bob was TOTALLY CHILL and stopped wanting to kill Bart, but then his brother tried to commit fraud and kill Bart, Lisa, and Bob? But then he was stopped and arrested, and Bob was arrested and sent back to jail for no reason? Even after Bart and Lisa vouched for his innocence? And then after that he wanted to kill Bart again? And then later he had a family in Italy? And th- oh gently caress it, it's all so awful.

Yeah but the Cecil episode gets a pass because it's real fuckin funny, which is all that really matters

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Jamesman posted:

Also remember that episode where Sideshow Bob was TOTALLY CHILL and stopped wanting to kill Bart, but then his brother tried to commit fraud and kill Bart, Lisa, and Bob? But then he was stopped and arrested, and Bob was arrested and sent back to jail for no reason? Even after Bart and Lisa vouched for his innocence? And then after that he wanted to kill Bart again? And then later he had a family in Italy? And th- oh gently caress it, it's all so awful.

YES!!! This always bothered me, he'd reformed and they made their peace with one another but NOPE lovely new writers couldn't think of anything new so just trot him out as the bad guy again.

I blame Mike Scully, when he took over as showrunner things started going to poo poo. I remember reading a quote of his that was something like "Lower your standards of quality and things get easier." and I realised this was probably the reason why the Simpsons had gone so far down hill. (although he did write some good episodes)

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Jan 17, 2018

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Wow lucky its a FICTIONAL loving CARTOON FANTASY

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Cecil episode itself is still great, no matter what they did afterwards.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Fascinating, if true

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://twitter.com/rondmcc/status/953389594044764160

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Crane Fist posted:

Yeah but the Cecil episode gets a pass because it's real fuckin funny, which is all that really matters

It's just a large low key Frasier reference and it's fantastic

But then of course modern the Simpsons has to gently caress it up by having another episode with Cecil plus their dad played by John Mahoney and just ohhhh this is bad

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I like that Kalen Allen is a meme.

I like wholesome content.

:)

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_XhRZw6xAE

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

Well, one of the reasons that the later seasons start to suck is because Homer goes from being a well-meaning oaf to a mentally retarded psychopath. But Homer's Enemy is definitely not the episode where that happens. In fact, I'd say that one is a great example of Homer being his clueless but friendly self, oblivious to his incompetence but greatly wanting to be Grimes' friend.

All of the characters go out the window to service the plot of the week. Marge loses her poo poo over Homer buying a gun, but Homer's had a shotgun for years and it was completely unremarked on. Marge was a cop and kept a gun in the house. Lisa, the same Lisa who has always gone to church with her family, and prayed, and been the Christian moral voice, opposed to even pirating cable because of the risk to one's eternal soul, decides her mom is an idiot because she believes in God and angels. And yeah, the Jerkass Homer thing you mentioned right there. The show stopped being driven by characters and their relations to each other and started being driven by "The Simpsons go to [location]! Guest-starring N'SYNC!"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lisa lost her Christian faith and became a Buddhist and they never walked back that character development afaik.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't that a direct request for the guest star appearing?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Plot points got walked back and retreaded all of the time in early Simpsons episodes. There was no real set canon, since the episodes were supposed to be made in such a way that viewing order didn't matter. I think the VanHoutens were the earliest characters to get lasting character development in their divorce. And argument could be made for Sideshow Bob, I guess, but he's a special guest character so doesn't quite count.

The show was originally made with the intention of the viewing order not being an issue. They wanted anybody to be able to come in to any episode of The Simpsons without having to know too much about the characters' backstories. Characters' reactions to things might change on different occurrences of them, but their basic characters were still there.

e: Lisa became a vegetarian before Kirk and Luann got divorced, so I had my order of episodes wrong. My bad.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

poptart_fairy posted:

Wasn't that a direct request for the guest star appearing?

Paul McCartney I think.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
McCartney requested that Lisa remain a vegetarian. The Buddhism episode didn't have that, just a request that it be portrayed accurately.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLeyITbK5AU

The CC is pretty good

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
As the exact target market for this, I love it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCm6CeQaBQ8

Mmmm. ♪Steamed Clams!♪

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I think this is what schizophrenia feels like.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/z4ZphKN.gifv

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

CLAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMS

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

This is some fifth dimensional poo poo

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SpacePig posted:

I think the VanHoutens were the earliest characters to get lasting character development in their divorce.

I think Smithers turning white and being into Burns.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

This is some fifth dimensional poo poo

The slow convergence from noise to "help" at the end describes me really well.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYyTwxxAGcw

e:

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCm6CeQaBQ8

Jeza has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Jan 17, 2018

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

incredible

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Crane Fist posted:

Oh yeah, it was a great episode, and the ending wouldn't have been so sad if they didn't continue forward to Bob being an adversary.

You know what else was unsettling? Homer gets a gun, a big deal is made about being responsible with guns, and how uncomfortable his family felt about him bringing guns into the house. Then at the end of the episode, Homer accepts all this and how he needs Marge to dispose of the gun because he'll just keep lying and keeping the gun and being more irresponsible with it. She goes to throw it out, catches her reflection, likes how she looks holding a gun, and secretly keeps it for herself. What the gently caress?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
In the English language we refer to that as “a joke”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jamesman posted:

Oh yeah, it was a great episode, and the ending wouldn't have been so sad if they didn't continue forward to Bob being an adversary.

You know what else was unsettling? Homer gets a gun, a big deal is made about being responsible with guns, and how uncomfortable his family felt about him bringing guns into the house. Then at the end of the episode, Homer accepts all this and how he needs Marge to dispose of the gun because he'll just keep lying and keeping the gun and being more irresponsible with it. She goes to throw it out, catches her reflection, likes how she looks holding a gun, and secretly keeps it for herself. What the gently caress?

It’s an edgy statement on the hypocrisy and power fantasy inherent in American gun culture

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dragonstoned posted:

YES!!! This always bothered me, he'd reformed and they made their peace with one another but NOPE lovely new writers couldn't think of anything new so just trot him out as the bad guy again.

I blame Mike Scully, when he took over as showrunner things started going to poo poo. I remember reading a quote of his that was something like "Lower your standards of quality and things get easier." and I realised this was probably the reason why the Simpsons had gone so far down hill. (although he did write some good episodes)

Wow, I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

It's like the first 30 seconds of a salvia trip.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6sOWlMZDfc

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013