Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lote posted:

So there’s no way to predict how big of a crash it will be?

Once it dawns on people that the bottom could be much lower then this crash can pick up even more momentum.

That's what I am thinking. At some point people will stop buying. But it will be in phases as the believers buy a bunch. I'd buy 10 of them once it gets to $10. Maybe. But there are a number of people who will buy tons of them at many higher points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Uranium 235 posted:

not a true believer, just a cynical speculative trader

i don't want to talk about absolute values but i'm at 1578% profit and i've withdrawn 200% of my 'investment'

started june 2017

So you've had a 100% return. It don't count until you're holding that filthy filthy fiat.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Demand for the commodity. It really is that simple.
can't make bit bread without a bitcoin!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
fyi now is when you really buy in

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

lazorexplosion posted:

It did actually get through 10k yesterday

Oh then It Is Happening

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Climbing again. Is this idiots who are just getting to the office seeing it is low so they are buying?

Partly true believers getting "50% sale" price coins
Partly arbitrage buying at the lowest current exchange and trying to sell at a slower moving exchange before it corrects
Partly speculators trying to catch the knife and offload after a minor recovery
Partly naive fools who bought at 17-19k and are trying to lower their average

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lote posted:

yeah no poo poo, welcome to investing.

If you could consistently predict when or how far something is going to drop you would have all the moneys. On a small scale you can somewhat consistently judge what's going to happen in the next few minutes based on order activity (this is what quants and day traders etc. are doing) but even the best of them would not be able to tell you "oh this is going to be a 30% drop by the time all is said and done."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

temple posted:

fyi now is when you really buy in

Virtual hot potato.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Would you say it's impossible for certain kinds of people to ever have gotten rich from this?

Like, I can look at myself and think "man I should've bought when I'd heard of it and sold at 20k." however knowing myself I would've only bought a handfull back when it was only $10 and sold when it reached a magical round number of $100. So a wealthy man I would never become due to my cautious nature.

On the other side of the fence, there are now a lot of fanatical bag holders who could've gotten rich if they cashed out, however they are the blind believers who never would've cashed out no matter what high it hit and thus could never become rich either.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

paternity suitor posted:

Oh then It Is Happening

It's at 9.3k right now

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Lote posted:

Once it dawns on people that the bottom could be much lower then this crash can pick up even more momentum.

I mean the only real way is to look hard at the underlying value of the asset. (The underlying asset is bitcoin lmao)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I've set a limit order for 20,000 bitcoins when it hits a penny; I don't want to miss out on the future.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Darth TNT posted:

Would you say it's impossible for certain kinds of people to ever have gotten rich from this?

Like, I can look at myself and think "man I should've bought when I'd heard of it and sold at 20k." however knowing myself I would've only bought a handfull back when it was only $10 and sold when it reached a magical round number of $100. So a wealthy man I would never become due to my cautious nature.

On the other side of the fence, there are now a lot of fanatical bag holders who could've gotten rich if they cashed out, however they are the blind believers who never would've cashed out no matter what high it hit and thus could never become rich either.

There are always people that make money in a bubble but Bitcoin was obviously fundamentally broken from the beginning so it’s best just not to touch something you know will fail than hope you are the lucky one.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
under $9200 now.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Straight White Shark posted:

yeah no poo poo, welcome to investing.

If you could consistently predict when or how far something is going to drop you would have all the moneys. On a small scale you can somewhat consistently judge what's going to happen in the next few minutes based on order activity (this is what quants and day traders etc. are doing) but even the best of them would not be able to tell you "oh this is going to be a 30% drop by the time all is said and done."

You say this like bitcoin mirrors a traditional investment, it doesn't.

For those in the thread who have made a profit in dollars there are necessarily people on the other side but surprisingly they don't want to post their results.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

lmao there's all these holders who are like 'I'm going to delete delta an not look at the price for a while'. Smart money always stops paying attention to big market movements! I bet they also have no stop loss either.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I think we will see the thread title true again before the end of the week.

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
Gandalf's back

https://www.twitch.tv/cryptoworldnews

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Which exchanges allow margin? And how much do they allow?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

So I have a non-quantitative job and dump my retirement savings into a bunch of index funds - could someone please explain what this is showing and how?

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

9100 on GDAX :lol:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
It hit close to going under $9000 on GDAX but then some jerk bounced it up to $9300

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

wilderthanmild posted:

I think we will see the thread title true again before the end of the week.

If it does, I'll ask a mod to edit the title to WTF! x2

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Delthalaz posted:

So I have a non-quantitative job and dump my retirement savings into a bunch of index funds - could someone please explain what this is showing and how?

Mental illness.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

WalletBeef posted:

9100 on GDAX :lol:

Yeah it keeps popping back up but it doesn't last.

Mods can we namechange to IT'S UNDER NINE THOUSAND

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
the slide stopped, boo. im guessing some more fake money made its way into the other fake money.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

"You shall not sell!"

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah it keeps popping back up but it doesn't last.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm looking forward to when the thread title is accurate again but the meaning is different

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trig Discipline posted:

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

I'm looking forward to when the thread title is accurate again but the meaning is different

This. Please don't change it mods.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

bitcoinity stopped refreshing. have to press f5. weird.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

UK Goons, is this what a sperglord sounds like there?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to make a new coin called ScamCoin, priced at $1,000 per ScamCoin, with the promise to buy them back for $10,000 if bitcoin crashes below $1,000.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
so what price is "the moon" anyway?????

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

At what point are you guys gonna start dumping your life savings in? I'm thinking $4k personally

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus christ they say HODL as "Hoddle" gently caress me that's cringey.

Just say "hold" you weird fucks

Edit: The twitch streamer folks I mean

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Konar posted:

Jesus christ they say HODL as "Hoddle" gently caress me that's cringey.

Just say "hold" you weird fucks

Edit: The twitch streamer folks I mean

It's a meme, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

smoobles posted:

At what point are you guys gonna start dumping your life savings in? I'm thinking $4k personally
i took a personal loan secured against my boat and thoroughbred horse to buy at 19k