Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

buddhanc posted:

Texas hired herb hand

Can't be worse than it is now right? Tell me he's not a joke please

Never heard of the dude before this but I’m getting some kind of alarming Tim Beck vibes. Supposed to be a plus recruiter, has been part of teams that had a lot of success, but there have always been issues and it seems like nobody’s particularly sad to see him go.

Looking at his numbers they seem sort of paradoxical, like somehow they were able to establish the run and look good against the likes of Bama while also allowing a lot of tackles for loss and sacks. Like maybe there was some high risk/high reward scheming going on or maybe his players just had a high ceiling and inconsistent play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

maybe his players just had a high ceiling and inconsistent play.

It's Auburn, so: Yes.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Lane is a crazy fucker. Hired 24 year old Charlie Weis Jr as his OC.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

wandler20 posted:

Lane is a crazy fucker. Hired 24 year old Charlie Weis Jr as his OC.

Decided erotic advantage

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I remember when Weis came to Florida under the condition we give him a GA job lol

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn rehires Hand's predecessor JB Grimes, late of UConn. Not exciting but it's probably fine.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Auburn is bringing back JB Grimes as the OL coach. I like him as a coach, but he seemed to struggle a little with recruiting.

Edit: beaten

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
When Hand was with Gus at Tulsa he was supposedly pretty involved in helping Gus develop what his offense eventually became. I guess whether or not that's a positive is up to you

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

vyst posted:

I remember when Weis came to Florida under the condition we give him a GA job lol

Charlie Weis is a weird case where he is really good in the NFL but terrible in college.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Lol @ Charlie Weis Jr he def looks like a kid that's going to get walked all over by the players. Also imagine being a position coach having to take orders from that twerp.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

an adult beverage posted:

Lol @ Charlie Weis Jr he def looks like a kid that's going to get walked all over by the players. Also imagine being a position coach having to take orders from that twerp.

I dunno literal leprechaun Nick Saban has done alright

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

Nick Saban is literally a midget version of Red Foreman soooo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Although it is true that when he got to the NFL and suddenly didn't have way more power that his players they all laughed at him and told him to gently caress off

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

swickles posted:

Charlie Weis is a weird case where he is really good in the NFL but terrible in college.

I think he's actually bad in the NFL also but had Tom Brady.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MourningView posted:

Although it is true that when he got to the NFL and suddenly didn't have way more power that his players they all laughed at him and told him to gently caress off

Always repost this bit:

quote:

In “organized team activities” (OTAs) that spring, Saban had the entire team line up for sprints. He blew his whistle, and everyone took off ... except for Keith Traylor, a nose tackle who weighed at least 350 pounds. According to some of his teammates, Traylor—then a 14-year NFL veteran and winner of three Super Bowls—had a clause in his contract that relieved him of conditioning duties. So, instead of sprinting with the rest of the team, Traylor set off on a leisurely jog. When he realized that Saban was eyeing him, Traylor began to taunt him, yelling, “Hey, Nick! Hey, Nick!” Traylor knew, as the rest of his teammates did, that Saban hated being called “Nick” by his players. He wanted them to address him as “Coach” or “Coach Saban,” just as his college players always had.

Traylor kept yelling, “Hey, Nick!” Finally, Saban snapped and told him to shut the hell up and run.

Traylor responded: “Who the gently caress do you think you’re talking to?” and ambled over to the sideline and stood and watched as his teammates ran their sprints.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Weis' 2005 and 2006 Notre Dame teams were pretty drat good, so there must have been some magic captured somewhere unless we're going to credit his success in those first two years to Tyrone Willingham. Seems possible there may have been a time that Weis was good with X's and O's but a bad recruiter, rather than the disaster on all fronts he became.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

It's so good

General Dog posted:

Weis' 2005 and 2006 Notre Dame teams were pretty drat good, so there must have been some magic captured somewhere unless we're going to credit his success in those first two years to Tyrone Willingham. Seems possible there may have been a time that Weis was good with X's and O's but a bad recruiter, rather than the disaster on all fronts he became.

They did inherit what wound up being a pretty talented team with Quinn and some really good receivers.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

It's so good

They did inherit what wound up being a pretty talented team with Quinn and some really good receivers.

He was at least able to get more out of the talent than Willingham, which is a pretty low bar I guess. Though Willingham's first team that he inherited from Davie was pretty good too. The "first year wonder" coaches are always an interesting phenomenon. For a year or so they're able to retain the strengths of their predecessor while adding their own.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

MourningView posted:

I mean more his age and young boyish appearance than his height.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I think he was a solid pro style offensive coordinator back when that mattered, and good at convincing players to sign with him. He sucked at evaluating and developing talent. A LOT of his signees were peak early guys who were just more advanced than their competition in HS.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I see we have resolved our coaching carousel problems at OC by hiring a guy that failed miserably as both a HC and OC previously. Fire Nick saban

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scionix posted:

I see we have resolved our coaching carousel problems at OC by hiring a guy that failed miserably as both a HC and OC previously. Fire Nick saban

Did y'all hire Locksley? I haven't seen anything yet.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LeeMajors posted:

Did y'all hire Locksley? I haven't seen anything yet.

They did

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/954109908324003841

Alright.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Completely ignoring all subtext it's really funny to me that Maryland's last few offensive coordinators (barring I think Gary Crowton) are now at Alabama, FSU, and the head coach at Penn St.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

I do not like this

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Alabama poached the Penn State receivers coach, for some reason.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The scuttlebutt I heard was that Locksley was given the Bama OC spot in order to keep him and his recruits away from FSU. I have no clue if there's any merit to that but if he wasn't a clear go-to guy for the job then it's not crazy to get some more coaching support in there.

I'm sad it wasn't McElwain.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's been involved with the offense for awhile too and I believe played a fairly big role in incorporating the read option and RPO elements into their offense, which weren't things any of their recent OCs did prior to Bama.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Alabama's Greatest Strategy. Their OC position is a revolving door meant to make sure as many Head Coaches as possible in the NCAA are former Saban Assistants and therefore unable to beat Alabama.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/954364559598542849

Good guy, just was a bad head coach.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

MourningView posted:

He's been involved with the offense for awhile too and I believe played a fairly big role in incorporating the read option and RPO elements into their offense, which weren't things any of their recent OCs did prior to Bama.

Would make sense, he tried to do a lot of that at New Mexico.

You know, when he wasn’t harrassing women and covering up players doing sketchy poo poo.

And being a bad HC.

I don’t like Mike Locksley.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FartingBedpost posted:

Would make sense, he tried to do a lot of that at New Mexico.

You know, when he wasn’t harrassing women and covering up players doing sketchy poo poo.

And being a bad HC.

I don’t like Mike Locksley.

Yeah agreed, he's trash

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
He's an enormous piece of poo poo. Best hope for Bama fans is he flames out quick or is so good someone takes another crack at him for HC. He's also just flat out dirty which, haha Bama and all, he's the type of dirty that could catch up to Bama.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Crotch Bat posted:

He's an enormous piece of poo poo. Best hope for Bama fans is he flames out quick or is so good someone takes another crack at him for HC. He's also just flat out dirty which, haha Bama and all, he's the type of dirty that could catch up to Bama.

They can bring in Hugh Freeze to keep an eye on him

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Crotch Bat posted:

2019 Atlanta Falcons OC Mike Locksley.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Komet posted:

Alabama poached the Penn State receivers coach, for some reason.

Because he's an excellent coach and recruiter

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa hired their 10th assistant

https://twitter.com/marcmorehouse/status/955841469755076608

Samford was good last year so seems fine. Maybe a weird recruiting fit since he's been in the south but we'll see. Love how young our staff is now, that's 6 guys under 40 and one other who just turned 40 this year.

Not clear where he'll coach. LeVar Woods moving to full time ST coordinator means TE coach is open but given their respective histories I think moving Brian to TE/OC and the new guy to RB might make more sense

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Scott Fountain (to Miss. State) and Shane Beamer (to Oklahoma) have both left Georgia, so the Dawgs will need to restock the special teams oversight roles. (AFAIK Kevin Butler's still around in a wink wink grad assistant position.) After years of neglect, Georgia's special teams were fantastic last season. Go back and watch the Rose Bowl – not just because the game's good – and see how well-coached UGA was at that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

He just wants to settle down in Houston. Those fake punts, the punt block against whisky and a lot other cool special teams play at Purdue this year all came from Tony.

• Locked thread