Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yikes on all accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fixed

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FizFashizzle posted:

he also sells windows

Well that's good, he will have something to jump out of

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well that's good, he will have something to jump out of

While this is a very funny post, it still makes me sad that people kill themselves over this stuff. Please nobody kill yourself over buttcoins.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Forget bitcoin, today's the day! FAKE NEWS AWARDS let's goooo

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

very stable genius posted:

While this is a very funny post, it still makes me sad that people kill themselves over this stuff. Please nobody kill yourself over buttcoins.

a lot of dumb people have lost a substantial amount of money

Some Bitcoin Investors Are Mortgaging Their Homes to Buy More Digital Currency

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

https://twitter.com/erikfinman/status/953416474810634240

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

It started the week at 14k and it’s now at 9.5k. It’s shed ~30% of its value since Monday.

And it’s not done dropping.

2 steps back and 7 steps forward, friend.

it's amazing to see the past few weeks of crypto currencies and how many people got in too deep way too late.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I cannot feel bad for people who lose everything on bitcoin because they are people who tried to use a black market money laundering service as a way to get rich quick

I feel bad for their partners and families

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

It is currently 19 degrees in Houston and the whole drat city has shut down

I'm looking forward to it getting up to 19 today :woop:

It's supposed to be fine here after today for a while so I'm just glad no pipes burst and I didn't have to be outside too long the last few days or anything.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

welp, time to mortgage the house and buy bitcoin, what could possibly go wrong

actually i need to go troll a certain facebook wall because some neckbeard was telling me bitcoin would never crash and he's rich now because of it and that's why he still lives in a lovely small town in missouri trying to sell custom PC builds to farmers.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DChlO5fNMGw

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wish I had the kind of money that I can blow on stupid bullshit.

Like 10 Gs would be a life-changing amount of money for me right now and these idiots are blowing that and more on strings of text that they pretend is money.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I can get the people who got in on the ground floor who have like 500 buttcoins they've held for like a half decade getting this hyped.

Why would you buy in when a string of letters & numbers only good for drugs is worth $10k though

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It doesn't work with the Mac. I had that same problem and had to purchase a new Win10 (but I didn't do the upgrade from before due to stubborn idiocy)

If you purchased Windows 10, you should be able to get the iso legally and use that. If you upgarded from Win7, I think Win7 installation should allow you to upgrade back to Win10 since it's based on your CD key.

Thanks for the advice, I figured I'd fill you all in on what went down. I've never seen a system issue like this before and I kinda want to know what went wrong/thought others might be interested.

System Background
CPU: i5 4690k (no overclock)
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: AMD RX480
Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD (PRGM_STRG F:), Samsung 830 250 GB SSD (BOOT C:), Samsung 1 TB HDD (SLOW_STRG G:), Seagate Backup Drive 2 TB (I:)

The problem started when I loaded XCOM 2 up. Game loaded normally but then suddenly the monitor went blank and all my system fans kicked up to 100%. I've seen this happen before and I believe it's an overheating issue on the GPU (the RX480 is a very temperamental card). To remedy I immediately shut off power to the system and gave it a minute to cool off.

Unfortunately when I booted the system back up I was greeted with this screen:

Well poo poo. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE sounds not great. Probably, something got messed up so the Recovery Console should be able to fix it...right?

Nope. I tried:

-Windows auto-repair
-System restore
-Recovery console's system repair

and none of them worked. I then figured that this might require some heavier lifting, so I did some reading. I figured whatever was wrong was with the master boot record/boot configuration data. After very carefully reading I found a series of commands that would delete and recreate these...but the cmd window kept insisting that C:\boot\bcr didn't exist. What the hell?

:stare: the gently caress?

This is why I told you the volume names earlier. For you see, somehow Windows now thought that PRGM_STRG was C: and BOOT was now F:. I have never seen anything like this before. I ran chkdsk on both drives (of course I didn't expect to find anything since they're SSDs) and it confirmed everything was running fine. I still couldn't figure out why this had happened but I figured if I instead targeted F:\boot\bcr I should be good.

Oops.

Good job! I made it worse! And I had no recovery media. At this point I went and borrowed my girlfriend's Mac laptop to try and make a recovery USB. But this wouldn't work either. So I seemed right hosed at this point. I had gone from a looping boot into the recovery console to a looping failure to boot at all. On a complete shot in the dark, I tried using my Windows 7 install DVD's recovery console and asked it to repair the install. I figured this wouldn't work as I was now on Windows 10 and this was Windows 7, but if this didn't work I was going to have to reformat and reinstall anyway.

Well what do you know, it worked!

I decided to say "screw it" and did a reset install of Windows 10 and that's where I'm at now. I have no idea how the original INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE came about, nor do I know of any way I could've fixed it without reinstalling Windows as I tried everything I could think of.

If anyone can figure out a solution to this mystery, I'd appreciate it as I'm still scratching my head over it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
There's an entire subforum dedicated to fixing that problem.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Trucking company decided to deliver our cabinets in the snow today. They couldn't get the truck up our driveway because it was too slick.

So I just spent half an hour carrying an entire set of cabinets up the slippery driveway with the truck driver and his son.

It's good to do manual labor in the snow.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

There's an entire subforum dedicated to fixing that problem.

Yeah, I x-posted it over there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846635

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hot Diggity! posted:

You can always write it down then throw it out if you're worried about feeling self conscious until you're used to the routine. Alternatively a CBT therapist could help with the larger issues. I've been seeing one for over six months weekly and it's helped enormously with some larger issues of mine.

I know CBT means cognitive behavioral therapy in this context, but I'm going to pretend it stands for something else.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Skwirl posted:

I know CBT means cognitive behavioral therapy in this context, but I'm going to pretend it stands for something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ce-zC_n8E

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Anyone have any good starting guides on making your own beef jerky?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/KagroX/status/953664503719317505

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Did Donald get NFL scouts to do his height and weight?

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
The real reason Trump gets in a dick waving contest with Kim Jong-un all the time is jealously towards having a better Dear Leader shtick

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
loving lol if if Korean unification happens out of spite for Trump.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/953612220365238273

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/953459970338533376

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I sprained my hand last night pretty bad playing goalie at soccer. Would it be worth it to invest in a wrap? It's fine when I'm resting, but gripping any sort of things causes pain in the hand part that connects the index and pinky.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Skwirl posted:

eh, i remember in 2000 there was a unified korea marching in the opening ceremonies

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you can function, nah. If you can't function normally, get a brace at the pharmacy

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm looking forward to historians saying Trump was the catalyst for uniting the world together and actively working towards peace.

Of course this will be etched on cave walls as we'll be reduced to stone-age tech after the nukes kill off most of humanity.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am interested if this is North Korea trying to relax tensions and sanctions or a realization they can benefit from positioning themselves differently on the world stage

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

swickles posted:

Anyone have any good starting guides on making your own beef jerky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIuiDhcStsI

Here's Aaron Franklin's or I'd just look for Alton Brown's (if he has one).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm sure the brutal and paranoid dictatorship in North Korea is totally ready to merge with the elected democracy of South Korea, giving up their power and control forever in the name of peace and brotherhood. Yes.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Feels more like South Korea trying to appease North Korea than an actual compromise

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah, Good Eats Season 9 Episode 3 was about jerky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnlayyWjH7o
(apologies for the quality as they were doing the "avoid copyright by altering the video" dance)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

North Korea recognizes that competing in the olympic games brings a certain kind of prestige. South Korea would like to ease tensions and avoid nuclear war. This short-term cooperation achieves both objectives at little cost, so it's a great idea for both countries. It is not going to lead to reunification. The only way reunification is possible is for the entire NK power structure to agree to disassemble itself and go quietly. Or insist that a united Korea will be united under a Kim Jong Un permanent lifetime dictatorship.

I do not think either option is likely.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I'm sure the brutal and paranoid dictatorship in North Korea is totally ready to merge with the elected democracy of South Korea, giving up their power and control forever in the name of peace and brotherhood. Yes.

Did you just reply sarcastically to sarcasm under the assumption it was sincere

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did you just reply sarcastically to sarcasm under the assumption it was sincere

Not sincere, but maybe thinking there was some remote possibility? I dunno man, I'm still half asleep, leave me alone

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean, re-establishing diplomatic ties between the Koreas is a good thing and most importantly it's a reversal of Uns leadership style since taking power so put me in the "yay" camp on all this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

North Korea recognizes that competing in the olympic games brings a certain kind of prestige. South Korea would like to ease tensions and avoid nuclear war. This short-term cooperation achieves both objectives at little cost, so it's a great idea for both countries. It is not going to lead to reunification. The only way reunification is possible is for the entire NK power structure to agree to disassemble itself and go quietly. Or insist that a united Korea will be united under a Kim Jong Un permanent lifetime dictatorship.

I do not think either option is likely.

I think S. Korea sees the writing on the wall that Trump is going to attack the north somehow, with all the recent talk about a 'bloody nose' strike. So they're opening avenues and preparing for ways to not have things spiral out of control, since they're likely to bear the brunt of any retaliation.