Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
So what's going on here? Some sort of announcement rumor today that deals with "kids"? Where did it come from? I'm not gonna read the past 4 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mahoning posted:

"Nintendo, riding the wave of the most successful console launch in the history of video games, should do something other than continue to sell the gently caress out of the Nintendo Switch."

This is the dumb opinion many people have. I am glad you people that think this don't run businesses.

I mean, I don't think most of us are saying "Nintendo needs to do <x drastic thing> right now" or something like that. Or at least, that's not how I'm reading this discussion. It's just speculation about what kinds of things they might do in the future.

Anyway I'm going to stop posting about this topic forever because I understand why everyone's annoyed with it and I'm just making it worse.

So, what are the chances Nintendo makes a Mario Odyssey 2 in a few years? Because I want more Mario Odyssey.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I will admit, earlier I was open to the idea to a portable-only Switch. "Maybe in a few years, probably just for the Japanese market" I thought to myself. But the more we've talked about it, the more certain I've become that it will never happen. Not ever. There will never be a nonswitchable Switch. It would gain Nintendo nothing. It will never happen, not in a million years.

They still might sell the same hardware sans dock if they feel like they can expand the base even more. As long as it's literally the same hardware and the dock is still available separately, it doesn't seem to crazy to me that they'd want to keep the momentum going as long as they can by offering it at a lower price point.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cobalt Viper posted:

So what's going on here? Some sort of announcement rumor today that deals with "kids"? Where did it come from? I'm not gonna read the past 4 pages.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/17-01-2018-1328637.html

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE loving MOON posted:

They still might sell the same hardware sans dock if they feel like they can expand the base even more. As long as it's literally the same hardware and the dock is still available separately, it doesn't seem to crazy to me that they'd want to keep the momentum going as long as they can by offering it at a lower price point.

Oh yeah I can definitely see that happening.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Why is everyone focused on the switch itself? Maybe it'll be something out of left field like a dedicated virtual console machine. They could launch it for like $99 and give a slight permanent discount on vc software bought through it

Nevermind, I'm a dumb, I didn't pay any attention to the fact that the logo was right there. I didn't see the announcement, just a crapload of speculation

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

The Bloop posted:

I'll make a SWITCH.... that DOESN'T switch

It's a Switch, but the Joycons are designed so that you can't dock it with the Joycons attached. You can take off the Joycons, but if you ever remove them, you can never put them back on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's Neko Atsume and all the Neko Atsume cats will be amiibos and I'll buy them all

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE loving MOON posted:

Yeah, I could see that potentially happening.

Sentient Data posted:

Why is everyone focused on the switch itself? Maybe it'll be something out of left field like a dedicated virtual console machine. They could launch it for like $99 and give a slight permanent discount on vc software bought through it

If that was ever going to be A Thing (and it really should be for a couple of hardware reasons), then the Classic Mini's wouldn't exist.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm pumped for finding ways I can rope my kids into playing more Switch with me.

God, it's going to be some kind of mario skylanders thing isn't it?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's going to be a Nintendo Doodle app where you use the joycons to draw with crayons in 3D space.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I just don’t want MH to implode and be gone forever because Capcom mishandled it. I still wait for you, Lost Planet and Onimusha and Dino Crisis :negative:

In the good universe, Monster Hunter Switch joins Splatoon as the only home console games to sell 2 million in Japan in the past 8 years. In our universe, Monster Hunter World is a flavor of the month moderate success in the west that people play on Playstation before the next call of duty or destiny dlc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Huxley posted:

I'm pumped for finding ways I can rope my kids into playing more Switch with me.

God, it's going to be some kind of mario skylanders thing isn't it?

More likely the new Kirby and Yoshi titles.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

abraxas posted:

Give me new and cool, not "same game but number 500" :v:

If you list out the games you liked/played in 2017, what's the chance that they are also "same game but number 500" too? I'm gonna say 75%

Also Nintendo gave us Arms for something new last year, and while it sold a bunch I don't think many people in this thread think strongly of it

edit: for the record I like Arms

Ventana fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 17, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm betting this announcement will probably be Animal Crossing or some sort of Pokemon thing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
ARMS is cool and expertly produced and has that cool Nintendo polish but there's just not enough gameplay to be worth $60. If it were $40 I'd definitely recommend it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Announcing Animal Crossing Switch would be very exciting so I hope that happens soon, even if not in today's thing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I wonder if this'll be Nintendo's latest attempt at "kid friendly" voice chat.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

hcreight posted:

I wonder if this'll be Nintendo's latest attempt at "kid friendly" voice chat.

Wii Speak was such a Nintendo thing, I'm not prepared for them to top it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It would be interesting to see a game that comes with a special JoyCon that slides onto the Switch. Or a peripheral that the JoyCons slide into, like a gun or lightsaber or something else. A fishing reel? It seems like this was always one of the more interesting promises of the Switch hardware that has so far not been utilized.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nintendo Bread.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's no way to have integrated voice chat on the Switch, right? Given there's no headphone/headset jack on the joycons, joycon grip, or pro controller, I mean. I guess they could require bluetooth/wireless headsets with USB dongles? I dunno.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Nintendo's plunge into E3 2008 shovelware has began.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well the last console game to outsell Splatoon 2 in Japan was Wii Party, so

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It will be a painting attachment. They will call it Nintendo Swatch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A couple of pages ago, but Re: Monster Hunter

I, for one, am looking forward to the latest Monster Hunter game being on regular home consoles, because it's been years since I've been like "Yo, let's hunt some monsters," and my friends go "Okay, we'll do that when I get home in a few hours" and "PS4 or PC?" It'll be a grand ol' time having splintered player bases and also having to drag entire consoles and TVs to do MonHun sessions at someone's place.

GOOD DECISIONS ALL AROUND.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mahoning posted:

It would be interesting to see a game that comes with a special JoyCon that slides onto the Switch. Or a peripheral that the JoyCons slide into, like a gun or lightsaber or something else. A fishing reel? It seems like this was always one of the more interesting promises of the Switch hardware that has so far not been utilized.

Yeah there definitely needs to be a gun. But like, a real one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maybe it will be complete emulation of DS hardware on the Switch, opening up that full library.

The dual screen will be a bit hard to do, but otherwise these are both ARM platforms so the software should be easy to port.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Maybe it will be complete emulation of DS hardware on the Switch, opening up that full library.

The dual screen will be a bit hard to do, but otherwise these are both ARM platforms so the software should be easy to port.

Ah yes, so geared towards the kids.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The dual screen will be a bit hard to do
TV mode would render it unusable and that's a lovely way to do things unless you want to impose the PSTV's wretched whitelist solution.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

:what:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This thread gets stupider by the minute.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

thexerox123 posted:

Ah yes, so geared towards the kids.

Isn't it though? I would assume DS sales are skewed younger.

Just having a hard time coming up with something that's "internet breaking" AND geared towards "kids and kids at heart."

Maybe it's out of left field and it's a theme park announcement.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

Oh poo poo I think you might have nailed it. It doesn't have anything do to with hardware or software at all. Either a theme park or that Mario movie that was mentioned.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
How could it be a theme park if it's a new interactive experience for Nintendo Switch? Or am I confused about the topic of discussion?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Just having a hard time coming up with something that's "internet breaking" AND geared towards "kids and kids at heart."

miiverse

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

grand theft grotto posted:

How could it be a theme park if it's a new interactive experience for Nintendo Switch? Or am I confused about the topic of discussion?

*facepalm* Oh right, forgot about that part. Could be, uhm, virtual tours of Disneyland on Switches maybe?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It’s actually the announcement of an exclusive Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure video game which is good for kids

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interactive Mario movie distributed only on switch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The DS is 14 years old.

bull3964 posted:

lelandjs posted:

Oh poo poo I think you might have nailed it. It doesn't have anything do to with hardware or software at all. Either a theme park or that Mario movie that was mentioned.
So how does this tie in to it being "a new interactive experience for Nintendo Switch"?

• Locked thread