Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I wish the elemental genies weren't so powerful because I hate looking at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Considering the last two generations, I expect Gamefreak to cut literally everything else and just leave Gen 1 if they ever go that insane route.

They're worse than the nostalgia fans in how much they pander to them.

I'm still mad we only got Kanto Alolan forms.

I really hope there are more alternate forms of Pokémon going forward.

Z moves I can take or leave, but alt forms were a great idea.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
They should retcon Bouffalant into Unovan Tauros

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they should retcon to be Buffafro

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

they shouldn't retcon any Pokemon into being the same as another Pokemon because that's less interesting as a whole

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

TFRazorsaw posted:

they shouldn't retcon any Pokemon into being the same as another Pokemon because that's less interesting as a whole

Nidoran?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

TFRazorsaw posted:

lovely interchangeable almost-clones of other Pokémon is even less interesting

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

less laughter posted:

lovely interchangeable almost-clones of other Pokémon is even less interesting

This does not describe Bouffalant, the example you gave.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Sure it does, it's just the fiftieth mono Normal-type with nothing to set it apart from the dozens of others. Other than its wonderful design it is completely forgettable PU trash.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A buffalo is as much the same as a cow as a persian cat is the same as another breed.

I guess we should just say Skitty is Hoenn Meowth. Lycanroc? Well that's just rock Arcanine now. Same logic there.

Using a Pokemon's stats and competitive viability as justification for this is also... I don't even know what to say to that. Let's make the Pokemon world smaller and less diverse because broad similarities and stats take priority over design and character.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Including dozens and dozens of virtually interchangeable mono Normal-types (and for Water-types the glut is even worse, and Psychic and Grass are getting there as well) with barely any niches of their own is the opposite of making the world bigger and more diverse, it's making it blander and much less inventive and creative.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

taurous should be the kanto Buffafro. also all kitties are special and cute so having like 7 different ones exempts them

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Countblanc posted:

Amoongus isn't gen 7

Stakataka is B+, that's pretty decent. but yeah Gen 7's mons didn't really make the cut in general besides tapus and UBs.

So what you're saying is that none of the pokemon had a chance in comparison to the obscenely powerful legendaries?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

taurous should be the kanto Buffafro. also all kitties are special and cute so having like 7 different ones exempts them

Yeah you can never have too many kitties.

(+ Entei and Raikou)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Is Espeon really a cat? I thought the Eevee line were more doglike

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
They're all foxes (so dogs yeah) but Espeon is the most cat-like of them all

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dizz posted:

So what you're saying is that none of the pokemon had a chance in comparison to the obscenely powerful legendaries?

They would have been great if they all weren't so goddamn slow.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Dizz posted:

Is Espeon really a cat? I thought the Eevee line were more doglike

It’s a nekomata, so... cat-monster?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

and also had great movepools, great stats, and great type pairings.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dizz posted:

and also had great movepools, great stats, and great type pairings.

A lot of them have that and are really let down by being super goddamn slow.

Like my friends Vikavolt, Kommo-o, Araquanid, and Primarina.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Tardigrade posted:

It’s a nekomata, so... cat-monster?

That reminds me of the newest Electric kitty :allears:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Big discovery:

https://twitter.com/SmogonU/status/953635522680733696

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Smogon lowered the Critical Hit Rate wishing to be praised!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TaurusOxford posted:

Relative weakness in speed wouldn't matter so much if it didn't mean taking higher amounts of damage from powerful legendaries.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

Relative weakness in speed wouldn't matter so much if speed didn’t matter so much

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

less laughter posted:

Including dozens and dozens of virtually interchangeable mono Normal-types (and for Water-types the glut is even worse, and Psychic and Grass are getting there as well) with barely any niches of their own is the opposite of making the world bigger and more diverse, it's making it blander and much less inventive and creative.

Cinccino is my favorite Pokemon.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

It's too bad moves like Assurance aren't a bit better.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Strange Quark posted:

Cinccino is my favorite Pokemon.

Mega Minccino is cool, but even that is maybe a bit too close for comfort to Ambipom in terms of typing, stats, viability, and abilities. Just look at this:

At least their movepools set them apart somewhat, because otherwise they're almost twins.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Golden Gael posted:

It's too bad moves like Assurance aren't a bit better.

It's too bad there are entire swaths of pokemon that are only good in formats that rarely, if ever, come up during the game, and not in a way that you're able to control.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

less laughter posted:

Mega Minccino is cool, but even that is maybe a bit too close for comfort to Ambipom in terms of typing, stats, viability, and abilities. Just look at this:

At least their movepools set them apart somewhat, because otherwise they're almost twins

the difference is cincinno is cute and good while ambipom is a malformed mutant who retroactively ruins aipom

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Smogon should have a friendship cup where all pokemon have maxed Pokemon Amie affection

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Eox posted:

Smogon should have a friendship cup where all pokemon have maxed Pokemon Amie affection

Friendship and Affection are different stats

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Is there a smogon game moded where pokemon above a certain stat threshold aren't allowed?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

less laughter posted:

Friendship and Affection are different stats

Yeah but it sounds better than bullshit rng cup

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dizz posted:

Is there a smogon game moded where pokemon above a certain stat threshold aren't allowed?

Stats don't always say much, Regigigas and Slaking have 670 BST and are still in the lowest tier possible

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Raserys posted:

the difference is cincinno is cute and good while ambipom is a malformed mutant who retroactively ruins aipom

Ambipom has inflated surgical gloves on its tails, thus making it Cool and Good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dizz posted:

There's a Smogon meta for basically anything you could think of, though only a couple of the weird ones have notable playerbases, which is why there's a rotating monthly metagame.

As for your specific question, I know there's Mediocremons, where you can only use mons with stats under 100, but theres probably another less restrictive one too

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Raserys posted:

Aipom wasn't really that great looking to begin with so :shrug:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Golden Gael posted:

I'm planning a VGC team with....Wigglytuff.

This trainer is a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

less laughter posted:

Stats don't always say much, Regigigas and Slaking have 670 BST and are still in the lowest tier possible

Oh I didn't really mean tiers, Just wanted to look into the meta of something like that specifically.