Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This has been a terrible day for crypto, but I've figured it out, guys, I know what's wrong: BANKS are scared of Bitcoin and are actively ATTACKING it, because Bitcoin is about to DESTROY THEM.

Did you expect to poke the dragon of FIAT and not have it breathe fire back at ya? My sweet summer child! But, with the holy armor of BLOCKCHAIN, the sacred texts of SATOSHI and our fearless steed SHA-256 CRYPTOGRAPHIC HASH FUNCTION, the KNIGHTS OF BITCOIN *WILL* prevail! To. The. MOON!

Please kill me

I am willing to pay someone to murder me, as I don’t have the balls to do it myself.

I... I can only pay in bitcoin... 😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

so what price is "the moon" anyway?????

1.00000000 moon

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
That year long price chart is like an exact copy of the classic bubble chart lol

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

smoobles posted:

At what point are you guys gonna start dumping your life savings in? I'm thinking $4k personally

Sure, I'll invest all my life savings for $0.000025 UsdT.

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
"This is basically the Steam sale of cryptos" ~ Crypto Gandalf

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Good Citizen posted:

That year long price chart is like an exact copy of the classic bubble chart lol

It was the last two times too and look at the XRP price charts it did the same thing twice in a year. Interestingly ether is the only one to buck the trend out of a hundred alt coins and it shows a "head and shoulders" pattern.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Why any individual would buy into this market at this moment is beyond me. Even if you sincerely believe that the value is great in the long-term and that there is huge gains to be made, you'd be much better off just letting it bottom out.

Unless you think it's hit bottom one hour into a volatile period after a massive sell-off.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dmitri-9 posted:

It was the last two times too and look at the XRP price charts it did the same thing twice in a year. Interestingly ether is the only one to buck the trend out of a hundred alt coins and it shows a "head and shoulders" pattern.

But isn't Ether also the only one that may actually have a real world use?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Konar posted:

Jesus christ they say HODL as "Hoddle" gently caress me that's cringey.

Just say "hold" you weird fucks

Edit: The twitch streamer folks I mean

It's apropos, as 'HODLers' sounds very similar to 'toddlers'.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So wait. The reason video cards are so pricey right now (seem to be about 50-75% higher than they used to be) is because of this poo poo? Seriously?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Waltzing Along posted:

So wait. The reason video cards are so pricey right now (seem to be about 50-75% higher than they used to be) is because of this poo poo? Seriously?

This isn't a knock, but I really do love that you, the OP of this 186 page thread, is flabbergasted by some of these things 186 pages into this thread.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Bitcoinity died

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

Also responsible for an unfathomable waste of electricity

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep. Bitcoins can't be mined effectively by GPUs anymore but there's always some new lovely altcoin that can.

Last time I tried to by a video card was early 2014 at the first height of the mining craze. When you could find like, an R290 or R280X they were at least $100-150 over MSRP.

I remember I found one listed at a major retailer at only like $50 above. Went down to try and buy one and they were all gone because the dude in line in front of me walked out with 8 of them :shepface:

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 17, 2018

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

1.00000000 moon

The moon is rather difficult to trade but has undeniable value. I'm going to invent a digital currency pegged to the moon. I'll sell you 200,000 of them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well that explains why a 1060 is $300 rather than the $175 or so it should be.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Darth TNT posted:

I'm not smart or educated enough in law or coding to understand smart contracts but there are still huge economic problems with using ether as paypal and a way to raise money for dodgy securities at the same time.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

I was upgrading my video card in the middle of last year, I had to hunt around and find a card that was lovely at mining the popular alt-coin of the time. Still played games good, so it was possible to not get hosed by crypto then.

Just checked the same exact card (8 months later), it's like $50-$100 more now. I paid $150 at the time.

Crypto is so loving dumb.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Looks like it's going to break 10,000 again.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Bip Roberts posted:

The moon is rather difficult to trade but has undeniable value. I'm going to invent a digital currency pegged to the moon. I'll sell you 200,000 of them.

tether me the remaining 199,999 and you've got a deal

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

if real world use means crypto kitties and when you trade crypto kitties it causes every transaction to take hours. ethereum's poo poo too.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Also smart contracts, ethereum's gimmick, perfect for immediately wiping out hundreds of millions of dollars.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
The thing that I don't think gets talked about enough is the constant downward pressure on price from mining operations. We see Micro Centers cleaned out of all their graphics cards in the US and that pales in comparison to the ASIC farms operating abroad. All of these people are likely to be selling their btc immediately upon reward and the only way the price can keep up is with a fresh supply of hodlers.

Also maybe unrelated but if crypto does complete the crash we're going to see a flood of graphics cards at like 25% of their sticker price. I'll bet there will be several of them still new in box.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/953347360045916162

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

bold prediction: everyone will be using US dollars to buy things a year from now

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

bold prediction: everyone will be using US dollars to buy things a year from now

I'm going to use US dollars to buy the hand axes and sharpened stickers required to fight of the hordes of radioactive ghouls.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 23, 2021

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Wary to buy any used video cards solely because miners tend to run those things til they’re on their last legs. I forgot how it went but a lot of manufacturers had to change their RMA rules because miners were exploiting that like crazy. A cheap new in box though? Heck yeah

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

I've set a limit order for 20,000 bitcoins when it hits a penny; I don't want to miss out on the future.

there actually was a time when a bunch of bitcoins got hacked and joke buy orders like this got filled lmao

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

meat police posted:

Wary to buy any used video cards solely because miners tend to run those things til they’re on their last legs. I forgot how it went but a lot of manufacturers had to change their RMA rules because miners were exploiting that like crazy. A cheap new in box though? Heck yeah

lol at “new in box”, u should buy shrink wrapper stock since that’s the next scam

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Haha wow my video card is $1000 now :stare:

My wife's computer has been crashing and I'm replacing every other part in her computer first because I think just to replace the 980 Ti she has also is like $600+ now at least and that card is several years old

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

let it mellow posted:

lol at “new in box”, u should buy shrink wrapper stock since that’s the next scam

Ah poo poo you’re right.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 23, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Haha I just checked eBay and there's R290s with bids going for over $300 CAD, and listings as high as $500.

For a card over four years old.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
It's cool guys they will have a TOTALLY NOT USED FOR BITCOIN MINING I PROMISE disclaimer

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It actually does occur to me that I've probably made like 20k from bitcoin because I bought 100 shares of nVidia like I dunno at least 10 years ago

(at least, made in terms of net worth increase)

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

there actually was a time when a bunch of bitcoins got hacked and joke buy orders like this got filled lmao
yeah that happened on mtgox if i remember correctly

there's a recording of a stream from back then where some guy is watching the price drop all the way down to 1 penny

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
gently caress you mean I could have sold my old graphics cards to fools?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

in the dystopian cryptopunk future, GPUs will supplant virtual currency as the medium of exchange once the electrical grid has collapsed, as they are the only remaining physical relic of bitcoin

edit: or maybe hard drives. people will have to use solar panels to generate enough electricity to read how many bitcoins are stored on each drive

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Andy Dufresne posted:

It's cool guys they will have a TOTALLY NOT USED FOR BITCOIN MINING I PROMISE disclaimer

Just run it in reverse. The odomoter will start to run backwards.