Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gynovore posted:

Hell yeah. I stopped reading when I saw Deus Ex at #332.

Split/Second, Samurai Showdown, and Marvel vs. Capcom all better than Deus Ex, really?

That's very generous to deus ex.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

TheScott2K posted:

Most open world games would be better if they were a linear progression of story missions that took place in discrete locations. Again, like Hitman. I don't need to be able to run to the other side of town in the middle of a mission

That would stop them being open world games, but definitely most missions in open worlds would be better if they transported you to locations as necessary. I wish quest designers would realize that having to travel to a place is not intrinsically fun.

If you felt like arguing for the badness of Mass Effect 2, I would be interested.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Oh dear me posted:

That would stop them being open world games,

Good.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This was pretty good imo

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

precision posted:

yeah that list is massively skewed towards games that "had an impact" rather than "are timelessly good" (putting things like Adventure and Dragon Warrior 1 in the top 100, instead of River Raid or literally any Dragon Quest game that came after 1 as they were all without exception improvements on the formula), and also towards "including deep cuts to prove our integrity" (ton of games on there that were only ever released on computers nobody owned)

that said they did put Journey in the top 20 so they got some things right

Definitely not denying that the concept of a Top 500 list is fart huffing to the extreme. Also not denying that the list is full of each reviewer's special snowflake games. But the point of it is - that list is supposedly a collaborative effort between freelancers and Polygon staff. The fact that 10% of the top 100 has SNES-exclusive games and zero Genesis games still reinforces my original point - saying the Genesis was poo poo compared to the SNES isn't an unpopular opinion.

The real head-scratchers on that list are:
They put P.T. - you know, a trailer for a game that doesn't exist - in the Top 200.
No Star Control 2 in the Top 100.
Ms. Pac Man at #6?

Now a fun unpopular opinion would be:
People need to stop sucking Tetris' dick by putting it at #1 of every top-whatever list. It's a way-too-common safety pick at that spot, and every time I see it there I look at the list with a grain of salt.

This is a cool list though, compiled by Hardcore Gaming 101: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/tmA5F_QiM7zVTvKVSdvS3wA/htmlviewpli=1

It's hard to figure out where that list turns from 'good games' to 'lovely games' though, because they're rating everything they wind up reviewing for the feature.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 17, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LuiCypher posted:

WHAT

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Real time + Pause is awful and the worst thing that ever happened to "traditional" WRPGs. It's like tactical combat except except far, far vaguer.

It breaks my heart that Obsidian are doing nostalgia trips for Infinity Engine fans because I loving hate the Infinity Engine and all combat systems inspired by it.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 17, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My other opinion is that Resident Evil 6 kicked rear end. It's my favorite terrible game since like, Lost Planet 2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feels Villeneuve posted:

My other opinion is that Resident Evil 6 kicked rear end. It's my favorite terrible game since like, Lost Planet 2.

RE6 rules and is by far the best one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

People need to stop sucking Tetris' dick by putting it at #1 of every top-whatever list. It's a way-too-common safety pick at that spot, and every time I see it there I look at the list with a grain of salt.
Tetris is extremely dull and boring. It barely even qualifies as a mobile game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I want to make a version of Tetris where it's nothing but longs just to prove people would still lose eventually

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

Not cool, edgy, or even an unpopular opinion.

I don't know dude, I still run into people that swear their Genesis was better, but perhaps they're skewed by a love for Treasure or maybe they really really love Light Crusader

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Good soup! posted:

I don't know dude, I still run into people that swear their Genesis was better, but perhaps they're skewed by a love for Treasure or maybe they really really love Light Crusader

It's because they only had a Genesis

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

guess that goes for a lot of people

I think Red Dead Redemption is a chore to play

Apparently among my friends this is heresy, but I find inverting the y-axis is the best way to play when using a controller

Overwatch is not good

Day of Defeat was the best WWII game, sorry Red Orchestra/COD/MoH/etc.,

Painkiller was boring even when it first came out

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Good soup! posted:

I think Red Dead Redemption is a chore to play

I keep trying and failing to get into a Red Dead playthrough. Yes, the skybox is great, but god does the game feel like work.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dedicated healing is the worst design decision in every game that has it, and WoW is a bought for having basically codified it. It's also part of why Overwatch is bad.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 17, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I mostly like OW otherwise but Overwatch's matchmaking sucks a whoooole lot. Five to ten minute waits a game? Screw that.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Real time + Pause is awful and the worst thing that ever happened to "traditional" WRPGs. It's like tactical combat except except far, far vaguer.

It breaks my heart that Obsidian are doing nostalgia trips for Infinity Engine fans because I loving hate the Infinity Engine and all combat systems inspired by it.

This

Instead of having a system to learn and exploit you get a writhing orgy of nonsense

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
The conversations in Red Dead Redemption are good and the poker is fun, but actually doing all the race quests is tiresome. I know I've played a game that let you skip driving around - was it LA Noire? - and I really wish every game always had a 'skip to the next stage of this quest' option.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate all top down wrpgs of the type where your cursor is a sword, or worse, there's a big gui bar with a sword you have to click first to turn your cursor into a sword before you can attack.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
All jrpgs are horrible because they have too many bad "acting" moments and design decisions like screaming out the name of the attack your doing.

Like why can't they just make them serious?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Good soup! posted:

I had a Genesis as well growing up, but even still - the Genesis did do a few things here and there better, but overall the SNES was the better system. Sure, Phantasy Star IV is cool, but when its competition is any number of SNES-era JRPGs (i.e., Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI) you can't really say the Genesis did RPGs better. Granted, Phantasy Star II was notable for the time it came out (1989!), but the series didn't really push the envelope as hard as those SNES RPGs.

Treasure definitely did cool things with the console far beyond what a lot of developers did, and their games typically focused on the types of things that the Genesis did well - think anything arcade-style or fast-paced.

I think where the SNES did well - and why it's generally considered the better console - is provide games that firmly transitioned away from the arcade-style experience and emphasized longer, more in-depth, memorable experiences. It took advantage of the fact that the console was a fixture in your home and you did have the time to play games for much longer, and those 10 games in the Top 100 really emphasize that.

Where I will say that the Genesis typically outperformed the SNES is in some cross-platform/similar games, and most games that came from the arcade. For example, I think the Earthworm Jim series is categorically better on the Genesis in every conceivable way compared to the SNES. I think Contra: Hard Corps for the Genesis is better in nearly every way compared to Contra III - it's faster, its soundtrack has a harder edge to it, it has some semblance of a plot, it has multiple endings depending on certain choices made in the game, there are four different ways to play (characters), etc. Sure, it doesn't have Mode 7 effects like Contra III, but in my mind those hardly make up the difference.

Regardless, these instances where the Genesis is better are few and far between compared to the perceived quality of the SNES' top titles. Is Contra: Hard Corps as great as Chrono Trigger? It's just as great in the sense that it's an exemplar of its genre like Chrono Trigger is, but Chrono Trigger provided a different - and ultimately more meaningful experience to the people who played it - than Contra: Hard Corps did.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 17, 2018

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

All jrpgs are horrible because they have too many bad "acting" moments and design decisions like screaming out the name of the attack your doing.

I wanted to link a video of nothing but Aeris' death scene for 10 hours, but the internet surprisingly has not done this yet.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 17, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Regular Nintendo posted:

This

Instead of having a system to learn and exploit you get a writhing orgy of nonsense

I'm going to send angry hatemail to Obsidian until they stop making Infinity Engine nostalgia games and start making Gold Box nostalgia games.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

That sounds like It would be incredibly fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LuiCypher posted:

The real head-scratchers on that list are:
They put P.T. - you know, a trailer for a game that doesn't exist - in the Top 200.
Ms. Pac Man at #6?

Agreed except for Ms. Pac Man, that is legit a top 10 game of all time. All those quarters... gone, like tears in rain...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mass Effect 2 is the only game that is better off being real time with pause.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Sounds boring as hell lmao

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Good soup! posted:

our version of mortal kombat had blood :smug:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

precision posted:

Mass Effect 2 is the only game that is better off being real time with pause.

The thing is Mass Effect is a shooter so there's no problem with feedback, you aim at the bad guys and shoot them. With Infinity Engine you like, sort of politely direct your guys to attack the bad guys? And somehow the D+D concept of turns is abstracted into this bullshit? It's loving horrible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

saying the name of the attack you're doing is extremely good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

TIGER UPPERCUT

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ETA:

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 18, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Endorph posted:

This

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Im torn because for the most part I agree, there are a lot of terrible JRPGS than there are good ones but shouting out attacks can be awesome

Not a game, but see: Fist of the North Star

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ya

in most games killing the big evil monster is an achievement

in rtwp games getting everyone to attack the big evil monster in the first place is an achievement

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Speaking of JRPGs, not sure how unpopular it is given the positive reviews, but the new Xenoblade game has an aggressively lovely derivative art style that makes me avoid it at all costs

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Good soup! posted:

Im torn because for the most part I agree, there are a lot of terrible JRPGS than there are good ones but shouting out attacks can be awesome

Not a game, but see: Fist of the North Star
Doing it after an attack is better. Places more emphasis that it was powerful and you can pose before or after the target explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I love red dead revolver but I think red dead redemption is extremely overrated. Single player (uneven story and lots of set pieces that have no meaning outside their one time use in a story mission, as is rockstar standard, leaves the world meaningless) and multiplayer (linear gun progression is boring and not fun) were both weak. Also I think spec ops the line is overrated and not as deep as people claim.

Shout out to the poster that said Lost planet 2 owns. I love that game.

• Locked thread