Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Bitcoin is at $6000. WTFx2!: Pieces falling off dead cat each bounce

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Uranium 235 posted:

there's a recording of a stream from back then where some guy is watching the price drop all the way down to 1 penny

I'd like to see this video

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

hahahahahaha

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

It actually does occur to me that I've probably made like 20k from bitcoin because I bought 100 shares of nVidia like I dunno at least 10 years ago

(at least, made in terms of net worth increase)

Lol I still have the 100 nVidia shares I bought at 7.60 and it was like my first trade ever purely bc AMD was 'lame'

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

emoji posted:

Lol I still have the 100 nVidia shares I bought at 7.60 and it was like my first trade ever purely bc AMD was 'lame'

hell yeah we're bitcoin barons now

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

AkumaHokoru posted:

gently caress you mean I could have sold my old graphics cards to fools?

I did, bought a vega 56 for $275 and sold it for $500 a few weeks later.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Zil posted:

I did, bought a vega 56 for $275 and sold it for $500 a few weeks later.

I had a GTX 770 and a raedon 960 iirc? that I likely could have sold to a miner.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Konar posted:

Jesus christ they say HODL as "Hoddle" gently caress me that's cringey.

Just say "hold" you weird fucks

Edit: The twitch streamer folks I mean

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I bought a share of nvda in the autumn of 2016, popping my investing virginity, and its up 148%.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Mods please put this at the top of every new page, thx.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Or don't, because the exact same pattern happens regularly and people post the same drat graph over and over.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Or do cause lol buttcoins and buttcoin people

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

I'm still not sure what the return to mean is with Bitcoin since it has absolutely no value, it's not even useful for the few things that it's supporters claim it is useful for.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The people buying into this really are pretty hopeless. They're all like 'I'm going to buy at 8k!', bitch you haven't even seen what it looks like at 8k why would you think 8k is the place to buy? You just picking numbers out of a hat?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

infinite lols

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Three Olives posted:

I'm still not sure what the return to mean is with Bitcoin since it has absolutely no value, it's not even useful for the few things that it's supporters claim it is useful for.

There is a "true" price for bitcoin based on its utilization for black market purchases and libertarians pumping money into it just because. It used to be below $100 before MtGox scammed it up to $1000. Years later ether and other ponzi schemes started pumping hundreds of millions into it to get it to $20K from $800 or so, this $800 could be the return to mean. However if it actually got that low all the ether and other poo poo will go poof so no idea how that will impact the price and how exchanges themselves would survive/stay solvent at that point. So they will do everything in their power to make sure that it doesn't happen.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 17, 2018

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Three Olives posted:

How much is weed in your area?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

My investment advice is from reddit memes, now time to check my portfolio

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

lazorexplosion posted:

My investment advice is from reddit memes, now time to check my portfolio

sire have you considered dogecoin?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

quote:

Not everyone is american, needs money, has debts or a family. I can live perfectly well with 300 a month from a part time gig as a student and still have all my life savings, scholarship funds, money I've accumulated invested in crypto.

Lol

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Mozi posted:

Or don't, because the exact same pattern happens regularly and people post the same drat graph over and over.

Read some Benoit Mandelbrot, hoss

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lazorexplosion posted:

I mean the only real way is to look hard at the underlying value of the asset. (The underlying asset is bitcoin lmao)

lol

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I got downvoted to hell 3 days ago because some guy was asking what parts he should get for a $4000 mining rig "so that he can earn money to pay off his loans" and I suggested that maybe he pay his loans directly instead because the crypto market would probably crash before his parts even arrived

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Alpha Mayo posted:

I got downvoted to hell 3 days ago because some guy was asking what parts he should get for a $4000 mining rig "so that he can earn money to pay off his loans" and I suggested that maybe he pay his loans directly instead because the crypto market would probably crash before his parts even arrived

I hope you feel great for causing the crypto market to crash with your negativity

rear end in a top hat

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I hope you feel great for causing the crypto market to crash with your negativity

rear end in a top hat

I hope both of those first two sentiments are true as well.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

"Alright, I've seen the news that the Bitcoin boom wasn't right or whatever. I have 200 dollars I'm willing to invest. But I have NO idea what I'm doing, what currency to target, etc. Is there a beginner's guide? I want in. "
-an actual person

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I really hope this is the crash. If it runs up one more time it'll suck in everyone and their dog and when THAT bursts we're in economic crisis mode.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Thread title on its way to being true again.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
Is it not ironic that crypto uses the pixel version of the very fiat (USD) crypto was supposed to be an alternative/replacement for? I just can't get over how crypto is using centralized fiat currency (albeit in uncashable pixel form) to prop up this 'decentralized' mad max funny money.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

lazorexplosion posted:

"Alright, I've seen the news that the Bitcoin boom wasn't right or whatever. I have 200 dollars I'm willing to invest. But I have NO idea what I'm doing, what currency to target, etc. Is there a beginner's guide? I want in. "
-an actual person

just take their money, tell them you know how to invest it, get loaded tonight and tell em it crashed tomorrow

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

rear end in a top hat

I have been seeing a lot of talk about how the market was wildly manipulated by one, maybe two people

WAS IT HIM???

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

apparently bitcoin crashing is a good thing because it will somehow drive investors into alt-coins that the savvy have already invested in, even though these are also crashing, you just gotta hodl

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Did someone make this in the sense that "We are being calm and HODLing, look at these idiots freaking out!" ? Because the people that HODLering on the Titanic died in the crash lol

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

apparently bitcoin crashing is a good thing because it will somehow drive investors into alt-coins that the savvy have already invested in, even though these are also crashing, you just gotta hodl

Nothing inspires confidence in even riskier investments in an asset class than the price of the underlying instrument cratering.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f18bv76QVs&t=801s

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Pivotal Lever posted:

Nothing inspires confidence in even riskier investments in an asset class than the price of the underlying instrument cratering.

This is reddit's idea of a well balanced portfolio for all of your life savings:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Rad Russian posted:

This is reddit's idea of a well balanced portfolio for all of your life savings:

Did someone seriously make that, not as a joke

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
"legit alt coins"

:smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rad Russian posted:

lmbo