Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Really all investing is gambling if you think about it. The only true fiat is gold and guns to take other peoples gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

feelix posted:

Did someone seriously make that, not as a joke

I stole it from a reddit thread and they weren't joking, just discussing how to diversify investments correctly.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Rad Russian posted:

This is reddit's idea of a well balanced portfolio for all of your life savings:

excuse me where do scented candles and NASCAR memorabilia fall on this chart

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

"keep dropping so i can buy more" :psyboom:

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Rad Russian posted:

This is reddit's idea of a well balanced portfolio for all of your life savings:

Well, this image certainly supports that strategy:

The smallest upward correction after a Jan low is roughly 2.5x, and the highest was 18x. Clearly, we can expect Bitcoin to be 200k by 2018 close.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Rad Russian posted:

I stole it from a reddit thread and they weren't joking, just discussing how to diversify investments correctly.

It's a decent strategy for stocks, 60-70% of something like VOO or SPY, 30% of blue chips, 5-10% speculative

Too bad these coins are pure speculation and not investments

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I legitimately don't understand the intended purpose of alt coins. Do they think it will supplant bitcoin, or is it just mumble mumble untraceable stuff?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

My balls..... They are gone

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I legitimately don't understand the intended purpose of alt coins. Do they think it will supplant bitcoin, or is it just mumble mumble untraceable stuff?

they missed the bubble on bitcoin so they want to repeat that success

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

They are gambling assets.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Same purpose as bitcoin.

Not a drat thing

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

they're for greedy people who got in too late to mine bitcoin.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/winklevoss-twins-seen-600-million-163936990.html

Lol

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The intended purpose of altcoins is getting rich. The people who started the coin pre-mined it, so they have a percentage of the overall supply that would make a Russian oligarch blush.

Bitcoin is actually the least concentrated coin.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

They're specialized coins meant to be used for specific transactions. Don't think of it as all the cryptos vying to be the one true currency, it's more like depending on what you are trying to do, there's a coin that will be a good fit for it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

jesus christ how much did they buy

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

What you think of this portfolio?

Portfolio so far; (More stars=higher weighting)

Cardano* NEO** Stellar Lumens** IOTA* ICON*** EOS (more Research) Vechain** Dragonchain*** Walton** Substratum * (high risk) Request Network* (high risk) WaBi** Nulls***

Undecided (higher risk) Loopring Nebulas (not that risky) Aelf Quantstamp Raiden Network NAV Po.et Ethlend UTRUST IoT Chain Modum Phore Elixir Publica

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

The real stupid part is that even though buttcoin has dropped a ton, I am still up multiple times my original amount. People are so stupid for buying in at the peak. Like 4 months ago, people were going crazy when BTC broke 10k and now that it is back under, people act like the sky is falling.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Ham Sandwiches posted:

They're specialized coins meant to be used for specific transactions. Don't think of it as all the cryptos vying to be the one true currency, it's more like depending on what you are trying to do, there's a coin that will be a good fit for it.

I thought the whole point of Bitcoin was that it could be used for anything?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rad Russian posted:

The efficient frontier is about 30-40 large cap stocks, assuming an efficient and rational market, so that's like 20-30 alt-coins.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

feelix posted:

Well, the way Cryptos work now, is that depending on what you're trying to do, there's a Coin for that

It's pretty trivial to convert crypto assets from one coin to another :shrug:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Stealthgerbil posted:

The real stupid part is that even though buttcoin has dropped a ton, I am still up multiple times my original amount. People are so stupid for buying in at the peak. Like 4 months ago, people were going crazy when BTC broke 10k and now that it is back under, people act like the sky is falling.

The sky is falling for all the people who have been caught holding the bag

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Well, the way Cryptos work now, is that depending on what you're trying to do, there's a Coin for that

It's pretty trivial to convert crypto assets from one coin to another :shrug:

Well you weren't kidding. When is SA gonna mine this stuff?

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/postcoin/

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Spent: $200
Pocketed:$4300

Not a true believer, I just bought it and forgot about it and got lucky.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Thanks for the altcoin explainers.

Is there anyone in this thread who is "investing" in this in anything other than as a form of gambling?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

They run their own exchange and bought in at $10. I have a feeling they made some actual money in the last year.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

feelix posted:

Eventually its glaring, fundamental flaws can no longer be ignored even by the true believers, so people create alt-coins that seem to address those flaws if you squint the right way.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stealthgerbil posted:

You can make money on gambling assets.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So I need one type of currency to buy donuts, and another to buy a ferrari.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Virtue posted:

Really all investing is gambling if you think about it. The only true fiat is gold and guns to take other peoples gold.
It's a slight difference with company stock. Like if you buy $5 of a large company's stock you could theoretically walk up to a stapler and talk to an employee about the work that stapler enables and how it's creating future value.

Buy then there's huge amounts of imagined value anyway so yeah instruments are made of dreams and farts and it works out because worldwide utility manages to keep increasing exponentially.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The true believers seamlessly fall into either 'meh I'm still up so I don't need to sell' or 'I can't sell now, I'm down and I'd be taking a loss'; they have been well trained to be bag holders no matter what their position is.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

EorayMel posted:

Well you weren't kidding. When is SA gonna mine this stuff?

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/postcoin/

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dentacoin/

The coin, for dentists!

It only reached a 2.4 billion market cap.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Who keeps bouncing this poo poo up to $10K?

Also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I also enjoy "Once the weak sellers are driven out of the market, the price will go back up"

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

slidebite posted:

Who keeps bouncing this poo poo up to $10K?

There's a bunch of goons who've posted variations along the lines of "I'm waiting till it hits $7000 and then I'm buying in cheap!". I'm guessing there's still plenty of money out there willing to buy in at $10k because Bitcoin will surely return to it's true course of $20k+ with a couple of months.

The worrying part is they might be right.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

WalletBeef posted:

sire have you considered dogecoin?

I cashed literal thousands out of dogecoin which I got as a meme on day 2 and forgot about until last spring.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
guess I can use this again

https://i.imgur.com/nSBfVvP.mp4

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

emoji posted:

I cashed literal thousands out of dogecoin which I got as a meme on day 2 and forgot about until last spring.

I wish this was a joke. That it was all a dream. But here I am, alive, living a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Often Abbreviated posted:

I really hope this is the crash. If it runs up one more time it'll suck in everyone and their dog and when THAT bursts we're in economic crisis mode.

No, because no institution that matters has any serious exposure to bitcoin.