Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bright was a fun action/buddy cop movie. I knew nothing about it other than the thumbnail, didn't even watch the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What is detention on? Is it that 2004 movie or is it a show?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

2012 movie on Prime, the one that also has Josh Hutcherson

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Punisher is alright. A bit chatty and slow. Jon Bernthal is really good, his character is really good, the story is really good, I just wish everyone else would shut up and let's get on with it. I'm on ep4. This is the first Marvel Netflix I've watched since DD S1.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

The End of the loving World on Netflix is really well done, I think. It shouldn't work to adapt an American comic book in a UK setting, but it does.

Edit: I see it's already been mentioned. Has Detectorists made it to US streaming sites yet? It's a great little sitcom written and directed by Mackenzie Crook and is a really nice, gentle, uncynical show that still manages to be quite funny.

Bogmonster has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Jan 16, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bogmonster posted:

The End of the loving World on Netflix is really well done, I think. It shouldn't work to adapt an American comic book in a UK setting, but it does.

Edit: I see it's already been mentioned. Has Detectorists made it to US streaming sites yet? It's a great little sitcom written and directed by Mackenzie Crook and is a really nice, gentle, uncynical show that still manages to be quite funny.

I read the comic because of the show and man is the show significantly better.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Watching Case Closed pn Netflix and watching it reminds me of why the series is such a classic. I just hope/wish that the last episode of the collection has a resolution so that Conan can finally turn back into a teenage boy again.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bogmonster posted:

The Detectorists is one of the best sitcoms of all time. S1 and 2 have been on US for some time. I watched S1 twice, might watch it again.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Welp, kiss all my free time goodbye. They FINALLY added all 15 glorious seasons of ER to Hulu. Never been on streaming before, and it's only been in syndication once in the last decade - on the impossible to find Pop network for about a year now.

This is legit the best news I've gotten this year!!!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

End of the loving world is incredibly good.

Bright is a wet fart in an old paper bag.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Agent355 posted:

End of the loving world is incredibly good.

Bright is a wet fart in an old paper bag.

These are some grade A opinions filled with important truth. Would read again.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Bright is dope and I don't get the hate for it at all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Field Mousepad posted:

Sloppy writing, inconsistent characters, horrible world-building, written by a rapist, and so on and so on.

Bright is, to me, the epitome of wasted potential.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Field Mousepad posted:

This. I chalk it up to the usual hating anything with "Will Smiff" crowd.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

wormil posted:

This. I chalk it up to the usual hating anything with "Will Smiff" crowd.

Most of what I've seen is wokes giving negative reviews, etc. because of Max Landis. Sure, he might be skeezy but that doesn't mean he can't make a decent movie. Max Landis and Roman Polanski could co-direct a movie deemed the best buddy cop flick ever starring James Franco and Kevin Spacey and I'd happily give it a shot.

That's my hot take.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bright was ok as like a sunday afternoon movie but it wasn't anything amazing. It was also probably a poor choice to condense it into a two hour movie; a series or even like a 3 part mini would have worked a lot better.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inzombiac posted:

, written by a rapist, and so on and so on.

Everyone with a dick and a bank account is a rapist.

Bright was fine.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It walked an uncomfortable line between not serious enough and not silly enough

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The End of The loving World was surprisingly good for having two lead characters that are nearly 100% unlikable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish instead of this weird Godzilla Netflix would have gotten Shin Godzilla instead

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

wormil posted:

Everyone with a dick and a bank account is a rapist.

I haven't seen Bright but I would love for you to elaborate on this hottest of takes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

kazil posted:

I haven't seen Bright but I would love for you to elaborate on this hottest of takes.

Take it how you want, then go watch Bright and we can talk about that. To be honest I'm not really interested in defending it though. It was fun and that's about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

wormil posted:

Take it how you want, then go watch Bright and we can talk about that. To be honest I'm not really interested in defending it though. It was fun and that's about it.

I don't think that is a take it how you want take, it's just dumb and nonsensical.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

You guys should watch Kantaro on Netflix if you want to watch someone orgasm repeatedly over Japanese desserts. It’s really quite something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

wormil posted:

People like you who lob out incindiary remarks and then wash your hands of the situation are the worst.
You don't get to hide behind excuses like, "Take it how you want" because we all know what you mean and you're an idiot if you're being genuine.

If you're not being genuine then you are trolling and doing a piss-poor job of it.

Kindly gently caress off.

Content:
There are not nearly enough horror-themed game shows so I'm on my... third? viewing of Hellevator.
It's absolute garbage but I love it.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

You guys should watch Kantaro on Netflix if you want to watch someone orgasm repeatedly over Japanese desserts. It’s really quite something.

That episode with the kid though, wtf japan :stare:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inzombiac posted:

Kindly gently caress off

How about go gently caress yourself and take your poo poo posting with you.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

People getting fired up about a lovely will smith movie itt

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah I'm with him, everyone with a cock and a bank account is a rapist. It's human nature. Rape is just an unavoidable part of life, as men can not be trusted with both means and penii.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Bright is the perfect Netflix movie in that if you're doing something else while it's on, it seems like a decent movie. If I had gone to a theater and watched it, I probably would be irritated. As it is, it's a mess of a movie. One of the main plot points is everyone hates orcs but it's later revealed that an orc united the 9 races and led them against "the Dark One". It's been said before but it might have worked better as a mini series, it seems like there were a lot of ideas that required viewers to fill in the blanks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

wormil posted:

Alright, I'm out.
There's no coming back from the "no U" defense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

wormil posted:

This seems kind of ironic considering.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams is on Amazon Prime - I've watched almost all of the episodes and for the most part they're really, really good. It's Black Mirror/Twilight Zone-style encapsulated episodes based off of Dick short stories and some are definitely on-par with my favorite Black Mirrors. It leans a little harder on ''sci-fi' tropes as opposed to out and out 'technology' like Black Mirror - for the most part the visuals and acting are excellent (with some big name actors too.) Here's what I believe are the best episodes if you're looking for somewhere to start:

1) Autofac
2) Human Is (with Bryan Cranston!)
3) The Hood Maker

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

jodai posted:

Bright is the perfect Netflix movie in that if you're doing something else while it's on, it seems like a decent movie. If I had gone to a theater and watched it, I probably would be irritated. As it is, it's a mess of a movie. One of the main plot points is everyone hates orcs but it's later revealed that an orc united the 9 races and led them against "the Dark One". It's been said before but it might have worked better as a mini series, it seems like there were a lot of ideas that required viewers to fill in the blanks.

Agreed. I watched it on hydrocodone an hour after getting my wisdom teeth taken out. It was fine for that. Thinking back, a lot of parts make me cringe.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just finished I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore
Despite the very bad title, I liked this one a lot.

It's about a timid nurse (Melanie Lynskey) who is robbed and her quest to recover her stolen goods.
Elijah Wood plays her hopeless but intense neighbor and the movie escalates in a pretty surprising way.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
^ Also the main bad guy is played by David Yow of The Jesus Lizard

(Unsure if that's actually a spoiler, but I'll make it one just in case because I forget and haven't seen this movie for a while.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

m0therfux0r posted:

^ Also the main bad guy is played by David Yow of The Jesus Lizard

(Unsure if that's actually a spoiler, but I'll make it one just in case because I forget and haven't seen this movie for a while.)

It's not, in my estimation.

Just watched The Incredible Jessica James.
Pretty good drama about a young failing playwright in NYC.
Jessica Williams from The Daily Show is the lead and Chris O'Dowd is the main support.

It's not going to change your world but I liked it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Literally? :heysexy:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Futureman on Hulu is better than it has any right to be.

Pretty sure I knocked out 8 episodes yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Inzombiac posted:

Content:
There are not nearly enough horror-themed game shows so I'm on my... third? viewing of Hellevator.
It's absolute garbage but I love it.

Is it better/scary than Release The Hounds? I was worried about the scariness but it was right up my alley.