Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Looks comfy as hell. Would definitely sit in it. Own it? Hell no. But I'd definitely sit in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why do people want to sit on animals are you kidding me? Think of the constant making GBS threads, the piss, the honking of tiny hedgehogs. Then you sit on the loving thing and you'd have to get it reupholstered because a bunch of hedgehogs died because of your loving mass.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Brute Squad posted:

Looks comfy as hell. Would definitely sit in it. Own it? Hell no. But I'd definitely sit in it.
It seems lumpy as hell to me. Maybe I'm overestimating how firm the hedgehogs are, though.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I want to make a joke about Prada's love of white walls, but they have a stated a preference for owning furniture.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTigPEkvjoM

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

there wolf posted:

I want to make a joke about Prada's love of white walls, but they have a stated a preference for owning furniture.
"College student hovel or minimalism gone too far": Lone poster of David Bowie edition.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Turtlicious posted:

why do people want to sit on animals are you kidding me? Think of the constant making GBS threads, the piss, the honking of tiny hedgehogs. Then you sit on the loving thing and you'd have to get it reupholstered because a bunch of hedgehogs died because of your loving mass.

Brutal.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I have had enough of these motherfucking words on these motherfucking walls

lol look how small the bedrooms are though.

Is that an old window frame with teeny tiny shutters?

It's all lipstick on a pig though as the other half of the duplex is falling apart. Which is why the house is listed as 2472sf when only ~1000 is actually habitable..

quote:

Due to a job transfer only half the house has been renovated. Foundation repairs were only finished on half the property and repairs are still needed on the other side. Demo work has already been started and groundwork for plumbing has already been inspected. Foundation still needs poured on other half or possibly torn down and build a garage? So much opportunity and rare 1 acre lot in town on a beautiful piece of property.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Words on every wall of the kitchen! That’s commitment.

The Realtor posted:

Possibilities are endless with this unique property in the heart of Colville. This historic Craftsman style home was built in the 1900's & sits quietly on almost an acre.

1900’s, huh? Care to narrow that down at all or nah? At least the home sits there quietly though. I hate it when houses make noise.

The Realtor posted:

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THE HOME

Due to a job transfer only half the house has been renovated.

Lol what a weird header to throw all that bad news under

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Melicious posted:

Words on every wall of the kitchen! That’s commitment.

It’s a real life Richard Scarry house

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The MCM matching furniture owner has logged on, friends.

I'm closing in mid-march, I'm extremely excited to get cracking on the bedroom setup :dance:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

This screams "I'm too cheap to do a proper reno and install actual drywall so I probably cut corners in other places too".

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

red19fire posted:

The MCM matching furniture owner has logged on, friends.

I'm closing in mid-march, I'm extremely excited to get cracking on the bedroom setup :dance:

...I don't think the Barcelona ever came in a loveseat, if that matters to you.

e: at any rate, I would still do a "floating" cloth piece to go with it, with a light metal frame.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 18, 2018

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Also, blame instagram/Pinterest for convincing people that they ~*need*~ words on every loving thing. I think it’s another element in the class of decorations people put up just to show to other people, except they can easily take a picture of it to deliver a very explicit message. It’s like reading a dating profile for a house.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Youth Decay posted:

On another note entirely, this might be the only time where $795k for a house is really cheap.

$20,000 in property taxes? Is that normal?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That's what? 3.5-3%?
Sounds about right.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

8one6 posted:

That's what? 3.5-3%?
Sounds about right.

Also it's in one of the wealthiest counties in the US, and it's a bigass house with a 10-car garage.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also, blame instagram/Pinterest for convincing people that they ~*need*~ words on every loving thing. I think it’s another element in the class of decorations people put up just to show to other people, except they can easily take a picture of it to deliver a very explicit message. It’s like reading a dating profile for a house.
I'm pretty sure another, very big, factor is that it lets them put nearly zero thought into that bit of decoration.

You don't have to worry about it matching or being in proportion to the rest of the room. Just slap BE KIND LIVE LAUGH LOVE WE ARE FAMILY PRAISE GOD on a surface, and bam! Decorated. Lazy as gently caress, but the type of person to put words all over their house doesn't care about that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Dunno if this is necessarily interior design, but I'm looking for input. Working on converting what has been the office to a den/guestroom. I have a vintage couch in the space already, it's 78" long x 36" deep. My house is old (built in 1926) so the room is pretty small, 9.5x11'. I want to put a sleeper sofa (54" wide) in there, plus a TV. To complicate matters this is a bedroom so there's a closet taking up a 3' section of one wall. Now I can get the 2 couches in there, but due to the layout then the tv ends up in a position where there's no good viewing angle. I'm mentally jigsawing pieces around but I can't get a logical layout going.

The couch is from the 40's and while it needs a good cleaning and some new foam in the cushions it's a really nice piece and I'd prefer not to ditch it, but it's such a behemoth for the space. I don't have anywhere else to put it - I've only got 816 SF. The TV is sort of mandatory as well, I'm moving it out of my bedroom to free up some space.

So, get rid of the land mass couch? Keep rejiggering everything until it fits even if it's a suboptimal layout? What would you, random goon, do?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

8one6 posted:

That's what? 3.5-3%?
Sounds about right.

Seemed a little high to me. I pay a little over 1% but I live in the south, though an expensive area of the south.

Of course my property taxes get me a worthless police department, lovely streets, corrupt local government, weak public schools, and this kind of poo poo

https://twitter.com/nolaready/status/953993164007747584

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 18, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SubponticatePoster posted:

So, get rid of the land mass couch? Keep rejiggering everything until it fits even if it's a suboptimal layout? What would you, random goon, do?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A) Forget about the sleeper sofa and make guests sleep on the old, dirty, uncomfortable couch

B) Accept that you'll never have the old couch cleaned, restuffed, and reupholstered, and sell it to some other sap who believes he'll definitely have it done any day now

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Anne Whateley posted:

A) Forget about the sleeper sofa and make guests sleep on the old, dirty, uncomfortable couch

B) Accept that you'll never have the old couch cleaned, restuffed, and reupholstered, and sell it to some other sap who believes he'll definitely have it done any day now
I actually got a quote on the restuff last week :v: It's part and parcel of the redo if the couch stays.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you actually will have the old couch cleaned and redone, that's great, keep it and use it as a daybed for guests, forgetting the sleeper sofa.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Get rid of the land mass couch, put something of a sensible size in. If t doesn’t fit the space, it doesn’t fit the space. No cleaning or upholstery changes that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Air matress packed away in the closet. No couchbed ever stays comfortable after a few years.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Air mattresses are pretty chilly to sleep on compared to a mattress, so be prepared to provide extra blankets, or put a topper on the air mattress.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Anne Whateley posted:

If you actually will have the old couch cleaned and redone, that's great, keep it and use it as a daybed for guests, forgetting the sleeper sofa.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Get rid of the land mass couch, put something of a sensible size in. If t doesn’t fit the space, it doesn’t fit the space. No cleaning or upholstery changes that.
:saddowns:

peanut posted:

Air matress packed away in the closet. No couchbed ever stays comfortable after a few years.
This one I can safely nix, as the closet is about 18" x 36". My storage space is an absolute premium that I won't waste.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

peanut posted:

Mine’s 3 years so far, and I routinely have guests tell me it’s more comfortable than hotel beds they’ve slept on. American Leather, middle-tier topping. It also feels like a couch to sit on, without sagging. (No coil springs.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:saddowns:

This one I can safely nix, as the closet is about 18" x 36". My storage space is an absolute premium that I won't waste.

They deflate and fold up, ya know (I'd probably store it under the couch).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

peanut posted:

They deflate and fold up, ya know (I'd probably store it under the couch).
I do. But they're not tiny even deflated and rolled up. If I keep the honkin' couch it's only got a couple inches clearance so no tucking it away there. If I ditch it then I'm going with the sleeper.

Basically anything I do with my house is like a jigsaw puzzle trying to make pieces fit. Due to its age I'm limited on where the outlets are, space available, and having a minimum amount of furniture to actually have a living space and not some sort of "sit on a milk crate" poo poo. It's a small place but pretty dang nice and my mortgage is only $485 since I bought it 15 years ago before the market went nuts. I ain't moving until I die :v:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Add some outlets and sit on the floor.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dunno if this is necessarily interior design, but I'm looking for input. Working on converting what has been the office to a den/guestroom. I have a vintage couch in the space already, it's 78" long x 36" deep. My house is old (built in 1926) so the room is pretty small, 9.5x11'. I want to put a sleeper sofa (54" wide) in there, plus a TV. To complicate matters this is a bedroom so there's a closet taking up a 3' section of one wall. Now I can get the 2 couches in there, but due to the layout then the tv ends up in a position where there's no good viewing angle. I'm mentally jigsawing pieces around but I can't get a logical layout going.

The couch is from the 40's and while it needs a good cleaning and some new foam in the cushions it's a really nice piece and I'd prefer not to ditch it, but it's such a behemoth for the space. I don't have anywhere else to put it - I've only got 816 SF. The TV is sort of mandatory as well, I'm moving it out of my bedroom to free up some space.

If you're sure you're not moving outside of some extreme duress, then probably lean towards ditching the couch that's too big for your house. It's never going to really fit and you'll spend years just shuffling it from room to room trying to force it. 40's probably means some late art-deco behemoth? Those aren't that uncommon, so I'd sell the one you have now and go look for a smaller one in that style instead.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fill the air mattress with helium and glue it to the ceiling between uses. You've got cubics of feet up there you aren't even using.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Facebook Aunt posted:

Fill the air mattress with helium and glue it to the ceiling between uses. You've got cubics of feet up there you aren't even using.
Hmm, instead of glue I could use velcro and pass it off as some kind of new artsy ceiling treatment!

there wolf posted:

If you're sure you're not moving outside of some extreme duress, then probably lean towards ditching the couch that's too big for your house. It's never going to really fit and you'll spend years just shuffling it from room to room trying to force it. 40's probably means some late art-deco behemoth? Those aren't that uncommon, so I'd sell the one you have now and go look for a smaller one in that style instead.
I love the thing, but it may be time to say goodbye. I've hung onto it because I have some other 40's pieces that belonged to my maternal grandparents and they do all sort of go together. But if I get rid of it I'll get something modern that can multipurpose.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hmm, instead of glue I could use velcro and pass it off as some kind of new artsy ceiling treatment!

“It’s for the acoustics, man!”

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I guess it's just weird to me that a giant fuckoff couch crowding the room is somehow fine, but a one-square-foot inflatable mattress in the closet is out of the question.

You also need to evaluate how often you actually have people over. Like if someone is over every weekend, it might make sense to buy a fold-out, but if this is one of those "a few times a year" instances, just do the air mattress.

e: I'd also evaluate if you actually need a TV in the guest room. Like do you imagine people visiting will feel like something is missing if they can't sit in their room and watch TV? I wouldn't put a TV in there if it means sacrificing some superior furniture layout, just because you think you "should", or just because you got a new one and you're trying to repurpose old junk. You can always sell/donate the TV

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 19, 2018

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PRADA SLUT posted:

I guess it's just weird to me that a giant fuckoff couch crowding the room is somehow fine, but a one-square-foot inflatable mattress in the closet is out of the question.

You also need to evaluate how often you actually have people over. Like if someone is over every weekend, it might make sense to buy a fold-out, but if this is one of those "a few times a year" instances, just do the air mattress.

e: I'd also evaluate if you actually need a TV in the guest room. Like do you imagine people visiting will feel like something is missing if they can't sit in their room and watch TV? I wouldn't put a TV in there if it means sacrificing some superior furniture layout, just because you think you "should", or just because you got a new one and you're trying to repurpose old junk. You can always sell/donate the TV
Well, the couch isn't crowding in there by itself. There is enough room to add a sleeper, but then at that point things get weird layout wise which prompted my post. I have 2 tiny closets, so I'd end up not having room for actual clothes and poo poo if I stuffed it half up with an air mattress. The TV is currently in my bedroom sitting atop a dresser. I don't really use it in there and I do have some old gaming consoles I'd like to plug into it.

I think what I'll do is make some footprints out of cardboard or whatever for the intended furniture. If I can't make things work I'll get rid of the old sofa, spending the money I would have used for the restuffing on a new piece.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you can’t store an inflatable air mattress you have too much poo poo.

I’m not convinced you even need the TV. It sounds like you’re just looking for an excuse for something to do with it. I’d sell/donate it.

If you do the air mattress you can keep the couch, assuming the couch looks fine in there as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I live in this town. it's one of the richest towns in one of the richest counties in the country. Like it would be top 10 if Beverly Hills wasn't counted. Also the public schools are very good, as well as a lot of private schools are nearby.