Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Chip won't suddenly wrestle Kyuranger into a ecological-focused dark drama.
RPM 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do not doubt what a properly motivated PR team can do to a Sentai series.

ZyuRanger we invented entire new fight scenes for and completely rewrote the script on everything going on in it

Dairanger we barely even looked at

Kaku we turned inside out and adapted SO out of order that footage of it appeared IN DAIRANGER

OhRanger we managed to make infinitely more streamlined and coherent

Carranger moving on

MegaRanger was a loving video game Sentai that got turned into a giant space opera

Gingaman was a super kid friendly eco friendly nature bullshit show that got turned into AN EVEN BIGGER SPACE OPERA

Power Rangers has a rich history, even before RPM, of taking one thing and turning it into something utterly unrelated.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
In Space and Lost Galaxy have to have a shoutout for transforming the poo poo they did into what it ended up into. But if Saban/Bandai can just coast off the bullshit that is the Nick power rangers, they're probably not willing to sell. Most of the best Power Rangers seasons after the original were when they thought they'd be canceled and the producers/staff were just like "okay, let's just go all out and make the show we want to"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gingaman to Lost Galaxy was also due to the highly successful In Space season. Producers and the like thought that In Space worked due to, well, being in space, so the next season had to be a Space Opera that was held together by rubberbands and scotchtape.

I can deffo see a PR season drifting hard from SS, but only about a notch above Ninninger to Ninja Steel. And only if it makes Space get more involved (which Kyurangers obviously won't need)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Gingaman to Lost Galaxy was also due to the highly successful In Space season. Producers and the like thought that In Space worked due to, well, being in space, so the next season had to be a Space Opera that was held together by rubberbands and scotchtape.

I can deffo see a PR season drifting hard from SS, but only about a notch above Ninninger to Ninja Steel. And only if it makes Space get more involved (which Kyurangers obviously won't need)

Yeah, they had to try real hard to occasionally remind us that the city was inside an improbably gigantic dome on a big spaceship, built in the late 1990s, that Farkas Bulkmeier was somehow aboard.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Kyuranger adaptation will totally ignore the space theme. It'll be about the power of myths or something.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Kyuranger adaptation will totally ignore the space theme. It'll be about the power of myths or something.

They for sure won't leave Earth, except maybe to have their zords be in orbit.

"5000 years ago, the Cosmo Crystals fell to earth in a great meteor shower. All over the world, they laid hidden and recorded the deeds of Earth's great legendary heroes. I'm Cliff Fortuna, and last week I found the Red Cosmo Crystal on my grandpa's farm. That's when my life changed forever."

<GO GO POWER RANGERS slow guitar riff as scene fades>

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Call me back when discount Yoda gives it to a caveman.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PMush Perfect posted:

Call me back when discount Yoda gives it to a caveman.

Phoenix Soldier will for sure make his debut in a toga and sandals, if they stick with his background of being the Legendary Ancient Hero who has slumbered for these many centuries past.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

Phoenix Soldier will for sure make his debut in a toga and sandals, if they stick with his background of being the Legendary Ancient Hero who has slumbered for these many centuries past.

Actually, he's the Red Ranger from the future.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

deadly_pudding posted:

They for sure won't leave Earth, except maybe to have their zords be in orbit.

"5000 years ago, the Cosmo Crystals fell to earth in a great meteor shower. All over the world, they laid hidden and recorded the deeds of Earth's great legendary heroes. I'm Cliff Fortuna, and last week I found the Red Cosmo Crystal on my grandpa's farm. That's when my life changed forever."

<GO GO POWER RANGERS slow guitar riff as scene fades>

Also my father is missing presumed dead, I must solve this mystery

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Do not doubt what a properly motivated PR team can do to a Sentai series.

I haven't watched a ton of the newer stuff, but I've been under the impression the standing rule is "don't muck with the Sentai, just basically redo it" nowadays.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

Kaku we turned inside out and adapted SO out of order that footage of it appeared IN DAIRANGER

Blanking on this one. What was this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I haven't watched a ton of the newer stuff, but I've been under the impression the standing rule is "don't muck with the Sentai, just basically redo it" nowadays.

Actually as far as I can tell the only shows that more or less stuck to the same basic plot as the Sentai were Time Force, Wild Force, Ninja Storm, Mystic Force (to an extent), Jungle Fury, and Samurai. Everything else shared a few story bits on occasion but otherwise mostly did their own thing (that didn't always make them good of course).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Time Force did the same story better than Timeranger.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Time Force did the same story better than Timeranger.

Timeranger's version was a lot darker (I don't think anybody winds up getting a happy ending in that series, hero or villain) but Time Force was good too. I think it's one of the few shows where I actually like both the Sentai and PR versions equally.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ransik's a stronger character than anyone in Timeranger and his return in Wild Force makes Wild Force worth watching.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

Blanking on this one. What was this?

For The Wedding, which was closer to late Season 2, they used footage of the bad guy's mansion from Kaku despite that show still airing. So you literally have Kaku footage mixed with Dairanger AND Zyuranger footage in multiparter.

And then season 3 just says gently caress you especially to Kaku- they adapt the end of Kaku's footage first, then they adapt the beginning of Kaku, and THEN they adapt the middle for the ending.

No other Sentai has ever been so butchered and it is great

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Ninja Steel definitely has fans, and I feel it isn’t too terrible. It’s not what y’all want because it’s heavily indulgent in MMPR signatures and has nothing to offer to anyone whose watched every episode of that series. But this is the part where you must remember that this isn’t your show anymore, it’s been a quarter of a century, the expiration date on new concepts on a kids show is like five years.

My only real complaint is the heavy amount of body humor.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

DoctorWhat posted:

Ransik's a stronger character than anyone in Timeranger and his return in Wild Force makes Wild Force worth watching.

Ransik is easily one of the best villains in the franchise.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

For The Wedding, which was closer to late Season 2, they used footage of the bad guy's mansion from Kaku despite that show still airing. So you literally have Kaku footage mixed with Dairanger AND Zyuranger footage in multiparter.

And then season 3 just says gently caress you especially to Kaku- they adapt the end of Kaku's footage first, then they adapt the beginning of Kaku, and THEN they adapt the middle for the ending.

No other Sentai has ever been so butchered and it is great

I was reading your post and parsing it as if somehow PR filmed something with Kaku assets that somehow ended up being in dairanger itself, magically. Like they hosed it up so bad footage went back in time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Ninja Steel definitely has fans, and I feel it isn’t too terrible. It’s not what y’all want because it’s heavily indulgent in MMPR signatures and has nothing to offer to anyone whose watched every episode of that series. But this is the part where you must remember that this isn’t your show anymore, it’s been a quarter of a century, the expiration date on new concepts on a kids show is like five years.

My only real complaint is the heavy amount of body humor.

Ninja Steel is fine, the only thing is that it feels about two-notches below the Dino Charge. The characters are good, the gimmick is great and the story is fine, but the show ends up being less than the sum of its parts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

I was reading your post and parsing it as if somehow PR filmed something with Kaku assets that somehow ended up being in dairanger itself, magically. Like they hosed it up so bad footage went back in time.

That's about the only way to adapt a Sentai even more haphazardly then what season 3 did.

I forgot the best part- So after they adapted the last footage for the first half, and then the first footage for the middle, they briefly go back EVEN FURTHER past the last footage (and invent new footage all together) for the latter middle

And then the last third is the middle of Kaku

So we got to see Kaku's ending, beginning, ending, middle

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So the battle with both Megazords vs Vile and Globbor wasn’t the last episode? Man did the footage scream “final episode” unlike anything since Doomsday.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers: a new zord out of nowhere. It's a good zord.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 17, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That scene with Bulk and Skull is adorable and further cements them as the best characters in this series.

Watching this though...man, for all people complain about Megaforce and with good reaason, Zordon wasn't exactly much better than his student. Both the POWER OF THUNDER! and Tor come straight out of nowhere and with no explanation, making them sound as if Zordon had them all along but decided to use them at those points because...he wanted to? I guess?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

That scene with Bulk and Skull is adorable and further cements them as the best characters in this series.

Watching this though...man, for all people complain about Megaforce and with good reaason, Zordon wasn't exactly much better than his student. Both the POWER OF THUNDER! and Tor come straight out of nowhere and with no explanation, making them sound as if Zordon had them all along but decided to use them at those points because...he wanted to? I guess?

Zordon had like six different sets of powers and zords held in reserve just in case

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Tor actually was given a proper introduction, and then they ran the episodes in the wrong order.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

Zordon had like six different sets of powers and zords held in reserve just in case

I'm trying to think of them but coming up blank. So he always had the aquitar and space powers more or less, and the mighty Morphin powers. The Ninja powers and zords as well as the shogunzords were not his. He eventually had the zeo powers and had the turbo powers laying around at some point before he jettisoned those, and supposedly he's the reason those Galaxy swords are where they are?

An I missing any?

Maybe he helped Captain Mitchell with the Lightspeed powers though it's my personal belief the government reverse engineered those from the wreckage of the turbo and rescue zords.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm trying to think of them but coming up blank. So he always had the aquitar and space powers more or less, and the mighty Morphin powers. The Ninja powers and zords as well as the shogunzords were not his. He eventually had the zeo powers and had the turbo powers laying around at some point before he jettisoned those, and supposedly he's the reason those Galaxy swords are where they are?

An I missing any?

Maybe he helped Captain Mitchell with the Lightspeed powers though it's my personal belief the government reverse engineered those from the wreckage of the turbo and rescue zords.

All of the Space Zords were his, Zeo and Turbo, Dino and Thunder.

And now, thanks to Gosei, all of the Megaforce stuff is also Zordon's since he created Gosei or something and gave him his hideout for after he died.

He may or may not have had anything to do with the Lost Galaxy powers and Zords- it's in the right ball park timeline wise, 10,000 years ago, and could have been a thing if the DaiRanger suits had been used the way they wanted

But who knows at this point

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ah I've never seen Megaforce, I didn't know Gosei worked for Zordon

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ah I've never seen Megaforce, I didn't know Gosei worked for Zordon

Yeah some how Zordon was Gosei's master.

I guess just part of his intergalactic forces fighting evil 10,000 years ago, which is also when the kerfuffle in Lost Galaxy took place.

So basically if Zordon hadn't hosed off in Turbo after their powers were destroyed he could have just went over to his student's place for some of his back up zords.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burkion posted:

All of the Space Zords were his...
And he must have influenced NASADA and the earthian government technology trees because the NASADA shuttle interlocks with the Astro Megaship.

Zordon Bilberburg did 9/11. Did he direct those astronauts to the dumpster, in order to start up his military zordustrial complex? Just asking questions here.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 17, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wasn't it implied that the Aquitar Ranger powers also came from Ninjor like the Ninja powers did?

Technically Zordon had nothing to do with the Zeo powers. The powers themselves came from the Zeo Crystal which he didn't make and the first set of zords were made by Billy while the second set came from the original Gold Ranger Trey.

Turbo I'm not really sure about, there's a fan theory that Billy was developing those powers before he left and that's why he was always disappearing whenever the Gold Ranger showed up and I think it's implied in the movie that the rangers themselves created the zords.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 18, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers: possibly my favorite monster so far this season.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's a good monster. The VA definitely nailed what he had to say.

Also wow, I can't believe I didn't realize as a kid that Jason, Trini and Zack were leaving the series, this isn't even remotely subtle. The character focus is always on the three that didn't leave (yet), the others get small cameos just to transform or stand in the background at best.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And Rocky, Adam, and Aisha are wearing red black and yellow

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tommy must have closets full of colours. Even ones he's never worn, just in case.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
So far he has black, white, green, and red, so he's all set for formal occaissions and Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Didn’t he crack a joke about having to buy more black in Dino Thunder?