Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Whatever bitconnect purported to be, looks like they decided to cash out.

A 17 year old on youtube named cryptonick made a million bucks with referrals lol

Also it was a ponzi. They promised at least 1% return per day

also lol

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I dont know what nist5 is but I want to thank it for helping me through these troubled times :tif:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Folks are posting their cryto portfolios on a discord I'm in.

gonna need an invite to that discord

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
BTC just went under 10k, RIP

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

tehinternet posted:

Its funny how things change in just a few weeks lol.

But yeah nothing is looking great. It still seems to be legislation based concern but BTC/day has dropped about 12% on Nicehash. Still considerably better off than the 70% value drop in the last 10 days but the tide is shifting onto miners finally. I've been watching all morning and there is quite a trading frenzy, the slippage is incredible

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
/r/bitconnect reopened if anyone wants a laugh.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitconnect/comments/7qs2o7/serious_question_what_strong_evidence_is_there/

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Lol. Our education system has failed.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

tehinternet posted:

they just dumped $100mil in bullshit tether

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you have been cashing out regularly like you should you would be fine. Miners are still doing fine. Its the people hodling that are suffering

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Mining profits are driven by spot price so don't act like this doesn't hurt the pool as well

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

quote:

Most people on bitconnects neck really have no idea what the diffrence is between a ponzi and bitconnect.

A ponzi has no money other then what new people bring in. Bitconnect has the BTC from all the people who bought into the program and their own 5 million bcc coins.

Let that sink in for a minute, they have all the btc and 5.000.000 x 316$ in liquidety + all the bcc that is in loans right at this moment stuck for 120-299 days.

They also have a trading bot, those bots can be bought and set up for 500$, so someone explain to me how a 1.6+ billion dollar company doesn't have one when they were genius enough to set this system up?

If any "buisness" goes under, you will be hard pressed to get your capital back, especially when its a bank.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitconnect/comments/7pre5j/does_anyone_know_someone_that_has_lost_money_with/

Dont these people know that EVERYONE makes money in a ponzi until everyone doesn't.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I heard some money sounding words once and I'd like to use them too. Or: I know what I'm talking about I'm using words just like people on TV.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Mining profits are driven by spot price so don't act like this doesn't hurt the pool as well

i went from$20 a day to $15, still easily worth doing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Are you still able to cash out with everyone running for the door?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My 1070 is down to around $3 a day on nicehash, so it might be time to turn it off. That's sorta the demarcation line for me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lockback posted:

My 1070 is down to around $3 a day on nicehash, so it might be time to turn it off. That's sorta the demarcation line for me.

Before or after electricity?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Don Lapre posted:

Before or after electricity?

Before. Daily power cost for me is something on the order of $1.00-$1.50, not counting heating "savings".

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
How is your power so expensive, I can run 5 rx580s on $2 a day

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
21 cents per KWH, represent. Even at those rates It's been worth it for about 200 dollars of profit over the year.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I'm glad I never even heard of BitConnect, good to know it's dead. I don't trust Tether, it may be rising at the moment but I suspect the guys behind it are just gonna take the virtual money and run.

Also I've come back to check on Nicehash's status, I'm waiting until February if they've finally gotten their poo poo together.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Good, that is where it belongs. Consumer hardware is trash.

Fair enough but the problem is other than in China supercomputers don't seem to be a high priority for government investment.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MaxxBot posted:

Fair enough but the problem is other than in China supercomputers don't seem to be a high priority for government investment.

Other governments (including the US) are still investing heavily in them. They just tend to get sucked up into defense-related projects that aren't nearly as useful for the overall advancement of civilization as the civilian-side ones.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm glad I never even heard of BitConnect, good to know it's dead. I don't trust Tether, it may be rising at the moment but I suspect the guys behind it are just gonna take the virtual money and run.

Also I've come back to check on Nicehash's status, I'm waiting until February if they've finally gotten their poo poo together.

There are people in /r/bitconnect who 5 days ago were like, i know its a ponzi but im gonna put in $5000 hoping it lasts more than 120 days lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

How is your power so expensive, I can run 5 rx580s on $2 a day

Mine's only $0.10 a kwh + a seasonal adjustment (which might not be anything now, I had to factor that in during the summer), but my estimate was basically 300w draw +/- running 24 hours coming out to about 9KWH.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Get a killawatt and measure accurately, my estimate with idle cpu and just the gpu running it's like 150-160w total. Convert to AC, it's probably under 175w at the wall worst case.

Using+150/+500 with 65% TDP the card should be close to 120-130w, plus ~40w idle

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Alpha Mayo posted:

Lol. Our education system has failed.

Is it me or it is an American thing for people to throw good money at bad like MLMs and buttcoins?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

Is it me or it is an American thing for people to throw good money at bad like MLMs and buttcoins?

I think it's basic psychology that dopes will do that wherever given the chance, which is why other countries will protect morons from themselves, but here :capitalism:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Palladium posted:

Our educational system is almost criminal in the way that it explicitly and pointedly avoids virtually any formalized presentation of financial literacy. We'll demand you spend 4 years in high school reading terrible books and writing essays you'll never remember on them, but God forbid kids are forced to take a class explaining things like how tax brackets work, how mortgage interest and points function, what interest is and why buying a car at 32% APR is a terrible idea, etc.

Combine that with the fundamental American backstory of exceptionalism and strike-it-rich stories, and you end up with a bunch of people willing to take retarded financial risks because they either do not understand the risks, or are convinced that they'll somehow beat the odds.

Also, as George Carlin liked to say: "think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Rich people usually have access to better education, and a lot of them fell for Bernie Madoff. Pyramid schemes are what they are, and especially in this day and age I don't think they're predominantly fruitful in just one country or region.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

Also, as George Carlin liked to say: "think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

If "George Carlin" was a required class in high school, it would pretty much fix everything.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Craptacular! posted:

Rich people usually have access to better education, and a lot of them fell for Bernie Madoff. Pyramid schemes are what they are, and especially in this day and age I don't think they're predominantly fruitful in just one country or region.

At the level Bernie played at, it was a real shock that it actually was a Ponzi, just because of how well done it all was. The air of exclusivity, the P/L sheets that seems to show they were run by financial precogs, and the smell of sweet sweet profit all conspired to entice people to buy in.

On the other hand, you have BCC, which was basically 'hahaha, nobody has an extradition treaty with Estonia' levels of obvious ponzi scam.

I really wish the public school system had a mandatory 'How to be an Adult' class your Sr. Year. So many people I know would have really been able to use a class on how to eat cheap, cook your own food, actually budget for things, read a contract and understand debt. Too bad it'll never show up on a standardized test, and as such will never be taught.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

uh oh, cryptothread getting into social and political philosophies danger zone warning warning warning warning warning warning

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DrDork posted:

It's amazing that he's using an even scale instead of a bell curve, and yet still this quote sees regular use. George, by being wrong, proved he was right.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

It's amazing that he's using an even scale instead of a bell curve, and yet still this quote sees regular use. George, by being wrong, proved he was right.

I always assumed that by "average person" he meant the 50th percentile person

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, median is just as common of a use of “average” as mean.

Not mode. Nobody uses mode.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

"Everybody is stupid except me"

-A thing everyone thinks

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

"Everybody is stupid except me"

-A thing everyone thinks

Prove me wrong then

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

1gnoirents posted:

uh oh, cryptothread getting into social and political philosophies danger zone warning warning warning warning warning warning

I mine while playing NBA2k

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

The gently caress you talking about? New supercomputers based on the latest and greatest components are constantly getting built, HPC is a huge industry in the US. IIRC on Top500 the US Government owns about half of the most powerful supercomputers, many of which were built within the last couple of years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I mine while playing NBA2k

This is offensive

• Locked thread