Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Lego Batman was great. It's so funny and so little of that humor is unearned. The deep cuts were just extra on top.

My instinct is to say I like Gamora even though I already know she's my least favorite Guardian. Liz was just barely above plot device in Homecoming. Like she sorta only exists to set up the (amazing) twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

My point is that the decision to make a movie about Ant-Not-Woman came first, and that anything made up after that can't be used to justify that decision.

I wasn't saying it justifies anything, I was just pointing out that there's several "they"s involved in the production so this isn't quite the same as the Trinity situation where it's a wholly original story written and made by the same people.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

All the humor in Lego Batman is humor I found I was supposed to be laughing at but never did. Like, all the jokes were well-constructed and theoretically landed, but left me going "Heh. This is a good, funny joke, objectively speaking," and sort of like smirked and kept watching. It never really made me genuinely laugh and...that's kind of all it is, again. There's just no greater there there.

Like, again, The Lego Movie has the loving great live-action framing narrative that really ties the entire movie together, one of Will Ferrell's genuinely best dramatic performances I've seen him do (probably only exceeded by Stranger Than Fiction), and the metatextual layer of it basically grabbing horrible Lego nerds and going "this poo poo is actually for kids, stop trying to co-opt a brand that's not yours you giant dweebuses". Lego Batman was basically a joke factory interspersed with turning to me and going "Hey? Hey Toxx? Remember this little-known Batman villain from the Golden Age? We do! We're gonna mention him!" Which, as a gigantic Batman fan, was kind of cool on its most surface of levels, but doesn't a great movie make.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Lego Batman wasn't a very good movie and it took me a week to watch it (because I got so bored). Don't get why people want this theoretical movie so badly, Lego Batman was just a bunch of (sort of impressive in how deep they were) deep cuts to Batman history that doesn't cohere into that interesting of a film. It doesn't really have the emotional heart or internal coherency that makes the Lego Movie work as well as it does, it tries to be a weird "Batdad learns how to be a Batdad" film but it doesn't feel like it's honest enough to make it land, unlike, again, Lego Movie.

This is a loving terrible opinion

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
LEGO Batman was fine but I have no desire to rewatch it. The animation is impressive and Egghead’s mech was incredible, but that’s about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It made a lot of money and was critically successful, individual opinions don't really matter.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Lego Batman wasn't a very good movie and it took me a week to watch it (because I got so bored).

Yeah, I don't like funny cool poo poo either

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

Lego Batman was great. It's so funny and so little of that humor is unearned. The deep cuts were just extra on top.

My instinct is to say I like Gamora even though I already know she's my least favorite Guardian. Liz was just barely above plot device in Homecoming. Like she sorta only exists to set up the (amazing) twist.

While I wouldn't say I hate Gamora or anything, everything interesting about her is in how she relates to Peter Quill and Nebula, and not anything inherent to herself (unlike say, Drax, who doesn't need to play off of anyone to be interesting). She also has the worst makeup of any of the characters in those movies, and Zoe Saldana isn't exactly the greatest most compelling actress in the world.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm just curious lurdiak since you keep using that word compelling, which characters in the MCU do you find compelling cuz that's just not a wood I would use to describe pretty much anyone they're all superficial comic book cutouts

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tony Stark as portrayed by RDJ is a compelling character, Loki is as well, most of the Guardians cast is, Captain America is in his own films but not really in the Avengers ones. They're characters you're immediately drawn to. You care what happens to them and understand what they're about and want to see more of them.

An example of a character that isn't compelling is Hawkeye. Like, he's fine. I guess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

Tony Stark as portrayed by RDJ is a compelling character, Loki is as well, most of the Guardians cast is, Captain America is in his own films but not really in the Avengers ones. They're characters you're immediately drawn to. You care what happens to them and understand what they're about and want to see more of them.

An example of a character that isn't compelling is Hawkeye. Like, he's fine. I guess.

Renner wasn’t a great choice for Hawkeye. He’s the kind of actor that’s just... there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Renner wasn’t a great choice for Hawkeye. He’s the kind of actor that’s just... there.

I strongly disagree. Given the right material, he’s charming as gently caress and can pull off comedy very well. The problem is that, as Hawkeye, he’s spent one movie brainwashed and two others kind of upstaged as part of an ensemble cast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's not just the actor. MCU Hawkeye is based on Ultimate Hawkeye, who's entire personality is "works for SHIELD". He was never going to be half as interesting as the classic version.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I strongly disagree. Given the right material, he’s charming as gently caress and can pull off comedy very well. The problem is that, as Hawkeye, he’s spent one movie brainwashed and two others kind of upstaged as part of an ensemble cast.

"Given the right material" is not supposed to be an endorsement.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I gotta side with lurdiak on this one renner is easily the worst actor out of the avengers group and the only time Hawkeye was the least bit interesting was when he was playing off his family

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

”Given the right material" is not supposed to be an endorsement.

It’s a mitigating factor. For the most part, Renner’s been relegated to tertiary character as Hawkeye. He was much better in that Mission Impossible movie he was in.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was fantastic in that one episode of Louie.

The problem is he's a character actor and Hawkeye in the MCU is not a character

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Renners okay, but I feel like if they had added Hawkeye after the Fraction series had come out and kind of make people realize how great Hawkeye was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/adaarling/status/953487750497320960

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I kinda wish the Black Widow movie was her and hawkeye buddy spy thriller. Have thwm go up against AIM and MODOK.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Mr Hootington posted:

I kinda wish the Black Widow movie was her and hawkeye buddy spy thriller. Have thwm go up against AIM and MODOK.

It'll be set after Hawkeye's family dies tragically in the next Avengers film and simply be called 'Widows'

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
A whole Shield movie with her at the center and Hawkguy, Coulson (welcome back buddy), and Fury set in the past could be dope.

I still do not understand that scene. It kinda makes me angry just to think about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmmmm this site is reporting that Tom Holland cameos in the Venom movie.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
A few interesting comments from Samuel L Jackson regarding his role as Fury:
https://www.avclub.com/samuel-l-jackson-on-nick-fury-mace-windu-and-the-pow-1821515913

Samuel L Jackson posted:

AVC: I wanted to ask you about playing Nick Fury in all the Marvel movies. You gave your license to use your image as Nick Fury in the comic books. How does that feel?

SLJ: Yeah. The first time I saw Nick Fury was in the comic books, at Golden Apple [Comics]. Mark Millar. Mark Millar, genius. Yeah. [Millar re-imagined Nick Fury in Jackson’s likeness in 2002 for The Ultimates, predating Jackson’s casting in the MCU. —Ed.]

AVC: I suppose you were already an action figure before that, for Star Wars.

SLJ: Yeah. But we’re going back now, and I meet Captain Marvel in more of an origin story. You’ll see Nick Fury with another guy’s face, somebody that’s got two eyes, so that’s a whole big deal. You’ll see. It’s prior to the eye injury, no eye patch.

AVC: When you shoot Marvel movies, do you just come in and do a few days? How does that usually work?

SLJ: I’m sort of the glue that holds all these guys together. I got them into the organization, into S.H.I.E.L.D., and every now and then I show up to remind them that S.H.I.E.L.D. has a purpose. It’s been a good job. It was a nine-picture deal. I did it. It was good.

Based upon that last comment, I'm guessing he's maybe killed for real in Infinity War, with his appearance in Captain Marvel being set in the 90s his last actual appearance...?

Also, was it ever revealed in Ultimates how his eye was lost? According to Wikipedia OG 616 Fury just took some shrapnel to the eye, surely they'll come up with something more exciting for the MCU.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wolverine clawed it out in Ultimate.

That'd be one way to introduce the X-men to the MCU.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sticksy posted:

A few interesting comments from Samuel L Jackson regarding his role as Fury:
https://www.avclub.com/samuel-l-jackson-on-nick-fury-mace-windu-and-the-pow-1821515913

Based upon that last comment, I'm guessing he's maybe killed for real in Infinity War, with his appearance in Captain Marvel being set in the 90s his last actual appearance...?
Well it’s his last contracted appearance, he could still be doing more later, you never know

Electromax
May 6, 2007
He even made it into an episode or two of the SHIELD show, weirdly enough.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

As far as I remember his only appearance in Agents of SHIELD is a post-credits sequence in the second episode where he chews Coulson out for wrecking the plane.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He had one more where he shows up with big guns and helps them.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

He picks up Jemma and Fitz after their undersea adventure

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

sticksy posted:

Also, was it ever revealed in Ultimates how his eye was lost? According to Wikipedia OG 616 Fury just took some shrapnel to the eye, surely they'll come up with something more exciting for the MCU.

In the 616 they would change it every so often. I remember in at least one re-telling he loses it when being tortured by Baron Blood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

In the 616 they would change it every so often. I remember in at least one re-telling he loses it when being tortured by Baron Blood.

Classic Fury always struck me as the type to make up bullshit to impress the recruits because he thinks it's funny. Maybe I'm just projecting Steranko onto him though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lurdiak posted:

Wolverine clawed it out in Ultimate.

That'd be one way to introduce the X-men to the MCU.

Considering the size of his MCU scar, it'd have to be a Baby Wolverine which would be a great introduction.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Considering the size of his MCU scar, it'd have to be a Baby Wolverine which would be a great introduction.

Hasn't Nick violated Logan's trust numeorus times? That would actually fit.

"I got cocky and lied to the most dangerous man on the planet, he sussed me out and this was the price I paid for it."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah he saves Fitz and Simmons then goes on a buddy cop shootout with Coulson, then gives him the keys to the kingdom and tells him he brought him back because he is an Avenger, then says something like "You know where I'll be". "Nowhere?". "No. Everywhere."

Then in Avengers 2 he has an eyepatch and runs Shield again because Joss hates his brother and also didn't watch winter soldier I guess

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc in winter soldier Nick says "last time I trusted someone I lost an eye" which sounds more like someone double crossed him rather than the other way around

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

zoux posted:

Hmmmmm this site is reporting that Tom Holland cameos in the Venom movie.

Having haggard, 40-year-old Eddie Brock play off of young, super-plucky Peter Parker would be super weird.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The plot twist is that Peter bites the symbiote and that's how Venom gets spider powers

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JordanKai posted:

Having haggard, 40-year-old Eddie Brock play off of young, super-plucky Peter Parker would be super weird.

I can see it working if it's played for comedy but yeah it'd be odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tom Hardy... Haggard? You take that back!

• Locked thread