Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Seashell Salesman posted:

The future of streaming is a team with a maximally skilled player, a team of comedy writers for dialog, a voice actor to say the lines, and an attractive body double to mimic the motions of the player on green screen for the MR render.

Thats my exact fetish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't like watching people play video games on the internet anyway so I've always been out of the streaming loop, but isn't it terrible to watch people play VR games? Like the weird bobbing around view on a monitor of people playing VR seems headache inducing to watch too closely at length so I'm surprised streaming VR is much of a thing. Unless the game has some kinda mode to watch it from a fixed observer cam or something.

It is in fact terrible and it's really not much of a thing right now. The only time anybody watches in significant numbers is when an already popular steamer tries it out, views die, then they go back to whatever else they normally do

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

It is in fact terrible and it's really not much of a thing right now. The only time anybody watches in significant numbers is when an already popular steamer tries it out, views die, then they go back to whatever else they normally do

Lies, You're fun to watch play echo.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't like watching people play video games on the internet anyway so I've always been out of the streaming loop, but isn't it terrible to watch people play VR games? Like the weird bobbing around view on a monitor of people playing VR seems headache inducing to watch too closely at length so I'm surprised streaming VR is much of a thing. Unless the game has some kinda mode to watch it from a fixed observer cam or something.

Its not bad. webcam ads perspective.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Seashell Salesman posted:

The future of streaming is a team with a maximally skilled player, a team of comedy writers for dialog, a voice actor to say the lines, and an attractive body double to mimic the motions of the player on green screen for the MR render.

The future is already here.

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug

Gearhead posted:

The future is already here.

Kizuna is the kind of wild cyber bullshit that I always wanted to see.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Bluejorts posted:

Kizuna is the kind of wild cyber bullshit that I always wanted to see.

I am unreasonably entertained by Kizuna Ai.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress are you weebs on about?

Anyhoo, stupid question but I'm setting up the Rift cameras in my bedroom and I noticed the crown molding above my doors gives a nice 6.5" high vantage point that should be perfect for them. The molding has a nice 2-inch deep flat spot above the doors. Would these mounts be ideal to screw into the molding, or does anyone know anything cheaper/better?: https://www.amazon.com/LINKPAL-Security-Ceiling-Adjustable-Compatible/dp/B076423TSM/

Edit: Son of a bitch, previous owners didn't bother to paint up there:

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 17, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zero VGS posted:

gently caress are you weebs on about?

Take one japanese youtube vlogger and put a voice actor and 3d model in front of them and you have Kizuna Ai more or less

(Ai, AI, get it, laugh, i barely started)

you also have some spectacular nightmare fuel if you search for 'kizuna ai everybody' on youtube and look at the first hit

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Would these mounts be ideal to screw into the molding, or does anyone know anything cheaper/better?: https://www.amazon.com/LINKPAL-Security-Ceiling-Adjustable-Compatible/dp/B076423TSM/

Imagine they'd be fine. Got these cheap https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4IOQP6/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1 and some command strips (had to tape on some cardboard to make a flat surface on the back) which have been great.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 17, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Most things on steam that detect your oculus API and force you to use it will use steam instead if you throw the game into windows 7 compatibility mode. Try it sometime. Doing that also fixes a lot of hand/gun angle problems for oculus users playing Vive only games from steam.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I'm looking around at VR headset options right now and have a question: is there a way to play, say, an Oculus game with a different headset? Or are these games, which are made for a specific headset, locked into only operating with that specific hardware set?

If there IS a way around that, is there a current consensus on the best headset option?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yes, it's called revive and lets you play oculus games on the vive

if you want to buy a headset this month, get a rift, it's significantly cheaper

if you can wait 6+ months, it'll probably be the new vive coming out which will be a step above the rift in clarity and refinement

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nickhimself posted:

I'm looking around at VR headset options right now and have a question: is there a way to play, say, an Oculus game with a different headset? Or are these games, which are made for a specific headset, locked into only operating with that specific hardware set?

If there IS a way around that, is there a current consensus on the best headset option?

There is a way around that, it's called revive and works with almost anything, but as Bhodi says, the price advantage on the rift for basically the same thing is too hard to ignore.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Bhodi posted:

yes, it's called revive and lets you play oculus games on the vive

if you want to buy a headset this month, get a rift, it's significantly cheaper

if you can wait 6+ months, it'll probably be the new vive coming out which will be a step above the rift in clarity and refinement

this is very awesome news. Thank you and Truga for the quick replies!

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Zero VGS posted:

Anyhoo, stupid question but I'm setting up the Rift cameras in my bedroom and I noticed the crown molding above my doors gives a nice 6.5" high vantage point that should be perfect for them. The molding has a nice 2-inch deep flat spot above the doors. Would these mounts be ideal to screw into the molding, or does anyone know anything cheaper/better?: https://www.amazon.com/LINKPAL-Security-Ceiling-Adjustable-Compatible/dp/B076423TSM/

Someone recommended these:
2 Pack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D49TU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1 Pack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IDCDZY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I mounted them to the walls with push pins.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

nickhimself posted:

Both Rift and Vive can play titles for both Rift and Vive. Titles specifically made for one or the other can be a little awkward to play on the other headset. Recent examples were FO4 on the Rift at launch, and playing Echo Arena on the Vive now.

As others have said if you're buying now the Rift is a much better deal. If they were priced at the same price many would argue the Vive is the better package but the Rift is about 1/2 the price of the Vive right now.

Windows Mixed Reality headsets can play Steam titles, but I'd be very wary of them for now.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

That's a shame to hear. I was really interested in the Windows Mixed Reality headsets when I heard about them. Seems like the best way for hardware to break out into more adoption is to have a huge company backing it with good AAA titles.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

nickhimself posted:

That's a shame to hear. I was really interested in the Windows Mixed Reality headsets when I heard about them. Seems like the best way for hardware to break out into more adoption is to have a huge company backing it with good AAA titles.

It will probably get better with some kind of Xbox push later on. I wouldn't take it as a sign that it's going the way of Windows phone or whatever since the ecosystem here is already desktop Windows (with minor API differences).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The MSMR headsets are fine for what they are, and that isn't as a gaming headset.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Counterpoint, I have a Lenovo Explorer and have been playing many SteamVR games on it and have had no problems and greatly enjoy the headset for gaming purposes.

There's nothing good about them exclusively, but they can be had for pretty cheap and are a great way to get into VR for $200.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Since I installed revive, every time I open any game the oculus launcher opens. Anyone know how to make it not do that? I only have 1 oculus game so it's a bit of a bother having it open for everything else.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Cheap Shot posted:

Since I installed revive, every time I open any game the oculus launcher opens. Anyone know how to make it not do that? I only have 1 oculus game so it's a bit of a bother having it open for everything else.

Under I think "applications" in SteamVR settings, you can check which apps start when you launch SteamVR.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Protocol7 posted:

Counterpoint, I have a Lenovo Explorer and have been playing many SteamVR games on it and have had no problems and greatly enjoy the headset for gaming purposes.

There's nothing good about them exclusively, but they can be had for pretty cheap and are a great way to get into VR for $200.

I mean yeah, you can get piles of Windows Mixed Reality headsets for cheap on eBay, here's four Dell hedsets, with controllers, for $230 shipped each: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Visor-Virtual-Mixed-Reality-Headset-With-Controllers-Windows-PCs-VRP100/192429870517

I still don't think it's a good value for $200 vs a Rift for $400 for general gaming, but if you're (A) legit poor or (B) some kind of dev, or mobile-demoing VR to people, then I guess it's OK

Holy moly did they bomb though, all the Windows Mixed Reality are flooding eBay at half MSRP since a month in, this is like Zune bad. After my experience getting it to run, I'd say they deserve it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just got confirmation my replacement headset has been dispatched. Exciting!

Except I've broken my leg so I'm not gonna be able to set it up or enjoy it for a while :smith:

Well maybe I can get a buddy to help me and I can try some sit down games I've been meaning to return to like Thumper and Ultrawings.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Zero VGS posted:

I mean yeah, you can get piles of Windows Mixed Reality headsets for cheap on eBay, here's four Dell hedsets, with controllers, for $230 shipped each: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Visor-Virtual-Mixed-Reality-Headset-With-Controllers-Windows-PCs-VRP100/192429870517

I still don't think it's a good value for $200 vs a Rift for $400 for general gaming, but if you're (A) legit poor or (B) some kind of dev, or mobile-demoing VR to people, then I guess it's OK

Holy moly did they bomb though, all the Windows Mixed Reality are flooding eBay at half MSRP since a month in, this is like Zune bad. After my experience getting it to run, I'd say they deserve it.

I mean they really aren't that bad. I personally could not make the external trackers work in my current apartment, so the Vive/Rift would be a pain in the rear end to deal with. I had no problems getting mine to run, the only thing that sucked was waiting 20 minutes for the WMR portal to download its poo poo. But I can play H3VR/Climbey/BoxVR/Superhot VR/Raw Data and plenty of other VR games with absolutely no problem. Hell, my wife loves it probably more than I do.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I also have a Lenovo explorer and it's been pretty great. By far the biggest issue I've had is it not remembering my boundary area so I have to retrace my room which takes all of 30 seconds.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

I mean they really aren't that bad. I personally could not make the external trackers work in my current apartment, so the Vive/Rift would be a pain in the rear end to deal with. I had no problems getting mine to run, the only thing that sucked was waiting 20 minutes for the WMR portal to download its poo poo. But I can play H3VR/Climbey/BoxVR/Superhot VR/Raw Data and plenty of other VR games with absolutely no problem. Hell, my wife loves it probably more than I do.

Seconding the recommendation for mixed reality headsets. I bought one for 200 on black friday despite already owning a Vive. For various wife and toddler reasons, I couldn't properly install the light house setup and found I didn't really use the Vive that often. The mixed reality setup for me is really easy. I would say it does 95% of the tracking that Vive. Seamless roomscale without needing external sensors is pretty amazing. Never used a rift so I can't compare.

One caveat is that serious Sam games don't work properly on it. I haven't found any other steamVR games with issues. I haven't tried revive either.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Double Post :( :( :(

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 18, 2018

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SpartanIV posted:

I also have a Lenovo explorer and it's been pretty great. By far the biggest issue I've had is it not remembering my boundary area so I have to retrace my room which takes all of 30 seconds.

Does steamVR advanced settings let you slam the steamvr boundries back in?

Zero VGS posted:

I want one for mobile VR tbh. I'm not ripping down my rift to take to a friends, These? gently caress yeah.

Next month I'm buying one for sure.

lostleaf posted:

Seconding the recommendation for mixed reality headsets. I bought one for 200 on black friday despite already owning a Vive. For various wife and toddler reasons, I couldn't properly install the light house setup and found I didn't really use the Vive that often. The mixed reality setup for me is really easy. I would say it does 95% of the tracking that Vive. Seamless roomscale without needing external sensors is pretty amazing. Never used a rift so I can't compare.

One caveat is that serious Sam games don't work properly on it. I haven't found any other steamVR games with issues. I haven't tried revive either.

Love hearing this. Good reviews for cheap VR is awesome

How does serious sam not work? Curiously.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
How are the optics on the Lenovo? Dell optics are the worst I've ever used on an HMD, and I'm including Gear VR and Google Cardboard. Everything outside the middle third had heavy blur and chromatic aberration.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Zero VGS posted:

How are the optics on the Lenovo? Dell optics are the worst I've ever used on an HMD, and I'm including Gear VR and Google Cardboard. Everything outside the middle third had heavy blur and chromatic aberration.

It’s probably not great compared to a Vive. You have to have a compatible IPD since all of the non-Odyssey WMR headsets have a fixed IPD (I believe 64 with small software adjustments is what the lenses are dialed in at) and it has a small sweet spot for the focus, but once you get it dialed in it’s still usable.

The edges are pretty blurry, but I haven’t used a Vive recently enough to compare how bad.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My friend has a Vive and I can testify that the Lenovo does have a smaller sweet spot. You have to get it on your head more or less just right. I do feel like when looking at that sweet spot that the picture is better than the Vive though.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Cheap Shot posted:

Open Windows Services and find Oculus Runtime Service or whatever it’s called. Change it to Manual instead of Automatic. You’ll have to manually start this service with the Windows Services application whenever you want to play Oculus games (else they’ll throw up an error).

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Bd3HUMkyU

This is all the evidence I need to know that Nintendo would do really fun VR.

Hurry up future :(

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chadzok posted:

Open Windows Services and find Oculus Runtime Service or whatever it’s called. Change it to Manual instead of Automatic. You’ll have to manually start this service with the Windows Services application whenever you want to play Oculus games (else they’ll throw up an error).

Can he use oculus tool tray to do the services poo poo? It’s how I wrangle that nonsense on my rift normally. Figure it should still start and stop the service even on vive right?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Songbearer posted:

Just got confirmation my replacement headset has been dispatched. Exciting!

Except I've broken my leg so I'm not gonna be able to set it up or enjoy it for a while :smith:

Well maybe I can get a buddy to help me and I can try some sit down games I've been meaning to return to like Thumper and Ultrawings.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Chadzok posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Bd3HUMkyU

This is all the evidence I need to know that Nintendo would do really fun VR.

Hurry up future :(

That is so goddamn adorable I can't even express it. Like, that's seriously cute.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Roadie posted:

Star Trek: Bridge Crew

Man, I saw this was on sale recently and didn't get it because i have enough of a backlog, but now one of my non-vr friends that also wants to play it noticed it's playable without vr now and that sucks cause we'd play it a lot together.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Criken did a good video yesterday, already posted in this thread. For streamers the limitation is the same than devs, they cant stream about obscure games, they need to go with what is popular. Fun/silly videos works in VR, I think. I really want to watch somebody playing gorn just now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

lostleaf posted:

For various wife and toddler reasons

I feel your pain. My gaming life in general is pretty much dead. Now I only get read about games and imagine how much fun they are.