Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Earlier ITT i posted that "subnautica VR is trash for trash people no touch controls or anything lulululul im gay dead game", but it doesn't seem to be quite the case. Just fired it up in VR cause i was bored and they seem to at least be working a bit on it cause Touch has some functionality now. You look at stuff and then use your touch buttons to interact with them, it just halfway works like everything else in the game. Subnautica VR does have some neat potential, but needs a lot of work so not terribly hopeful.

It doesn't really feel like a VR game tho cause you don't see your hands, but babysteps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I found a section of The Void that has a smallish hole you can fall into. This means you can build a base. Bring melon seeds or a couple big eggs and you can power the whole thing too. I don't know if Ghost Leviathans attack bases, though.

Coordinates: -1393.2, -324.2, -905.5. Jump off with your Prawn, facing the The Void, and you should land eventually.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'd love to see what this looks like. Do you happen to have a video or screencaps of this spot?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vasler posted:

I'd love to see what this looks like. Do you happen to have a video or screencaps of this spot?

https://streamable.com/mb51r

Without the "fog" console command, it's pitch black except for your PRAWN Suit lights and whatever lights from your base. It's impossible to get back up unless you're on Creative mode; the grapple arms can manage it easily but the Ghost Leviathans will eat you within a minute. If you're really determined, you could try taking the Cyclops down. Might require several decoys and the shield module. I don't know if the Ghosties continue attacking your sub when you're out of it, at that depth. I was testing the feasibility of creating a base down there on my regular save, just to have it. Without the Cyclops or cheating, I don't think it's possible.

On a related note, you used to be able to jump off the side and fall forever. One of the latest patches teleports you back to the Safe Shallows if you manage this; my save file that's almost 750,000 meters underwater just dumps me back there. The game engine starts to break down around 100k, and just gets worse.

The screen was violently shaking: https://streamable.com/ymia5

Edit: Well now I need to find out if it's feasible. I'll have to load up the Cyclops with decoys and the shield. I'll consider it a success if I can make a base and escape out of the Void without dying.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 16, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Do not try to build a base inside the Warp. :commissar:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There's going to be a launch stream at an aquarium on the 23rd.

Marketing email posted:

During the stream, you can look forward to:
Premiere of the Subnautica Cinematic Trailer
Premiere of the Subnautica Gameplay Trailer
The pushing of the Big Red Launch Button
Interviews with the development team
Real live sea creatures

I assume they aren't going to actually do any live exploration gameplay due to pop in issue. Maybe their character will just be there in one place waiting to push the button?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It’s a great aquarium. Go for the launch. Stay for the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

what are the chances that someone will mod the game post-launch to make the cyclops not awful?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I remember at one point they said all the early access people would get some custom fish pet or something. Did that happen?

Also Admiral Joeslop thank you for those video clips, that looks weird as heck!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Monowhatever posted:

what are the chances that someone will mod the game post-launch to make the cyclops not awful?

There's a moderately active modding community already working on stuff from basic poo poo to assault rifles or whatever to multiplayer coop, so i'm sure the COULD do it, but they might be in the camp that thinks the Cyclops nerfs aren't severe ENOUGH :unsmigghh:

You know how modders are :nexus:

Vasler posted:

I remember at one point they said all the early access people would get some custom fish pet or something. Did that happen?

Yeah, Cutefish or something. You find it's egg by following the story and then hatch it in a aquarium i assume, haven't done it myself.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The OST has been added in experimental.

In the folder Subnautica/OST you'll find 1 hour and 39 minutes of music in .mp3 format. Available to everyone who bought the game.

Salutations
Into the Unknown
Tropical Eden
God Rays
In Bloom
Precipice
Sun & Moon
Finding Life
Crush Depth
Original Inhabitants
A Tendency to Float
Abandon Ship
Ahead Slow
Alien Expanse
Alien Passageways
Alien Spaces
Alterra Science
Amid the Kelp
Ancient Aliens
Arc Lights
Blood Crawlers
Blueprint
Bone Fields
Bring a Medpack
Buoyancy
Caverns
Coral Reef
Crash Site
Dark Matter Reactor
Exosuit
Fear the Reapers
First Immersion
Ghost Tree
Ghosts
Habitat
Infected
Islands Beneath the Sea
Lava Castle
Leviathan
Cycle of Life
Lost River
Maneuvers
Mushroom Forest
Observatory Zen
Red Alert
Rock It!
Safe in Kelp Forest
Seamoth
Shadow of the Reeefback
Shallows
Sunbeam
Unknown Flora
Violet Beau
What Are You
Lift Off

Listen carefully and you'll hear Donald Trump say "China". The only positive contribution to anything he's ever done.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Zesty posted:

It’s a great aquarium. Go for the launch. Stay for the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium last year and although I had bought Subnautica months before I never spent much time playing it. After I got home from the aquarium tho I was super stoked on water and sunk about 20 hours into before getting bored/tired of popup. Launching from there is a good gimmick, well played game devs. Now fix your game.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Monowhatever posted:

What's awful about it? It works fine for me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's useless except for the mandatory bit where you need it to get through the lava area.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Michael Bayleaf posted:

What's awful about it? It works fine for me

The worst thing about it for me is that using the sonar uses up 1% of your total power PER PING and that you are under constant attack in it in some zones.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does it use 1% no matter what, or less if you have In Batteries? I haven't used the sonar, I just go with the cameras. I've also found it useful for carrying supplies for a new base, or carrying more that I farm with the Prawn. Seamoth is faster but doesn't hold enough and you can't get the Large Deposits, the Prawn takes a while and also can't hold that much compared to the Cyclops.

I read through the entire thread, I guess I'm having too much fun with it to let stuff bother me.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

OwlFancier posted:

It's useless except for the mandatory bit where you need it to get through the lava area.

It's been extremely useful to me :shrug: I can haul all kinds of poo poo around fast with it, including grow beds which is awesome. Using the cameras, it's definitely easier to drive than a truck in euro truck sim and I've never gotten under like, 85% battery life. The only time I took real damage so far was when there was a ghost above me I didn't notice.

oh and yeah I haven't used the sonar

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The sonar is really useful but it is far too energy-expensive for what it does. Either it needs to have the visual last much longer (at least for the non-moving parts), or the cost needs to maybe be a third of what it currently is.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Michael Bayleaf posted:

It's been extremely useful to me :shrug: I can haul all kinds of poo poo around fast with it, including grow beds which is awesome. Using the cameras, it's definitely easier to drive than a truck in euro truck sim and I've never gotten under like, 85% battery life. The only time I took real damage so far was when there was a ghost above me I didn't notice.

I just wish it was invulnerable above 100 or 200 meters. It would easily make its problems not be problems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Yeah but like you don't actually need any of that poo poo because you can just get some dried food at your base which will last you ages, and your water production is still base-locked, and everywhere is so close together that the only conceivable place you would actually need the cyclops is the lost river, and it's an absolute pain to drive down there as well as there being a perfect base location at the edge of seamoth range.

You can use it as a base if you somehow got one before you got a decent base but once you have a decent base, the cyclops is pretty unneccesary and more prone to being eaten by bonesharks while you're not looking. It's an interesting novelty I guess but I would probably never bother with it were it not mandatory below a certain depth.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 18, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Unless they made some QoL changes I've overlooked regarding the blue keycard, even if you are the coolest Prawn pilot in the world. Cyclops mostly has going for it plot wise "Allowed to have a fabricator", to deal with the fact there is one blue keycard but two blue doors.

Otherwise, you had to U turn and go back to the nearest base. Or have built one ahead of time right outside one of the portal exits. I lost track of people soft locking themself out of the plot and needing to use the console, because they used their blue keycard without scanning it only to find a second blue door right behind it. Hopefully it at least adds the blueprint directly on picking up your first one or something now?

Speaking of keycards. I wonder if launch will add any relevance to the Orange keycard room, except for data files and a couple ion crystals at least. I think I read they put a cuddlefish egg in there?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 18, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They haven't fixed the blue keycard issue yet? If you didn't scan it before using it you're locked out of progression without the console?

They should just remove scanning/fabrication of keycards completely and hide them throughout the world with clues here and there. How many of each color need to be crafted as it is?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

They haven't fixed the blue keycard issue yet? If you didn't scan it before using it you're locked out of progression without the console?

They should just remove scanning/fabrication of keycards completely and hide them throughout the world with clues here and there. How many of each color need to be crafted as it is?

It's been quite some time since I went through the route, so I'm trying to he hopeful that they have by now, or at least by launch.

Needing to scan for the purple keycards worked out fine because you had a nice obvious "broken" one to grab your attention near the entrance to the giant cannon, along with various spares across the game. Though it's more convenient to craft spares on replays once you know exactly how many ion crystals you want for what when, purples range from "You need this for plot progress" to "It opens a little side room". You have a well implemented assurance you will have it scanned, and will have long since learned purple keycards are something you may want spares of.

Forgetting to scan the orange keycard never mattered because there was only the one door for it anyways, and (Unless they changed it) you could beat the game without ever even knowing that place existed. Which probably goes a long way to why people didn't expect to need spares of anything but the purple cards on their spoiler free run.

It was always the blue key card that caught people off guard. "I made it! The Blue Keycard unlocked the end the game-is that a second blue keycard door?". Or the merely annoying case for people who did scan it, but taking their Prawn to the finish line meant awkwardly realizing you had no way to craft the surprise second key without heading back to the closest Cyclops or base.

It's was easily dealt with, either by console commands or an awkward trip home. But still a bit of a speed bump right before your big meeting with exposition. Which is why it would be nice to hope it was fixed/is going to be fixed in implementation.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 18, 2018

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Keycard blueprint thing hasn't been an issue for at least 6 months. It artificially extends the game for a bit, but isn't backbreaking. You can fit a lot of poo poo in the Prawn and player inventory so you could just carry down a barebones base with you to fabricate the spare. There's a bunch of basic building materials in lost river big ore things to work with. Should be more efficient to take that route than building and upgrading a Cyclops. Never Cyclops.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but like you don't actually need any of that poo poo because you can just get some dried food at your base which will last you ages, and your water production is still base-locked, and everywhere is so close together that the only conceivable place you would actually need the cyclops is the lost river, and it's an absolute pain to drive down there as well as there being a perfect base location at the edge of seamoth range.

You can use it as a base if you somehow got one before you got a decent base but once you have a decent base, the cyclops is pretty unneccesary and more prone to being eaten by bonesharks while you're not looking. It's an interesting novelty I guess but I would probably never bother with it were it not mandatory below a certain depth.

I don't think it's a pain to drive at all, just say gently caress it and drive forward while switching between the cameras. The only creatures that ever bother me when I'm in it are those electric assholes and energy drain assholes. Bonesharks and almost every predator in the game don't even attack it. I guess they used to?

endlessmonotony posted:

I just wish it was invulnerable above 100 or 200 meters. It would easily make its problems not be problems.

Why's that?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Bonesharks and almost every predator in the game don't even attack it. I guess they used to?

This used to be the killer yeah, but then I never really ran into any of the cyclops problems after that.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Michael Bayleaf posted:

I don't think it's a pain to drive at all, just say gently caress it and drive forward while switching between the cameras. The only creatures that ever bother me when I'm in it are those electric assholes and energy drain assholes. Bonesharks and almost every predator in the game don't even attack it. I guess they used to?

They made bonesharks not agro the cyclops at all? If so that makes it a lot more interesting to me. I'm fine with the more advanced fish attacking it, going deep should be tense and last time i tried it stealth, decoys and etc was enough to get me to the lava facility without having to repair. gently caress being swarmed by like 6 bonesharks at 50 meters tho.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Last time I tried to drive it through the lost river there was some kind of effect that cut its speed down to like a third of whatever it normally is, even at full speed, as soon as you enter into that area. It's really annoying and makes it take absolutely ages to drive through there even ignoring the fiddliness of trying to get it down through the kelp caves or the reef.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The cyclops also counts as a respawn point which is amazingly nice and reassuring for the places that take 20 minutes to reach from surface

Dongattack posted:

They made bonesharks not agro the cyclops at all? If so that makes it a lot more interesting to me. I'm fine with the more advanced fish attacking it, going deep should be tense and last time i tried it stealth, decoys and etc was enough to get me to the lava facility without having to repair. gently caress being swarmed by like 6 bonesharks at 50 meters tho.

Enemies that care about the cyclops were reduced months ago, only the big poo poo cares now so the majority of journeys are the way they used to be, also you can bump into stuff slowly without each bump ripping a hole in the side

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Idly watching a streamer play the game for the first time now and then atm.
It's kinda baffling to me that you don't start with the multipurpose room unlocked. He unlocked the base building tool a while back, but keeps saying "well i cant start building a base without the multipurpose room, its the only ROOM, the rest are just corridors!". So he keeps fruitlessly looking for the multipurpose room, probably will be for a long rear end time cause the first ones you come across are either at 200m or on the island iirc.

Edit: such an utter joy to watch someone who isnt a bitter vet enjoy the game tho. also he just get owned by his first leviathan :lol:

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 18, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You can build corridors to start. There is a multipurpose room in the Jellyshroom Caves, where one of the first radio signals or lifepods sends you.

I had a Seamoth when I finally made it down there, so I could just park it at 199m and swim down to scan things. I didn't know anything about the game (I don't think I'd even opened the Wiki yet) and I managed to find it just fine by following the breadcrumbs.

Maybe it shouldn't be an unlock but it's not exactly hard to find.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The lack of a basic room confused me on my first time playing as well. Nobody is going to think that they're supposed to build their first base out of connection tubes, or that those tubes are actually big enough to put stuff into. if the multipurpose room is too special to be available from the start, then they could at least add a smaller basic room.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I can safely say I built my first base out of corridors. I figured out the multipurpose room existed because I'd unlocked equipment that could only be built in one, but setting up the base was intuitive.

I had more trouble figuring out that I didn't need to pump air into it. Wasted a lot of time and material trying to build a long tube to the surface.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's dumb that it's locked but it is pretty easy to find because you get pointed directly to the cannon island, and if you poke around there at all then you can warp to the floating island where the room is very easily seen. In practice I doubt many new players go overly long without it

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Digirat posted:

It's dumb that it's locked but it is pretty easy to find because you get pointed directly to the cannon island, and if you poke around there at all then you can warp to the floating island where the room is very easily seen. In practice I doubt many new players go overly long without it

Guy i'm watching is so focused on finding the multipurpose room that he does not check his radio and so he's never pushed towards the cannon island :v:
It should just be unlocked, it's dumb and he's dumb too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You should stary with the room and have to unlock the corridors if anything

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So is this basically done or is there a final release to come? Looking forward to a full playthrough.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
They should give you a deployable 'starter' room that you find in your pod. It won't be able to be replicated, so you would still have to find the blueprint to build more.

Hire me UWE.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

Yeah they finally made that sensible change (to much wailing and crying of their players wanting the world's most hardcore survival game in the world). But after that change something was done to large predator AI that makes them keep loving with my Cyclops while it's parked engines off.

Not "attack" (Though it did a couple times, that was clearly a bug). But break off their patrol routs to bee line to it and hump it for technically no damage until it gets destroyed by either collissions, or glitches (The game does NOT like trying to dock your prawn into the cyclops if it's askew or moving. I've had my cyclops teleported halfway through the mountainside around the containment facility).

So hopefully this too is on the list of "They fixed that while you were out". Even if it was already a problem I got every time I loaded my game amidst people telling me "Well, that never happens to ME!" or "Why are you bringing your cyclops to the containment facility anyway, you idiot?" between yelling at anyone saying the Cyclops is too useless to bring to the containment facility.

Dongattack posted:

Idly watching a streamer play the game for the first time now and then atm.
It's kinda baffling to me that you don't start with the multipurpose room unlocked. He unlocked the base building tool a while back, but keeps saying "well i cant start building a base without the multipurpose room, its the only ROOM, the rest are just corridors!". So he keeps fruitlessly looking for the multipurpose room, probably will be for a long rear end time cause the first ones you come across are either at 200m or on the island iirc.

Edit: such an utter joy to watch someone who isnt a bitter vet enjoy the game tho. also he just get owned by his first leviathan :lol:
The bright spot about losing MP rooms by default, was that was when they gave us solar panels by default. While they were in the safe shallows, it was dumb as gently caress not being able to provide air to your emergency underwater shelters by default.

As far as I know, the occasional hints they would pull solar panels out of the default list like they removed beacons were never met thankfully. At that point you may as well gate hallways on top, if you can't even start out providing them air.

redreader posted:

So is this basically done or is there a final release to come? Looking forward to a full playthrough.
The escape via rocket launch is being deliberately held back until the game launches. I'm hazy what else, if anything, is being held back until launch.

Dongattack posted:

Guy i'm watching is so focused on finding the multipurpose room that he does not check his radio and so he's never pushed towards the cannon island :v:
It should just be unlocked, it's dumb and he's dumb too.
Yeah, I've always held that concern and it's a big reason I'm so down on "Oh no, you can't see the island ON PURPOSE!". Imagine how much less trouble the new guy you are watching would have if they could see the giant land mass properly, rather than "No see, there is a smudge on the horizon for people who already know it's there to follow".

At least the Radio triggers have been cleaned up a lot though. Less unrelated stuff, like building a bio reactor used to be the radio trigger for the closest lifepod with the repulsion gun or some other big QoL upgrade.

Plus now there are redundancies, like the previously problematic "You won't be shown where the lifepod with the Cyclops depth upgrade is until you build a thermal reactor!", also has "Or you enter the grand reef".

That was one of the more oddball flow problems, even if you did want to regularly check your radio. To the point the Devs said "Wait, the BIO REACTOR Triggers WHAT? That's strange". So I'm glad to see it's been mostly addressed.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Will the escape rocket be patched in or will I have to restart from scratch?

edit: if I start a new game right now, I mean

edit 2: how were fruit 'nerfed'? I last played this like 8 months ago maybe and I just had to knife every 3rd or 4th fruit and I could eat lots of fruit.

redreader fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 19, 2018