Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one fun thing i learned in catholic school is that in the medieval ages, pope gregory the first declared that baby rabbits were fish and therefore it was okay to eat them on fridays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the catholic and orthodox churches have laws and rules so old and complex that they far outstrip even the most annoying d&d rules-lawyer and it owns

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
a lot of those weird nitpicky theological disputes that make you go "why were people willing to kill each other over this" were tied to much more important political developments

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pakled posted:

a lot of those weird nitpicky theological disputes that make you go "why were people willing to kill each other over this" were tied to much more important political developments

yea this

issues over iconoclasm tended to become especially a proxy for "the last king was horrible! Look at his heresy!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pakled posted:

yeah if you can get someone excommunicated it’s a free CB if you can’t imprison them

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

christians, the largest religious group on the planet: um durr, we haff spents tuu tousenn yierss in intalekshel diloog abaut da natur uff gaud

me, with universe brain: heh, nitpicking amirite

a lot of top-tier nerds and spergs obsessed over theology back then bc science and pokemon hadn't been invented yet

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
mary gave birth without breaking her hymen

what a glorious miracle the lord saw fit to perform

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

jesus was a butthole baby, this is accepted fact in my church

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Thomas Aquinas believed that semen was the carrier medium for original sin, and that's why Jesus had to be born to a virgin

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lutha Mahtin posted:

christians, the largest religious group on the planet: um durr, we haff spents tuu tousenn yierss in intalekshel diloog abaut da natur uff gaud

there are more christians than hindus or muslims? (i don't keep up with the latest news)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the catholic and orthodox churches have laws and rules so old and complex that they far outstrip even the most annoying d&d rules-lawyer and it owns

and then you read the talmud

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

:rolleyes:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

Thomas Aquinas believed that semen was the carrier medium for original sin, and that's why Jesus had to be born to a virgin

when sperm was first discovered they figured that it carried the soul of the baby. but since only god can make souls they also figured each soul-sperm had all the souls of all of its descendants, with everything originating from adam's trillion-souled-cum made by god.

naturally the female played no role in any of this whatsoever

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

and then you read the talmud

there's a reason there are so many jewish lawyers

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Gospel of James covers this- some midwife tried poking her fingers into mary to check her out and her hand got lasered off by god's vengeance

quote:

18 Then Salome went in, and the midwife said, "Mary, show yourself, for a great controversy has arisen about you." 19 And Salome tested her with her finger. 20 But her hand was withered, and she groaned bitterly, 21 and said, "Woe to me, because of my iniquity! For I have tempted the living God, and my hand is ready to drop off."

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Gospel of James covers this- some midwife tried poking her fingers into mary to check her out and her hand got lasered off by god's vengeance

jfc mary wash it occasionally

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

jfc mary wash it occasionally

Yeah Joseph really dodged a bullet by not hitting that first.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

agreed this is why I try and remove the sin from my body as often as possible so I don't get busted by the :cumpolice:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

name/av/post

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
you joke about clams being rocks but that's why i got to eat them during lent in my misspent youth

also aquinas was a huge nerd too he tried the medieval equivalent of merging star trek and pokemons into the batman universe

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
dont even pull my finger on anselm or ill fart my sin all over you

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sagebrush posted:

mods please namechange me to Original Semen

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
It may be used safely for unprotected anal intercourse.[citation needed]

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Improbable Lobster posted:

i feel like it would be hard to actually get a number on how many people follow major religions

at least 12
i guarweneteee

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Historical and technological trends suggest that in the actual year 10,000, it is practically impossible that any of the data processing technology or software in use today will still be active.[citation needed]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what about the notional year 10,000?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

gently caress everything will have those Y10K Compliant stickers all over them

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
post the most charmingly naive lessons learned from video arcade game history you got

The photo technology was originally to be used in another game, which would take photos for the high scores. However, the game in question failed location testing when one player engaged in exhibitionism, flashing the camera.[2]

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
revolution x is the superior arcade game based on a band

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

She stated that the German military will stop using a plastic assault rifle that can't shoot straight when temperatures rise above 30 °C (86 °F) or the rifle heats up during a firefight.[30]

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pakled posted:

revolution x is the superior arcade game based on a band

music IS the weapon

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

post the most charmingly naive lessons learned from video arcade game history you got

The photo technology was originally to be used in another game, which would take photos for the high scores. However, the game in question failed location testing when one player engaged in exhibitionism, flashing the camera.[2]

this thread has actually taken a great turn in mostly being about posting the most interesting/entertaining thing you can find on wikipedia which a dour wikipedia nerd would find worthless

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this thread has actually taken a great turn in mostly being about posting the most interesting/entertaining thing you can find on wikipedia which a dour wikipedia nerd would find worthless

yeah i agree. this way is much better

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i wanna post onto fishmech

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

A woman demonstrates the operation of a jean jacket.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Nintendo Co., Ltd. (任天堂株式会社 Nintendō Kabushiki gaisha) is a Japanese multinaitional consumer electronics company heidquartert in Kyoto, Japan. Nintendo haes released mony gam systems, anaw th' nes (nintendo entertainment system), gameboy, snes (super nintendo entertainment system), virtual laddie, 'n' th' nintendo 64.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

the nintendo virtual laddie premiering this year at e3

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

what level of worthless are we talking here. like did they manage to sneak in a reference to pro wrestling, some obscure fetish, and/or Japan??

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

jeansplaining

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
shaimfu'

a trew scotsman dinnae write this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The series is about a law enforcer, during the Edo who interrogates female victims with his large penis.[1]