Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Serifina posted:

If you're adding Twitter alternate apps, please add Echofon as well.

I can try!

Crime on a Dime posted:

~ why do some bookmark threads have a red color link to unread posts and others are orange? I assume it's supposed to be threads you are quoted in or something but it doesn't work. One thread unread count is always red and no other.

On the website you can change a bookmark's color. Awful will show the color but currently has no way to change it. Any chance that's what you're seeing?

SLOSifl posted:

There are a few additional symptoms for this one.

• The status bar text goes from white to black with an upward wipe, as if something slides up over it.
  • Something slides off the screen downward. not sure on this one now
  • The navigation bar eventually appears floating over the thread list, but with no visible controls on it.

Also you can get out of the preview loop by canceling and hitting the post button. It will be sitting there ready to post. Not sure fit his helps track it down. It happens 100% of the time for me.

Edit: Screenshots, “good” status bar state, bad state (links don’t work) plus lost navigation panel.

https://imgur.com/a/PPjvc

That is fascinating, I've never seen that before. I have vague thoughts about what might be happening but I'm largely lost at the moment. Thanks for the writeup and screenshots!

Billzasilver posted:

While we’re at it, you’d probably want to make liking tweets possible in the forums without needing to open twitter itself first. Idk how but the android version works that way.

How does it work on the Android version? I don't really add a whole "sign in to Twitter" thing to Awful, but if there's something in between that and kicking out to Twitter.app I'm game to try it.

Nitr0 posted:

Can’t go to current page of this bookmark. Just displays this error.

Cleared cached and logged out no difference.

Can get to previous page

As mentioned, looks like this is the ol' ghost post issue. Forums fuckery unfortunately, not even sure we can detect that and give it a better error message.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Got "scraping failed, error 0" when using the quote function

Gotta work on the ol' error reporting :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pokeyman posted:

That is fascinating, I've never seen that before. I have vague thoughts about what might be happening but I'm largely lost at the moment. Thanks for the writeup and screenshots!

I see it pretty often myself on my iPhone 7, (usually latest) master branch. Near as I can tell, _something_ is causing SFSafariViewController to get presented UNDER most of the view hierarchy. In my playing around, if I get the SFSafariViewController to actually present on top like it should, it's completely blank, having only a blank UINavigationBar at the top.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Crime on a Dime posted:

:shrek: Yes. Read the previous posts. Does the answer need to be simpler?

You’re quite toxic about it. Perhaps going outside every once in a while might help?

In the future, instead of giving vague snarky remark, you could just give a clear answer or just say the answer was a few posts up rather than “in the thread”.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zesty posted:

You’re quite toxic about it. Perhaps going outside every once in a while might help?

In the future, instead of giving vague snarky remark, you could just give a clear answer or just say the answer was a few posts up rather than “in the thread”.
If you get called out for having problems with reading comprehension it's okay to admit you were wrong. You don't need to behave like a petulant child.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Zesty posted:

Uninstall your app

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Zesty posted:

JazzFlight posted:

Just look back a couple posts on this page. I think the built-in Twitter support is broken, so we'll have to wait for the next Awful app update.

That is what poster JazzFlight did to answer your question

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

anthonypants posted:

If you get called out for having problems with reading comprehension it's okay to admit you were wrong. You don't need to behave like a petulant child.

“Hey instead of being a snarky jerk, you could have just answered the question. ”
“You’re a petulant child.”

:jerkbag:

There was no reading comprehension issues. I don’t have the thread bookmarked so I didn’t see the post. Relax, Friend.

Keith Atherton posted:

That is what poster JazzFlight did to answer your question

JazzFlight did answer my question and the issue was resolved there. Some people just decided to be goons over it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zesty posted:

Some people just decided to be goons over it.
Yes, you did.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

:allears:

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Well at least this dumb conversation solved this issue and all of us can move on. Thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

carry on then posted:

I see it pretty often myself on my iPhone 7, (usually latest) master branch. Near as I can tell, _something_ is causing SFSafariViewController to get presented UNDER most of the view hierarchy. In my playing around, if I get the SFSafariViewController to actually present on top like it should, it's completely blank, having only a blank UINavigationBar at the top.

I see the logic here. The status bar changing suggests some other view controller is being held responsible for managing it, could well be a Safari View Controller. I'll keep pondering.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
"Reading comprehension? I didn't even read the thread before posting, take that idiots"

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Make sure to install the iOS upgrade (once it’s released) that protects against Meltdown in future posting

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Grace Baiting posted:

Make sure to install the iOS upgrade (once it’s released) that protects against Meltdown in future posting
11.2.2 came out on the 8th. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208401

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Ah hell I was checking the 11.2.2 patch notes myself and they’re for Spectre, but I forgot that 11.2 (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208334) already protected against Meltdown. Apologies to all for my inaccurate attempted burn :(

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Feature / option request: please allow disable of auto TIMG

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m getting double bookmarks!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've had problems before (I couldn't log in). Then I went to Hong Kong and everything was fine. Now I'm back in china, and although I seem to be logged in I can't refresh the forums or see the content of any forum (just a blank page). On a desktop everything is fine, but ever since the DNS attacks a few months ago if you log in from china (even through a VPN) you have to complete a captcha. I think the problems I'm having have to do with the app not being able to use/see/load/display the captcha, if you see what I mean. Is there any way around this or hope for a fix?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

You might be firmly in the realm of using a browser for you forums experience for a while, tiger. If I can call you tiger.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
This app and this forum made me quit Reddit. 10/10

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
:2018:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

:toot: our long twitter nightmare is over! I can see images again!

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Hi, is there a status update on the twitter bug?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Nude posted:

Hi, is there a status update on the twitter bug?

v3.33, released 3 days ago on App Store posted:

• Images in tweets return triumphantly!

vvv  wish i could see an issue where you are posts didn't show 🤙

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 17, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

anyone seeing an issue where images in embedded tweets don't show?

:v:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Y'all I think images in tweets are broken, and as the only user of this app I thought you'd like to be made aware.

I'm gonna file this as a top priority and then I'll be back in the office Feb 29th to continue troubleshooting.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Grace Baiting posted:

v3.33, released 3 days ago on App Store posted:

• Images in tweets return triumphantly!

I had no idea. I really wish the App Store/Testflight handled situations like this where a build never goes through beta releases more smoothly.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/anthonypants/status/953738517372383232

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

:rolleyes: not all of us have this thread bookmarked. It was a simple question.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nude posted:

:rolleyes: not all of us have this thread bookmarked. It was a simple question.

Reading literally the last post is very hard, so this is a completely reasonable excuse.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

HEY GUYS, DID ANYONE EVER RESPOND TO NUDE’S QUESTION??

Edit: something I just ran into. I’m on iPhone 7 Plus. Is there an option to make Instagram links open in the instagram app? It always opens in the awful app browser, and closest I could find was to share on Facebook or open in chrome.

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 17, 2018

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

Reading literally the last post is very hard, so this is a completely reasonable excuse.

Relax. I didn't read one post big deal. Anyway Grace Baiting did answer my question and the issue was resolved there. But of course some of you had to be goons about it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Nude posted:

Relax. I didn't read one post big deal. Anyway Grace Baiting did answer my question and the issue was resolved there. But of course some of you had to be goons about it.
No one is able to tell if you will be able to understand this, but the twitter images bug was fixed in the latest version of the app, and you can download it from the app store.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

anthonypants posted:

No one is able to tell if you will be able to understand this, but the twitter images bug was fixed in the latest version of the app, and you can download it from the app store.

I was just messin around. Sorry if I annoyed you/anyone else. I had a good laugh at the twitter pic.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I need a status report on the twitter image bug fix by January 19 COB.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Images from Friendster are failing to load.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i can break the twitter images again if people are having fun with that

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Please just break twitter

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just wanted to stop by and say that I love this app and use it exclusively to browse the forums. I only open Safari to access mod powers.

Is there any chance that the app could ever integrate the mod stuff like editing threads, moving threads, and the punishment/reward menu? I’m guessing not but it can’t hurt to ask. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Just wanted to stop by and say that I love this app and use it exclusively to browse the forums. I only open Safari to access mod powers.

Is there any chance that the app could ever integrate the mod stuff like editing threads, moving threads, and the punishment/reward menu? I’m guessing not but it can’t hurt to ask. :)

I requested it, I think it's on The List