Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Open console, "getthefuck.overhere <base id>".

Whereupon he immediately tells you to go to Tenpines and protect them from the Legendary feral bloated glowing radroach swarm.

:chanpop: good idea, not sure how I missed that easy solution. Console still works in VR, although you can't read the words because lol resolution and they aren't in the VR view themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I had only played through the first DLC that was released, so I figured I'd give the game a shot again, but I'm running into a weird bug where low res textures are loading in and never disappearing. I have the high res texture pack installed and it looked great the first couple of nights I played, but now it's like the low quality textures are covering up the high res textures, even when I restart the game completely. Pretty much every "fix" I have come across involves editing an ENB config file and I'm not using anything like that. Here's my load order:

Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm
DLCCoast.esm
DLCworkshop02.esm
DLCworkshop03.esm
DLCNukaWorld.esm
DLCUltraHighResolution.esm
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp

On top of this, I have a mod installed in the game's directory to enable achievements because having the unofficial patch enabled disables achievements.

Is this a mipmapping issue? I just stared at a car for a while (when the high res textures load, the rust has pretty defined edges) and as I watched it scoot across the ground very slowly, the high res textures never loaded. I'm using a 6700k/16GB RAM/980ti at 2560x1440. Very small world objects like the sandbags seem to have their HQ textures, but the overwhelming majority of the textures look like I'm playing with a much lower LOD.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Are there any mods that enforce manual reloading (as opposed to auto-reloading when changing weapons or when the magazine is empty)? There was one called Manual Reload for NV, and I used it forever. The same author attempted to port it to FO4, but its initial release has a lot of issues and he hasn't looked at it in about six months. Just wondering if a different mod has that same functionality - there's so many "tweak" mods that it could be buried.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
You know, I fully realize the folly of trying to fix bugs probably introduced by a mod with a mod, but I had issues with recruitment beacons not attracting settlers to a few very special settlements, and, well...

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27979/

Spawn Settler Button. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

re: settler issues, did you make sure everyone has a job? Multiple unemployed people at a settlement will prevent further expansion.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

re: settler issues, did you make sure everyone has a job? Multiple unemployed people at a settlement will prevent further expansion.

How do companions fit into that? I had Bitchtits and Jun, the couple from the Concord quest, as my farmers - Sturges assigned to a Scavenging Station, and Preston and Mama Murphy were not assigned at all. Thing is, it recruited 3 people to Sanctuary with that setup, but once I assigned those 3 people elsewhere it stopped recruiting more. Does reassigning settlers disable recruiting somehow?

I changed up some stuff and I plan to start a new game, but this is my current Load Order. Wondering if anyone can spot anything in it that could cause problems down the line.

quote:

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm
DLCCoast.esm
DLCworkshop02.esm
DLCworkshop03.esm
DLCNukaWorld.esm
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
XDI.esm
TrueStormsFO4.esm
SettlementLimitSlashedFarHarbor.esp
LongerPowerLines3x.esp
Better Settlement Defence.esp
Marmo1233 - Immersive Settlers.esp
Keep Radiants In Commonwealth.esp
SurvivalOptions.esp
This is MY Bed (Extended).esp
Scrap Everything - Ultimate Edition.esp
CREAtiveClutter.esp
SettlementMenuManager.esp
My_Minutemen.esp
TrueStormsFO4-FarHarbor.esp
TrueStormsFO4-FarHarborExtraRads.esp
TrueStormsFO4-GlowingSeaExtraRads.esp
TrueStormsFO4-NukaWorld-FH-Compat.esp

If I start having problems recruiting I may end up just using that insta-settler mod, but I'd prefer to avoid that in the first place...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

atomicgeek posted:

You know, I fully realize the folly of trying to fix bugs probably introduced by a mod with a mod, but I had issues with recruitment beacons not attracting settlers to a few very special settlements, and, well...

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27979/

Spawn Settler Button. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

The Tales from the Commonwealth guys recently put out a mod that adds settlers, so now I can run around collecting them in addition to the other one whose name escapes me that puts named settlers around the world to find and recruit. Kind of too bad the way you get them all is just "come join my party town" instead of something more interesting but I now feel settlers attracted by a beacon are inherently inferior mopes.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Saint Sputnik posted:

The Tales from the Commonwealth guys recently put out a mod that adds settlers, so now I can run around collecting them in addition to the other one whose name escapes me that puts named settlers around the world to find and recruit. Kind of too bad the way you get them all is just "come join my party town" instead of something more interesting but I now feel settlers attracted by a beacon are inherently inferior mopes.

Unless they actually DO something interesting once they reach your town, like special vendors or some poo poo, then why does it matter?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Not sure if it's just a vanilla feature I never ran into before or if it's mod-added, but I'm running into randos that I can recruit to my settlements, usually if I can keep them from being eaten by monsters or barbarians.

In unrelated news a third Legendary Handmade Rifle dropped - Headhunter. (From that Legendary Overhaul mod that changes most of the gimmicks; increases liklihood of headshot instakills.) Oh dear *gently caress* is it OP - first combat with it, VATS'd up on some Raiders, headshots all, listed chances were 36%, 23%, 21%. Single shot per just to see what would hap-

<scanners.gif>

<scanners.gif>

<scanners.gif>

:aaaaa:

So far, at a distance in VATS, I'm now pink-misting domes at 70+% or so. :unsmigghh: I have a couple more weapons with the particular Legendary, think I'm going to strip it off one and stick it on my Five Milla Killa (fully-upgraded vanilla 10mm converted to 5mm, I'm assuming Weaponsmith Extended made it a 5.7mm FN equivilent).

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Sim settlements question: I'm letting cities build themselves, sanctuary just hit lvl1 and a bunch of generators appeared aaround the place, do I need to wire them up manually or will it work itself out?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pound_Coin posted:

Sim settlements question: I'm letting cities build themselves, sanctuary just hit lvl1 and a bunch of generators appeared aaround the place, do I need to wire them up manually or will it work itself out?

Generators are just for aesthetics, I think. The city plot itself provides power to everything it places, regardless of numbers. I'm not sure about running wires out of plot generators to power your own stuff - I think it might work for ambient power but not things with numbers?

I also think there's a bug where your companion gets a leadership work plot but it can't get powered so your power is constantly in the red.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

khy posted:

Unless they actually DO something interesting once they reach your town, like special vendors or some poo poo, then why does it matter?

They have unique VA and personalities beyond saying "oh hi howaryu" in a Boston accent, which is a plus for me. Recruitable Settlers is the one I couldn't think of; some of those have bonuses for your settlement, merchant services etc. I don't know about the 3DNPCs ones, it was just an immediate download because I like their other work.

Not sure if it's just a vanilla feature I never ran into before or if it's mod-added, but I'm running into randos that I can recruit to my settlements, usually if I can keep them from being eaten by monsters or barbarians.

Don't know which one that would be, but it makes more sense for the vanilla random encounters where, say, you save a guy from a pack of wild dogs for him to become a settler after that.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Sorry if this has been done to death, but how good is Pilgrim and are there any particular mods i should/shouldn't run with it?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Sorry if this has been done to death, but how good is Pilgrim and are there any particular mods i should/shouldn't run with it?

I personally found that it got really boring to look at pretty quickly, but others have been using it for hours and hours just fine. Music's good, too.

What you don't want to do is try to mix it with any weather mod, including things like Darker Nights. Any mod that alters ambient music will also conflict, but you can probably just put it after the Pilgrim .esp in your load order and itll overwrite if you prefer that music.

Oh and the optional Darkmeat file won't be compatible with any mods that edit Dogmeat. It seems you can't edit any part of a companion record without overwriting the whole thing, so even cosmetic mods need patches.

As for what to run with it, some kind of combat/loot overhaul mod is recommendable to keep the gameplay in line with the Pilgrim atmosphere. FROST is the maybe the most fitting, but it's a pretty extreme reworking that isn't for everyone and isn't even really Fallout 4. I'm a huge fan of Horizon as a one-stop mod for all your overhaul needs, but it's huge, sprawling and sometimes confusing so you may prefer putting together your own personalized experience with some combination of Survival Options, Better Locational Damage, Agony and similar mods.

e: and of course the Loot Overhaul, probably with patches.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 19, 2018

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Any of the Sim Settlements add-ons people here recommend? Making a nice looking town that runs itself to an extent is pretty nice.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

xanthan posted:

Any of the Sim Settlements add-ons people here recommend? Making a nice looking town that runs itself to an extent is pretty nice.

if you want it to be nice looking you definitely want the most recent one. just download what you need (you need all 3(?))

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

if you want it to be nice looking you definitely want the most recent one. just download what you need (you need all 3(?))

I meant besides the 2 expansions to it, sorry. Curious if any add in some neat stuff.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

xanthan posted:

I meant besides the 2 expansions to it, sorry. Curious if any add in some neat stuff.

oh for that you can download mods to make civilians wear any outfit randomly from whatever outfits you download. there's a lot of mods to give random people different/random stuff making it more like people finding stuff to wear than everyone wearing the same generic outfits but I am thr wrong person to ask about these since I came here to see if someone could help me get those running lol

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

xanthan posted:

I use these:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23421/ - Animal farms, so you can have more than just plants to feed your dudes. Some of the resulting products are kinda overpowered though, particularly if you're playing Horizon.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23125/ - Industrial plots that can fulfill power and defense needs. I particularly like the barracks chain; more faction dudes hanging around makes settlements feel a bit more alive.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Don't suppose there is any good mods that gently caress with the levelled list and loot system so it's kinda like Morrowind, where if you venture into the wrong place, you'll get your rear end royally handed to you, but there's the off chance you might get something high tier?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Falken posted:

Don't suppose there is any good mods that gently caress with the levelled list and loot system so it's kinda like Morrowind, where if you venture into the wrong place, you'll get your rear end royally handed to you, but there's the off chance you might get something high tier?

That's how the game already works.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

7c Nickel posted:

That's how the game already works.

Yeah, it's just handled in a way that doesn't really mesh with the game world. Certain spots that seem like they should be really dangerous are completely safe, while spots that seem like they should be really dangerous are actually mostly fine.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, it's just handled in a way that doesn't really mesh with the game world. Certain spots that seem like they should be really dangerous are completely safe, while spots that seem like they should be really dangerous are actually mostly fine.

I know what you meant, but the mental tic in the last sentence is interesting to me.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

horse mans posted:

I know what you meant, but the mental tic in the last sentence is interesting to me.

I'm so got danged mad about world design that I can't even think straight anymore.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

oh for that you can download mods to make civilians wear any outfit randomly from whatever outfits you download. there's a lot of mods to give random people different/random stuff making it more like people finding stuff to wear than everyone wearing the same generic outfits but I am thr wrong person to ask about these since I came here to see if someone could help me get those running lol

Sounds perfect, what's it called?

toasterwarrior posted:

I use these:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23421/ - Animal farms, so you can have more than just plants to feed your dudes. Some of the resulting products are kinda overpowered though, particularly if you're playing Horizon.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23125/ - Industrial plots that can fulfill power and defense needs. I particularly like the barracks chain; more faction dudes hanging around makes settlements feel a bit more alive.

Will look at these when I get home, thank you!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
better settler outfits or something to that effect. its usually amongst the custom outfit/body mod sections

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Is there a mod that shows the spawn points for settlement attacks so I know where to best position defenses?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Is there a mod that shows the spawn points for settlement attacks so I know where to best position defenses?

The best positioned defense is a mobile one that can go find the attackers, thus I recommend multiple Deathclaw cages to provide a free-roaming response swarm.

Oh, and a backup power source and Beta-wave emitter stuck someplace out of the way, maybe in a concrete box on a rooftop.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Saint Sputnik posted:

They have unique VA and personalities beyond saying "oh hi howaryu" in a Boston accent, which is a plus for me. Recruitable Settlers is the one I couldn't think of; some of those have bonuses for your settlement, merchant services etc. I don't know about the 3DNPCs ones, it was just an immediate download because I like their other work.

Recruitable settlers one sounds intriguing, I like the idea of getting unique settlers that come with minor bonuses. I'll check that out tonight after work. What's the name of the one you mentioned produced by the Tales from the Commonwealth guys?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

khy posted:

Recruitable settlers one sounds intriguing, I like the idea of getting unique settlers that come with minor bonuses. I'll check that out tonight after work. What's the name of the one you mentioned produced by the Tales from the Commonwealth guys?

Settlers of the Commonwealth, they put it on their website but not the Nexus for some reason
http://3dnpc.com/wiki/fallout-mods/fallout-4/settlers-of-the-commonwealth/

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

In unrelated news a third Legendary Handmade Rifle dropped - Headhunter. (From that Legendary Overhaul mod that changes most of the gimmicks; increases liklihood of headshot instakills.) Oh dear *gently caress* is it OP - first combat with it, VATS'd up on some Raiders, headshots all, listed chances were 36%, 23%, 21%. Single shot per just to see what would hap-

Yeah dude, I love these guns. It kinda feels cheaty but who cares. My most recent run I got it on a Radium Rifle and was sniping everyone from everywhere and never got under 1000 .45 rounds.

Even Mirelurk Queens are no match for the headhunter.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
anyone ever throw together a big massive mod pack for this game?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
People don't make modpacks for Bethesda games for some reason. Its mostly out of respect for individual modders but you'd think one douchebag would go against the grain and make one anyway

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

People don't make modpacks for Bethesda games for some reason. Its mostly out of respect for individual modders but you'd think one douchebag would go against the grain and make one anyway

i remember some awesome goon did one for oblivion that was absolutely huge, but yeah its always disappointing I managed to find a big one for oblivion at least

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There was actually a lot of drama about this, there is a website called mod drop, or something similar, that has some Bethesda game super packs up. I unironically suggest staying away from that stuff, as a big part of the reason that mod packs are uncommon is because getting one reliably working is almost impossible. I spent three days trying to install FCOM before I could get it playable, and about 30 hours later I realized that I had still hosed up. That was the last big Bethesda mod pack until these new ones, and I'm not super excited to see if they're any better.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
stuff like 'respecting' modders bullshit always makes me mad though. Like does every modder get permission from the bethesda devs and put thanks bethesda's so and so coder every time they make a mod? but oh no you put some lovely model in a pack and some person flips his poo poo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Doorknob Slobber posted:

stuff like 'respecting' modders bullshit always makes me mad though. Like does every modder get permission from the bethesda devs and put thanks bethesda's so and so coder every time they make a mod? but oh no you put some lovely model in a pack and some person flips his poo poo

The difference is that the coder at Bethesda gets paid to make video game thing and the dude making the next installment of Skyrim horse cock mods bought Skyrim. The guy grabbing the horse cocks for his MLP futa pack may have bought Skyrim, but he didn't buy the mod.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Solved my synth problem.

The answer was to make micro sledge and pound them to dust in VATS. Apparently they aren't that great vs 10% armor piercing maces with electric damage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Melee in general is quite effective in horizon especially if you get one of the very big weapons like the big axe or the thermic lance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Terrorforge posted:

I personally found that it got really boring to look at pretty quickly, but others have been using it for hours and hours just fine. Music's good, too.

What you don't want to do is try to mix it with any weather mod, including things like Darker Nights. Any mod that alters ambient music will also conflict, but you can probably just put it after the Pilgrim .esp in your load order and itll overwrite if you prefer that music.

Oh and the optional Darkmeat file won't be compatible with any mods that edit Dogmeat. It seems you can't edit any part of a companion record without overwriting the whole thing, so even cosmetic mods need patches.

As for what to run with it, some kind of combat/loot overhaul mod is recommendable to keep the gameplay in line with the Pilgrim atmosphere. FROST is the maybe the most fitting, but it's a pretty extreme reworking that isn't for everyone and isn't even really Fallout 4. I'm a huge fan of Horizon as a one-stop mod for all your overhaul needs, but it's huge, sprawling and sometimes confusing so you may prefer putting together your own personalized experience with some combination of Survival Options, Better Locational Damage, Agony and similar mods.

e: and of course the Loot Overhaul, probably with patches.

Hey thanks for this dude, Horizon was new to me as well so I'll slap that on and see how I go.