Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

This made me laugh so much at the robot bin presenting its garbo like a happy dog with a dead rat or a child with a lovely painting.

Perhaps someone can explain, what's the point of motion-activated toilet flushes if the locks on the stall door are still manual? You don't get any hygiene benefit, so is it marketing? Are they easier to maintain or harder to break? Also whoever thought putting fully motion sensitive controls in my gym's shower can gently caress right off.

It's better than the disgusting people I work with the flush with their foot so everything from the bathroom floor is now on the handle too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

The Hyatt Regency collapse happened because, as stated, the design changed slightly. The cross beam was only meant to hold the weight of one walk way, but held two. The load for both was supposed to be bared (borne?) on the threaded rods.

Yeah :smug: I saw that episode of Engineering disasters.

There's more to it than this. Why did the design change? Per the video, during construction it was noted that since the entire length of the suspension rods would have to be threaded, it would be very difficult to avoid damaging the threaded rod. This speaks to a common problem in engineering: a design which ignores or does not fully understand the difficulty of construction. The engineer in this case did not understand that it would be very difficult to build the project as designed due to the risk of damaging a thread somewhere along the length, at which point the entire damaged rod would have to be replaced.

Absolutely the proximate cause was making a change in the design without having an engineer approve; but the ultimate cause was a design that could not be affordably or reasonably constructed in the first place.

Another potential issue is when people on a job site suspect something isn't safe, but do not feel they have the ability to object, due to financial or legal pressures to complete the job, or social factors such as assuming someone higher up in the chain is responsible. My dad and my brother are both in construction (pipe fitters, specifically) and they can both give numerous examples of instances where, despite extensive and comprehensive training, people on the job site willfully create an unsafe condition due to social factors.

For example, as an apprentice, my brother has to do what any journeyman tells him to do: when he had two journeymen telling him conflicting things (one says "we're installing a pad here before we put the tank on it" while the other says "we're not installing a pad, it's not necessary here"), it was difficult to deal with: going over either of them to get the foreman to respond is a surefire way to become extremely unpopular on the job, and if the journeymen you work with hate you, your life will be miserable. And yet these two idiots are refusing to even talk to each other, presumably because the one telling my brother "we're not installing a pad" is unwilling to face the likely situation that some other guy is right and he is wrong.

And that also assumes that the foreman will responsibly deal with the situation: not a given, either. A possible outcome is the foreman tells the apprentice what is supposed to be done, and now the apprentice has to tell a journeyman he's wrong, and that is... not great for the apprentice going forward. Another possible outcome is the foreman calls both journeymen on the carpet for a good cussing out, and that's even worse for the apprentice who "got them in trouble."

My brother is fortunate that his dad, despite being retired, is still active in the union and generally has a good reputation: he's been able to identify who is a good person to talk to vs. who is a lovely person to avoid, and if it's necessary, he could make a few calls and put pressure on someone higher up to deal with a situation if it's deteriorated to the point where it's impossible to work without working unsafely. Nevertheless he's naturally reluctant to get his father involved for routine workplace disputes (and that's probably wise). Meanwhile, there is a safety issue here: is the pad under the tank needed? If it is, and doesn't get installed, then who knows if the engineering is correct... maybe a tank full of toxic poo poo collapses or ruptures, or maybe a leg sinks into the tarmac and it tips over and crushes someone. On the other hand, if it's not needed (maybe one journeyman is just assuming you "always put down a pad" because that's how he's always done it), then they could be wasting a bunch of money, materials, time, etc. And that'll get your balls busted pretty quick, too.

It's this sort of jobsite political bullshit that is endemic in the construction industry and which designers, architects, engineers and, especially, project managers need to account for. Tradespeople often learn "the right way to do things" by rote rather than book learning, and may decide what they know to be "the right way" overrules what is in a project plan document for reasons they do not fully understand. This means for example an engineer doing something unusual probably needs to call that out and make sure it's communicated all the way down to the tradespeople on the job that "we're doing something unusual and different from what you expect, and for good reason, so do it exactly as specified, no shut the gently caress up this is for realsies do it as specified." Or, perhaps, re-design to avoid requiring a weird or unusual or unexpected approach if there is a conventional approach that can be used instead, even if the conventional approach is moderately more expensive.

Basically, tl:dr; engineers have to account for human nature. It's not enough to create a sound design, you need to make it "idiot-proof."

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 15, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

Perhaps someone can explain, what's the point of motion-activated toilet flushes if the locks on the stall door are still manual? You don't get any hygiene benefit, so is it marketing? Are they easier to maintain or harder to break? Also whoever thought putting fully motion sensitive controls in my gym's shower can gently caress right off.

Motion-activated flushing greatly increases the likelihood that the toilet will be flushed at all. People are animals and don't give a poo poo if you have to see their poo poo; technology maintains a thin veneer of civilization that wouldn't otherwise exist.

In other crappy construction news, I'd like to nominate flat-head and Phillips-head screws. I spent 15 minutes swearing at a couple of mounting brackets I was trying to install for a window shade, because the provided flat-head screws just would not install properly. There wasn't enough room (in the inside corner of the window frame) to angle a drill bit for a proper tap, the screws weren't self-tapping, and of course any driver bit would just slip out of the screw at the slightest provocation. Finally I gave up, grabbed some of my own self-tapping star-drive screws, and drove each one home in about five seconds apiece.

I can't imagine that providing actually usable fasteners would have increased the cost of this $300 window shade by more than $.50. Maybe a buck if they had to include the driver bit as well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
In this day and age I'm amazed that anyone even uses flathead screws

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Iron Crowned posted:

Slotted is handy for flush mount stuff. You can use more torque than Phillips. Plus, you won't cam out all the time.

I wish everything was Allen. Torx is great for framing, but Allen always answers.

Robertson can DIAF. You can burn a bit every 3 screws with Roberson. Never happens with Torx or Allen.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's gotta run out of soap eventually.

My office has no warm water in the bathrooms. It sucks.

Likewise, except about once a month when the toilets/urinals fill with hot water. I have no idea why it happens. (The building is only 35 years old but already in lovely condition.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Selachian posted:

Likewise, except about once a month when the toilets/urinals fill with hot water. I have no idea why it happens. (The building is only 35 years old but already in lovely condition.)

The mop sink has three valves: hot, cold, and one after they come together.

The janitor closed the final valve but left the other two open, allowing hot water to flow into the cold pipes.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm more amazed that anyone uses the lovely fasteners that come with kits if they don't have to. I normally bin them and use my own, especially rawl plugs.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lime Tonics posted:

Not a failure, until the paint breaks,

HAHAHA, I remember having one of these in an apartment bathroom years ago, a pinhole leak in a cold water copper pipe caused the bulge. Quite the thing to come home to, as I recall. Maintenance came over and dealt with it successfully.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Flathead is really common in electrical for terminal blocks and stuff. I suppose for the torque reason somebody mentioned above. The philips head is also actually designed to prevent over torquing by hand tools so that they can always be removed.

The only place it still makes a lot of sense to me is stuff like outlet covers - a flathead turned vertical is much less noticeable to the eye than any other. Of course there’s screweless covers now too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

The philips head is also actually designed to prevent over torquing by hand tools so that they can always be removed.

It's easy to not overtorque with hand tools. Philips was designed when good torque limiting on air drivers wasn't really a thing yet and they didn't want factory workers stripping out thousands of screws. We've got that problem solved, but we're still stuck with awful loving Philips heads.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
*waves hands around* it was some simple old times problem along those lines.

Fucccckk spanner tip too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Earthquake proof!

Oh how I hope I don't live down the hill in a couple years when the dry rot kicks in.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

wesleywillis posted:

How uncultured.

Personally, I learned about it from Why Buildings Fall Down.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 16, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

~Coxy posted:

How uncultured.

Personally, I learned about it from Why Buildings Fall Down.

I have that book too, it's good.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

The Hyatt Regency collapse happened because, as stated, the design changed slightly. The cross beam was only meant to hold the weight of one walk way, but held two. The load for both was supposed to be bared (borne?) on the threaded rods.

Weird, me and a friend were talking about that incident a few days ago, independent of the recent failure.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kid sinister posted:

Earthquake proof!

Oh how I hope I don't live down the hill in a couple years when the dry rot kicks in.

As fun as bouncyhouse looks they're probably packed with earth making them dense as hell. Still wouldn't.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If they were filled with poured concrete and they just used the tire stacks as forms maybe it's ok?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Wolfsbane posted:

I'm more amazed that anyone uses the lovely fasteners that come with kits if they don't have to. I normally bin them and use my own, especially rawl plugs.

So much supplied hardware is made from lovely white metal I tend to agree with you. They either strip out and you can't use your bit on them anymore or else the whole head shears off. Save yourself the aggravation, buy good hardware.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The problem with using your own fasteners is having the right fasteners in stock. In this case, I have gobs of standard star-drive wood screws, but the particular screws that came with the kit had sheet metal heads (because their job was to hold a bracket down to the window frame). So when I used my own fasteners, it wasn't a perfect fit to the job.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to maintain a full stock of every possible fastener they might need for some new kit, and making a trip to the hardware store to find the right kind a) is a lot of spent time and money, and b) won't get you fasteners with a sane head because the hardware stores are 98% Phillips/flat-head screws too, with the remaining 2% being star/square-drive deck screws.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Look, if your garage isn't a mcmaster-carr satellite warehouse, then I don't even know what to tell you, man.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The problem with using your own fasteners is having the right fasteners in stock. In this case, I have gobs of standard star-drive wood screws, but the particular screws that came with the kit had sheet metal heads (because their job was to hold a bracket down to the window frame). So when I used my own fasteners, it wasn't a perfect fit to the job.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to maintain a full stock of every possible fastener they might need for some new kit, and making a trip to the hardware store to find the right kind a) is a lot of spent time and money, and b) won't get you fasteners with a sane head because the hardware stores are 98% Phillips/flat-head screws too, with the remaining 2% being star/square-drive deck screws.

Or when you buy a new thing, buy your own appropriate hardware. Should you have to? No. Should you do it anyway? Yes.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I sincerely hope that's just a temporary fix due to a mudslide or excavation or something. You can see on the wall where the dirt level used to be much higher.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I sincerely hope that's just a temporary fix due to a mudslide or excavation or something. You can see on the wall where the dirt level used to be much higher.

Yeah. It looks like they may be planning to build out a retaining wall or something, given the spray paint markings.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Eh, it's only a York, not like anything of value will be lost when it collapses.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bad Munki posted:

Look, if your garage isn't a mcmaster-carr satellite warehouse, then I don't even know what to tell you, man.

After nearly 30-years, mine is...but drat if I can find what I need, when I need it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

My former collection of screws, bolts, nuts, nails, etc. Had to sell them when I moved last year because gently caress ever moving those things a second time. It was the absolute definition of overkill, but having exactly what I needed no matter the project was pretty satisfying.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Now that's what I call autism!

*sour grapes

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

NJPW vs Old House
https://youtu.be/Uz3QLr29dUY

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Slugworth posted:

My former collection of screws, bolts, nuts, nails, etc. Had to sell them when I moved last year because gently caress ever moving those things a second time. It was the absolute definition of overkill, but having exactly what I needed no matter the project was pretty satisfying.

I jealous.

Also: is that a lifetime of collecting hardware or did you go to a store one day and say 'here is a sack of dollar bills'?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PainterofCrap posted:

After nearly 30-years, mine is...but drat if I can find what I need, when I need it.

Reminds me of working on my car in my parent's driveway. I drop a nut or bolt in to the far dark recesses of my engine bay. "Oh poo poo, what the gently caress do I do? That nut/bolt/screw holds together my entire engine, without it, my car will spontaneously combust".

Looks in the random old sour cream/yogurt/cottage cheese containers, and comes up with, screw/nut/bolt thats got the wrong size/drive head, is too long and comes from god knows where while being rusty as hell. But with some washers, its now the right length and holds that bitch together for the next five years until the car get junked. The entire time I'm thinking, "I should probably replace that poo poo with the proper one".

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

spog posted:

I jealous.

Also: is that a lifetime of collecting hardware or did you go to a store one day and say 'here is a sack of dollar bills'?
Some other poor sap did the collecting, and then was foolish enough to die. Acquired at an estate sale for cheap.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgdh4We8lLQ

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Slugworth posted:

Some other poor sap did the collecting, and then was foolish enough to die. Acquired at an estate sale for cheap.

That's how I got mine, but the estate sale was my grandpa's :yaycloud:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That's how I got mine, but the estate sale was my grandpa's :yaycloud:

My grandpa went senile and sold his entire workshop to some random dude for like $50 :(

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've inherited my dad's collection, which included his dad's, and grandfathers. They all horded fasteners of all kinds, apparently my grandfather once dismantled a piano and kept every screw, so may flatheads.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This is the bolt of my father, and my father's father, and his father before.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

yaffle posted:

I've inherited my dad's collection, which included his dad's, and grandfathers. They all horded fasteners of all kinds, apparently my grandfather once dismantled a piano and kept every screw, so may flatheads.

Hi, are we somehow related...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Why is it hard to move? They're on wheels :v: