Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Brownells messed up and instead of sending me 1k 9mm rounds, sent a stock for a 10/22. GG Brownells!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The Rat posted:

Reloading makes sense to me if you're trying to save money on ammo in the long run, or if you're going for performance/accuracy gains.

You have to ask yourself, how much are you really gonna shoot a .303 British rifle?

Working up a spreadsheet of the reloading equipment cost + reloaded rounds cost compared to the cost of just buying loaded .303 would be where I'd start.

There's also the time spent reloading to factor in too. I shoot a decent amount, but I don't reload because I don't want to make the time/knowledge investment right now.

Quick and dirty math revealed that I would actually start saving after reloading 300 rounds with a big spike after 400. If i decide to go shooting 60 rounds at the range that would be about 5 to 7 range visits.

so on the loooooong rear end run its worth it.

Deathy McDeath posted:

Brownells messed up and instead of sending me 1k 9mm rounds, sent a stock for a 10/22. GG Brownells!

hello i have a 10/22 takedown please gimme that stock that you obviously dont need.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Deathy McDeath posted:

Twice now I've atrempted to order NY1 springs for a pistol, and I've been sent ar dust cover springs in a Glock marked parts bag.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The Rat posted:

Working up a spreadsheet of the reloading equipment cost + reloaded rounds cost compared to the cost of just buying loaded .303 would be where I'd start.

TL;DR: I start saving money at 200 vs Federal ammunition, and at 400 for Sellier & Bellot bullets.
I will report to the nearest locker so that the jocks can lock me inside.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

TL;DR: I start saving money at 200 vs Federal ammunition, and at 400 for Sellier & Bellot bullets.
I will report to the nearest locker so that the jocks can lock me inside.

I think for a couple bucks more they sell a press that clamps onto a workbench and has a pretty long lever on it so you could basically press reloads all day without winding up wanting to cut your hand off.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

orange juche posted:

I think for a couple bucks more they sell a press that clamps onto a workbench and has a pretty long lever on it so you could basically press reloads all day without winding up wanting to cut your hand off.

I would get one of those but imma be moving soon and i'll be probably be living on a apartment. so its the best thing for me really.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

I would get one of those but imma be moving soon and i'll be probably be living on a apartment. so its the best thing for me really.

Good thing is the dies for all Lee presses are universal, so if you ever get a new press you don't have to buy a new die for your press if you've already got one.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Reloading is satisfying and relaxing. You can get one of the simplest kits and just load a few rounds at a time. Embrace the slowness.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Rube Goldberg invents a rifle conversion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7d5dN1A1o

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

Rube Goldberg invents a rifle conversion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7d5dN1A1o

:psyduck:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

oh my god im imagining a private trying to clean his rifle

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Keep in mind that once you have a press and other assorted equipment, branching out into additional calibers is pretty inexpensive, so depending on how much you shoot of what caliber it can get pretty attractive.

I'd love to get into reloading, but living in the barracks isn't very conducive to that.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, I had a progressive type setup. For a new calibre you'd buy your dies, get the set up in the turret plate as you wanted you bullet seating depth and all that poo poo. Then you could just take the turret plate and swap it out and bam, new calibre all ready to go.

Literally took less than a minute to change calibers.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

:smugdon:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shoots blanks?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The irony would be lost on the gunsmith.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

If only PCOS Bill were still alive to see this. :angel:

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
For full Trump verisimilitude, it needs to not run worth a poo poo, and you need to under/not pay the smith that made it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lubricate with diet coke, polish with a greasy McDonald's wrapper, and feed it the cheapest poo poo ammo walmart sells, bought with a cash advance from a credit card.

Apparently the gunsmith is Jesse James. Running like poo poo is a built-in feature.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 20, 2018

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Me, a person with a government job who’s good at financial management: “well, I’m staring down a potential Gov shutdown. What’s the best course of action here?

Buy a suppressor!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

why yes let's wait even longer than usual for a stamp

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

Me, a person with a government job who’s good at financial management: “well, I’m staring down a potential Gov shutdown. What’s the best course of action here?

Buy a suppressor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
i kind of want to buy a suppressed sbr 9mm ar15 carbine. im not deadset on a pistol caliber ar15 but i'd have to travel a lot further for it to make sense to shoot 5.56.

pretty much this minus the weird upper/lower receivers.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

300BLK can scratch that suppressed subsonic SBR itch without getting into goofy-looking receivers and specialty parts. Supersonic rounds also do well from short barrels.

My pistol. I'm going SBR a receiver soon, now that I finally have a better-paying job.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mad Dragon posted:

300BLK can scratch that suppressed subsonic SBR itch without getting into goofy-looking receivers and specialty parts. Supersonic rounds also do well from short barrels.

My pistol. I'm going SBR a receiver soon, now that I finally have a better-paying job.

son we need to talk about that ugly loving thing at the end of your barrel

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's a suppressor mount. I want a CZ Scorpion pretty bad to scratch my 9mm carbine itch, although I can shoot 5.56 at my local indoor range if I want to blast away with my AR15.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

anyone have a suggestion on how to carry a pistol while hiking? I have a sig 226 for reference. Initial thoughts are a fanny pack in normal colors (IE not black/multicam with molle straps)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I use a hill people gear chest bag for mine. That way it doesn't interfere with the waist strap on my pack.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Drop leg?

I have one for my revolver. Black with six little extra bullet loops. Good old cheap nylon.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Drop legs are a good way to put more stress on one hip than the other.

Probably not a huge issue for most people, but some of us are unlucky.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh, I gather that. Ah, disc and nerve damage. Luckily, my bad leg is the right leg. Also, I'm left-handed, so the holster rides on the left anyhow.

How about attaching a holster to your pack strap?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

That's kind of what the chest bag is like. I also keep a GPS, compass, map and Clif bars in it too. That way I don't have to take my pack off every so often to munch down some fuel.

e: here's a pic to give you an idea

The Rat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 24, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The Rat posted:

That's kind of what the chest bag is like. I also keep a GPS, compass, map and Clif bars in it too. That way I don't have to take my pack off every so often to munch down some fuel.

e: here's a pic to give you an idea

Nice helmet.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can see how that'd help with weight displacement too.

I remember the late 80s, early 90s all too well. Fanny packs are simply not an option. Unless you're german.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't really go hiking, but on my sole independent trail walk (I believe it was about 4 miles through the Seminole State Forest in the summer) I wore an SADF Pattern 83 chest rig with a broken down MRE, a map, and some tools and medical stuff. I used two surplus US canteens (a 1 quart on my hip and a 2 quart on a strap) for water. It ended up being way more than enough for 4 miles.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, that's a bit overkill for an afternoon in Florida, but to each the load they want to carry.

It's been a while since I've done any appreciable hiking, but I still have an acu alice pack. It's as ugly as a baboons' rear end but I still love it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I can see how that'd help with weight displacement too.

I remember the late 80s, early 90s all too well. Fanny packs are simply not an option. Unless you're german.

Actually, I'll have you know that

Welp. Nevermind.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

drop leg holsters suck

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

that thing looks kinda big, how does it interact with a main pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It doesn't, the straps are flat and have QD buckles. I put the chest rig on, then the pack, and they don't interfere with each other.