Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Joby Harold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Timby posted:

Supposedly Lord and Miller were circling this immediately after they got sacked from Han Solo.

Instead they got the Vacation guys.

Wasn't it reported that WB was looking to use Flashpoint to get Affleck out of the Batman role and replace him?

Lord & Miller managed to get Artemis set up at Fox very quickly, so they ended up taking themselves out of the running anyway.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Vacation guys were another "hey, maybe you can use..." suggestion from them, though. Them convincing WB to go along with Seth Grahame-Smith on Lego Batman is what led to that now-discarded draft of Flash to be written and was the beginning of the musical chairs of director on this thing, so...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They did just write a Spider-Man movie where Iron Man is a bad guy so I look forward to how their Flash movie might turn out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Could do without the moulded boobplate, but at least Wasp is getting a proper suit instead of that sleeveless abomination from the stinger.

https://twitter.com/GeeksOfColor/status/953336966161956864

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

... does the Wasp always have a giant arrow pointing at her crotch?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was gonna say that it should be yellowish and then I realized if it was then it would be a penis.

I'm actually fine with it. But I wish there was some yellow/gold in there somewhere.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that's a penis.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I now genuinely believe that the chest and shoulder parts were originally yellow/gold and then they looked at the finished product and said "oh, poo poo" and just changed the color so they could go with plausible deniability.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I hate these subdued costume designs with my life. The only design that I really think of fondly is Batman's ridiculous glowy-eyed Sith-voiced power armor, everything else is on a scale from inoffensive and adequate to outright maddening in terms of not taking any risks

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

I hate these subdued costume designs with my life. The only design that I really think of fondly is Batman's ridiculous glowy-eyed Sith-voiced power armor, everything else is on a scale from inoffensive and adequate to outright maddening in terms of not taking any risks

All of the CW poo poo looks exactly like that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What do you think of the Black Lightning light-up suit?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

They have the excuse of being TV shows. Rather than mega-budget movies that look like TV shows.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

It's especially maddening in that case because an infinite supply of amazing gaudy looks are right there next door on Dark Archie

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The goal in a lot of cases is high quality cosplay, essentially. Better than X-Men (2000) I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

The goal in a lot of cases is high quality cosplay, essentially. Better than X-Men (2000) I guess.

X-Men (2000) is still streets ahead, as the kids say.

LesterGroans posted:

What do you think of the Black Lightning light-up suit?

It's OK, I guess but it just looks like poo poo Phoenix Jones would wear.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

lmao

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Thank you for getting me to Google Phoenix Jones.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Captain Boomerang, who is otherwise dressed like a homeless person, HAS A CHARACTER DESIGN. Wearing the underwear from Halo is not a character design.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Suicide Squad's character design is top-notch, and Captain Boomerang is one of my favourite examples of it.

Killer Croc, who is practically naked for a chunk of the movie, still has an evocative costume.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's Mass Effect all the way down.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Just so I'm not pointing to SS every time comic book clothes come up, more excellent character designs include: Batista's character in BR2049 but NOT Drax (a character so lazily designed it should make you laugh), Benicio del Toro's character in Sicario (a character design so strong it got it's own spinoff), Koba from the Apes series, the succubus from VHS, Mad Dog/Sad Dog from Raid 1/2, Saw Guerra, etc. Even if you don't remember the character's name, the visual motif should be strong enough to make them distinguishable from other, similar characters, which is usually the point of costuming!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just so I'm not pointing to SS every time comic book clothes come up, more excellent character designs include: Batista's character in BR2049 but NOT Drax (a character so lazily designed it should make you laugh), Benicio del Toro's character in Sicario (a character design so strong it got it's own spinoff), Koba from the Apes series, the succubus from VHS, Mad Dog/Sad Dog from Raid 1/2, Saw Guerra, etc. Even if you don't remember the character's name, the visual motif should be strong enough to make them distinguishable from other, similar characters, which is usually the point of costuming!

Raul Julia's outfits in Street Fighter are great.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It used to irk me somewhat that the last movie that Raul Julia made was Street Fighter because I thought that someone as talented as him deserved to be remembered by something better.

But after watching it again a few years back, I think its brilliant. He's clearly having an incredibly fun time playing that character and gets a few amazing lines in it too.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Benicio del Toro's character in Sicario (a character design so strong it got it's own spinoff)

Josh Brolin's character in Sicario as well. Dude has such a strong presence just from his dress sense and posture that I spent his entire introductory scene marveling at his goofy flip flops and thinking "wanna know what this rear end in a top hat's all about" while simultaneously knowing exactly what he was about. On the same wavelength as that character? Long-hair off-white blazer Lex in Batman v Superman

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bison is a great example because while Raul isn't the physical type of the video game character (for contrast, he simply *is* Gomez Addams who is basically a very handsome Peter Lorre), he adds something with his sallow, vampiric take on the character.

Put Brandon Routh as the Atom next to Ant Man and all you'll see is two white guys with brown hair that get their outfits at the same store. It's so bad and honestly looks like they don't give a poo poo, it's like they design the characters so that they only need one male body and one female body for the action figure molds.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Of the MCU, I like both the partial-overalls Whiplash and dinky emergency armor in the racetrack scene of Iron Man 2, all of the Captain America outfits in First Avenger, Red Skull's face, but, yeah, there's a lot of dull stuff. So many tactical bodysuits.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gorn Myson posted:

It used to irk me somewhat that the last movie that Raul Julia made was Street Fighter because I thought that someone as talented as him deserved to be remembered by something better.

But after watching it again a few years back, I think its brilliant. He's clearly having an incredibly fun time playing that character and gets a few amazing lines in it too.

He MADE that movie, imo. Like, he took it, and elevated it into something people actually remember as entertaining. In a way it works because even if its not exactly a great dramatic tour de force or something he stands out in it and speaks to his talent to entertain. Every time people post or talk about the movie, it feels like he's what they remember or quote out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZ5I8l32CI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzl3uvkkmmo

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 18, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whiplash and Red Skull kick rear end and I love what they did with Armin Zola and Batroc the Leaper, they had a lot of fun with Captain America's frankly awful villains. There hasn't been a standout between the Red Skull and Hela, though, which is amazing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

He MADE that movie, imo. Like, he took it, and elevated it into something people actually remember as entertaining. In a way it works because even if its not exactly a great dramatic tour de force or something he stands out in it and speaks to his talent to entertain. Every time people post or talk about the movie, it feels like he's what they remember or quote out of it.

He was literally dying during filming and still did the movie because his son begged him to. Dude gave everything he had in that (and he looks awful in some parts).

Edit: And even though everyone could tell, even from the first day he showed up, that he was incredibly sick, he never talked about it, never showed up late, never asked for pity. He never told a soul on the set that he could drop dead any day.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If TV costumes count then Daredevil's first one is one of the best in the MCU.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

:same:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The blindfold one? Absolutely.

Timby posted:

Raul Julia's outfits in Street Fighter are great.

The loving Gacy painting in this makes it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gatts posted:

There's definitely other stuff that's memorable, like E Honda and Zangeif having a kaiju battle in a model city, or Guile's insane speech where he convinces a bunch of UN troops to go rogue, or the Yoga Blanka brainwashing scene, or Kylie Minogues legs, but most of the memorable moments are definitely Bison.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did Daredevil's Gladiator-made armour even make a difference? I don't recall. Like the ostensible reason for him to use that instead of the Do Rag Ninja getup was because of the protection it afforded.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yoga Blanka brainwashing scene, or Kylie Minogues legs

Blanka being turned into a monster by being shown the 20th century's greatest atrocities traumatized me as a kid, and I always forget that prime Kylie Minogue, looking the best she's ever looked, is just in that movie with nothing to do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lobok posted:

Did Daredevil's Gladiator-made armour even make a difference? I don't recall. Like the ostensible reason for him to use that instead of the Do Rag Ninja getup was because of the protection it afforded.

Yes, there's a few scenes in season two where if you pay attention knives deflect off the armor or don't penetrate.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There's definitely other stuff that's memorable, like E Honda and Zangeif having a kaiju battle in a model city, or Guile's insane speech where he convinces a bunch of UN troops to go rogue, or the Yoga Blanka brainwashing scene, or Kylie Minogues legs, but most of the memorable moments are definitely Bison.

Street Fighter is a wonderful movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cythereal posted:

Yes, there's a few scenes in season two where if you pay attention knives deflect off the armor or don't penetrate.

Oh ok, good. I'm glad it's just my mental deficiencies and not a problem with the show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I always forget that prime Kylie Minogue, looking the best she's ever looked, is just in that movie with nothing to do.

She's so hilariously miscast as Guile's aide-de-camp but some of the bizarre casting is part of that movie's charm. Like, you've got loving Magua as a retired cage fighter turned arms dealer, Mulan as a reporter / ninja hellbent on revenge, Chip Shreck as a Russian lunkhead ... it's great.

Hell of a score by Graeme Revell, too, I found it at Half-Price Books a while back for like three bucks.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I had the Mortal Kombat score and the Street Fighter soundtrack, MK score bumped but SF soundtrack was amazing, a bunch of original songs by Nas, Ras Kass, Pharcyde, it was pretty crazy.