Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tackling your partner and sending them spinning across the level will never not be the most hilarious way to irritate your friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Cornflakes posted:

Just played through Super Mario Kart last weekend and I forgot how brutally punishing the AI is in that game. Beating special on 150cc is hard when Mario and Luigi can go invincible at will.

Anyone know a good source for decent SNES controllers? I’m ok with aftermarket. I’ve heard getting Super Famicom controllers off ebay is usually affordable and a solid bet, any experience with this?

I actually got some legit SNES controllers off gamestop for $5 apiece, and they are legit despite being marketed as off-brand. Could be luck, but reviews seemed to indicate many people had similar experiences.

EDIT: up to $15, looks like:

https://www.gamestop.com/accessories/super-nintendo-controller/122904

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Rirse posted:

Since my PS2 Slim that I was using for playing backup PS1 games is toasted (laser died), should I wait for the PSIO or just get a PSP GO as they suppose to be really good for playing PS1 games on a tv. The later at least means I don't have to wait a long time to play games on and also don't have to sent off my PS1 to get modded to use the PSIO.

If you've got a PS3 around, you can also jailbreak it and run PS1 games off the hard drive or USB. I don't know if it'll work with backup discs, haven't tried it myself.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I just use a pair of 8bitdo receivers and an SFC30 and Wii U Pro controller.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TVs Ian posted:

If you've got a PS3 around, you can also jailbreak it and run PS1 games off the hard drive or USB. I don't know if it'll work with backup discs, haven't tried it myself.

No PS3 at all since I gave my dad the old one. Plus it being in 480p instead of 240p hurts the games compared to the PSP Go or PS1. Honestly the Go probably better as I can’t solder so no going with just missing a extra PS1 (I would had someone do that for the PSIO).

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I actually got some legit SNES controllers off gamestop for $5 apiece, and they are legit despite being marketed as off-brand. Could be luck, but reviews seemed to indicate many people had similar experiences.

EDIT: up to $15, looks like:

https://www.gamestop.com/accessories/super-nintendo-controller/122904

Nice, thanks. I'll grab one, worth a try for $15.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

financially racist posted:

pocky and rocky is roughly the same (absurd) price for either version, which sucks cause that game kicks rear end

also kirby's dream land 3 is dirt cheap for a japanese cart.

I guess I lucked out getting a Japanese Pocky and Rocky last year for 60-70. Granted its missing the back warning label and the front label is a bit faded, but it's a legit copy and it works.

Actually earlier this month there was a couple of Super Aleste carts on eBay from known sellers going at that same 60-70 range instead of the more common 100 dollars. I got one, and while it's a good game I still like the charm of Gun-Nac more.

edit: I just browsed around and there's super cheap copies of Area 88 available on sfc (also known as UN Squadron).

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 17, 2018

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Sorry, I did not mean to be a bother. I will look into flashcarts.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 17, 2018

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Due to every page having comments that "<x platform>'s games are too expensive" and "how are the quality of repro carts?", might be worth highlighting somewhere in the thread title or OP that hey, there are these cool things called flash carts and you should buy one.

It's pretty prominent in the op tho :confused:

e: seriously I have no idea why price complaining is still a thing. either you're a collector and you know poo poo is expensive because your weird tribe made it that way, or you're normal and have a flashcart (etc)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Lastdancer posted:

Sorry, I did not mean to be a bother. I will look into flashcarts.

It's not really a bother, it's just a question that I expect to become more and more common over the next few years as these reprocarts become more common from companies trying to cash in.

The Retrobit multicarts though aren't really much higher quality than the aliexpress specials, though they at least use a real (5v) flash chip instead of an epoxy blob.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Cornflakes posted:

Just played through Super Mario Kart last weekend and I forgot how brutally punishing the AI is in that game. Beating special on 150cc is hard when Mario and Luigi can go invincible at will.

Anyone know a good source for decent SNES controllers? I’m ok with aftermarket. I’ve heard getting Super Famicom controllers off ebay is usually affordable and a solid bet, any experience with this?

https://smile.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SN3...tdo%2Bsnes&th=1

Doesn't ship until February 1st though.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Cornflakes posted:

SFC controller cables are half the length of SNES cables, just fyi

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Guess I just stick with the PSIO because somehow the PSP Go is mega expensive these days.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

new PCB day :toot:

it's on the supergun instead of in the cab because it rotates opposite most other games and there's no screen flip dip switch. somebody has made a patch though so I just need to get the proper eprom and burn it

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

the wizards beard posted:

SFC controller cables are half the length of SNES cables, just fyi

I think it's even less than half. Mine are only 3 feet long. I think the US SNES had 8 foot cables.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Rirse posted:

Guess I just stick with the PSIO because somehow the PSP Go is mega expensive these days.
Can't you do TV out on a 2000 or 3000?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

90s Cringe Rock posted:

You can indeed.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The problem is the PSP Go has the bluetooth controller option. Otherwise I am stuck having to control the games with the PSP as a controller, which will blow on any PS1 games that had L2/R2 or right stick controls. If it didn't have that problem then I wouldn't even worry about the PSP Go.

Shame the PSTV is so gimped, between it resolution issues and no way to add games not on the PSN Store.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Rirse posted:

The problem is the PSP Go has the bluetooth controller option. Otherwise I am stuck having to control the games with the PSP as a controller, which will blow on any PS1 games that had L2/R2 or right stick controls. If it didn't have that problem then I wouldn't even worry about the PSP Go.

Shame the PSTV is so gimped, between it resolution issues and no way to add games not on the PSN Store.
You can use a USB cable for the controller on older PSPs, I think, if you don't mind that.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rirse posted:

I haven't messed with mine in a few months, but it had a permanent custom firmware option when I did [Henkaku Enso], with USB mass storage, and Adrenaline seems to work fine for PS1/PSP emulation. As long as you're on the right firmware, that is.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Code Jockey posted:

I haven't messed with mine in a few months, but it had a permanent custom firmware option when I did [Henkaku Enso], with USB mass storage, and Adrenaline seems to work fine for PS1/PSP emulation. As long as you're on the right firmware, that is.

My PSTV is 3.65 or something like that. It been several months since I even used it. And again the resolution issue hurts, as all the PS1 games look blurry on it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
If you have a PSTV, the best way I've found to get good quality video out of it is this convoluted setup:

PSTV set to 1080i -> HDCP Stripping Splitter -> HDMI IN on Framemeister -> Out to TV via HDMI at 1080p.

Because Vita games are 540p, 1080i being line doubled to 1080p looks great because each single field of interlaced 1080 is 540 rows. No one should run out and buy a Framemeister for this purpose, but many of us already have one lying around, so why not use it?

But, the only real value I think this provides is a way to play the few good Vita exclusives (P4G) on a TV in pretty good quality. There are so many other ways to get a PS1 game on a TV, you should probably use them instead.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

xamphear posted:

If you have a PSTV, the best way I've found to get good quality video out of it is this convoluted setup:

PSTV set to 1080i -> HDCP Stripping Splitter -> HDMI IN on Framemeister -> Out to TV via HDMI at 1080p.

Because Vita games are 540p, 1080i being line doubled to 1080p looks great because each single field of interlaced 1080 is 540 rows. No one should run out and buy a Framemeister for this purpose, but many of us already have one lying around, so why not use it?

But, the only real value I think this provides is a way to play the few good Vita exclusives (P4G) on a TV in pretty good quality. There are so many other ways to get a PS1 game on a TV, you should probably use them instead.

Is there a option like this for the OSSC which I have and love?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Rirse posted:

Is there a option like this for the OSSC which I have and love?

Ossc has no digital inputs. You would need to convert to analog somewhere.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

new PCB day :toot:

it's on the supergun instead of in the cab because it rotates opposite most other games and there's no screen flip dip switch. somebody has made a patch though so I just need to get the proper eprom and burn it

I wonder how easy it is to rotate the monitors in cocktail cabinets. From what I gather, most vertically-oriented Japanese games were meant to be played in cocktails over there up until candy cabs took over as the standard (the early 90s?). I'm guessing that also explains the lack of screen flip switch as player 1 can just sit on whatever side of the table.

e: why would you rotate the monitor in a cocktail when you can just flip the table around? Me lose brain, uh oh

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 18, 2018

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

I wonder how easy it is to rotate the monitors in cocktail cabinets. From what I gather, most vertically-oriented Japanese games were meant to be played in cocktails over there up until candy cabs took over as the standard (the early 90s?). I'm guessing that also explains the lack of screen flip switch as player 1 can just sit on whatever side of the table.

e: why would you rotate the monitor in a cocktail when you can just flip the table around? Me lose brain, uh oh

yeah there is a cocktail dip switch on bomb jack and most JP games of the era, which switches between standard mode and a mode which flips the screen depending on what player's turn it is. interestingly, tehkan were one of the first japanese makers of what we now call candy cabs, helping to change the japanese standard from cocktail to candy

I would probably kill for one of these tbh

e: and candy cabs really took over around the late 80's around the time sega's "city" came out

d0s fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 19, 2018

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Did they go with the "City" name because it was a small cabinet form-factor designed to be crammed into urban Japanese arcades, where it can be assumed that floor space was at a premium?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Oh hell yeah! I love VIDEO GAME.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

d0s posted:

yeah there is a cocktail dip switch on bomb jack and most JP games of the era, which switches between standard mode and a mode which flips the screen depending on what player's turn it is. interestingly, tehkan were one of the first japanese makers of what we now call candy cabs, helping to change the japanese standard from cocktail to candy

I would probably kill for one of these tbh

e: and candy cabs really took over around the late 80's around the time sega's "city" came out

I love that late 80s Japanese aesthetic. Flat, metal.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Did they go with the "City" name because it was a small cabinet form-factor designed to be crammed into urban Japanese arcades, where it can be assumed that floor space was at a premium?

Maybe they assumed there would be "cities" of arcade cabinets. I dunno. I was wondering about that and the term "candy cab," myself.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
What up fam a package arrived from Japan :cool:

A Hori Commander for PC Engine! I've only gotten to play with the controller for a few minutes but I can already tell this is hands down my favorite PC Engine controller. Every button feels extremely responsive instead of mush like the other controllers and it has grooves on the top of the controller to rest your index fingers in to give you a better grip on the controller. Along with that it has 3 stages of rapid fire that appear to work better than the 2 stages normally used.

...I may have a PC Engine controller addiction :o:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

worthless. posted:

Oh hell yeah! I love VIDEO GAME.
Retro Gaming Megathread: Oh hell yeah! I love VIDEO GAME.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

flyboi posted:

Do I dare ask how much? I literally got my modded PCE from Monitor Burn today.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Anyone know why my Monoprice Component switcher is being ignored by the OSSC? I hooked up the Wii (and Xbox) directly to the unit and they play fine there, but if I use the component switcher I just get a gray screen like there no picture.

Nevermind I put the component cables in the wrong spot on the back of the switcher.

Unrelated note, any good solution for storing the wired controllers? They are getting quite messy being left out.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 19, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Ok, that's kind of adorable. The metal legs/feet look similar to what they used for cocktails. Imagine playing Star Force on one of those when it was brand new. :allears:

quote:

On youtube, I saw this Japanese promotional video for Daisenpuu (aka Twin Hawk, the Toaplan shmup with the helper squadron formation), and the host was playing it on a cocktail. This was 1989. I was surprised because I thought by then cocktails were long dead, so I made the assumption they were still standard in 89.

flyboi posted:

Nice! I would be wary of those arrow-shaped indentations on the d-pad, though. The stock NES controllers have them and they tore up my thumb as a kid. Or maybe I'm just mildly retarded and press too hard.

Also, please give the meowbox some pets for me. The yoscatte thread was asking about her recently, they would appreciate a post. :)

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 19, 2018

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

TheMadMilkman posted:

Do I dare ask how much? I literally got my modded PCE from Monitor Burn today.

$35 from Japan

Ofecks posted:

Nice! I would be wary of those arrow-shaped indentations on the d-pad, though. The stock NES controllers have them and they tore up my thumb as a kid. Or maybe I'm just mildly retarded and press too hard.

Also, please give the meowbox some pets for me. The yoscatte thread was asking about her recently, they would appreciate a post. :)

I'll see what I can do

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

flyboi posted:

$35 from Japan

Not bad. I'll have to order one soon.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

On youtube, I saw this Japanese promotional video for Daisenpuu (aka Twin Hawk, the Toaplan shmup with the helper squadron formation), and the host was playing it on a cocktail. This was 1989. I was surprised because I thought by then cocktails were long dead, so I made the assumption they were still standard in 89.

Naw tables stuck around for quite a bit (and can still be found in some JP arcades) but they just weren't the majority anymore by the end of the 80's. Some of the very last tables made are extremely dank (and worth a ton of money)

Sega Aero Table

Jaleco Table Pony

SNK Candy 26 (for the person who asked, this is where "candy cab" comes from, SNK used the word "candy" in the name of a few of their Japanese cabs, and western people rolled with it. I don't think Japanese people call them candy cabs)

e:

flyboi posted:

These rule and were made for a bunch of systems, and are actually essential imo for PCE and Master System, as their original dpads are pretty poo poo. They were released in the US for both Master System (as SG Commander) and NES (as Shinsei Hyper Controller)

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 19, 2018

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
please stop posting amazing looking cabinets or I'm going to make bad decisions with my money

azurite posted:

Maybe they assumed there would be "cities" of arcade cabinets.

I think we all dreamed of this, and still do. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/db_electronics/status/952184350350733312