Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

What about Jean Gray? She destroyed entire star systems as the Phoenix.

Didn’t they retroactively make it not her so that she was in a coma in a space pod in the Hudson River the whole time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, I just found out that the current spider-man cartoon massively leaks all over. The season finale is up on youtube, via a choppy leak of the hindu release. Someone recorded bits of episode 21 with their phone.

For the complaint that too many characters have spider-powers in the show: Episodes 20 and 21 are straight up Spider-Island. All of NYC gets spider powers and it's really fun how people just swing around.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Samuringa posted:

The Illuminati is kinda of a reverse, right? They are all - arguably - heroes who decided they were powerful enough to play puppet master.

Dr strange blew up a bunch of worlds on his own during secret wars in addition to what he did with the Illuminati, if that counts

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

Dr strange blew up a bunch of worlds on his own during secret wars in addition to what he did with the Illuminati, if that counts

None of that Secret Wars poo poo counts.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brief graphic nudity?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Has Magneto actually done really bad stuff? I feel like I don't know of anything that he has actually done. I know he has been a bad guy and had has some big bad plans, but I can't think of a time he actually did something even on the level of like, Carnage.

Also, Emma Frost has waffled between hero and villain, right? I imagine she has an interesting rap sheet.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
He was an X-men villain for 50 years, I'm sure he must've done something really bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There was a whole thing in the Jim Lee era where he was sort of trying to be a good guy (as he does) and they found this sub or ship or something that he sank in this old storyline that was just full of dead soldiers who suffocated. Wolverine tried to gut him then and there.

Morrison also had him kill basically everyone in NYC but nobody talks about that anymore. He might not be as out of control as Carnage or Joker or whatever, but he's got at least hundreds of innocent deaths on his hands.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

There was a whole thing in the Jim Lee era where he was sort of trying to be a good guy (as he does) and they found this sub or ship or something that he sank in this old storyline that was just full of dead soldiers who suffocated. Wolverine tried to gut him then and there.

Morrison also had him kill basically everyone in NYC but nobody talks about that anymore.

As bad as it sounds, I feel like killing soldiers kind of doesn't count by comic book standards. Also lol at the idea that that would trigger Wolverine for some reason. Dude almost certainly has more confirmed kills on screen than Magneto. And his methods are pretty much all stabbing or cutting people to death.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ToastyPotato posted:

Has Magneto actually done really bad stuff? I feel like I don't know of anything that he has actually done. I know he has been a bad guy and had has some big bad plans, but I can't think of a time he actually did something even on the level of like, Carnage.

Also, Emma Frost has waffled between hero and villain, right? I imagine she has an interesting rap sheet.

Maybe more bad-rear end than bad but he ripped the adamantium out of Wolverine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was the excruciating manner in which they had died he had an issue with.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

It was the excruciating manner in which they had died he had an issue with.

I mean, did Magneto say he had a reason for doing it? Did he proclaim that he enjoyed their suffering or something?

Lobok posted:

Maybe more bad-rear end than bad but he ripped the adamantium out of Wolverine.

I guess that is technically a bad thing, but Wolverine survived, as he knew he would, and Wolverine is not exactly some innocent bystander. I dunno. Maybe I need one of those "Magneto Was Right" shirts. :psyduck:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

IIRC he just killed them because they were trying to stop him from doing a terrorism. Magneto's a villain.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Morrison also had him kill basically everyone in NYC but nobody talks about that anymore.

From what I remember, that was near immediately retconned as being done by Xorn.

No, not that Xorn. The other Xorn. The first one.

No, no, the other first one.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Codependent Poster posted:

Brief graphic nudity?

You're gonna find out why they call him Captain Boomerang.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kurui Reiten posted:

From what I remember, that was near immediately retconned as being done by Xorn.

I think retcons were involved in rehabilitating Hal Jordan too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kurui Reiten posted:

Well he also sent some kind of electromagnetic pulse from space that hosed up the entire planet that one time. That's gotta be in the thousands of deaths.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

FilthyImp posted:

"What? That show for a series that won't sell toys didn't get the ratings when we put it in a 6am timeslot on alternating Tuesdays? Well guess we'll have to kill it"

-- A network executive, probably.

I think it's more the kind of rivalry where their mutual owner requires Cartoon Network to show DC cartoons, but doesn't allow them to charge very much money for the privilege, so they would much prefer to show nearly anything else.

(Teen Titans Go is under a different arrangement, apparently, or else they wouldn't show it at 100% of all times.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think in his first appearance, he was trying to steal missiles from an army base, and he's had a lot of similar run-ins since. At the very least he's always making some kind of trouble like a rogue state.

There are some fun stories in the 80s where he's trying to stop racism but in ways that are somehow immoral, like his anti-racism mind control helmet, or this gem in Secret wars after he spent like 2 issues making out with wasp and lays out his plan to take the Beyonder up on his challenge and use a victory to create a world of harmony.

The most evil scum since Hitler.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He is pretty much saying. "Yo lets murder anyone who oppose us in creating our Utopia." The exact some thing Doom wants to do.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is pretty much saying. "Yo lets murder anyone who oppose us in creating our Utopia." The exact some thing Doom wants to do.

Ehhhh, it seems more like he feels Doom is going to ask to be made ruler of the world, which he doesn't think will be a good thing, and that he would rather ask for world peace. He wants to kill Doom to prevent him from getting that wish. He brings up killing anyone else who tries to stop him, but really, he is saying he will kill anyone that tries to stop him from making the wish of world peace. That doesn't seem so bad. :unsmith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Doom actually created world peace at one point in time, it just involved a lot of mind control and he got bored with it, that's why I like his hero turn, he's just creating a new challenge for himself.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The issue should be the standard "superheroes don't kill" rule, since the people Mags is talking about killing are already trying to kill the heroes for their ultimate goal, but they really quickly dismiss Magneto as being some kind of powermad maniac.

For comparison, back in 2012 marvel rounded up a bunch of the extraneous teenage characters and did a hunger games, leaving almost half of them dead for reals at the end of it all. Times sure have changed.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Magneto has historically been more of a "leader of a rogue state/political terrorist" than a mass murderer. iirc the guys in that sub died during the events of Uncanny #150, when he issues an ultimatum to the world to cede political control to him or be destroyed.

The USSR responds by sending a nuclear submarine to launch missiles at his island base, and Magneto disarms the missiles and sinks the sub. He then uses an earthquake machine to destroy a Russian city in retaliation - but he gives them a few hours' warning to evacuate first, and no-one dies in the city's destruction.

This is actually also the story where Claremont revamps Magneto as an anti-hero rather than a straight villain. It ends with Storm convincing him of the folly of his tyrannical approach to seeking peace and then he straight up doesn't appear for dozens of issues before returning, having reformed and seeking reconciliation with the X-Men.

He would only heel turn again much, much later. For a long time his redemption was played as totally genuine, and marked a sea change from the "retro" X-Men era, where straightforward heroes fought simplistic villains, to Claremont's superhero soap opera, where characters had inner lives and dramatic motivations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I like Magneto, he's a nuanced complex character. But yeah he has done straight up super villain stuff.
Ignoring the ret-conned Morrison stuff and all his attempts at killing the X-Men, he has stolen nuclear weapons, sunk a Russian nuclear sub killing all on-board, later stealing the nuclear weapons from said sub to arm Asteroid M.
Then there are the natural disasters (in Fatal Attractions he shut down all power on the planet.)That would in theory kill millions. Even if you say "superheroes worked over time to catch falling planes" that should still leave thousands dead.
Also her inverted the planet's magnetic poles. That has to be bad for the planet.

Also one time he messed with the Earth's EM field to effect the astral plane so Psychics would have a harder time using their powers. That's just mean.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

All the nuclear weapons stuff isn't super bad though. He's never actually used his nukes, just tried to use them as a bargaining chip to get people to accept his agenda. The sub he sunk was about to launch a nuclear missile at his home base, so he's reasonably covered on self defense/act of war there.

I'm sure in his fifty+ years of publication Magneto's done some awful things, though. He's a mess of a character by now if you try to take everything as canon in the same way as, say, Charles Xavier (who lusted after Jean Grey and got a secret team of X-Men killed and did various other shady things across the full breadth of his publication history) and Scott Summers (who abandoned his wife and newborn child to go pal around with X-Force without telling her where he was) are.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Seriously though, I've never gotten over how X-Men canon just skates over Scott being a deadbeat dad who walks out on his wife and his new baby without even telling her his whereabouts, and spends his time away from her hanging out with his old pals and mooning over Jean Grey, without even so much as calling his wife (who doesn't know where he is or why he's been gone for so long). That pretty much forever ruins Cyclops if you don't glaze over it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

I like Magneto, he's a nuanced complex character. But yeah he has done straight up super villain stuff.
Ignoring the ret-conned Morrison stuff and all his attempts at killing the X-Men, he has stolen nuclear weapons, sunk a Russian nuclear sub killing all on-board, later stealing the nuclear weapons from said sub to arm Asteroid M.
Then there are the natural disasters (in Fatal Attractions he shut down all power on the planet.)That would in theory kill millions. Even if you say "superheroes worked over time to catch falling planes" that should still leave thousands dead.
Also her inverted the planet's magnetic poles. That has to be bad for the planet.

Also one time he messed with the Earth's EM field to effect the astral plane so Psychics would have a harder time using their powers. That's just mean.

I thought inverting the poles was something Ultimate Mags did. It's what led to Ultimatum, cementing him as one of history's greatest monsters.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It evens out a little when it turns out that his wife was some kind of horrible goblin clone all along, but yeah, there was a lot of fuckery involved in making X-Factor. He went back to see his family after a little while, but by then they had all mysteriously vanished. His wife and kid he eventually found (before they turned into a goblin clone and old man cyborg respectively), but his grandparents are probably super dead.

The role that Cyclops has settled into is the guy who leads because nobody else wants the responsibility, and everybody already hates him because he's kind of a jerk, so they're all ready to blame him for anything that goes wrong, and his life has otherwise been a long series of tragedies. He is the guy whose job it is to tell everybody else to stop having fun while at the same time not being allowed to have any fun himself. Everybody hates him for pretty understandable reasons, and yet he was always my favorite character as a kid who I sympathized the most with.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cyclops has always loving sucked

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I thought inverting the poles was something Ultimate Mags did. It's what led to Ultimatum, cementing him as one of history's greatest monsters.

He did something at one of the poles that lead to the U.N. making him King of Genosha. I read that story like 2 months ago and damned if I can't remember what his original plan was.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Skwirl posted:

He did something at one of the poles that lead to the U.N. making him King of Genosha. I read that story like 2 months ago and damned if I can't remember what his original plan was.

I actually had that issue as a kid, I remember it led to Joseph sacrificing himself to stop it/put the poles back. Afterwards a jet lands and some UN guy says that they will meet his demands and give him Genosha.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That story had some pretty good Alan Davis art but that's all I remember from it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, I just found out that the current spider-man cartoon massively leaks all over. The season finale is up on youtube, via a choppy leak of the hindu release. Someone recorded bits of episode 21 with their phone.

For the complaint that too many characters have spider-powers in the show: Episodes 20 and 21 are straight up Spider-Island. All of NYC gets spider powers and it's really fun how people just swing around.

There's the rumor of this and all Marvel Disney XD shows being cancelled. Unfortunately I could see this happening...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

good day for a bris posted:

I actually had that issue as a kid, I remember it led to Joseph sacrificing himself to stop it/put the poles back. Afterwards a jet lands and some UN guy says that they will meet his demands and give him Genosha.

So what you're saying is you don't remember his original plan either.

Why did anyone read comics in the 90's?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They didn't, they collected them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

They didn't, they collected them.

I was actually reading Spider-Man during the Clone Saga and my dad would buy 2 copies of everything (one for me to read and one to save for investment) if he'd put that money into a normal savings account I wouldn't have any student debt.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Skwirl posted:

So what you're saying is you don't remember his original plan either.

Why did anyone read comics in the 90's?

I believe his plan was to force the UN to give him Genosha by threatening to reverse the poles and kill humanity. I'm not going to say it was one of his greater plans, but that was the entire thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

good day for a bris posted:

I believe his plan was to force the UN to give him Genosha by threatening to reverse the poles and kill humanity. I'm not going to say it was one of his greater plans, but that was the entire thing.

It worked so it was a pretty good plan really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's the rumor of this and all Marvel Disney XD shows being cancelled. Unfortunately I could see this happening...
http://tombcartoonmonkeyskeleton.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/work-around-town-too.html
Aw, man. :( I can see that, I follow a few of the animators on the show and iirc they all say former employees at Marvel Animation. Makes sense to just clean the slate with what they're going for, sucks that the first show to really break from their stale animated universe gets caught up in this...