Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Fundamentally GE seems pretty meh. There's better opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Let's all put money into BGFV, the thing I bought at 10 dollars and is currently at 6.50. :sweatdrop:

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
How anyone would have insight into GE, long or short, is beyond me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

fougera posted:

The bull case is whether you think they will announce something something blockchain in the near future

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Very glad I exited GE yesterday, never touching that loving turd again I don't care what the dividend is

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So what the hell is really going on with GE? Do people just not want washer and dryers anymore?

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
$GOON

Sell out of $GE and $KATFF both are down about 10%. Sounds like there is consensus. Just looking for a confirmation.

Anyone have some earnings plays still? I’ve personally sold out of $TGT and $COP.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Not great timing on the wrap around advertising on one of Canada's national newspapers this morning.

https://twitter.com/CBCStephenQuinn/status/953660110416433152

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Couple new blockchain ETFs today. :whoptc:

Not crypto focused so they might not suck poo poo but the ER is pretty high on both (~70 bps)

https://twitter.com/StockTwits/status/953669518236274690

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
It’s like F stood up for a couple days and suddenly realized it didn’t have pants on and is desperately trying to get back below the $12 waterline.

This is comforting. It’s like they’re back where they belong and I don’t have to worry about short term vs. long term gains and waiting for dividends and whatnot. Good old reliable F.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

fougera posted:

I did some options trading in my paper money account, and both of my GE options picks are eating it :mad: but AMZN 19 JAN 1280 puts did alright.

When I buy OTM options, I'm pretty concerned about buying too much to unload. How much should I be buying, relative to the risks and previous volume? Whatever I'd buy in lotto tickets?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
(double post for attachment ...)

This is what I put in my thinkorswim paper money for some criticism. I didn't put a lot of thought into these, but that's partially because I have no idea:

(Edit: I realized I bought most of these at market open instead of hunting down the mark since I was busy this morning. I'd imagine it'd be a little more even if they were all limit orders.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 17, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Options you need to calculate the fees for both ends of the trade (also exercise fees in the case of selling) and get the % of the total cost down. For instance, $300 into SPYX could be 1 contract at say $11 fees each way, but the same $300 into SPY would be 10 contracts and $21. So for that example fees would be 6.8% on the SPYX and 12.3% on SPY so you need moves bigger than that to break even. Exercise fees can be tricky, you could pay the fee multiple times if your sold contracts are exercised by different people so trading those new penny options can be very painful.

If you buy short durations expect theta decay to eat at the premium ruin your life.

e: check http://www.optionsprofitcalculator.com for a visual of where you need to be by what day for you to be green.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 17, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

jvick posted:

$GOON

Sell out of $GE and $KATFF both are down about 10%. Sounds like there is consensus. Just looking for a confirmation.

Anyone have some earnings plays still? I’ve personally sold out of $TGT and $COP.

I'd give KATFF until end of Q1, at least. The idea is to long cobalt rather than swing trade off price movements. Both their facility and demand for cobalt are ramping up, atm.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Unless you're buying calls/puts on stocks with huge swings (TSLA, SPX, AMZN), it is rarely worth it short term unless you have insider info. For low volume stocks I always do LEAPS.

Also, speaking of options - I bought SPX Feb 16th 2880 at the bottom of yesterdays tumble. Today has been amazing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
KODK short :stonk: I'd close it ASAP before the squeeze gets worse

e: short squeeze when bitcoin is circling the drain jfc

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 17, 2018

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Accretionist posted:

I'd give KATFF until end of Q1, at least. The idea is to long cobalt rather than swing trade off price movements. Both their facility and demand for cobalt are ramping up, atm.

Fair enough.

With the $10 calls shooting up on $KODK, what do you guys think about initiating another short position there?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Bitcoin is bouncing so beware shorting crypto stocks with actual dollars.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

jvick posted:

Fair enough.

With the $10 calls shooting up on $KODK, what do you guys think about initiating another short position there?

I'm not exactly sure why the shares are even going up right now. There might be an announcement this week which will cause it to bounce even more.

Harry fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 17, 2018

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
So there’s agreement to cover $KODK tomorrow at market open.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Just ride out the short I thought we were in at like 8.60

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
It's gonna squeeze, but that's just me saying that. If there isn't consensus then ride it. It's fake money, right :tinfoil:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Buy 1 February 7.50 call @ 2.41 if we need to hedge the short

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

you could pay the fee multiple times if your sold contracts are exercised by different people so trading those new penny options can be very painful.
I honestly didn't consider this.

Risky Bisquick posted:

e: check http://www.optionsprofitcalculator.com for a visual of where you need to be by what day for you to be green.

Sepist posted:

Unless you're buying calls/puts on stocks with huge swings (TSLA, SPX, AMZN), it is rarely worth it short term unless you have insider info. For low volume stocks I always do LEAPS.
Also, speaking of options - I bought SPX Feb 16th 2880 at the bottom of yesterdays tumble. Today has been amazing.
I did not know about LEAPS. I was trying to buy SMG calls but the lack of volume worries me. That seems like a good way to go about it. Thanks dudes.

Also all those options closed at $1,900 on a ~$9,000 account ... I think I should avoid 10% swings that aren't weed stocks ...

On that note, I had a theory that the weed market is gonna be more volatile until private investors start converting notes 2-3 years from now. Is this a fair assessment?

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 17, 2018

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Couldn't help myself and bought SPX calls for Friday at 2800 this afternoon. Up 85% at the moment.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Harry posted:

Couldn't help myself and bought SPX calls for Friday at 2800 this afternoon. Up 85% at the moment.

You and me buddy. And DIA March 270

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So let me get this straight; everyone thinks GE is an adverse risk due to various reasons, but let's all pile into marijuana and bitcoin stocks?

GE has its problems for sure, but in the general risk spectrum it is much more appeasing compared to the penny stocks and derivatives that are constantly touted in this thread.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Well, I wouldn't go for US cannibis anything myself until they can figure out what they're doing on the federal level. Would mean more profit for businesses and less anxiety all around if they do.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So let me get this straight; everyone thinks GE is an adverse risk due to various reasons, but let's all pile into marijuana and bitcoin stocks?

GE has its problems for sure, but in the general risk spectrum it is much more appeasing compared to the penny stocks and derivatives that are constantly touted in this thread.

I don't think anyone is saying GE is more risky. I just don't think it will go anywhere for a while.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I don't think anyone with brain cells is advocating for bitcoin in this thread. Canadian weed stocks are still better than the trashfire GE which just wrote down like 10% of their market cap. I'm sure GE will continue to exist in whatever form but some people prefer companies with a bright future (Canada doesn't even have recreational until July 1)

What I'm trying to say is convert your IRA to 100% TWMJF

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 18, 2018

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

For you guys doing the goon ETF thing, what software are you using to track your portfolio and what broker are you using to trade (with what fees)?

I'm pretty much a passive investor boglehead type but am considering branching out and investing in some select favorites of mine. Options so far mostly seem to be at either $5 or $7 per trade.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

pmchem posted:

For you guys doing the goon ETF thing, what software are you using to track your portfolio and what broker are you using to trade (with what fees)?

I'm pretty much a passive investor boglehead type but am considering branching out and investing in some select favorites of mine. Options so far mostly seem to be at either $5 or $7 per trade.

I setup the portfolio on MarketWatch. It’s all paper trading at no fees. It was more for fun to keep track of the trades that people make in the thread. There used to be a lot more “I’m getting into this company and here’s a paragraph of why” in the thread.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Jamfrost posted:

Well, I wouldn't go for US cannibis anything myself until they can figure out what they're doing on the federal level. Would mean more profit for businesses and less anxiety all around if they do.

See the thing with this is that now that CA has legalized, CO and WA are raking in shitloads of cash - not to mention employing thousands - I don't see a way for the DOJ to clamp down without seriously pissing off big states with big money. Doesn't seem realistic to me but then again...

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

SixPabst posted:

See the thing with this is that now that CA has legalized, CO and WA are raking in shitloads of cash - not to mention employing thousands - I don't see a way for the DOJ to clamp down without seriously pissing off big states with big money. Doesn't seem realistic to me but then again...

Oregon too!

Edit: and DC

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I was mostly annoyed because the goon etf lost money on GE and then the plan was to immediately turn around and short it. Have a plan and then follow it. I don’t really do technical trading myself but for somebody who does going long then short then back again is fine. I’m pretty sure we went in on GE because it was undervalued though.

As far as GE specifically goes I don’t think it’s possible to establish a fair value because I don’t think GE management can model their own company. The new core businesses as of the November conference call are their high margin lines — health care, power, and aerospace. They want to get rid of Lighting (light bulbs and consumer lighting) locomotive, and Current (street lamps and industrial lighting). The surprise problems since are in power, insurance, and health care. Meanwhile my understanding is Current and locomotive are having record quarters. Again, they’ve been divesting themselves of their “low margin” businesses for years and their margins keep coming down. And GE Capital is just a black box.

Like I’m not saying GE is worth 0 or worth $30 I just don’t think anyone, anywhere including at GE understands the business enough to say. You can technical trade on that if you want (but there’s gotta be better things to technical trade than a Dow component). I don’t think you can trade it on fundamentals at all.

I wouldn’t personally touch weed stocks or bitcoin or Nvidia right and try to restrain myself to only buying options to hedge but everybody else ITT is getting rich off all these things so I’m not going to argue with what works.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Jamfrost posted:

Once that uncertainty is wiped away, there will be a ton of investment (and sick gainz)

There aren't many thing that are inevitable, legal weed is one of them.

SixPabst posted:

They won't. There's too much real money in it now. Look at NJ if you want to see what's going to happen on the national level. After 1980's era Just Say No shitbag Christie was rolled out of office, Phil Murphy introduced legislation to legalize almost immediately. There will be a pushback at the national level once these clowns are out of office. It's too popular and there's too much money in it. In 2 years being anti-weed will be even more political suicide than it is today.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe if a real war breaks out GE will sky rocket again!

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I was mostly annoyed because the goon etf lost money on GE and then the plan was to immediately turn around and short it. Have a plan and then follow it. I don’t really do technical trading myself but for somebody who does going long then short then back again is fine. I’m pretty sure we went in on GE because it was undervalued though.

As far as GE specifically goes I don’t think it’s possible to establish a fair value because I don’t think GE management can model their own company. The new core businesses as of the November conference call are their high margin lines — health care, power, and aerospace. They want to get rid of Lighting (light bulbs and consumer lighting) locomotive, and Current (street lamps and industrial lighting). The surprise problems since are in power, insurance, and health care. Meanwhile my understanding is Current and locomotive are having record quarters. Again, they’ve been divesting themselves of their “low margin” businesses for years and their margins keep coming down. And GE Capital is just a black box.

It looks like GE went 'off the rails' this time last year. From briefly reading the internet and financial statements I have no idea what would nudge it off the cliff. It does not sound recoverable without some sort of outside help though. I recall the argument for GE being that it was undervalued for being a relatively necessary company.

They rode out 2000 pretty good, but not 2008 it seems.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Does anyone know what’s happening with IIPR? Their stock is down like 20% in a couple days. They said they’ve issued another 3.8 million shares recently, so obviously share dilution right?

What does it say about a company’s financials or management if they dilute with more stock? Trying to figure out if I should hold or sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I should not ALRM is crushing it lately, a stock I recommended recently in this thread. Up 10% in the last week. Earnings are set for Feb 27 FYI. Was thinking of selling my IIPR and putting more into ALRM