Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I don't know, those moving parts you pointed out seem pretty fragile, and they're going to be used to interact with games. You've seen the way people handle controllers in the heat of the moment.

Motion + cardboard just does not inspire confidence in me. That said, nintendo already announced patterns will be free to download and reproduce so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I don't know, those moving parts you pointed out seem pretty fragile, and they're going to be used to interact with games. You've seen the way people handle controllers in the heat of the moment.

Motion + cardboard just does not inspire confidence in me

So cut out new pieces when they break.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I ninja beat you to that

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

thexerox123 posted:

So cut out new pieces when they break.

Yeah, in a way, the fact that labo components are cheap cardboard encourages creativity. Nobody wants to rip up, paint, modify, or glue poo poo onto molded plastic. Cardboard pieces are insanely easy to repair, replace, or recreate.

They could have made this stuff out of plastic that snapped together and sold it at the same price (plastic is cheap as gently caress, probably cheaper than cardboard when produced at scale). Cardboard was an intentional choice.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KingSlime posted:

Motion + cardboard just does not inspire confidence in me. That said, nintendo already announced patterns will be free to download and reproduce so :shrug:

True, but I don't think these games are going to be nothing more than various tech demos meant for little kids. I can't imagine that Robot game being very intensive, twitch like with the controls.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Bloop posted:

I really don't understand the idea that these things will "only last two hours" and similar comments.

I agree that a six year old very likely cannot build it and also that maybe if they are left unattended with it for hours it will get damaged, but... if they have a $70 game for a $300 system I assume they have parents?

I am 38 years old and still have quite a few pristine books and a number of toys from when I was very young. Is this so unusual? Do so many people really not teach their kids to take care of poo poo, or what? I know these things won't last that long (the robot for sure has a lot of moving parts) but they should at least last months and not hours I expect.

Also I have a Flatbed Plotter at work so I'll be trying my hand at cutting replacement parts :D

Depends on the kid I guess. I took very good care of my toys and games even when I was 5 though my parents wouldn’t have gave a poo poo if I broke everything.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

enjoy cool cardboard gimmicks and construction sets? ENJOY

don't give a gently caress? here's a dark souls remaster

the switch is win win win

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

alf_pogs posted:

don't give a gently caress? here's a Kirby

Fixed your post with a REAL game instead

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

non-cardboard related question:

is the Mario Rabbids DLC worth getting?

i enjoyed the main game very much and would be keen for more in the way of story stuff. i don't really know what it includes, though, aside from new weapons and local co-op mode.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Fixed your post with a REAL game instead

a dark souls and a kirby. truly we live in blessed times

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I liked the main game but for the entire second half I had to use easy mode because I am bad at strategy. I had to abandon X-Com halfway through.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

alf_pogs posted:

i enjoyed the main game very much and would be keen for more in the way of story stuff. i don't really know what it includes, though, aside from new weapons and local co-op mode.

I just picked up that game again today. A lot of things clicked for me in that when I realized that you can respec your characters at any time.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
cant wait to get my labo robot and completely gently caress it up beyond repair within the first hour because i am a big stupid adult

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The Nintendo Switch thread was a mistake. It's nothing but cardboard.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Noctone posted:

The Nintendo Switch thread was a mistake. It's nothing but cardboard.

Well, SA's servers are nothing but cardboard so you're technically accurate!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm happy for the children who will fully enjoy the cardboard things, if even for a fleeting day or two as the cardboard itself rips apart and the game reveals itself to be obvious garbage that is fun for 9 minutes.

No comment on the adults who will do the same, but if they have plenty of disposable income, more power to 'em I guess.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hopefully some children and adults will realize that the substantial asking price is better spent on more involved toys like knex or legos or whatever, instead of a toy that will offer a small amount of admittedly high-level enjoyment (much like the wii until it flew into a box, never to be seen again).

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Taima posted:

Hopefully some children and adults will realize that the substantial asking price is better spent on more involved toys like knex or legos or whatever, instead of a toy that will offer a small amount of admittedly high-level enjoyment (much like the wii until it flew into a box, never to be seen again).

or buttplugs

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Noctone posted:

or buttplugs
BREAKING: Amazon servers collapse and burst into flame under strain after the Nintendo Labo Bad Dragon Kit goes up for pre-order

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

alf_pogs posted:

don't give a gently caress? here's a dark souls remaster

I’m gonna enjoy both my cardboard crafts and Dark Souls on my Switch. Greatest console.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

One thing I just noticed about the Robot kit.
As the kid is strapping on the cardboard to his foot, you can see that the extra string is wrapped around the cardboard
They designed it to work with most everyone, so you can adjust it to work with your height.

gently caress, this has me excited.

Fly with me fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 18, 2018

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
the labo stuff doesn't really interest me terribly much but i also don't think i'm the target market and i'm pretty sure if i was 8 i would think this is the coolest poo poo ever

re: cardboard falling apart - that's not the part of it that would have me worried, you know a bunch of nerds will have the exact dimensions for every component for these things online day 1 to remake if they break (or even remake out of different materials); the part i'd be worried about would be the strings or rubber bands or whatever that's in some of them

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
oh look the port box got some baby games for babies now

kidding labo looks great will buy one for my daughter

then again gently caress games for babies

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Cool

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just hope the product is around still in 2-3 years. My kid is honestly just a tiny bit too young for it.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Modify the RC car labo with weapons and suddenly cheap(?) battlebots

What an exciting time to be alive

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

President Ark posted:

you know a bunch of nerds will have the exact dimensions for every component for these things online day 1 to remake if they break (or even remake out of different materials)
Current word going around from an IGN France article is that Nintendo will post the cardboard design patterns online for free themselves, so if you have a printer that can handle cardboard you can make your own replacements. You'll still need the Switch game to actually do a thing with them, though...

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I just hope the product is around still in 2-3 years. My kid is honestly just a tiny bit too young for it.

Buy it now just in case.
If it becomes hard to find, use it to fund their college education.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Oh yeah by the way, the cardboard robot game should be Blast Corps 2. Well, see ya

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
like I understand they cant announce a new metroid every 2 months but I still really want them to, instead of ports and games for babies

it's also not unlikely that my daughter gently tells me to gently caress off with my lame labo poo poo and asks me to finish getting all the moons in mario odyssey instead (we're grabbing them together)

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 18, 2018

President Ark
May 16, 2010

The Kins posted:

...so if you have a printer that can handle cardboard you can make your own replacements...

or just, uh, print the designs out on a normal printer and tape the paper to cardboard and cut along the pattern

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

President Ark posted:

or just, uh, print the designs out on a normal printer and tape the paper to cardboard and cut along the pattern

This guy cuts

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Lastdancer posted:

This guy cuts

i'd really rather not though

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Kawabata posted:

it's also not unlikely that my daughter gently tells me to gently caress off with my lame labo poo poo and asks me to finish getting all the moons in mario odyssey instead (we're grabbing them together)

Yeah my experience with kids and switch was exactly that. They only gave a poo poo about mario, as soon as mario was off the screen they went right back to their phones/youtubes/annoying kids shows. I don't know if kids really love the switch as much as we do

also holy poo poo a lot of them watch those creepy automated voice over videos on disney/pixar/school life/loving metabolism tips in the case of my 6 year old niece/literally any topic a kid might click on

poo poo is hosed up

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't let your kids use YouTube unattended, JFC :stonk:.

I don't know if you know this, but there is literally a billion-dollar industry in using algorithms to create computer-generated (or algorithm-picked, human-generated, in the case of those Spiderman/Elsa stuff) videos to use kids as clickbot networks to fund and support big-name YouTube personalities.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What I'm excited to see is how many people who complained about the $70 cardboard will download the free cardboard schematics, only to fail miserably at preparing the materials and end up forking over $70 anyway so their kids are happy. (Don't get me wrong, though; if they succeed, that's great and it would probably lend a greater sense of ownership to the device than buying the whole set would)

alf_pogs posted:

All it adds is 8 new challenge maps (rated Ultra Hard) and 5 coop maps. If that sounds worth it to you, go for it. If you got the season pass, you also get a bunch of weapons that are probably useless to you by now, as well as the Donkey Kong story DLC sometime in spring. I'll be waiting for reviews on the second DLC before I go and pick up any.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Argue posted:

All it adds is 8 new challenge maps (rated Ultra Hard) and 5 coop maps. If that sounds worth it to you, go for it. If you got the season pass, you also get a bunch of weapons that are probably useless to you by now, as well as the Donkey Kong story DLC sometime in spring. I'll be waiting for reviews on the second DLC before I go and pick up any.

cool, thanks. i might sit tight then until DK story dlc drops.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How many Switches do I need to strap together to create a bitcoin mining rig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Argue posted:

What I'm excited to see is how many people who complained about the $70 cardboard will download the free cardboard schematics, only to fail miserably at preparing the materials and end up forking over $70 anyway so their kids are happy. (Don't get me wrong, though; if they succeed, that's great and it would probably lend a greater sense of ownership to the device than buying the whole set would)

doesn't the 70 bucks get you the actual software you need to use the cardboard thingamajigs for their intended purpose anyway

• Locked thread