Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This nifty article explains a lot of it: https://www.verticalmag.com/features/20112-flying-the-v-22-html/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Finally got to fly over the best named VOR in the system today: https://imgur.com/a/PstFw

Welcome to the good life.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

Finally got to fly over the best named VOR in the system today: https://imgur.com/a/PstFw

I love hitting Flatrock and calling it “FAK” in my worst New England accent when heading up that way.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

The above is just some guy's supposition on PPRUNE.

Ok, I should have clicked the link. :effort: I guess I'll wait for the definitive conclusion from AvHerald.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Airline guys:

So it looks like I'm going to have to do about 4 months of commuting (from the west coast ugh) to LGA. I'd rather do hotel rooms then a crash pad, but LGA/JFK hotels don't seem cheap. What do the veterans do? Is it even worth going home if I only have two days off between blocked reserve time? Enjoy a 4 month New York deployment?

xaarman fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 17, 2018

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

From what I remember of LGA the hotels are super expensive and it can be hard to find rooms sometimes. Back then we mostly had a "don't ask don't tell" policy about sleeping in the crew room so that happened a bunch. I think most people these days just get a crashpad.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

xaarman posted:

Airline guys:

So it looks like I'm going to have to do about 4 months of commuting (from the west coast ugh) to LGA. I'd rather do hotel rooms then a crash pad, but LGA/JFK hotels don't seem cheap. What do the veterans do? Is it even worth going home if I only have two days off between blocked reserve time? Enjoy a 4 month New York deployment?

You can find crashpads in Queens (Kew Gardens particularly) for around $300/mo depending on how nice you want.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

This article is great.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

vessbot posted:

Bob A Feet, please tell about the collective/power lever on the V-22. Which way does it move? In airplane mode, it's blindingly obvious that they would make it like an airplane, forward=more power. And I'm sure they wouldn't make it reverse direction when it transitions to helicopter. Which means that in helicopter mode, it would be forward= collective up.

Now normal collectives are up/down instead of forward/back, and it seems to me that the more natural remapping would be that pulling up would be the same as pulling back (you're bending your elbow and pulling the lever toward yourself). But that would mean that on the V-22, back reduces collective, which would be backwards for helicopter guys!

Do I have this all right? If so, how do helicopter guys adjust to it?

yeah you have it right

Our "TCL" (thrust control lever) moves forward and backward, similar to any traditional fixed wing power control- forward is more power, back is less power. It operates in the same manner in helicopter/conversion mode-- forward increases collective pitch (forward is up), back decreases collective. You get into an interesting mix of control blending when you get halfway between helicopter and airplane. So yeah, it is slightly different for transitioning helicopter guys-- but I don't know of anyone who's had a problem with it. I've heard the phrase "collective dyslexia" in reference to helicopter guys who it doesn't translate to immediately.

honestly, hovering and helicopter stuff is super simple due to our flight control system. lots of transitioning pilots (EA-6B, Japanese and USN guys) have never flown helicopters and get it fine. I find it simpler than a conventional helicopter.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

this article is very accurate-- honestly looks like it was written by a v-22 pilot.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Anybody have info on the CFI job market in south Florida? I know in the Midwest you can get a job the day you pass your CFI checkride, is FL the same?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

two_beer_bishes posted:

Anybody have info on the CFI job market in south Florida? I know in the Midwest you can get a job the day you pass your CFI checkride, is FL the same?

It is. I’m literally in the same boat and location that you are and I was offered a job at the flight school I did my training at and I haven’t even passed my CFI checkrides.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

xaarman posted:

Airline guys:

I hated my Kew Gardens crash pad. it was a $24 round trip cab ride to the airport. If you want a crashpad within walking distance to LGA Terminal C lemme know.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

The airline hiring boom has created a pretty significant drain on CFI's all over the US, so you shouldn't have a problem finding a CFI gig, especially in places like FL that tend to have a lot of schools training foreign contract students.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Do any schools have strictly ground instructors? Do you need to be a CFI to do ground instruction?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm not in FL yet but my wife wants to move there for a job and I'd love to get the gently caress out of where I am. Sounds promising

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

a patagonian cavy posted:

It is. I’m literally in the same boat and location that you are and I was offered a job at the flight school I did my training at and I haven’t even passed my CFI checkrides.

Canada's quite similar. Nothing formal, but our CFI "offered" me a job as soon as he heard I was interested in doing an instructor rating. We're so short-staffed for instructors that the ones we have right now are booking three to four weeks ahead.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 20, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

sleepy gary posted:

Do any schools have strictly ground instructors? Do you need to be a CFI to do ground instruction?

I think (legally) you just need the faa requirements of reading, writing, speaking English, be 18 and have taken your Advance Ground Instructor test and, if you aren’t a certified teacher already, your Fundamentals of Instruction test.

The school would probably want you to be a CFI, but I don’t think you technically have to, someone care to correct me?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

sleepy gary posted:

We're hiring ground instructors so we can keep our line pilots out flying instead of stuck in a classroom. Want a job in DFW?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

sleepy gary posted:

Rolo posted:

I think (legally) you just need the faa requirements of reading, writing, speaking English, be 18 and have taken your Advance Ground Instructor test and, if you aren’t a certified teacher already, your Fundamentals of Instruction test.

The school would probably want you to be a CFI, but I don’t think you technically have to, someone care to correct me?

My school just hired two AGIs to teach ground schools- the one girl is working on Commercial but seems like she's sharp enough to run the Private ground she's doing this semester. Don't know what the other guy's credentials are. The chief flight instructor was thrilled and encouraged them to do it to have two additional instructors to free the CFIs up to fly.

AGI allows you to teach ground schools for all ratings except Instrument, for which you need IGI. The only place where it might get tricky on the AGI test is if you come across knowledge for a rating you don't have (I stopped at Instrument, so I had to watch videos to understand some of the Commercial maneuvers I'd never done. There are also multi questions.). You have to be employed by a flight school/FBO to legally put to use the benefits of the BGI/AGI/IGI and there's a refresher due every two years.

The FOI is a cakewalk, especially if you've taken a psychology class at some point. I think the Gleim only had five study sections.

I'm an AGI, but there's some legalese which prevents me for working for both our college (current employer) and the flight school simultaneously; there was another scenario under which I could've shifted to the flight school but it fell through in September.

e-

KodiakRS posted:

We're hiring ground instructors so we can keep our line pilots out flying instead of stuck in a classroom. Want a job in DFW?

Aren't airlines heavily preferring people with ATPs/experience in type for these gigs? I thought I saw one which also required applicants to be able to pass the new hire training, too.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 18, 2018

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Aren't airlines heavily preferring people with ATPs/experience in type for these gigs? I thought I saw one which also required applicants to be able to pass the new hire training, too.

Typically, yes, but the current hiring climate means that regionals in particular are getting way less picky about who they'll hire for instructing slots.

Where I work, we have several ground instructors who have never been pilots and aren't rated on the airplane, so it's certainly possible to do that job without being an ATP.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

AWSEFT posted:

I'm in Kew Gardens. You obviously called the wrong cab company. I've never paid more than $12 to cab to either airport from Kew

$12 there, $12 back. $24 round trip. Kew Cab. The 8 minute walk to LGA is infinitely more convenient

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
I’m debating if I should spend my paycheck on flying lessons. I’m 16 and not sure if I should just save it up for college and take the aeronautical course or just spend it now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

AutisticAwl posted:

I’m debating if I should spend my paycheck on flying lessons. I’m 16 and not sure if I should just save it up for college and take the aeronautical course or just spend it now.

Are you in a state which has something like Post-Secondary Enrollment Option or College Credit Plus where the state will pay your tuition? Do you have a college with an aviation program somewhere nearby?

If you can say yes to both, I'd consider doing it on the government's dime. We have CCP students taking Private ground for free every semester. They've nipped flight labs being done pretty hard once they found out they were paying $8,000 for somebody's Private, but you could at least get your feet wet and work toward bigger and better.

If not (or even if so), it might not hurt to splurge for a discovery flight and go from there.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

AutisticAwl posted:

probably least popular opinion in this thread: college degree + commission + pilot contract

theres a few other mil pilots in this thread. I haven't paid a cent for all my flying experience. well except my soul but you can't put a monetary value on that. plus airlines love military pilots

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I mean, speaking as a Real Life Adult working on saving up for my license, I do wish I did it when I was young and lacking annoying things like obligations.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

CBJSprague24 posted:

Are you in a state which has something like Post-Secondary Enrollment Option or College Credit Plus where the state will pay your tuition? Do you have a college with an aviation program somewhere nearby?

If you can say yes to both, I'd consider doing it on the government's dime. We have CCP students taking Private ground for free every semester. They've nipped flight labs being done pretty hard once they found out they were paying $8,000 for somebody's Private, but you could at least get your feet wet and work toward bigger and better.

If not (or even if so), it might not hurt to splurge for a discovery flight and go from there.

I live in Hawaii but plan to go to college at Utah State. Not sure if they do that. What I am excited for is flying diamonds.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

AutisticAwl posted:

I live in Hawaii but plan to go to college at Utah State. Not sure if they do that. What I am excited for is flying diamonds.

You'd have to be a resident to be eligible for CCP-style programs, so you'd be looking in Hawaii. Do any colleges out there have a flight training program?

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

CBJSprague24 posted:

You'd have to be a resident to be eligible for CCP-style programs, so you'd be looking in Hawaii. Do any colleges out there have a flight training program?

I think Hawaii Pacific University has a program. Otherwise I don’t think we have any at all :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you have the money (and that's a big if) then there's pretty much no way you'd regret starting earlier and flying more, in my opinion. Probably doubly so if you'd start off in a different place with a different aircraft in different conditions -- that's all experience, and it will probably make you a more well rounded pilot than flying the same kind of aircraft in and out of the same airport over and over again.

So, if you can reasonably afford it, I'd say start now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Which Island? Training part 61 might actually be a better route to paying jobs if you already have friends/contacts in the area. Also, a cursory search tells me that on Oahu at least, aircraft rental is really not that much more than it is on the mainland. I figured it'd be like 50% more. Not so, apparently.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 20, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm officially off IOE :toot:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Children of the Magenta redux: "When you gaze long into the EFIS, the EFIS gazes back into you"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

Children of the Magenta redux: "When you gaze long into the EFIS, the EFIS gazes back into you"

[Stares in EICAS]

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Haha nice, I never noticed that! Now I'll see if it becomes like the Fedex arrow.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Luckily it’s practically never at 0.0 in the jet or it’s all I’d ever see.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Is it always super windy where you park or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Are the regionals actually hiring 1000-hour R-ATP pilots these days? I'm debating on whether it's worth investing in a degree program (I already have one Bachelor's degree) to save 500 hours of flight instructing.