Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

FuturePastNow posted:

or maybe Kylo was simply lying to her about her parents

*in extremely luke voice* but the online thinkpieces!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Rey went into the cave looking for a specific thing: the identity of her parents. The answer the cave gave her was the answer she was afraid of: they're nobody. That doesn't mean the answer was true. Seduction isn't the only path to the dark side; the movies make it extremely evident that one of the most sure-fire paths to darkness is fear. The cave, being a place strong in the dark side, brought out and magnified the darkness in Rey, which is her fear of being a nobody from nothing who doesn't matter. This is why Kylo repeats this message. He tells her that her parents were not just nobody, but actually assholes who hocked her for booze. He doesn't actually know this any more than Rey does. How could he? Did he track down and interview Unkar Plutt somewhere in the 5 minutes between episodes 7 and 8? She receives the same answer from Ren that she receives from the cave: the one that will feed on her fear and draw her closer to darkness. They didn't care about you, but I do, says Ren.

He's playing on the fact that she's terrified of being insignificant and unwanted and hoping that her fear will drive her to latch onto him in the hope of fulfilling her need to belong.

Btw, are we still spoilering poo poo? Hasn't it been a month since release? Wasn't that the point at which spoilers could be open?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What evidence is there to suggest the answer Kylo gave with regards to Rey's parents is false?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

or maybe Kylo was simply lying to her about her parents

Rey saw a "wrong " vision. Maybe.

Rens may have been wrong or as you said.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What evidence is there to suggest the answer Kylo gave with regards to Rey's parents is false?

He was manipulating her to joining him or as I say above he saw a "false" vision as Rey may have

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well, it's not actually in the movie, but if you read this the answer becomes clear. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Homer Simpson, running after Rey's Parents Theory: It's just a little debunked, it's still good, it's still good!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad they finally got passed the Rey's parents question so we can finally move on to more important things.

Like who do you think Poe's parents were? I bet it's Wedge Antilles and Nien Nub. They did make a good team blowing up Death Star 2.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
*rey sees an image of herself in the cave*

"you see, this means nobody"

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

There's no evidence that it's right or wrong. Kylo doesn't "know" it any more than Rey does. It's an answer that, given her circumstances (abandoned since childhood in an inhospitable poo poo-hole), seems highly likely, and is also the answer he knows she's afraid of and that he thinks is the most likely to sway her to his cause.

It would be like if, as a baby, her and her parents crashed in a small plane in the jungle and she was found by rescuers, but no trace of her parents was ever found. Kylo is basically telling her, "Look, they're dead and you know it. The plane crashed and they died. And who cares? I'm the one you need."

Fhate fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 18, 2018

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

*rey sees an image of herself in the cave*

"you see, this means nobody"

She asks to see her parents and instead sees only herself. Your only family is you. You are alone. The people you're looking for don't exist.

At least, that was how I read it.

Either that or "You are your parents", but I doubt very much that the scene is that literal.

Fhate fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 18, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was at one point two shadows

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

hiddenriverninja posted:

Marc Bernardin on Kevin Smith's podcast pointed out that Kylo Ren was using "negging" PUA techniques to try to get Rey to join him and now shirtless Forcetiming gets even more funny

Then this starts to make sense.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope Rey is actually a droid. They never actually did a medical scan on her or something, right?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/953106797878960128

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/953107873487208448

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/953312313758564352

https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/953395150356705280

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/953410120699977728

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

How would they take out Rey? If they took out that lady it could of be a whole different movie. They could have stayed on the ship and just made it tense as gently caress maybe fight off a boarding party. Then when they are about to get caught Rey goes to the be ship not knowing they are chasing them and then when she got free, somehow made the ship explode or cause a commotion they could of escaped to the salt planet and then just reuse all the last part of the movie. I think that could have been a better movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Theaters should hold women only screenings of the male only cut of the movie.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I give it a 50% chance someone on the Disney marketing team made it

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
tryhard twittering ayy el mao

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

jivjov posted:

The same way I treat people like that one "dutiful wife" twitter account that thinks women should be barefoot and pregnant at all times. I will always err on the side of inclusivity. People sometimes have opinions that run counter to their own self interest (or the interest of groups/communities they belong to)

How do you know that it is counter to their own self-interest. In assuming that it is counter to their self-interest, are you not simply adopting the same patronizing attitude that justified colonialism itself?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is it just me, or does Darth Vader talk a lot more poo poo in the first Star Wars than he ever does afterwards? He taunts Obi-Wan, gets catty with Admiral Atheist, gives his little "this will be a day long remembered" premature victory speech when he's hanging out with Tarkin- he's a bit cocky in a way that he really isn't in Empire and Jedi. I guess the Death Star fiasco truly humbled him a bit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

Is it just me, or does Darth Vader talk a lot more poo poo in the first Star Wars than he ever does afterwards? He taunts Obi-Wan, gets catty with Admiral Atheist, gives his little "this will be a day long remembered" premature victory speech when he's hanging out with Tarkin- he's a bit cocky in a way that he really isn't in Empire and Jedi. I guess the Death Star fiasco truly humbled him a bit.

I like the bit where Tarkin learns Leia lied about the Rebel base being on Dantooine and Vader says something like "I told you she would never betray her friends" and he sounds so :smug: when he does it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You know, say what you will about their politics, but I think playing a round of space-golf with Vader, Tarkin, and Palpatine would be a great way to spend an afternoon.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

General Dog posted:

Oh, he definitely talks poo poo later too. He taunts Luke a bit during their duels in both Empire and RotJ, he makes the whole "clumsy as he is stupid" comment with regards to Admiral Ozzel in Empire, makes the whole "the emperor is not as forgiving as I am" bit.

Fhate fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 18, 2018

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Fhate posted:

She asks to see her parents and instead sees only herself. Your only family is you. You are alone. The people you're looking for don't exist.

At least, that was how I read it.

Either that or "You are your parents", but I doubt very much that the scene is that literal.

Can't it also be interpreted as it doesn't matter who they are. Your actions lead to you, and your choices are what matter. You have the ability to use the force, use it as you chose.

Lineage is overblown by the fandom. Luke and Leia matter because they are children of the chosen one/immaculate conception. Luke fulfills his role and helps redeem his father. After that they don't matter. He isn't the grand mega hyper jedi master of the EU.

Who were Obi Wans parents. Who were Palpatines parents? Who were Yodas parents? It doesn't matter and it never has.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yoda and Yaddle are wookies, that's just what they look like by the time they reach 900

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Last_Taste posted:

Who were Obi Wans parents. Who were Palpatines parents? Who were Yodas parents? It doesn't matter and it never has.

You know there's been some talk about a Yoda spin-off movie.

Edit: On the topic of solo movies, some footage from Solo was screened exclusively for a small audience at a Disney event in Germany recently and the reactions (such as they are) were... more or less positive?

Disclaimer: One comment was "Looks like this could be the 'fan-service-movie' some of the older Star Wars fans wanted from Episode VIII" so who knows?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 18, 2018

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Last_Taste posted:

Can't it also be interpreted as it doesn't matter who they are. Your actions lead to you, and your choices are what matter. You have the ability to use the force, use it as you chose.

Lineage is overblown by the fandom. Luke and Leia matter because they are children of the chosen one/immaculate conception. Luke fulfills his role and helps redeem his father. After that they don't matter. He isn't the grand mega hyper jedi master of the EU.

it was a big deal because tfa made it a big deal not the fandom

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

You know, say what you will about their politics, but I think playing a round of space-golf with Vader, Tarkin, and Palpatine would be a great way to spend an afternoon.

Vader tells it like it is. He's the kind of Imperial I could sit down and have some RedMed vita paste with

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

cuntman.net posted:

Yeah, no one cares who Finn’s actual parents are because it clearly never mattered.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

cuntman.net posted:

What's your take on Maz's line, "You already know the truth. Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku... they're never coming back... But... there's someone who still could."?

Personally that seems to be an clear rebuttal by the movie against the "big deal" take.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Teek posted:

What's your take on Maz's line, "You already know the truth. Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku... they're never coming back... But... there's someone who still could."?

I don’t know why people bring up that line when it’s one of the ones that (along with Rey’s immediate reaction) most heavily implies that Luke is a figure from her past.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

yeah its a line that encourages questions instead of discourages them

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I just have a hard time biting on the notion, it may have encouraged questions, but the answer and themes which TLJ went with, were directly addressed by that line in TFA.

The very first full trailer for TFA also contained an explicit line from Rey about it: Maz: "Who are you?" Rey: "I'm no one."

Some fans post TLJ: :gonk: "My theories!"

Johnson used the TFA build on her family history as a TLJ theme, not that they were secretly someone famous, but that she was indeed no one and that the future of the trilogy (and series) would be led by "no ones". So there was a point for it in TFA, and the TLJ direction is supported by what TFA did, it just wasn't in the way some fans hoped.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Teek posted:

Personally that seems to be an clear rebuttal by the movie against the "big deal" take.

The line i think is more like " the belonging you seek is ahead of you", and if it is it just points to her finding luke and accepting that her real family is the porgs she met along the way.

I think tfa has just as much parents = nobody messaging as it does mysterious ancient lineage messaging

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

pretty much, yeah

its a vague open ended statement that could have meant anything retrospectively

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rey being Luke's secret child would make sense if they wanted to present the force as a closed, dynastic affair, only available to Anakin Skywalker's direct descendants. But we know it isn't due to the prequels, and I think it's actually very important to what TLJ is saying that it isn't. Luke isn't "the last jedi" or "our only hope", there's new talent across the galaxy waiting to be helped and recruited to the cause. Such as Rey and the kid we see at the end of TLJ.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cuntman.net posted:

pretty much, yeah

its a vague open ended statement that could have meant anything retrospectively

"Watch the sequel, you must"

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Jerkface posted:

The line i think is more like " the belonging you seek is ahead of you", and if it is it just points to her finding luke and accepting that her real family is the porgs she met along the way.

I think tfa has just as much parents = nobody messaging as it does mysterious ancient lineage messaging

She says both. What Teek posted is an exact quote. Maz says there’s someone who still could [come back]. This comes to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She was referring to Luke