Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

bitcoin has fit this chart 4 times in the past 2 years :wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

zaurg posted:

GBS, how does the average crypto gambling schmuck react when the market crashes hard, a full 50% in a 10 day span (Jan7->Jan17), and the schmuck says "well drat now my crypto portfolio is only up 75%". How does that affect their outlook and confidence about bitcoin in general? This is happening a lot right? Sure you have these fake tweets about people losing their life savings/401k and what not, but the real people in this are saying what I quoted above. Doesn't that increase their confidence?

The true "average" person has cashed out $0 because bitcoin didn't create any money along the way. For those who have pulled out more in dollars than they put in those dollars came from someone who did the opposite. It's even worse when you consider that a lot of the cash outs have been to cover electricity and mining hardware so they don't represent a windfall for that person. Bitcoin is a net money drain.

It's really not worth listening to the success stories and drawing a conclusion. There were just as many wins as losses in the NFL last year but if you only heard from playoff teams you'd come away thinking the average win rate was 75%.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Bitcoin has the problem that miners have to sell it to continue to pay for their mining, and many of them want to sell more than than so they can use their mining proceeds to buy more mining power because it's still profitable. If there isn't a net influx of new buyers the selling puts downwards pressure on the price. This is fine when it's going to the moon and everyone wants a piece of it but if when that's not true it'll keep crushing the price, maybe sometimes quickly maybe, sometimes slowly until the price has fallen enough to make the cost of mining fall enough to be sustainable again.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

lazorexplosion posted:

I think the drug lords have been out for a while now that bitcoin has become actually unusable, so it'll be more like reddit posters up-voting threats of legal action

Oh no! The major collapse caused by btc! It will actually collapse, Dow Jones, but not due to self important nvidia owners.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Andy Dufresne posted:

The true "average" person has cashed out $0 because bitcoin didn't create any money along the way. For those who have pulled out more in dollars than they put in those dollars came from someone who did the opposite. It's even worse when you consider that a lot of the cash outs have been to cover electricity and mining hardware so they don't represent a windfall for that person. Bitcoin is a net money drain.

It's really not worth listening to the success stories and drawing a conclusion. There were just as many wins as losses in the NFL last year but if you only heard from playoff teams you'd come away thinking the average win rate was 75%.

Probably right. Makes sense.

btw the alt coins are raging back up. maybe temporary.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

It might stagnate a while, it might drop slowly or quickly or even go way back up for a while, but long term it will end up being strangled by the fact that it has to pay for the energy consumption of a small country and new computing and power suppliers and GPU manufacturers don't actually want to be paid in loving bitcoin because it doesn't actually work.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’ve yet to see an actual big money cash our. Like non photoshopped bank statements or parking lot transactions. Bc gently caress banks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Burt Sexual posted:

I’ve yet to see an actual big money cash our. Like non photoshopped bank statements or parking lot transactions. Bc gently caress banks.
How would you know? When I sold my 12000 bitcoins to George Soros I just gave them the key to the wallet once the check cleared. I assume other large sales probably functioned similarly.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nessus posted:

How would you know? When I sold my 12000 bitcoins to George Soros I just gave them the key to the wallet once the check cleared. I assume other large sales probably functioned similarly.

Trust is the basis of all crypto. Trust me.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

zaurg posted:

GBS, how does the average crypto gambling schmuck react when the market crashes hard, a full 50% in a 10 day span (Jan7->Jan17), and the schmuck says "well drat now my crypto portfolio is only up 75%". How does that affect their outlook and confidence about bitcoin in general? This is happening a lot right? Sure you have these fake tweets about people losing their life savings/401k and what not, but the real people in this are saying what I quoted above. Doesn't that increase their confidence?

Why would you think that someone who is bullish on bitcoin would stop buying? We know 19k was the peak now in retrospect, but plenty of people were breezily talking about 40k and 100k being imminent. So why wouldn’t they have bought at 12k, 15k etc? This is averaging up their purchase price.

This assumption that everyone somehow bought in super low and is sitting on sick gains is a super flawed premise.

Also that’s extremely not how human brains work. We’re loss adverse. Losing hurts more than winning feels good. It’s even been quantified (it’s about 2-1). Bitcoin HODLers aren’t any different, unless they’re outright delusional, which they might be, but either way, eventually they won’t have Lambos and that reality is going to hurt, even if they still have enough for a Mustang. All they’ll be able to think of is the Lambo they don’t have, and then they really won’t want to lose that Mustang and that’s when they will SODL it all.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Straight White Shark posted:

The average investor* isn't inclined to see things that way. People tend to be insanely loss averse and are more inclined to fixate on losses than on gains. They also tend to measure their progress by recent high points instead of their starting point. Behavioral economics tries to quantify this stuff and it ain't pretty.

This is accurate.

I invested during the dot com bubble, poo poo companies that got featured on a show for doing something with the internet, even only in theory, would suddenly shoot up. I was up -so- much, an incredible amount even to me today that when the market started walking back down I couldn’t sell and make an awesome return but fixated on what the prices were at the peak. The one stock that went up the most as a percentage still sits in my account now worth 0 so I cannot even sell it. :lol:

Looking back it all seems so stupid but when you’re relatively new to investing and you’re in a bubble you can’t see it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

paternity suitor posted:

Why would you think that someone who is bullish on bitcoin would stop buying? We know 19k was the peak now in retrospect, but plenty of people were breezily talking about 40k and 100k being imminent. So why wouldn’t they have bought at 12k, 15k etc? This is averaging up their purchase price.

This assumption that everyone somehow bought in super low and is sitting on sick gains is a super flawed premise.

Also that’s extremely not how human brains work. We’re loss adverse. Losing hurts more than winning feels good. It’s even been quantified (it’s about 2-1). Bitcoin HODLers aren’t any different, unless they’re outright delusional, which they might be, but either way, eventually they won’t have Lambos and that reality is going to hurt, even if they still have enough for a Mustang. All they’ll be able to think of is the Lambo they don’t have, and then they really won’t want to lose that Mustang and that’s when they will SODL it all.

This is fud goons. Buy now on the dip.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

paternity suitor posted:

All good points.

Still plenty of people saying it'll hit 100k before 2019. Maybe delusional. Could be the same delusional schmucks who said it'd reach 10k.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sten Freak posted:

This is accurate.

I invested during the dot com bubble, poo poo companies that got featured on a show for doing something with the internet, even only in theory, would suddenly shoot up. I was up -so- much, an incredible amount even to me today that when the market started walking back down I couldn’t sell and make an awesome return but fixated on what the prices were at the peak. The one stock that went up the most as a percentage still sits in my account now worth 0 so I cannot even sell it. :lol:

Looking back it all seems so stupid but when you’re relatively new to investing and you’re in a bubble you can’t see it.

Dollar cost average tether. Free tip there.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Like the cost of maintaining bitcoin is already pretty much on par with the cost of maintaining all of the US's physical currency supply and nobody uses bitcoin.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

lazorexplosion posted:

Like the cost of maintaining bitcoin is already pretty much on par with the cost of maintaining all of the US's physical currency supply and nobody uses bitcoin.
Uhh but are you factoring the cost of literally every activity related to banking and also a couple of other random-rear end things we included purely for ideological red meat?

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

zaurg posted:

All good points.

Still plenty of people saying it'll hit 100k before 2019. Maybe delusional. Could be the same delusional schmucks who said it'd reach 10k.

Unless someone can produce a legitimate, viable product from bitcoin, that 100k would still just be built on the back of rabid speculation and blatant pyramid schemes and doomed to fail - hopefully in a way that's 10x more likely to get the scammers lynched than if the crash completes this time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why is the US govt allowing this ponzi scheme to continue? Because they get some tax $$ from it?
How long until Japan, China and some other big money hitters outlaw it? I'm guessing that once a critical mass of major players say no to their citizens it will die out.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

zaurg posted:

All good points.

quit focusing on get rich quick schemes and pay off your debt

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Why is the US govt allowing this ponzi scheme to continue? Because they get some tax $$ from it?
How long until Japan, China and some other big money hitters outlaw it? I'm guessing that once a critical mass of major players say no to their citizens it will die out.

You sound more delusional than the bullish bitcoin schmucks. :2cents:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Bitconnect BCC up to 25.6 from low of 5.69 a few hours ago.
:capitalism:

I guess BCC has just as much value as any other altcoin, even if the company that created it was a scam and the business model was a ponzi.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I hope the bottom falls out for good sooner rather than later, because the bigger it gets and the more intertwined the pure bullshit get-rich-quick schemes of cryptocurrency get with the regular economy, the more it's going to hurt when it does eventually fall apart.

The last goddamn thing I want is for those of us who went 'wow this seems like a really pointless thing to gamble massive sums on' to get burned when instead of, you know, fixing this shithole country's innumerable social problems, a bunch of goverment money gets spent bailing out the loving bootstraps libertarian whackjobs who went all in on bitcoin hoping to be tomorrow's robber barons and find themselves screwed.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

China has got to be close. They’ve banned icos and are rumbling about exchanges. The gov is all about control and they cannot control the flow of money when coins are moved around. And while there are probably 3 people with power in the government who give a poo poo about the environment they might not like so much energy being used for a useless task.

I don’t know about Japan but the US has been and appears to be very tolerant, as long as people pay their taxes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hailthefish posted:

I hope the bottom falls out for good sooner rather than later, because the bigger it gets and the more intertwined the pure bullshit get-rich-quick schemes of cryptocurrency get with the regular economy, the more it's going to hurt when it does eventually fall apart.

The last goddamn thing I want is for those of us who went 'wow this seems like a really pointless thing to gamble massive sums on' to get burned when instead of, you know, fixing this shithole country's innumerable social problems, a bunch of goverment money gets spent bailing out the loving bootstraps libertarian whackjobs who went all in on bitcoin hoping to be tomorrow's robber barons and find themselves screwed.

Even if the bottom doesn't fall out, I can't see Bitcoin ever seriously becoming a currency. The comical difficulty in paring it down to usable values outside of buying cars and houses (like spending 0.00531 BTC on an everyday transaction instead of $53), ridiculously high transaction fees, and even more ridiculous transaction speeds all combine to make Bitcoin utterly useless for actual trade. At its best, Bitcoin could become a commodity to hoard like gold bullion.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah it’s a Ponzi scheme but the market can stay irrational longer than I can stay solvent so I’m too scared to short it.

lazorexplosion posted:

To review the facts:
Bitcoin is a speculative bubble
Bitcoin is crashing
The people who make money off a bubble sell before it's done crashing

I mean we're dealing with a commodity that had a big speculative run up and 85% crash like literally just years ago, it's not like there's any real doubt over what's going to happen.

The important part isn’t what but when.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The long term (1-3 months) indicator I am looking at says an aggressive sell on 1-8 at 15500 and a strong sell on 1-10 at 14900. And it says that it is continuing tanking harder than ever still, even with the 'recovery' today.
Shorter term indicators are pointing to that this rally has come to an end too.

the unpredictable factors are the tether pumps though so who knows lol

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
My chart is pointing towards continuing fear with some hints of capitulation.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I loving hate the fed but I loving love tether!!!!!!!!!!!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
also someone plz make buttcoin with Kirk instead of Ron Paul and I won’t make th website

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Alpha Mayo posted:

Bitconnect BCC up to 25.6 from low of 5.69 a few hours ago.
:capitalism:

I guess BCC has just as much value as any other altcoin, even if the company that created it was a scam and the business model was a ponzi.

lmao

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

how many bitcoins do you own?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
lol these tether pumps are hilarious. just saw another 3 million pumped in in one buy

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ruggan posted:

so youre saying buy NOW?!

It is the first bear trap.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Technically, it’s called a market correction. New bloods to Crypto Space may call it a crash. From my experience, and I've been at this quite a while now, it can take up to 3 weeks average. Usually, we have flash market correction, where you see prices drop alongside bitcoins so quickly (and too quickly for you to seek shelter trading to tether xD) it will make your head spin. Then we have the more gradual decline which can take a week, give or take a few days. News (good or bad) equally affects crypto, especially political news, like it does the Stock market, so it’s no new thing. The market usually recovers after that so don’t sell.

I say that, well because to us in the Crypto Nation, we see things differently. Green is good and Red is bad, this is what you’ve come to know as true. Well, scrap that! In Crypto Space, we throw all that lovely knowledge away because the reverse is true for most cases.

Red is good because it gives many day traders the opportunity for huge gains, hehe, as well as good for you because it gives baghodlers (our word for long term investors) the opportunity to buy more, and buy in cheaper for those long positions into those great projects/technologies you’ve researched when you convert that spare fiat you have stashed away somewhere. :D

Same goes for green, only noobs (newbies) buy when the candle is green or ATH (at an all time high) because as we say in Crypto Space, what goes up, must surely come down.

So, welcome to the Crypto Nation and how we think. Now buy and hodl. lol.

All the best in your investments.

&ps.. i hope all these crypto-related jargon isn’t too much for you.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Technically, it’s called a market correction. New bloods to Crypto Space may call it a crash. From my experience, and I've been at this quite a while now, it can take up to 3 weeks average. Usually, we have flash market correction, where you see prices drop alongside bitcoins so quickly (and too quickly for you to seek shelter trading to tether xD) it will make your head spin. Then we have the more gradual decline which can take a week, give or take a few days. News (good or bad) equally affects crypto, especially political news, like it does the Stock market, so it’s no new thing. The market usually recovers after that so don’t sell.

I say that, well because to us in the Crypto Nation, we see things differently. Green is good and Red is bad, this is what you’ve come to know as true. Well, scrap that! In Crypto Space, we throw all that lovely knowledge away because the reverse is true for most cases.

Red is good because it gives many day traders the opportunity for huge gains, hehe, as well as good for you because it gives baghodlers (our word for long term investors) the opportunity to buy more, and buy in cheaper for those long positions into those great projects/technologies you’ve researched when you convert that spare fiat you have stashed away somewhere. :D

Same goes for green, only noobs (newbies) buy when the candle is green or ATH (at an all time high) because as we say in Crypto Space, what goes up, must surely come down.

"New Paradigm!!"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
baghodlers (our word for long term investors)

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

What? Governments that issue their own currency, such as the ones you named, don't fund themselves by collecting taxes.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This guy knows what’s up. He should start a fund and name it something fancy like Bitcoin Savings and Trust or Long Term Capital Management.

Ps source your quotes

Pps What happened to Atlas? Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016