Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Microcline posted:

1. The most important thing is to add this to your rc file.

Do what huh? :downs:

Looking at Reddit and the Tavern leaves me even more confused. Is there a dummies guide to editing init.txt?

EDIT: Oh boy I get to start a new page with me being stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

queserasera posted:

Do what huh? :downs:

Looking at Reddit and the Tavern leaves me even more confused. Is there a dummies guide to editing init.txt?

EDIT: Oh boy I get to start a new page with me being stupid.

It'll be <install dir>\settings\init.txt on Windows. The dummies guide is that it loads lines in order, ignoring anything that starts with "#", so you can just copy+paste the lines and save the file.

There's a big guide to what all of the options mean

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/docs/options_guide.txt

and you can do crazy poo poo like program the game to play itself (qw) but for the most part goons don't read it and just pass around a few important snippets. For instance, hp_warning is the percentage at which LOW HITPOINT WARNING occurs and force_more_message means that you have to stop mashing buttons and press spacebar to acknowledge the message. Most people also add lines like

force_more_message += .*orbs? of fire.* comes? into view

for the game's most dangerous enemies. For example, the bottom of your init.txt might look like

code:
##### Ancient versions ##############################################
# If you're used to the interface of ancient versions of Crawl, you may
# get back parts of it by uncommenting the following options:

# include                 = 034_command_keys.txt

# And to revert monster glyph and colouring changes:

# include                 = 052_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 060_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 071_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 080_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 0.9_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 0.12_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 0.13_monster_glyphs.txt
# include                 = 0.14_monster_glyphs.txt

#### Messages & display

hp_warning = 50

runrest_stop_message += Your transformation is almost over

fmm := force_more_message
fmm += calcifying dust hits you 
fmm += You fall through a shaft
fmm += LOW HITPOINT WARNING
fmm += don't die
fmm += You are starving
fmm += .*orbs? of fire.* comes? into view
fmm += .*pandemonium* comes? into view
fmm += ancient lich.* comes? into view
fmm += .*greater mumm.* comes? into view
fmm += .*(s|player) ghost.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Fiend.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Tzitzimitl.* comes? into view
fmm += .*curse skull.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Hell Sentinel.* comes? into view
fmm += .*shining eye.* comes? into view
fmm += .*caustic shrike.* comes? into view
fmm += .*juggernaut.* comes? into view
fmm += You have finished your manual
fmm += Found .* abyssal rune of Zot
fmm += (Agnes|Aizul|Antaeus|Asmodeus|Asterion|Azrael|Blork the orc|Boris|Cerebov|Crazy Yiuf|Dispater|Dissolution|Donald|Dowan|Duvessa|Edmund|the Enchantress|Ereshkigal|Erica|Erolcha|Eustachio|Fannar|Frances|Frederick|Gastronok|Geryon|Gloorx Vloq|Grinder|Grum|Harold|Ignacio|Ijyb|Ilsuiw|Jessica|Jorgrun|Jory|Joseph|Josephine|Khufu|Kirke|Lamia|the Lernaean hydra|Lom Lobon|Louise|Mara|Margery|Maud|Maurice|Menkaure|Mennas|Mnoleg|Murray|Natasha|Nergalle|Nessos|Nikola|Norris|Pikel|Plog|Polyphemus|Prince Ribbit|Psyche|Purgy|Robin|Roxanne|the royal jelly|Rupert|Saint Roka|the Serpent of Hell|Sigmund|Snorg|Sonja|Terence|Tiamat|Urug|Vashnia|Wiglaf|Xtahua).*into view

Microcline fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 17, 2018

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Gnolls feel really OP, maybe I'm just getting lucky with Xom not loving me over awful enough but I'm at five runes right now and I have literally never had a chaos knight run as successful as this one. I did find the autumn katana, Piercer, and a decent randart chainmail after Lair, but even before I got those I was shredding through everything past the first few floors. Everything I find is something I can use, and it's kind of crazy just how much more versatility I have compared to a character from another race.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Here's mine, might be a little more comprehensive.

quote:

#Even the default stop at 50% is too late for a new player to really consider escape options.
autofight_stop = 60
hp_warning = 60
mp_warning = 25
default_manual_training = true

#Makes resting and exploring a little more interactive, IMO
#Also makes you rest before you start an autoexplore
explore_delay = 5
rest_delay = 5
explore_auto_rest = true

#Pay attention when this poo poo happens
force_more_message += calcifying dust hits you
force_more_message += wielding a * of distortion
force_more_message += Xom

#Will force-more every time the listed monsters do anything.
#Monsters are listed for being nontrivial no matter XL.
force_more_message += shining eye * into view
force_more_message += entropy weaver * into view
force_more_message += flayed ghost * into view
force_more_message += sphinx * into view
force_more_message += neqoxec * into view
force_more_message += 's ghost * Dr

#Auto open skills on new char
{
local need_skills_opened = true
function ready()
if you.turns() == 0 and need_skills_opened then
need_skills_opened = false
crawl.sendkeys("m")
end
end
}

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Oh yeah, that reminds me of another request for gooncrawl: Orc gets at least one more level

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010

Speleothing posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me of another request for gooncrawl: Orc gets at least one more level

Yeah I kinda liked that you had to go down and back up and down again sometimes.

Also, just found a stack of 3 acquirements in Lair:2. Didn't know that was possible, good thing I don't believe in portent.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

regular mike posted:

Also, just found a stack of 3 acquirements in Lair:2. Didn't know that was possible, good thing I don't believe in portent.

Enjoy your +0 hat and -8 double sword with *DRAIN.

The third one will be good though. Good for some backgrounds, I mean. Terrible for yours.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You'll acquire weapon and it'll be one of the living weapons from the hall of blades, ready to wreck your poo poo.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if oka weapon gifts were invoked and spawned as hostile animated weapons

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tollymain posted:

what if oka weapon gifts were invoked and spawned as hostile animated weapons

Sounds more like a trog thing to be honest. "I gift you this antimagic Exeuctioner's Axe. IF YOU CAN BEST IT IN SINGLE COMBAT!"

[EDIT]Not that it sounds fun, mind you. Having weapons spawn around you to kill you from piety gain that you get from killing other things sounds like a recipe for getting murdered by your God mid-fight, and if you wanted that you can just go Xom.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zaodai posted:

Sounds more like a trog thing to be honest. "I gift you this antimagic Exeuctioner's Axe. IF YOU CAN BEST IT IN SINGLE COMBAT!"

[EDIT]Not that it sounds fun, mind you. Having weapons spawn around you to kill you from piety gain that you get from killing other things sounds like a recipe for getting murdered by your God mid-fight, and if you wanted that you can just go Xom.

Well, he specified 'invoked' so I assumed you got to pick when you had your duel with a flying axe. Like a Ru sacrifice option: it just shows up on your ability list once in a while.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Can't wait for the rng gods to spawn a flaming triple sword while at clvl 10 because I invoked to soon.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

World Famous W posted:

Can't wait for the rng gods to spawn a flaming triple sword while at clvl 10 because I invoked to soon.

I thought it was bad enough when Oka spawned something I couldn't use. Now we want him to spawn things I can't use that will TRY TO KILL ME.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
would it be that hard to scale them to player level or something

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Grandpa Okawaru definitely needs a boost. But it would be better for the weapons to be Neutral so you can let them be or decide to attack after you've seen it. Or let them deal with threats like freed slaves do

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Araganzar posted:

I thought it was bad enough when Oka spawned something I couldn't use. Now we want him to spawn things I can't use that will TRY TO KILL ME.

Okawarude.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Grandpa Okawaru definitely needs a boost. But it would be better for the weapons to be Neutral so you can let them be or decide to attack after you've seen it. Or let them deal with threats like freed slaves do
This is legitimately an excellent idea, and really sells me on the whole involve + piety for CL scaled dancing weapon thing. Is it a Brother In Arms, or a new toy? You decide!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Araganzar posted:

All those deadly arrows.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oka gives ya ammo through old trap interactions. Just a poo poo ton of arrow traps ya have to disarm. Also random darts again!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they could send an armed warrior of some kind instead of a dancing weapon

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

they could send an armed warrior of some kind instead of a dancing weapon
What kind of weenie bullshit is this?

(This is probably the most sensible answer, though, and doesn't require having to code Dancing Armor. As neat as that would be.)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okawaru sends an einherjar from their great war hall, to engage in combat with any and all takers (i mean it's supposed to be you but hey monsters are a good fight too) until their body is destroyed and spirit carried back to the afterlife

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're reaching critical mass of 'something that's actually interesting' so multiple tavern posters are perking their ears up and are ready to start yelling about how okawaru is fine because they're functional already

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

okawaru sends an einherjar from their great war hall, to engage in combat with any and all takers (i mean it's supposed to be you but hey monsters are a good fight too) until their body is destroyed and spirit carried back to the afterlife
Feature request: This, with einherjar type/equipment scaling with CL. Magic weapons and armor are guaranteed. It's not guaranteed they'll be good.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Johnny Joestar posted:

you're reaching critical mass of 'something that's actually interesting' so multiple tavern posters are perking their ears up and are ready to start yelling about how okawaru is fine because they're functional already

Or more likely, that any discussion about improving Oka means he is not fine and thus should be removed.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I did a dumb thing and tried to run a ziggurat while hauling the Orb with me. Five or six levels in I get jumped by a horde of angels so I shuffled off to the next one to regen up and keep moving. Then a Pan Lord with Summon Greater Demon makes his move and the storm of Torment and Orb not giving me any blinks forced my hand. I Death's Doored myself, blew a hole in the enemies with a couple shattershot rounds and scampered to the portal out with a couple minor demons on me. I get the warning that DDoor is going to run out, so instead of fighting them I just decided to risk it, step onto the stairs up and took them.

That secures the Gnoll and Skald wins for me, filling in that matrix to merely Mummy/Tengu Wanderer left of the ones available in the current version.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I always wondered if one could do that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

I always wondered if one could do that.

And I'll say with certainty, DON'T DO IT. It's a hubris trap. It's very similar to doing Nature's Ally 3 (enter Tomb for the first time and get the Golden Rune while carrying the Orb) except more with more roulette. My low cache of consumables clearly points me out as somebody who doesn't quite know when to bail out of a situation

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I haven't played much Crawl in a while, so I've been just playing random characters, which clearly cannot go wrong. Anyway, I get a DECK and a fight with Yiuf. He knocks me down to 1 hp so I start to leg it and then this happens

What happened :psyduck: I guess I could go to the IRC channel and try to play with the bots to figure it out but it's been at least 5 years so I probably don't remember any commands

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Was he poisoned?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Oh, so he was. It's been too long.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hi, please make a summonable monster that explodes after x turns that is insanely spammable and causes other copies of itself to explode if they get hit in the blast so i can finally play diablo 2 corpse explosion necromancer thank you so much

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So are Akraisiac stats dead or what? I'm not getting any new games save, even playiong on CAO.

E:

PMush Perfect posted:

Here's mine, might be a little more comprehensive.

Why do you have Xom highlighted?

E2: I wonder where should I go now. [ur=https://pastebin.com/dS8ViwD0]MiFi of Okawaru[/url] with decent offence but bad offence (MR, rCorr - that's all). I've done Dungeon, Lair, and Orc. Almost got killed right at the Elf:1 stairs, took like a dozen runs to clear Orc:2 properly, had to dump everything to kill the fire giant at the Depths entrance. Haven't tried Swamp or Snake. My problem is that throughout the game I've massed barely no worthy jewellery, and like 15 different unique armours with trash AC and occasional resistance on them.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 19, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Go do Swamp. You've got an axe that can deal with the common Hydra and the occasional animate tree/thorn hunter and can possibly score swamp dragon armour for rPois in order to do Snake without having to be careful. And ditch some of that armour that you have duplicates in; "Nuifis" isn't good and "of Ereb" is already surpassed by "of the New World". That +8 chain mail with rC is still rather good if you want to balance out your defenses instead of that plain plate armour.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 19, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Swamp was fine but Pit then killed me nearly instantly. Nagas were shooting poo poo with insane damage.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Swamp was fine but Pit then killed me nearly instantly. Nagas were shooting poo poo with insane damage.

First, turn off every other skill and train Invocations to 8. Wear the rc+ chain.

Generally at this point you want to be getting resists. You got screwed in Orc, 2 antique shops and a bookshop and none of the randart armors you bought and IDed helped you.

You want to get through Swamp, wear Swamp Dragon Armor if you can't get rpois. Then you can do Snake if you're careful with shock serpents.

Rage on your axe is strong but with that MR- you want to replace it fairly soon, the freezing exec axe is as good as you are going to get short of a lucky gift.

You also have no ranged attack which is a bad idea, get 8-12 pts in throwing or 10 in xbow for a hand xbow. Minos are also great with bows and regular xbows.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sounds like this advice is too late, but yeah.

Also, stair dance like a motherfucker in Snake.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah advice is a bit late but much appreciated :v: I totally ignored ranged stuff (how far should I train it?). Also why invocations to 8 in that case?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah advice is a bit late but much appreciated :v: I totally ignored ranged stuff (how far should I train it?). Also why invocations to 8 in that case?

If you don't train Invocations, it's like you're playing with no god. People think the main thing with Okawaru is the gifts, but it's the powers of Heroism and Finesse that truly make him useful. Have you ever thought "I want my character to be literally twice as good as it is"? Finesse does that in a combat context, and it costs piety, a renewable resource. 8 is probably enough to use Finesse somewhat reliably? If not, you can get more.

(Similarly, Trog's berserk makes you probably 5x as good, but with the inability to react to change, the post-combat slow/passout, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I personally get Throwing up to 1.0au to throw a tomahawk. Heroism will push that up to mindelay while still being usable outside of it.

• Locked thread