Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I want to build the bug-car to chase my cats around. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Don't let your kids use YouTube unattended, JFC :stonk:.

I don't know if you know this, but there is literally a billion-dollar industry in using algorithms to create computer-generated (or algorithm-picked, human-generated, in the case of those Spiderman/Elsa stuff) videos to use kids as clickbot networks to fund and support big-name YouTube personalities.

That’s... disgusting.

The internet is baaad.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Don't let your kids use YouTube unattended, JFC :stonk:.

I don't know if you know this, but there is literally a billion-dollar industry in using algorithms to create computer-generated (or algorithm-picked, human-generated, in the case of those Spiderman/Elsa stuff) videos to use kids as clickbot networks to fund and support big-name YouTube personalities.
I didn’t grow up with this stuff and I’m not a parent so maybe I’m missing something but I have nfc how any but the most organized and attentive parents could be keeping their kids from watching YouTube unsupervised for hours a day.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

President Ark posted:

doesn't the 70 bucks get you the actual software you need to use the cardboard thingamajigs for their intended purpose anyway

Yep. I think they said that cardboard-only sets will be available as well, presumably for those who want to get it digitally or those who already have it and just broke the first one beyond repair.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

I am 38 years old and still have quite a few pristine books and a number of toys from when I was very young. Is this so unusual? Do so many people really not teach their kids to take care of poo poo, or what? I know these things won't last that long (the robot for sure has a lot of moving parts) but they should at least last months and not hours I expect.

do you have many toys from when you were a kid that were made of cardboard?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn’t grow up with this stuff and I’m not a parent so maybe I’m missing something but I have nfc how any but the most organized and attentive parents could be keeping their kids from watching YouTube unsupervised for hours a day.

I was gonna say, my brother and his sister divorced and they have split custody of the kids. This means that they are shlepped around between 2-5 different caretakers (some older/more out of touch than others) every month. Not a whole lotta leeway for in-depth monitoring of their second-to-second actions there

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Samurai Sanders posted:

Don't give kids access to devices? Don't give your kids the WiFi password? Take the router with you when you aren't at home?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've spent the last year with a 3 and a 5-year-old and it's not that difficult. You control the devices. Every device has parental controls, there's a reason Nintendo makes it mandatory to go through the setup when you get a new console, even if it's just to be like "nah, I don't want to enable Parental Controls." It's pretty fuckin' easy, compared to like 90% of the poo poo parenting has to cover. And I'm not talking about the goony-goon "Imma set up a VPN and private blocklist on the router" poo poo, this is basic stuff. One of the 5 YO's friends spends 100% of her time on an Amazon tablet when they have a sleepover and even then it's easy to control access to YT in particular. Our 5YO and the 3YO both use tablets, but also watch Netflix (kids mode) and play with *gasp* real toys.

I don't mean that to sound condescending to you in particular, as you seemed to be expressing a valid and reasonable question. Letting a child click on the suggested videos in the 9-video tile at the end of a YT video for hours on end is lovely, lazy parenting. You don't need to helicopter, but checking in on them every hour or two is basic bitch stuff for a parent. Hell, most kids won't let you let them go unattended for more than 5, 6 minutes, tops for the first handful of years anyway.

At home, you set controls on the devices themselves, and have a password on the router. With babysitters that may not be at your house, you let the caretaker know about no YT if it's their device. This isn't rocket science.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

do you have many toys from when you were a kid that were made of cardboard?

Yeah, books. Books I read a lot.

Also, over a dozen board games.

I have all the data cards from the back of my GI Joes.

My brother is almost 50 and he has cardboard Star wars and micronauts toys from the 70s still.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, books. Books I read a lot.

Also, over a dozen board games.

I have all the data cards from the back of my GI Joes.

My brother is almost 50 and he has cardboard Star wars and micronauts toys from the 70s still.

Hell, most old cardboard game boxes out in the wilds of thrift stores and flea markets survive pretty well.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://78.media.tumblr.com/236a65eea0428a6e4a62589b12da7c6e/tumblr_p2qd8ikAyd1szcxzqo1_500.gif

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

nintendo please

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Kins posted:

Current word going around from an IGN France article is that Nintendo will post the cardboard design patterns online for free themselves, so if you have a printer that can handle cardboard you can make your own replacements. You'll still need the Switch game to actually do a thing with them, though...

You dont need a cardboard printer you make a stencil. Its not a laborious process to make a birdhouse for your gameboy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rolo posted:

That’s... disgusting.

The internet is baaad.

prepare to have your brain melt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBWf6Zvn0jQ

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KingSlime posted:

I was gonna say, my brother and his sister divorced and they have split custody of the kids.

I’ve read this sentence like 4 times and I think I found something they should worry about more than YouTube.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm honestly mostly interested in the most basic of the games: the RC Racer. It's just an interface that lets you vibrate the joycon's top half or the back half. It's so simple, I bet some wacky poo poo will come from that. Have five Switches running at once, ten joycons you can control the vibration on, surely some cool poo poo can be done using that.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Rolo posted:

Ive read this sentence like 4 times and I think I found something they should worry about more than YouTube.

Oh good, it's not just me maybe failing at reading comprehension or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Labo sold out on Amazon? I can’t even access the page for the variety kit.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

I’ve read this sentence like 4 times and I think I found something they should worry about more than YouTube.

ahaha yeah i've been writing all day, i'm fried holmes

i'm keeping it as-is >:[

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Lobster posted:

Oh good, it's not just me maybe failing at reading comprehension or something.

“It’s late and I’ve been playing too much Picross, what logic am I missing that avoids this unholiest of unions?”

KingSlime posted:

ahaha yeah i've been writing all day, i'm fried holmes

i'm keeping it as-is >:[

:respek:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If you can't fix cardboard I don't pity you

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Bloop posted:

I am 38 years old and still have quite a few pristine books and a number of toys from when I was very young. Is this so unusual? Do so many people really not teach their kids to take care of poo poo, or what? I know these things won't last that long (the robot for sure has a lot of moving parts) but they should at least last months and not hours I expect.

I always go back to this one example when questions like this come up.

I have Rock Band, and I still have my original RB1 band kit. Everything works, the drums work great, no complaints. I would read stories online of people saying stuff like "I went through my 3rd bass drum pedal, these things are trash!" or talking about how their guitar no longer registers up strums, or their drums now randomly drop notes. I thought I just had good equipment and these guys didn't or something.

Then I had my teenage cousins over to play Rock Band one day with me. The amount of force and recklessness that was shown when playing plastic instruments was hard to watch. I am honestly surprised that my instruments lasted with them playing with them just one time. People treat their stuff in all sorts of ways. For every person out there that delicately takes their switch in and out of the dock, there is the person that just slams it in and wonders how their screen got scratched.

Anyways... who cares if they break this stuff. I think I read that they are making refill kits? Just have fun with it. I don't know why people put such high value on video games. Families will easily drop $60 on a 2 hour movie that they only see once, but have serious hesitations about spending the same amount on a game that will give them an experience that lasts 5x-10x longer. Chances are that by the time it breaks they will lose interest in it and be onto the next game.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

President Ark posted:

i also don't think i'm the target market

Really? What makes you think that?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Zone of the Enders sequel that's labo exclusive please god

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I predict that in November/December, "adult" "gamers" will be complaining online that they can't find a Switch in stores to play Bayonetta 3/Metroid Prime/Pokemon/Dark Souls/Whatever else is coming out because every parent is buying 2 Switches and Labo expansion packs for little Johnny and Susie, and how dare they have cheap fun while I need to consuming sophisticated video games.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
After reading up on it more tonight, the only thing I am disappointed with is that it seems like the variety kit and robot kit come with their own game software, rather than just a generic Labo software cartridge that is updated with DLC for each kit. So I think we can expect each new kit beyond these two to also come with their own cartridge.

Will be interesting to see if they do a eShop download that works with the refill kits, or if we will really need a individual cartridge for each toycon kit.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Self quoting from durability chat in the previous thread:

quote:

A lot of people are just really rough on things without realizing it, and think that the way they slam their poo poo around is normal. Then they blame the product when it breaks and think that things like screen protectors and phone cases are necessary and the people who don't use them are the ones who are "careless".

My launch day GBA still has a scratch free screen despite years of carrying it in my front left pocket with nothing covering the screen. I tried to scratch the screen of a modern phone and couldn't do it without resorting to a ceramic file. BUT MY SWITCH GOT SCRATCHED AFTER ONLY ONE DAY OF CARRYING IT AROUND LOOSE IN MY BACKPACK FULL OF SILVERWARE, THIS IS BULLSHIT!!

I have a co-worker who breaks his phone screen about once every three months and constantly complains about how flimsy modern phones all are while he death grips the phone and presses on the screen so hard you can hear plastic creaking from the next room.

I too have lots of books and toys from when I was 5-8 years old, breaking stuff wasn't something that happened on a regular basis because my parents taught me to not break stuff like a shithead. Some people are just really hard on poo poo.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 18, 2018

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jesus, you turn into a car when you squat.
I love that way more than press X then Y.
If that robot game has Miyamotos focus more than 6 months it's gonna be sweet.
Big O!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm glad that Nintendo is making the templates freely available, because at a $70 price point scalpers are going to make these kits unobtainable for years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

creationist believer posted:

I predict that in November/December, "adult" "gamers" will be complaining online that they can't find a Switch in stores to play Bayonetta 3/Metroid Prime/Pokemon/Dark Souls/Whatever else is coming out because every parent is buying 2 Switches and Labo expansion packs for little Johnny and Susie, and how dare they have cheap fun while I need to consuming sophisticated video games.

Yes, having some good ol' cheap fun with their two 300 dollar consoles and cardboard boxes that cost 80 bux each. Back to basics

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

The piano is cool as hell and I completely forgot about the IR camera. I'm interested to see how the toycons interact with the games, or if they mostly become an extension of a cardboard toy.

Like the piano: I'd dig if there was some sort of light rhythm game. Splatoon tracks even better.

If it was just - well, now you have a cardboard keyboard. While neat, might not justify the purchase. If the games justify the peripherals, I'll bite and maybe glitter the poo poo out of a fishing rod.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Reggie gave a few comments to TIME about the possible future for Labo.

On the future:

quote:

Can [the Toy-Cons] be incorporated into other forms of gameplay? Certainly ... But right now we think if we effectively communicate the power of the idea with Nintendo Labo [and] really enable players to make their creations, personalize them, and enjoy the [inherent] gameplay experiences ... We think that’s going to be a great way to start and then progress down the path.

On third-party Labo games:

quote:

While there’s nothing to announce today, certainly if we’re successful with Labo, it can create future opportunities.

So, in short, this isn't a one-and-done thing.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Gonna make one shaky litter box. Eat it cats!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really, really doubt this goes beyond silly gimmick, like those stupid steering wheel wiimote holders no one ever used when we played mario kart

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I really, really doubt this goes beyond silly gimmick, like those stupid steering wheel wiimote holders no one ever used when we played mario kart

That's what it is yeah.

It's not going to like ruin Nintendo but it will be one of those things people make jokes about

Like "lol remember this thing"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Dude they say every single peripheral isn't a one-and-done thing. That reads like a generic PR response to me

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Kins posted:

So, in short, this isn't a one-and-done thing.

The numbering of the kits (Toy-con 01 and Toy-Con 02) sort of imply that these are just the first two of a series of kits. The fact that it's called 01 and not just 1 implies, to me at least, that they see having 10+ kits if it is successful.

Unless this is like a Nintendo Land type thing where they just did all their ideas to showcase it at the start and have nothing in reserve for what's next.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like "lol remember this thing"

lol remember the virtual boy, that looked so loving awesome in whatever magazine I saw it in.

and the power glove.

and the super scope.

Nintendo has a long history of this kind of thing don't they.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Chiming in with the "I have things from my childhood still intact" brigade. I still have my childhood copy of Goodnight Moon I got THE DAY I WAS BORN and while it's by no means in pristine condition I'm still planning on passing it down to my own future kids, it is still perfectly readable and holds together.

That being said I've lost like 50% of any games I owned before I was 15 because I was incredibly irresponsible. They're still in the house though, they turn up from time to time. Last was a motherload of 10 DS games in one of those multi-cart storage things.

I think Labo is good, and I'm probably going to get the Variety pack even though I don't have kids yet, just because of the look of sheer joy my 78yo engineer father had when I showed him the video. He has arthritis and can't build exactly WITH me, but he can at least be in the same room and watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

lol remember the virtual boy, that looked so loving awesome in whatever magazine I saw it in.

and the power glove.

and the super scope.

Nintendo has a long history of this kind of thing don't they.

I mean I give them credit for at least trying even if it doesn't always work out

• Locked thread