Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Cyborg 009, Gatchaman, Bubblegum Crisis, Ronin Warriors

Caveat and fair warning; Do not watch the recent Cyborg 009 movie. Go for the 1990's tv series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If parody is acceptable, Astro Fighter Sunred, which is about a surly burnout of a superhero and his exceedingly polite and conscientious nemesis.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the recent tatsunoko mashup Infini-T Force is also good, though it's more in line with modern sentai/toku sensibilities than Power Rangers.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Wark Say posted:

A friend asked me today "What's the most Power Rangers anime you can recommend?" and I don't know what would be appropriate. What say you, goons?

Samurai Flamenco

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Caveat and fair warning; Do not watch the recent Cyborg 009 movie. Go for the 1990's tv series.

Do watch the recent 009 vs Devilman miniseries, however.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah that was more of a general franchise rec than specific for any version

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tarodia posted:

Samurai Flamenco
:raise:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! From what I know of the guy, he was like 6-7 when Power Rangers started showing up in Mexican TV, so it's a bit of a Nostalgia-tinged thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If he's interested in literally power rangers there's a pile of well subbed toku stuff out there, new and old.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's not anime, but Kamen Rider is what all the Power Rangers esque shows are based off of.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

They form a literal Sentai at one point with mechs and all

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I started watching Excel Saga, and it's a bit difficult to watch because there's that whole annoying as gently caress, manic female lead character thing that seemed to be quite prominent with 90s comedy anime. I'm tolerant of annoying characters to a pretty large degree, but if I can't understand what the hell you're saying, it's probably a good idea to take some drat ambien.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats what subtitles are for

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Davincie posted:

thats what subtitles are for

I was watching the dub, tho

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr Interweb posted:

I was watching the dub, tho

there's your problem

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If you don't like obnoxious female leads Excel Saga is probably not the venue you are looking for.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
If I watch exactly one isekai anime, which one should it be? Is it Konosuba?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jenny Angel posted:

Escaflowne is cool

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jenny Angel posted:

Twelve Kingdoms

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Jenny Angel posted:

Yes.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

Watch exactly three instead. Konosuba, Youjo Senki and No Game No Life are all very strong.

Then watch Log Horizon.

Then watch Now and Then, Here and There and suffer.

(There are actually quite a few good Isekai huh? They sure do get drowned out by all the poo poo though)

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna watch Konosuba because two people recommended it and I was obviously curious about it in the first place. Then, depending on how much I like it, I'll watch some of the others you guys have mentioned

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

like half the jokes in konosuba presume youve already seen isekai shows

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Davincie posted:

Konosuba was the first Isekai I saw and it worked just fine for me. As long as you've played D&D or a video game I think you will enjoy it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no game no life is bad

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Davincie posted:

I'm pretty sure Konosuba was the first isekai I saw (not counting older anime like Inuyasha that predated the deluge of modern trope-clones) and it was still hilarious.

I did have a vague sense of the typical isekai tropes, as in: an NEET/otaku protagonist dies in a car accident and is invariably reincarnated in an RPG-like world where he's surrounded by cute girls.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Re-zero was pretty explosively popular a little while back, for good reason.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i wanted to say, re:zero has a bit of a slow start but it's a cool story about a really weak dork who gets really emotionally attached to people learning that the best way for him to save everyone with his power is to actually work with and understand people instead of trying on his own to be an invincible hero

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How's The Slayers Revolution seasons? I've been watching the first three seasons again and I forgot how good the show was. The new stuff as good as the old stuff? Worse?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jimbot posted:

How's The Slayers Revolution seasons? I've been watching the first three seasons again and I forgot how good the show was. The new stuff as good as the old stuff? Worse?
I don't think it's as good but it's not significantly worse and part of it might just be watching new slayers stuff without the tinge of nostalgia. Regardless I'd say it's worth checking out, I don't remember it doing anything like, outright bad with the material or ruining it or anything, it was just more Slayers

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Endorph's assessment is essentially mine, word for word. Once the veneer of "holy poo poo, new Slayers" wore off the show kind of just became OK but it was still ultimately a solid enough Slayers experience. The new OPs are predictably catchy.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Jenny Angel posted:

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm gonna watch Konosuba because two people recommended it and I was obviously curious about it in the first place. Then, depending on how much I like it, I'll watch some of the others you guys have mentioned

This is a legitimate and wise decision, just be aware that Konosuba is a parody of isekai (as well as fantasy stories and games generally) and doesn't reflect isekai so much as ruthlessly mock it. Which is all to the good considering how much lazy isekai schlock there is out there.

That said, its a lot like experiencing Star Wars by watching Spaceballs. You kind of get the point, but it's not really the same.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

yeah i wanted to say, re:zero has a bit of a slow start but it's a cool story about a really weak dork who gets really emotionally attached to people learning that the best way for him to save everyone with his power is to actually work with and understand people instead of trying on his own to be an invincible hero

Yeah re:zero is cool because it's an isekai where the protagonist is actually more or less a normal dude thrown into a fantasy world where everyone except him has absurd power levels. He has to solve his problems through developing interpersonal relationships with people who actually can get things done, rather than going through a training arc so he can hit obstacles with a sword hard enough to make them go away, which is actually a pretty cool take on the concept.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

re:zero isn't amazing, some of the drama is a little forced and the white whale fight really doesn't land in my opinion, but the characters really sell it and it does have some moments where the drama really lands. solid show all in all. Also the villain is so obnoxious and overdone that he loops back around into being amazing. It helps that you can tell the animators and voice actor were having a blast with him.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

grimgar is another isekai anime that i really liked. it's fairly divisive, a lot of people thought it was really boring and a lot of people (like me) thought it was fantastic.

it's about a group of people dropped into a new world with no memory of the old world (though they are able to subconsciously remember some vague stuff, at one point a character carves a chunk of wood into a simple toy plane, though he certainly has no idea what a plane is). the most competent members of the bunch get together to form an all-star group of rear end kickers, and the protagonists are a group formed from the dregs that didn't really make the cut. they're somewhat forced into the life of murdering goblins for pocket change, and constantly struggle with basic survival (it isn't until like, halfway through the anime that they're making enough money to be comfortably sure that they can afford a meal every day). the show does this really cool thing where it regularly steps back and just shows you the characters living their day to day lives, outside of the adventures, and the ways they're each silently dealing with their grief and trauma.

the fight scenes are also really good, the choreography went all out on demonstrating just how much confidence and competence the group lacks, and the backgrounds are some really gorgeous paintings. however, it certainly bears mentioning that there's some really obvious, really embarrassing animation errors.

i'd recommend checking out an episode or two of it and see how you feel about it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

jng2058 posted:

This is a legitimate and wise decision, just be aware that Konosuba is a parody of isekai (as well as fantasy stories and games generally) and doesn't reflect isekai so much as ruthlessly mock it. Which is all to the good considering how much lazy isekai schlock there is out there.

That said, its a lot like experiencing Star Wars by watching Spaceballs. You kind of get the point, but it's not really the same.

To be fair though I don't think many or any of the good isekai shows actually follow whats been established as the isekai formula. Most of them are thorough subversions of it in fact.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

no game no life is bad
:same:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nephthys posted:

To be fair though I don't think many or any of the good isekai shows actually follow whats been established as the isekai formula. Most of them are thorough subversions of it in fact.

Oh the "established isekai formula" is definitely the problem with the sub-genre. "20s-something dude dies randomly in Tokyo, wakes up in a fantasy RPG where he's got some ridiculously OP stat or power or whatever and proceeds to effortlessly steamroll all opposition while his harem of fantasy cliche girls fawns over him" is pretty much garbage. Whether it's In Another World with a Smartphone or Knights & Magic to name a couple of recent examples, the basic power fantasy of "a guy like me can go into a fantasy world and just lay waste to the place" is incredibly boring. Even Gate which is mostly the same deal except with guns and tanks. Re:zero is probably the best of that otherwise tepid formula if only because of how much poo poo the protagonist has to go through to get things done. And in that context, Konosuba really is the best of the lot because it's a hilarious send up of that specific story, and funny in its own right even if its the first isekai show you see.

All that said, though, if we take the broader view of the sub-genre to its roots of "Another World", ie stories in which our real world (more or less) blends in some way with with a fantasy one, then there's a lot more to be had than the formulaic stuff or parodies thereof. Restaurant to Another World for instance. Heck the Japanese title of the show, Isekai Shokudou has "isekai" in the title!

In short, I'm arguing that "isekai" should and indeed does, mean more than the formulaic power fantasy crap. Shows like Restaurant to Another World (earth cooking is best), The Devil is a Part-Timer (fantasy villain ends up on earth and has to get a job), Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (dragons invade the life of a computer programmer in Tokyo), or Visions of Escaflowne (we were isekai before isekai was cool) are more interesting aspects of isekai that should be explored once you've finished Konosuba.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

jng2058 posted:

Knights & Magic to name a couple of recent examples, the basic power fantasy of "a guy like me can go into a fantasy world and just lay waste to the place"

That one isn't quite so guilty. He's OP early, but then people in the fantasy world start reverse engineering his work and putting their own spins on it so the power level evens out somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Peesekai