Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lmao boycott kimchi and make the Koreans pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

some of these post not knowing what bankruptcy is....

:discourse:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Remember the good old days when people would lose their shirts on penny stocks

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My new scam bitcoin/bitcoin?

Two thirty something women, dressed in loose fitting linen with large hats, stroll leisurely around a botanical garden.

Woman 1: I've been meaning to ask you where you're getting your money from after Fred passed. You look so good and happy.
Woman 2: thanks friend. I found a new, natural, organic way to make money from home. *turns directly to camera*

It's called HealthCoin. Scientists have discovered, through the magic of mathematics, a natural forked currency called the block chain. This wonderful discovery allows us to become wealthy with items you already have in your home. It's free to get started and you'll be enjoying your health coins and wealth the same day! And the best part is, it's based only off natural organic patterns found in some of the most essential math we know, like prime numbers and the Fibonacci sequence. There are no artificial sweeteners, no selling to clients, and no harmful extracting from the earth. Visit MyHealthCoin42.biz to get your free information presentation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Is there actually anything that drives one coinbase to rise other than blind speculation? It seems like most of these aren't usable for purchases, and as such are all purely gambling based on what you think the market will do.

Surely you could invent a coin, trade it to yourself for like 2k, drive the price up as people jump in then abandon them all?

Exchanges like Bithumb have turned this into part of their core business model; you give them $20k and they'll list any altcoin you want, at which point you just wash trade with yourself to draw in the bagholders

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

paternity suitor posted:

I guess I'm a little confused when I read stuff like this, because you could just do highly levered options trading and it would be very possible to get 10,000% gains. This idea that Bitcoin is the one true way to make extremely risky best is weird.

well yeah, but both the risk reward ratio and the profile of leveraged options vs this is...not very similar (for one thing, options either finish ITM or go to exactly zero), as is the experience level of your competition in BTC/alt markets vs. the average options trader. certainly, the risk of ruin for an options trader trying to make 10000% is well over 99%. that was clearly not the case for anyone trading crypto in 2017!

it's very possible that the only reason bitcoin or any of the alts is worth > $1 is that regardless of how smart/stupid it may be, it's the first ever case of a market that the public found and exploited for years before smart money got involved. it is certainly the only large market in existence in the 21st century that isn't (yet) dominated by bots and hyperspeed arbitrage engines and might very well be the last one ever.

like I said though, this is definitely the evil timeline so it's also totally possible that the only reason any of this worked is that there is a critical mass of people wearing moustaches in it

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Andy Dufresne posted:

The true "average" person has cashed out $0 because bitcoin didn't create any money along the way. For those who have pulled out more in dollars than they put in those dollars came from someone who did the opposite. It's even worse when you consider that a lot of the cash outs have been to cover electricity and mining hardware so they don't represent a windfall for that person. Bitcoin is a net money drain.

It's really not worth listening to the success stories and drawing a conclusion. There were just as many wins as losses in the NFL last year but if you only heard from playoff teams you'd come away thinking the average win rate was 75%.

That's a really misleading use of "average". Every time a hedge fund puts in $1B it effectively enables a thousand $1M cashouts. At the moment, because virtually all money put into the system until mid-2017 was the public's, the cashouts are being funded by a handful of very big institutions getting in and unless the bubble implodes right now they may well actually wind up being the biggest losers. Weep not for Goldman Sachs holding the bag.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Durzel posted:

The more I read about people blowing loans and life savings on this poo poo, the more I think that it is entirely possible that its a ride that's never going to end. The people in a position to manipulate the market to their own end will continue to do so, and it'll regularly plunge down before creeping back up again. It could be a thing entirely supported by nothing else by the leveraged greed of woefully misguided people.

Eventually there will be no suckers left to keep pumping more funds in. It will probably end up being one of the most enduring ponzi schemes ever because rather than being a single scheme it's more like an entire ponzi economy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Two thirty something women, dressed in loose fitting linen with large hats, stroll leisurely around a botanical garden.

Woman 1: I've been meaning to ask you where you're getting your money from after Fred passed. You look so good and happy.
Woman 2: thanks friend. I found a new, natural, organic way to make money from home. *turns directly to camera*

It's called HealthCoin. Scientists have discovered, through the magic of mathematics, a natural forked currency called the block chain. This wonderful discovery allows us to become wealthy with items you already have in your home. It's free to get started and you'll be enjoying your health coins and wealth the same day! And the best part is, it's based only off natural organic patterns found in some of the most essential math we know, like prime numbers and the Fibonacci sequence. There are no artificial sweeteners, no selling to clients, and no harmful extracting from the earth. Visit MyHealthCoin42.biz to get your free information presentation.

can I be your butler after you have acquired all of earth's wealth?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Needs more chakra and auras

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

brb

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Adar posted:

That's a really misleading use of "average". Every time a hedge fund puts in $1B it effectively enables a thousand $1M cashouts. At the moment, because virtually all money put into the system until mid-2017 was the public's, the cashouts are being funded by a handful of very big institutions getting in and unless the bubble implodes right now they may well actually wind up being the biggest losers. Weep not for Goldman Sachs holding the bag.

What's your line of thinking here. The Winklevoss twins were probably the largest single holders, bought in early, and have certainly cashed out at a profit. I have a hard time believing that institutional investors were the largest buyers between 10 and 20k when that's the same time my waitress told me to buy bitcoin.

Are there any press releases from the last month about large institutional buys?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Lmao BCC is up 420%

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Drav posted:

Bitcoin Savings & Trust, I like that! A good honest name.

Bitcoin Investment & Trading Company Holding Executive Services

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I'm super confused by this

the kind of person who would make this meme is the kinda person who would make TLJ no SJW cut

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm super confused by this

the kind of person who would make this meme is the kinda person who would make TLJ no SJW cut
all women are replaced by bitcoins

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Andy Dufresne posted:

What's your line of thinking here. The Winklevoss twins were probably the largest single holders, bought in early, and have certainly cashed out at a profit. I have a hard time believing that institutional investors were the largest buyers between 10 and 20k when that's the same time my waitress told me to buy bitcoin.

Are there any press releases from the last month about large institutional buys?

Yeah, there have definitely been institutional investors of varying significance for years now. I can remember seeing articles about various financial institutes dedicating funds to cryptocurrency in virtually every bitcoin thread. If anything the last few months have gone quiet on such stories.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Uranium 235 posted:

all women are replaced by bitcoins

but all men are coins too

fuuuuuck

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Durzel posted:

The more I read about people blowing loans and life savings on this poo poo, the more I think that it is entirely possible that its a ride that's never going to end. The people in a position to manipulate the market to their own end will continue to do so, and it'll regularly plunge down before creeping back up again. It could be a thing entirely supported by nothing else by the leveraged greed of woefully misguided people.

Its not going away. Its gambling and as long as someone has money, its going to exist. I and probably others were around at the ground floor for Mt GOX and they were pumping $1 butts. If it is illegal, like gambling, people will go underground.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
They laughed when I cashed out my Roth IRA and 401k

Well, who's laughing now hahaha

*Tries to order food at Weinershnitzel with bitcoins*

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
So i heard one of the topics to be discussed at the next G20 meeting in March will be the surge of cryptocurrencies

I don't pretend to know poo poo about finance much less the cryptocurrency world, but isn't mass regulation the thing bittcoiners want o avoid the most? Would a state intervention in South Korea or China make the prices free fall?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The bohemian grove is all about crypto.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Personal_Nirvana posted:

So i heard one of the topics to be discussed at the next G20 meeting in March will be the surge of cryptocurrencies

I don't pretend to know poo poo about finance much less the cryptocurrency world, but isn't mass regulation the thing bittcoiners want o avoid the most? Would a state intervention in South Korea or China make the prices free fall?
well talks about regulation/banning of exchanges in china and south korea have caused huge drops so yeah

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Personal_Nirvana posted:

An unregulated currency sounds like a disaster.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Personal_Nirvana posted:

bitcoin is already regulated. there are interventions already. the big boogie man of government has its hands in bitcoin.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Andy Dufresne posted:

In the last twelve months there have been hundreds of new crypto funds opened. You won't hear about them because the amount of money being thrown at them means they don't have to be public and in fact most prefer not to be.

The bulk of that money is coming in from oligarchs, people whose day job is running hedge funds, and HNW family offices. I doubt most of them are actively trading and virtually none are on exchanges (this is what OTC desks are for) but they've been on the buy side in bulk for many months. Similarly, as ICOs have replaced IPOs, all the VCs are effectively being turned into crypto traders whether they like it or not. Like I said, every time Mike Novogratz buys $100m for a client, it pays for 100 millionaire waitresses.

In fact if the bubble lasts through a sizable part of this year and keeps inflating a bit more there's a really good chance that it becomes the first time in history more millionaires are created through a bubble than destroyed. (Honestly, I wouldn't bet on it because humans are Really Dumb about when to cash out, but I feel like the number of early adopters who have *already* cashed out for seven figs is high enough to make it plausible)

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

An unregulated currency sounds like a disaster.

This should be the thread title. Buttcoin : a diaster. Starring The blockchain.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
What are the odds that all these ICOs are just in the open money laundering facilities?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Adar posted:

In the last twelve months there have been hundreds of new crypto funds opened. You won't hear about them because the amount of money being thrown at them means they don't have to be public and in fact most prefer not to be.

The bulk of that money is coming in from oligarchs, people whose day job is running hedge funds, and HNW family offices. I doubt most of them are actively trading and virtually none are on exchanges (this is what OTC desks are for) but they've been on the buy side in bulk for many months. Similarly, as ICOs have replaced IPOs, all the VCs are effectively being turned into crypto traders whether they like it or not. Like I said, every time Mike Novogratz buys $100m for a client, it pays for 100 millionaire waitresses.

In fact if the bubble lasts through a sizable part of this year and keeps inflating a bit more there's a really good chance that it becomes the first time in history more millionaires are created through a bubble than destroyed. (Honestly, I wouldn't bet on it because humans are Really Dumb about when to cash out, but I feel like the number of early adopters who have *already* cashed out for seven figs is high enough to make it plausible)

This sounds like the type of bullshit you read on conspiracy forums.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BTCUniversityS/status/954005633073782784

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Personal_Nirvana posted:

The G20 will probably decide to ban anonymous crypto and a bunch of associated shadier things while regulating exchanges similarly to what Korea wants to do. There's no prospect of an agreement on anything harsher with Japan, Korea and Russia as members.

With that kind of deal I would expect an initial dive down followed by up up up as everyone reaches widespread consensus that this too is great for bitcoin. Monero will also dive down followed by surging 1000% as everyone reaches consensus that being banned is great for Monero. Most of the tokens won't care at all either way after the initial waves. In short, the bubble will continue until it doesn't.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
malware is taking over mining installations
This is good for Bitcoin

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

OK

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, I guess I really have no idea whose money is going in and whose money is going out. Adar's response sounds plausible but it's also total speculation. Without access to internal exchange information I wonder how we would have any idea whether any oligarchs have spent a billion on crypto. My spidey sense is tingling.

I do know that ICOs replacing IPOs is bullshit.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

It's insane poo poo like this that I quit working at discount brokerage. You have an opportunity cost, otherwise you're telling me fish stories.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

http://bitguru.co.uk/the-mavs-say-yes-to-cryptocurrencies/

The Dallas Mavericks Say Yes to Cryptocurrencies

All the new investors that are stepping into the crypto markets are wondering why the sky is falling all around them when they expected to go straight to the moon. While everyone is bracing for a rough couple of days, others are still bullish. Mark Cuban, the controversial and outspoken owner of the Dallas Mavericks, business maven, and billionaire, has announced via Twitter, that the Dallas Mavericks will be accepting the digital currencies of Bitcoin and Ether by next season. By next season? Why would he announce that they will accept the currencies by next season when we’re seeing the flood of blood across the market? It seems that Mark Cuban is taking a long view on the market and may have different expectations.

The acceptance announcement

Within a short time frame, the Dallas Mavericks are expected to become an NBA franchise that will accept the emerging blockchain based cryptocurrencies, Ethereum and Bitcoin. The owner of the Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban, has noted that his team, will be one of the first in the professional basketball and sports setting to accept these virtual currencies.

Mark Cuban made this announcement via Twitter when a user named Batman Cash asked him when his organization would start accepting the currency.

Batman Cash@13ac0n_

Replying to @mcuban

Mark, when will I be able to purchase Mavs tickets with bitcoin?
Mark Cuban

✔@mcuban

Next season.

9:18 PM – Jan 15, 2018

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

I'll just say this: It's a sensational claim that professional investors have been the big losers and /r/bitcoin posters have been the big winners in this bubble. Sensational claims require sensational proof and all that.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
https://twitter.com/tetherprinter/status/954025966124216320

More chuck-e-cheese tokens being printed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
How is this not applying inflationary pressure on the....wait a cotton picking minute!