Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So since bitcoin lost 50% value doesn’t that make it non-profitable to mine for a lot of people for whom it was previously profitable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bitcoin hasn’t been mined on GPUs in years.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Aye but some places (nicehash) will pay you in btc for mining altcoins for others. Or you can just get a paypal account and winminer and get straight dolla dolla bills yo'.

Anyway this is what I came here to post, NOTHING SHADY JUST MAKE A TRANSACTION ON MY BEHALF LETS EXPLOIT A LOOPHOLE IM NOT GONNA REVEAL SO WE BOTH PROFIT YOU TOTALLY AREN'T COMMITTING FRAUD, FRIEND!

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/7r387y/verified_uk_coinbase_accounts_needed_5005000_jobs/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hit up my icq.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Jordan7hm posted:

Hit up my icq.

Whatever, broke boy

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dustoph posted:

Ya, you sure sound like you know what you are talking about. Tell me more about your meat and butchering knowledge. Want to make sure I don't get ripped off buying high quality steaks when I could pay more for Costco ground beef.

Seriously funny that some people in this thread can't comprehend this.

Man if you want to buy half cows for your one-two person household go right ahead, enjoy pre-paying for bulk cuts of thoroughly freezer-burned steak that you'll be enjoying for the foreseeable future. You don't need a degree in animal husbandry to see that it's something that only makes even an ounce sense in special circumstances, e.g. large groups, farm households, etc. For most people (such as u) it's just a BWM hipster gimmick.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Buying a half cow is not bad with money. Nothing is bad with money if it's for a thing you want and it easily fits into your budget.

One of my friends has done this for years and their family of three literally eats all of it, every time. He brings actual steaks to tailgate with us, months after the meat was put in deep freeze, and they're delicious.

As a derail I guess this is a perfect day for it, since the Bitcoin thread and Reddit is pure BWM and doesn't need this thread to point it out.

Edit - To give a little insight, I will say that I assumed half-cow meat would be freezer burned, too lean, etc before I tried it. I typically never freeze meat, I just buy it and use it within a week - I'm picky, and too lazy to defrost. I was surprised at how good it was.

Brian Fellows fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 18, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
GWS addendum: freezing temderizes meat
It just also dessicates meat by sublimation
So you just need a vacsealer or really great freezer bags

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Brian Fellows posted:

Buying a half cow is not bad with money. Nothing is bad with money if it's for a thing you want and it easily fits into your budget.

One of my friends has done this for years and their family of three literally eats all of it, every time. He brings actual steaks to tailgate with us, months after the meat was put in deep freeze, and they're delicious.

As a derail I guess this is a perfect day for it, since the Bitcoin thread and Reddit is pure BWM and doesn't need this thread to point it out.

Edit - To give a little insight, I will say that I assumed half-cow meat would be freezer burned, too lean, etc before I tried it. I typically never freeze meat, I just buy it and use it within a week - I'm picky, and too lazy to defrost. I was surprised at how good it was.

So to start with, you're going to have to buy a separate, large freezer just for the meat, fit that freezer in your household, then power that freezer. So if you're well-prepared in terms of equipment to take advantage of an abundance of meat and are ready to serve and consume dozens of servings of steak per week, it could be a decent deal under your specific circumstances. For the guy from the Reddit story it was pretty obviously another hilarious gently caress-up.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I don't think you're supposed to eat that much beef on a regular basis. I'm willing to wager friend and family aren't exactly the image of health

Though neither is the rest of the country so beef on I guess

E: wait, from your post, I parsed "they've been doing it for years" as "they've been repeatedly doing it for years, replenishing their beef drawer as soon as it empties out" and I'm not entirely sure why

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 18, 2018

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Deep freezers are neither rare nor particularly expensive to purchase or operate.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

KingSlime posted:

I don't think you're supposed to eat that much beef on a regular basis. I'm willing to wager friend and family aren't exactly the image of health

Though neither is the rest of the country so beef on I guess

E: wait, from your post, I parsed "they've been doing it for years" as "they've been repeatedly doing it for years, replenishing their beef drawer as soon as it empties out" and I'm not entirely sure why

Haha yeah I dont know how often they actually need to/do buy more. They're not eating beef anywhere near every meal or anything. What got them started is his wife prefers to only eat cruelty free meat (or whatever it's called; I'm a carnivore so it doesn't translate to me), so his thought was to buy half a cow from a cruelty free farm so they weren't eating different meals most of the time - the nearest place that fit the bill was way too far of a drive to make regularly since they live in the middle of nowhere.

Turns out the meat is delicious so they keep doing it.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
All farms are relatively cruelty free. With abuse, the meat is tough and the milk doesn't flow. This idea that big farms (sorry, evil FACTORY farms) are just animal equivalents of Saw films doesn't match up with reality.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

metallicaeg posted:

All farms are relatively cruelty free. With abuse, the meat is tough and the milk doesn't flow. This idea that big farms (sorry, evil FACTORY farms) are just animal equivalents of Saw films doesn't match up with reality.

Hence, why you have to surprise your meat when you kill it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you're buying 1/4 cow, which is GWM, the front half or the back half?
Or how do they make a fair 1/4 cow?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Meat is BWM. Vegetarianism is way cheaper.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Nocheez posted:

Meat is BWM. Vegetarianism is way cheaper.

Mods?!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Wait....

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/davidgura/status/953834181750153218

Another GWM sucess story.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Vox Nihili posted:

So to start with, you're going to have to buy a separate, large freezer just for the meat, fit that freezer in your household, then power that freezer. So if you're well-prepared in terms of equipment to take advantage of an abundance of meat and are ready to serve and consume dozens of servings of steak per week, it could be a decent deal under your specific circumstances. For the guy from the Reddit story it was pretty obviously another hilarious gently caress-up.

You don't seem to know what you are talking about hoss.

I bought my freezer on sale for $125 and it holds a quarter beef plus any other frozen items I need to store that don't fit in the kitchen freezer. You agree basically paying whatever market rate is for grocery store quality ground beef but instead you get mostly steaks and roasts with some ground Neff to round it out, and higher quality than what you normally pay at the store. My family eat a quarter beef in about a year give or take a couple months depending on what other protein sources were are buying, and if I remember to pull meat out out of the freezer to thaw out it also saves me extra trips to the grocery store. We don't eat dozens of servings of steak a week, nor would we need to because as long as it isn't a self defrosting freezer and the meat is wrapped properly (the butcher takes care of this part) you don't really see freezer burn.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I do eat about half my meals with meat and it took me alone about 8 months to get through a quarter cow
Nowadays I'm in a small kitchen so lol at big freezer but it's a viable thing

Buying anything at all in any way shape or form except girl scout cookies from door to door sales, tho...

E: lady from work's niece sent her a link to post to the work slack for cookies to be delivered by that niece
2018 af

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I don't have a deep freeze because I don't have a garage or a basement. Woe is meeeee wherever will I get my gross 7 year old freezerburnt butter and single otter pops stuck behind the rack

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Can you buy half a .jpg of a toucan? Jesus Christ, dumbest derail.

BWM: Be the Winklevoss Twins

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/winklevoss-twins-seen-600-million-163936990.html

quote:

For those holding on to their coins for dear life, it's been a loss of roughly 34%. For the Winklevoss twins, who hold an estimated 120,000 bitcoins, that comes to a loss of about $600 million.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

If arguing about whether something is bad with money or not is a derail then I am not sure what the purpose of the thread is.

therobit fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 18, 2018

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This sounds like BWM but it's not that bad:

quote:

The twins, who famously sued Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, bought their original bitcoins with part of the $65 million settlement from the case.

They turned 65m into ~1.3 Billion (now ~700m). Their "loss" isn't really a loss.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Suspicious Lump posted:

This sounds like BWM but it's not that bad:

They turned 65m into ~1.3 Billion (now ~700m). Their "loss" isn't really a loss.

Of course, their "gain" isn't really a gain since there's no way to liquidate anything even approaching $700m worth of bitcoin since that would crater the price. I suspect the actual amount you'd end up getting if you sold 120,000 bitcoin on the exchanges would be far less than that amount (assuming you didn't take several exchanges down with you by trying to transfer that much cash out).

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

GamingHyena posted:

Of course, their "gain" isn't really a gain since there's no way to liquidate anything even approaching $700m worth of bitcoin since that would crater the price. I suspect the actual amount you'd end up getting if you sold 120,000 bitcoin on the exchanges would be far less than that amount (assuming you didn't take several exchanges down with you by trying to transfer that much cash out).

On the other hand, the article says they bought when it was under $10, so it's really only $1.2m "investment".

Still bad with money due to those liquidation issues, though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

therobit posted:

You don't seem to know what you are talking about hoss.

I bought my freezer on sale for $125 and it holds a quarter beef plus any other frozen items I need to store that don't fit in the kitchen freezer. You agree basically paying whatever market rate is for grocery store quality ground beef but instead you get mostly steaks and roasts with some ground Neff to round it out, and higher quality than what you normally pay at the store. My family eat a quarter beef in about a year give or take a couple months depending on what other protein sources were are buying, and if I remember to pull meat out out of the freezer to thaw out it also saves me extra trips to the grocery store. We don't eat dozens of servings of steak a week, nor would we need to because as long as it isn't a self defrosting freezer and the meat is wrapped properly (the butcher takes care of this part) you don't really see freezer burn.

USDA doesn't even consider beef edible after being frozen for a year.

This is some /r/frugal poo poo.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Doubling down eh? Meat maintained at 0°F is safe to eat indefinitely. It is true that as it ages it dries out and quality can suffet a little, but not much and 13 months is not going to be noticeably worse than 12. I bet you also toss out dairy that is 1 day past its expiration date without smelling it too.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Show me on the doll where the half a cow touched you.

fsis.usda.gov posted:

Freezer Storage Time
Because freezing keeps food safe almost indefinitely, recommended storage times are for quality only. Refer to the freezer storage chart at the end of this document, which lists optimum freezing times for best quality.

If a food is not listed on the chart, you may determine its quality after thawing. First check the odor. Some foods will develop a rancid or off odor when frozen too long and should be discarded. Some may not look picture perfect or be of high enough quality to serve alone but may be edible; use them to make soups or stews.

And yes, 12mo is listed for best quality on the chart.

At any rate, everyone knows that half a cow is too much at once. You are supposed to get a quarter cow, half a hog, a dozen chickens, and maybe a couple turkeys.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 18, 2018

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4b0aa3/can_someone_talk_me_out_of_or_into_buying_some/

Can someone talk me out of or into buying some land? posted:

The numbers: ~80k/year income, 75k in student debt (6.8%). Loans plus house note 1600/month. I maxed out my IRA last year and intend to do so again this year (self employed). I found a piece of land about 3 hours away that I really like. It's 20 acres for 28k, so it's not like the land can go down THAT much in value. I can pay cash if I put everything liquid I have into it (I can borrow from the IRA if I need an emergency fund until I build the fund back up). It has a nice creek running down it, has paved road access, power nearby, but is otherwise in the middle of nowhere, exactly as I've wanted. It's been a long time since I've seen a parcel of land with those features at a price anywhere near what I can afford. This land will basically be for fun, camping, hunting, and letting the kids experience outdoors from time to time. About half of it is a pine plantation, planted as such, and about 7 years old, so one day I can probably get some timber income out of it if I decide to cut it, though I may not.

I've read from searching about land on here that land is not an investment, as it will actually cost you money, but all of the threads on here have been talking about smaller pieces of land, nearer a city, inherited land, and discussions of cows and such, so I was hoping for some input on this specific situation.

The financially trained part of me says no, this is dumb, pay off the student loans first, but I can make the numbers work now. Can anyone on here effectively talk me out of buying the land? I'm looking for either a really well reasoned argument against it, or maybe some strong support for my hedonic side winning this financial battle. Thanks for the thoughts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5lpish/buying_cows/

Buying cows? posted:

My sister thinks she is going to get rich because she buys or bought cows and when they have babies she gets the money from them? I have no idea what she is talking about she lives in a condo so obviously its not her cow, what kind of scam is she into now.

She is also in Amway making no money trying to get rich quick I just dont get the cow thing will someone please explain this to me. I dont know if this is the correct sub but I dont know what other one to put it under. She and her husband have literally no money, I'm just trying to help her get out of these scams if it even is.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Baby cows don't have any money.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the way frozen beef goes bad is oxidation
you would actually need an actual vacsealer to go longer than 9 months or so, basically

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

sleepy gary posted:

Baby cows don't have any money.

And why do you think that is? Because rich people already took their money from them. Stop thinking poor.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the way frozen beef goes bad is oxidation
you would actually need an actual vacsealer to go longer than 9 months or so, basically

No.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
What if you bought half a cow for a wedding reception? Think of the savings!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

What if you bought half a cow for a wedding reception? Think of the savings!

Only if you bought it with a mortgage-backed derivative bitcoin security loan and added a horse to the deal.

therobit posted:

If arguing about wheter something is bad with money or not is a detail then I am not sure what the purpose of the thread is.

posting about bitcoin horse weddings and truck equity, duh

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Have a horse-drawn carriage deliver vacuum-sealed 13 month old beef to the wedding that's being paid for by bitcoin that was sold at a loss after a second mortgage and a 401k loan was taken out for the initial bitcoin purchase.

I think that wraps up the past few pages.

e: with a wedding cake made of funko pops

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 18, 2018

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/Frugal/comments/4g4b42/for_those_who_are_collectors_as_a_hobby_how_do/
For those who are collectors as a hobby, how do you stop yourself from buying those collectible items?

quote:

In January, I started collecting these Funko Pop Vinyl Figures. They average $9-$12.50 and some can go up to as high as $1,000. The most most expensive Pop I paid for is $40. I currently have 86 Pop Figures. After trips to my local comic book store, I have also started collecting comic books. This month alone, I have spent $650 on Pop figures and some comic books. How can I learn to control myself? I feel like most of these are impulse buys. How you you control yourself when you collect?

https://www.reddit.com/r/funkopop/comments/6mpqx8/has_anyone_else_started_to_think_of_money_in/
Has anyone else started to think of money in terms of funko pop units?

quote:

Lunch was $10? That's a funko pop. $30 video game? Three pops. Coffee = half a pop. I've found myself dividing all my purchases into roughly $10 increments that each represent an average pop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/funkopop/comments/4v4cgv/i_had_to_create_a_poptract_between_my_wife_and_i/
I had to create a "Pop-tract" between my wife and I due to my excessive collecting of pops.

quote:

Got married this month and told my wife that I'd slow down on the pop collecting and that I'd come up with a Pop-tract between the two of us to limit the amount of money I'm spending. I figured I'd share to give everyone a good laugh.

https://imgur.com/2bDZCXh

quote:

Nah. The emergency pop fund was a whole other animal to conquer lol. She wanted the leftover money to go in the bank. By doing it this way, if there are a few lull months of collecting, the emergency pop fund can go towards a Grail !

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I don't understand collecting stuff like this at all. Like once you've got a room full of a stack of boxes of Funko Pops... you've just got a room full of a stack of boxes. It doesn't even really matter what type or "rare limited release" they are, it's just a box in a stack of other boxes.