Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nah fam bump that poo poo up to I AM DEATH INCARNATE

These games are wonderful and I love that the Oberkommando is so afraid of Terror Billy that they literally got their rear end to marsvenus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MA-Horus posted:

Nah fam bump that poo poo up to I AM DEATH INCARNATE

These games are wonderful and I love that the Oberkommando is so afraid of Terror Billy that they literally got their rear end to marsvenus.

And then just randomly invited a bunch of poorly vetted American actors to join them

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

So hey, how do people feel about a full play through on easy mode for the Wyatt story line? I would ignore most of the side content and just bust through everything in short order. I was thinking that I needed to record the game over again for that stuff anyway, so it wouldn't be a ton more effort.

I'd love to see this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

tarbrush posted:

And then just randomly invited a bunch of poorly vetted American actors to join them

A man who looks like a walrus and who was just out for milkshakes? What threat could he be?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Night10194 posted:

A man who looks like a walrus and who was just out for milkshakes? What threat could he be?

?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Samovar posted:

You know, you have to admire the bravura of the Nazi commander who tells you to throw down your weapons and surrender since you have no chance, as you march upon him with a multi-tonne flame-thrower dog.

Admire only briefly though.

The Nazi that burns twice as bright burns half as long!

Night10194 posted:

It'll kill more nazis, so that sounds just fine.

Yeah, I think we’ve seen you suffer enough to establish skill level, so simplifying to get the alternate timeline is fine. Though I admit failing stealth has probably made for better LP videos given the excitement level that results. I mean, if you were perfectly stealthy we’d not see nearly so much of that glorious shotgun in use :swoon:. Truly that would be the greatest war crime of all.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sounds like play through two is the preference. Can't say I'm disappointed, I think it'll be fun to see how Wyatt's unique weapon changes combat.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I never used Wyatt's unique weapon :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Alexeythegreat posted:

I never used Wyatt's unique weapon :v:

I didn't even know there was a Dieselkraftwerk
How can it be better than the literal best gun in the game though.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I didn't even know there was a Dieselkraftwerk
How can it be better than the literal best gun in the game though.

More torque? :rimshot:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Shortly after this game came out I had someone I play games with sometimes (god, that's rare these days) ask me if I thought they would ever release the rest of Wolf II. The criticism that TNC was overly short was a pretty common one in the first few weeks of release and I just never understood it. You know my approximate runtime for The New Order? 9 hours, give or take. Runtime for this LP so far? Just about nine hours. So how is it that people look at this game and say it is too short and then look at The New Order, which didn't have the same depth of side content, and say it didn't have the same problem? I don't know.

Anyway, let's go to spoilers when talking about this video for the next few days: The promotional materials for this game totally revealed Hitler was showing up. It's too bad they went that way, sort of like (spoiler within spoiler, here) Raven revealed that you would get Stroggified in Quake 4 before the game came out (end spoiler within spoiler). It's a great comparison because of the id connection, but also because why in the world would you reveal a major plot development in order to get people to play a single player game? Neither of those things had to be said about the respective games before they came out, as a matter of fact they may have both been better to keep away from the player so they would make a bigger impact the first time they experienced it, but whatever. I have to say that kicking Hitler never gets old and BJ going HAM on a Nazi because that's his default reaction to being in punching range of a Nazi are both great. This whole cutscene is amazing. Goddamn is TNC a good game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

One thing I find interesting about this section is that Hitler is using the older Luger model (aka, what TNO called the 1946 pistol) despite the much more modernized one that B.J. wields being available. It's jarring that with all the advanced technology at his disposal, Hitler instead chooses to use a gun that is almost 20 years out of date. Maybe it's the only model he can reliably wield given his current physical state, I guess?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I think the game took an interesting route with the portrayal of hitler here, because it’s simultaneously “This is hitler” and “This is hitler?”

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

I would guess from what we've seen that he's not all there and is desperately clinging to familiarity. It is...a hell of a thing, overall, but I don't feel like talking about it too much until we're past giant-spoiler-block-territory for it. I will say there's definitely an implied benefit to stealth here, even though I don't expect it to be borne out; note the line 'alpha is secured' once things get loud.
I don't think the game would be mean enough to permit or deny that possibility based on whether or not you were in stealth, though.

And, yeah. They've definitely chosen an interesting balance of 'the galaxy's most evil man' and 'Christ, someone please get this old fart his pills already'.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:allears: Man, I love that Hitler kill sequence. They just knew that was what you were gonna do, didn't they?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Holy poo poo it's literally hitler

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The interesting thing is that Hitler is only 73 years old at this point, at least 10 years younger than he appears to be based on his drooling and puking. You'd think that he'd have access to the best medicine Reichsmarks can buy.

Maybe ruling the world takes its toll on a man. Or maybe nobody wants to tell the Führer to take his antiemetics.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Syphilis is one hell of a drug.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The interesting thing is that Hitler is only 73 years old at this point, at least 10 years younger than he appears to be based on his drooling and puking. You'd think that he'd have access to the best medicine Reichsmarks can buy.

Maybe ruling the world takes its toll on a man. Or maybe nobody wants to tell the Führer to take his antiemetics.

Just look at any before and after picture of a US president, just 4 years can make them look 10 years older in some cases

I'm still surprised they didn't do jupiter as the other planet, floating nazi skybases would make a more interesting setpiece than the dust of venus. Would also solve the problem of nazis using lasers and explosives, since in a nutshell there's a point where the pressure is equal to air so while the atmosphere is toxic, a hull breach isn't that big of a problem, rather than explosive decompression it's more like, walk up to the hole and duct tape it until an engineer can look at it. So the bases just float at that point.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 19, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I love the way he fired the actors and how happy he was when BJ just got fed up, broke cover and brutally slaughtered the guard. But they almost went too far in that scene, how much do you really need to, fürther, degrade freaking Hitler?!? At least it explains why he was away on Venus far from anyone seeing or hearing. :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

OwlFancier posted:

Holy poo poo it's literally hitler

Excuse me, I believe you'll find it's Charlie Chaplin.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Poil posted:

I love the way he fired the actors and how happy he was when BJ just got fed up, broke cover and brutally slaughtered the guard. But they almost went too far in that scene, how much do you really need to, fürther, degrade freaking Hitler?!? At least it explains why he was away on Venus far from anyone seeing or hearing. :v:

When there's an unkillable monster going around and slaughtering everyone, the sensible solution for the Leader is to not be on that planet.

I love how Venus was foreshadowed during the moon mission in TNO. It's also great how BJ's mission isn't even to kill Hitler, but to just get the Metal Gear test data so he can achieve his superobjective afterwards. William is nothing if not goal-oriented. Though I imagine he won't look a gift Hitler-killing in the mouth, should the opportunity present itself.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nalesh posted:

I'm still surprised they didn't do jupiter as the other planet, floating nazi skybases would make a more interesting setpiece than the dust of venus. Would also solve the problem of nazis using lasers and explosives, since in a nutshell there's a point where the pressure is equal to air so while the atmosphere is toxic, a hull breach isn't that big of a problem, rather than explosive decompression it's more like, walk up to the hole and duct tape it until an engineer can look at it. So the bases just float at that point.

This is literally what their Venus base is, though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Grizzwold posted:

I think the game took an interesting route with the portrayal of hitler here, because it’s simultaneously “This is hitler” and “This is hitler?”

I think this is a perfect depiction of Hitler. He's not presented as the strong and powerful former leader of the Nazis. He's the crazy racist old murderer with bowel problems everyone humors because OH, GRANDPA HITLER. He may have been the original spark but now he's barely even an ember. The bonfire is already burning and killing him, while satisfying, is ultimately pointless because everything BJ is working towards is going to get incinerated if he doesn't stick to his mission.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Really Pants posted:

This is literally what their Venus base is, though.

Huh I thought I saw ground in one of the windows, but thinking about it, it could work on venus too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think this is a perfect depiction of Hitler. He's not presented as the strong and powerful former leader of the Nazis. He's the crazy racist old murderer with bowel problems everyone humors because OH, GRANDPA HITLER. He may have been the original spark but now he's barely even an ember. The bonfire is already burning and killing him, while satisfying, is ultimately pointless because everything BJ is working towards is going to get incinerated if he doesn't stick to his mission.

Yeah I genuinely really like it, it's very understandable because hitler was a micromanaging nutter who thought he was great at everything, and if you imagine that plus like, 20-30 years of actually ruling the world like a turbocharged roman emperor, you're gonna get someone who is completely unhinged because they have absolutely no social frame of reference, the world literally does revolve around them and there is nobody who can tell them not to shoot random people for fun.

It's an interesting characterization because it's entirely believable.

Nalesh posted:

Huh I thought I saw ground in one of the windows, but thinking about it, it could work on venus too.

The game mentions it's an aerostat at the start.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

You can see the the aerostat briefly in the cutscene in the previous video. Also I love that that they have Star Trek cube food on Venus.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
What surprises me is that everyone insists on using BJ's full name. Or his nickname.

Of course, given that Wolf2009 admits to the events of the previous games, and this game is the latest in this series, it means that this isn't the first time that the spoiler character and BJ have met.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

berryjon posted:

What surprises me is that everyone insists on using BJ's full name. Or his nickname.

Of course, given that Wolf2009 admits to the events of the previous games, and this game is the latest in this series, it means that this isn't the first time that the spoiler character and BJ have met.

Yeah I was going to ask: didn't BJ kill Hitler in the first game?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Atomikus posted:

That was my take on it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nalesh posted:

The Venus base design was shown to be a floating base back in TNO, too.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wolfenstein 3D and possibly Spear of Destiny are still ambiguously canon (and will probably remain that way) in the franchise.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Nalesh posted:

Floating structures on Venus is a uniquely workable idea due to the density of its atmosphere; breathable air composed of nitrogen and oxygen would actually float on Venus to a height sufficient to maybe handle permanent structures (apparently it's still close to 200 degrees farenheit at that height?), but if you can build higher then you can actually get into acceptable temperature bands and theoretically use sunlight and skimming from the atmosphere to aid in agriculture.

The Soviet Union actually landed a number of probes on the surface of Venus, but none of them lasted more then a couple of hours; the surface is stormy, toxic, acidic, and something like 800 degrees farenheit. I think even in this game series surface bases on Venus would beggar disbelief.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I love how the nazis are capable of building a sky base on loving Venus, extracting live brains from skulls and vat growing supersoldiers, but somehow can’t prevent an actor smuggling multiple assault weapons onto a spaceship

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

tarbrush posted:

I love how the nazis are capable of building a sky base on loving Venus, extracting live brains from skulls and vat growing supersoldiers, but somehow can’t prevent an actor smuggling multiple assault weapons onto a spaceship

Cheating at science doesn't make them magically competent.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

bman in 2288 posted:

Cheating at science doesn't make them magically competent.

I'm reminded of a documentary I saw on how Werner Von Braun escaped from Germany to surrender to the Americans - he was stopped by a checkpoint of soldiers when it turned out that his forged documents weren't quite in order, but when he threatened to write down the name of every soldier who stopped him, they waved him through.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
How you could kick Hitler and not add this as a soundtrack I do not know.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

AradoBalanga posted:

It's jarring that with all the advanced technology at his disposal, Hitler instead chooses to use a gun that is almost 20 years out of date.

For a historical note, it's not that jarring for people higher up in the military or government or whatever to carry their own personal sidearms that differ from what's issued to the troops and the like - Engel had a gold-plated Luger the first time she and Bubi showed up on the train to Berlin in The New Order, after all. And officers did that sort of thing all the time in real life, whether out of personal preference (General Patton famously had a pair of ivory-gripped revolvers, an SAA that had been part of a matching set and a Model 27 alongside his issued 1911... and a Colt 1903... and a few other pocket pistols... guy believed in always being armed) or because the standard-issue stuff is poo poo (commissioned officers in Japan around the time of WWII would prefer some Mauser, Colt or FN guns). It kinda reminds me of Kong: Skull island, where Samuel L. Jackson's character has a pair of Colt 1902s as his sidearms rather than a 1911, and since there's more than enough 1911s to go around doing nothing more than being stuffed in holsters and never used by the majority of the other characters, it has to be a deliberate decision to have his character use something different (the only improbable part is believing anyone in the American military in 1973 would ever think .45 isn't the only pistol round that has ever or will ever be worth using).

That said, a Luger showing up in The New Colossus does look jarring as hell because guns in the game's universe took on a sort of dieselpunk retro-future bent by about 1946 or so. Anything from the real world would look out of place in this game.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 20, 2018

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nice, they have celocanths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Atomikus posted:

So is meth. Hitler was a huge meth head for years.

• Locked thread