Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I kept looking for the "That's not who I am" as well. I have a microscopic flicker of hope that this causes her some introspection (but probably won't).

This article from the NY Post actually has some quotes that show that she already admitted that that is exactly who she is. My favorite is this:

quote:

“I’m in the South now, bitch,” Barber continued. “So everyone can f–k off. I’m from New Jersey, so I can say n—-r as much as I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

What's the point of a second, fake instagram account when you show your face in your posts

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

U-DO Burger posted:

What's the point of a second, fake instagram account when you show your face in your posts

Mom only knows about the first one.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm genuinely interested what tires he rolls on.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hawowanlawow posted:

lmbo at demanding free poo poo when a fast food place fucks up your order

I was going through the self-serve checkout at the supermarket earlier and the tiny little old lady next to me had to call an assistant because her bags of fruit and vegetables were all coming up with the wrong prices when she was trying to scan them in. For some reason she was sure they should all be at least half of what they usually cost per kg or even lower so the assistant got another employee to run and check the marked prices on each of them and yep, she was completely right. It turns out that some other employee was swapping over the fruit displays and had removed all the previous specials and reloaded those boxes with different produce but hadn't changed the signs yet (which just show the prices) and this little old lady just so happened to gather up large bags of everything that was accidentally underpriced and then raced to the register before anyone changed the signs. The assistant tried to explain to her that the prices had accidentally been mixed up but she started making noises about the store trying to rip her off so they just let her have everything at the incorrect lower prices.

A few days ago I overheard a different customer arguing with an employee at the same supermarket. He wanted to buy a certain item but there weren't any on the shelf so he'd apparently asked the employee to check and see if they had any "out the back" and the employee had given him some explanation about how he was sure there wasn't any "out the back" but unfortunately for him this customer had previously asked a different employee to check and that other guy had found the item he wanted "out the back" which of course now meant that every time an employee told him they were out of something he immediately assumed they were lying to him. As they walked past me the customer was saying ".... and please don't ever lie to me again" in the smuggest fuckin' tone I've ever heard.

The schadenfreude is on people who work in supermarkets. :v:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

YouTube dumbass King of Random has been charged with second-degree felony possession of explosives. :discourse:

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=46238745

Guy just posted an update video and it looks like he's starting his own Multi-Channel Network.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The schadenfreude is on people who work in supermarkets. :v:

100% true.

I can't even read notalwaysright.com because I just get angry at the millions of shithead customers around the world. If I'm ever feeling too optimistic and good about humanity, I go read a few dozen retail hell stories and everything darkens back down to where it should be.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A few days ago I overheard a different customer arguing with an employee at the same supermarket. He wanted to buy a certain item but there weren't any on the shelf so he'd apparently asked the employee to check and see if they had any "out the back" and the employee had given him some explanation about how he was sure there wasn't any "out the back" but unfortunately for him this customer had previously asked a different employee to check and that other guy had found the item he wanted "out the back" which of course now meant that every time an employee told him they were out of something he immediately assumed they were lying to him. As they walked past me the customer was saying ".... and please don't ever lie to me again" in the smuggest fuckin' tone I've ever heard.

During my stint in retail, we generally knew which items weren't going to be found in the back. This doesn't deter some people from demanding you check, so I would just go in the back room and stand around for a minute or so before announcing that no, we didn't have any left. Admittedly, a retail front at the mall is a lot smaller than a supermarket.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

100% true.

I can't even read notalwaysright.com because I just get angry at the millions of shithead customers around the world. If I'm ever feeling too optimistic and good about humanity, I go read a few dozen retail hell stories and everything darkens back down to where it should be.

Like 99% of the stuff on notalwaysright is stdh.txt

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

100% true.

In the supermarket my sister worked in they could get a warning for

a) Turning a customer away from a 10 items or fewer till when they had too many items.

or

b) Serving too many customers with more than 10 items at the 10 items or fewer till.

I mean surely that's just intentionally designed to be evil.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Aramoro posted:

In the supermarket my sister worked in they could get a warning for

a) Turning a customer away from a 10 items or fewer till when they had too many items.

or

b) Serving too many customers with more than 10 items at the 10 items or fewer till.

I mean surely that's just intentionally designed to be evil.

There are a lot of rules in retail designed to make it as easy as possible to fire somebody when they need to. It's incredibly lovely.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

C.M. Kruger posted:

YouTube dumbass King of Random has been charged with second-degree felony possession of explosives. :discourse:

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=46238745

This is the kind of outcome I've been expecting for quite a while. He does some really stupid things without regard to safety.

"“It makes it seem like I am a irresponsible YouTuber who is blowing stuff up,” he said."

BovineFury has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jan 18, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SpacePig posted:

This article from the NY Post actually has some quotes that show that she already admitted that that is exactly who she is. My favorite is this:

I grew up in the next town over from where she is from, I lived in her town for seven years or so, I have a lot of family currently living in that town. There's a certain percentage of people who are like that. I don't know why she would go to Alabama for college though, especially with all of that Jersey Pride - which is kinda funny because no one in South Jersey has that because Jersey Pride is a North Jersey thing, except when you're out of state.

It seems like she thought people in the South are racists and she was going there to be with her own. Really weird.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Larry Nassar, former USA Gymnastics doctor who used his position of power to molest over 100 women including minors, complained to a judge that he wouldn't be able to handle victim-impact statements at his sentencing.

The judge replied with the legal equivalent of "tough poo poo."

Judge Aquilina shuts down Larry Nassar's complaints of stress, 'media circus'

quote:

Prosecutors said this morning that they expect 105 women and girls to give statements. The number has grown daily since they announced last week 88 women and girls would speak out, either in person, by letter or in video.

"You spent thousands of hours perpetrating sexual assault on minors," Aquilina said, adding that he should be able to handle a few days of impact statements.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The schadenfreude is on people who work in supermarkets retail. :v:

I worked for a big-box retailer (fine, it was Target) in my 20s, and as a general rule, there was no "out the back." Anything we had of a given item was normally already on the shelf. But oh no, customers were certain we were hiding things "out the back."

It's even worse for people who work at Lowes or Home Depot, because they literally have no stockrooms. The store itself is the stockroom, so if you don't see it, they don't have it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

iospace posted:

Oh, so you're one of those customers.

I bet if you go to a sitdown place you get lovely service all the time too.

Rofl. So when a place hands you something you don’t order you just go “well, good enough” and drive off? I literally would get my stuff and check it, find out they gave me fries instead of onion rings and go “hey you gave me fries again” and they’d go “oh gently caress sorry here’s what you ordered” they don’t take back what they give you because they’re not allowed as I found out the first time I tried to give back what I ordered. Maybe that policy has changed, but like I said I don’t go there anymore at all.

The reality of the situation is much less exciting than the make believe tantrum you had in your head.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Black Stones posted:

Rofl. So when a place hands you something you don’t order you just go “well, good enough” and drive off? I literally would get my stuff and check it, find out they gave me fries instead of onion rings and go “hey you gave me fries again” and they’d go “oh gently caress sorry here’s what you ordered” they don’t take back what they give you because they’re not allowed as I found out the first time I tried to give back what I ordered. Maybe that policy has changed, but like I said I don’t go there anymore at all.

The reality of the situation is much less exciting than the make believe tantrum you had in your head.

The one time I went to a burger king they gave me the wrong burger, I had ordered a double and they gave me a single. I got a few bites in and noticed and let them know nicely. The teenage clerk rolled his eyes and asked me "well what do you want us to do??" and I just said "I don't know, throw another pattie on there? No need to waste anything" . He went and got his manager, who looked at me like I was trying to pull a scam. He said he'd get another burger right away, and did. He went to give me the burger but quickly withdrew it "give me your burger first". He quickly snapped it up as if it was a drug deal or hostage exchange where no one trusted anyone, inspected it to make sure I wasn't lying about the mis-order while making sure the new burger was out of my reach, then handed me the new correct burger once he was satisfied I wasn't pulling a fast one. I assumed he was taking my old burger away so I tried to ask "Oh... you don't need to throw that one away, I'm pretty hungry or my friend could eat it, no need to waste food..." and he made a show of throwing it in the trash. This was like a 40 year old man.

It was a weird experience and was my first and last fast food order in like 10 years.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

The one time I went to a burger king they gave me the wrong burger, I had ordered a double and they gave me a single. I got a few bites in and noticed and let them know nicely. The teenage clerk rolled his eyes and asked me "well what do you want us to do??" and I just said "I don't know, throw another pattie on there? No need to waste anything" . He went and got his manager, who looked at me like I was trying to pull a scam. He said he'd get another burger right away, and did. He went to give me the burger but quickly withdrew it "give me your burger first". He quickly snapped it up as if it was a drug deal or hostage exchange where no one trusted anyone, inspected it to make sure I wasn't lying about the mis-order while making sure the new burger was out of my reach, then handed me the new correct burger once he was satisfied I wasn't pulling a fast one. I assumed he was taking my old burger away so I tried to ask "Oh... you don't need to throw that one away, I'm pretty hungry or my friend could eat it, no need to waste food..." and he made a show of throwing it in the trash. This was like a 40 year old man.

It was a weird experience and was my first and last fast food order in like 10 years.

How could he be sure that you didn't hide one of the patties so you could be getting a free quadruple burger?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
At the supermarket I used to go to apparently they had a problem with someone who would fill up a shopping cart with iced cream then just leave it to melt on a random aisle.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The Black Stones posted:

Rofl. So when a place hands you something you don’t order you just go “well, good enough” and drive off?

I drive off without checking it, because I don't care. Something like fries vs onion rings from a fast food drive through is inconsequential, and not worth worrying over.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Better food go in the trash than be fed to a poor.

Ziv Zulander posted:

I drive off without checking it, because I don't care. Something like fries vs onion rings from a fast food drive through is inconsequential, and not worth worrying over.

This is the correct answer. The correctness of your fast food order is absolutely inconsequential barring allergies.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Ziv Zulander posted:

What is they forget a burger? Same thing happened to me that happened to Baronjutter, but I was accused of stealing a burger that I never got. It was only when a burger flipper came out front and mentioned they had an extra burger sitting in the back that no one had claimed that I was finally given the meal I paid for.

Don't let those fry fryers push you around!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was going through the self-serve checkout at the supermarket earlier and the tiny little old lady next to me had to call an assistant because her bags of fruit and vegetables were all coming up with the wrong prices when she was trying to scan them in. For some reason she was sure they should all be at least half of what they usually cost per kg or even lower so the assistant got another employee to run and check the marked prices on each of them and yep, she was completely right. It turns out that some other employee was swapping over the fruit displays and had removed all the previous specials and reloaded those boxes with different produce but hadn't changed the signs yet (which just show the prices) and this little old lady just so happened to gather up large bags of everything that was accidentally underpriced and then raced to the register before anyone changed the signs. The assistant tried to explain to her that the prices had accidentally been mixed up but she started making noises about the store trying to rip her off so they just let her have everything at the incorrect lower prices.

1) I don't know if you've spent time around little old ladies, but if you have you know that they have the prices of everything in the grocery store memorized to the penny, and they will definitely buy fifty bell peppers when they're a smoking deal and freeze 48 of them for later

2) in most of the first world the law is that, if there's a disagreement between the marked price of a product and the price in the store's database, you pay the lower of the two. This is obviously to prevent stores from pulling bait-and-switch schemes -- "oh well I already brought this all up to the front, I don't want to go back and swap it for the cheaper one, I'll just pay the extra dollar." If the produce was marked wrong due to employee error, the little old lady is perfectly within her rights to pay the lower price, and I wouldn't blame her for taking advantage of it even if it's obviously a mistake.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Burning_Monk posted:

What is they forget a burger? Same thing happened to me that happened to Baronjutter, but I was accused of stealing a burger that I never got. It was only when a burger flipper came out front and mentioned they had an extra burger sitting in the back that no one had claimed that I was finally given the meal I paid for.

Don't let those fry fryers push you around!

A common hustle at fast food places is to grab a recent receipt off the ground or from a table and walk up and say they missed something from your order and you want that single item.

Then you get that item for free.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sagebrush posted:

2) in most of the first world the law is that, if there's a disagreement between the marked price of a product and the price in the store's database, you pay the lower of the two.

This is not true

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I used to deliver pizza and if someone called in to the store complaining their order was wrong/bad, then I'd take out their replacement food.

Then I got to eat their bad order half the time as they'd just hand their old pizza back to me :v:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

and I wouldn't blame her for taking advantage of it even if it's obviously a mistake.

well that's fuckin trashy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

This is not true

No? Maybe it's just good states.

California:

quote:

(a) It is unlawful for any person, at the time of sale of
a commodity, to do any of the following:
(1) Charge an amount greater than the price, or to compute an
amount greater than a true extension of a price per unit, that is
then advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted for that
commodity.
(2) Charge an amount greater than the lowest price posted on the
commodity itself or on a shelf tag that corresponds to the commodity,
notwithstanding any limitation of the time period for which the
posted price is in effect.

hawowanlawow posted:

well that's fuckin trashy

So in the case of major national supermarket versus little old lady, over the matter of perhaps $50, you'd rule in favor of the supermarket?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

This is the correct answer. The correctness of your fast food order is absolutely inconsequential barring allergies.

I, too, don't care if I don't get what I paid for.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ah yes, I forgot california was most of the first world, carry on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Ah yes, I forgot california was most of the first world, carry on

One of the key features of a first world nation or state is the existence of consumer protection laws, yes

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

So in the case of major national supermarket versus little old lady, over the matter of perhaps $50, you'd rule in favor of the supermarket?

it's trashy to take advantage of something you know is a mistake, even with the major accomplishment of living to be old under your belt

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I once got all the way to work with a Noodles & Company order to find that they forgot my meatballs. When I called to let them know that I just wanted a refund for the missing item, they immediately refunded the entire order without question.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My time is more valuable than the $4 burger someone may or may not have forgotten to put in my bag. If it happens more than once at the same place I just go to one of the other dozens of fast food joints that won't forget things in my order.

but I'm sure it feels good to exercise power over the fast food people who dared wrong you, so you do you

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My time is more valuable than the $4 burger someone may or may not have forgotten to put in my bag. If it happens more than once at the same place I just go to one of the other dozens of fast food joints that won't forget things in my order.

but I'm sure it feels good to exercise power over the fast food people who dared wrong you, so you do you

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

it's trashy to take advantage of something you know is a mistake, even with the major accomplishment of living to be old under your belt

Not if the "victim" is a chain of supermarkets who throw out twenty times as much food per day as you're supposedly ripping-off from them.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

if you think that walking back into the store and going "hey, there were supposed to be fries in here" is exercising power over the fast food people who dared wrong you you have a strange concept of power

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sagebrush posted:

One of the key features of a first world nation or state is the existence of consumer protection laws, yes

Right

But those same laws also tend to state they can just not sell you it at all

They absolutely don't have to sell to you at the lower price, they can just withdraw it from sale

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I've done pretty much the opposite.

Long day at work, back when I was working a lovely retail job, I was exhausted and frustrated and in no mood to cook, I stopped at Burger King on my way home. Stop at the speaker, give them my order (A Whopper, back in the days of the dollar Whopper, and a soda). Pull up to the window, hand the cashier my money. Accept my change from the cashier. Drive away.

Get home, realized I missed an important step.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Here's something that's on topic. It's a compilation of speedrunners screwing up their speedruns. There is a narrator to explain what is supposed to happen and what actually happens, so it should be enjoyable even if you aren't into speedrunning, or video games in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdI4wEIY8ik

EDIT: Highlights include:
0:36 where a guy accidentally drops a motorcycle on an important character.
2:52 where a runner lost a great run by screwing up the last, easiest part of the run.
5:48 where the world's best Super Mario Bros speedrunner totally screws the pooch in front of a crowd, including the creator of Mario.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sagebrush posted:

2) in most of the first world the law is that, if there's a disagreement between the marked price of a product and the price in the store's database, you pay the lower of the two. This is obviously to prevent stores from pulling bait-and-switch schemes -- "oh well I already brought this all up to the front, I don't want to go back and swap it for the cheaper one, I'll just pay the extra dollar." If the produce was marked wrong due to employee error, the little old lady is perfectly within her rights to pay the lower price, and I wouldn't blame her for taking advantage of it even if it's obviously a mistake.

In the UK people ASSUME thats what the law is, but it totally isnt. If I remember right the actual law is you have to either sell it to them at the price on the shelf or immediately fix the mistake on the shelf. So if an offer is ended but they forgot to take one of the signs down or something the shop are totally within their rights to say "No, sorry, that offer expired yesterday" as long as they take the incorrect sign down. Obviously the customer is under no obligation to buy it at the correct price. Most shops will give it to you for the incorrect, lower, price, but thats a PR/customer service thing, not the law. It makes sense when you think about it; A convenience store eating a loss selling you oranges at lemon prices or whatever isnt a massive deal, but a car dealership where a zero is left off the end of the price by accident would be taking a huge loss if they had to honour the incorrect price.

You'd be amazed (presuming you've never worked with the public, otherwise you will be entirely unamazed) how many people would gently caress with displays (moving price labels, swapping stickers and so on) to try and take advantage of the entirely made up "law" that said we'd have to accept whatever it said on the shelf. I'm not sure if its true, but we had security for a while after a couple of robberies and one of them told me that technically you get in less legal trouble for shoplifting a small item than you would for moving a "reduced!" sticker from a different item to it and paying the new, fake, price (which is considered fraud).