Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My nut and bolt collection also came from an estate sale. A ton of proto-PCB fiberglass switches and waxie and Tiny Chief capacitors and bakelite knobs and stuff, too :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

kid sinister posted:

Why is it hard to move? They're on wheels :v:

You joke, but honestly even on wheels, moving those fuckers just a few inches took some effort. And moving them was enough of a pain in the rear end that the thought of moving them along with everything else I own just made me wanna die.

It's funny, it's one of those projects that seems easy until you start doing it, and then you've made 75 trips up and down the basement stairs and out to the truck with arms full of trays, and the bed of your truck is giant mess of trays that spit out screws every time you hit a bump, and your girlfriend is telling you that she's not gonna help unload these ridiculous things that she doesn't even understand why you need when you get home, and then you're like, poo poo, is this one of those cases where she's right?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Slugworth posted:

You joke, but honestly even on wheels, moving those fuckers just a few inches took some effort. And moving them was enough of a pain in the rear end that the thought of moving them along with everything else I own just made me wanna die.

It's funny, it's one of those projects that seems easy until you start doing it, and then you've made 75 trips up and down the basement stairs and out to the truck with arms full of trays, and the bed of your truck is giant mess of trays that spit out screws every time you hit a bump, and your girlfriend is telling you that she's not gonna help unload these ridiculous things that she doesn't even understand why you need when you get home, and then you're like, poo poo, is this one of those cases where she's right?

A case of ziplock bags, a sharpie, and a bunch of flat rate boxes from the post office is the best answer. Empty bin into bag, sharpie label on it, toss into box, repeat. Easy to move, easy to label, and easy to unfuck once you're at your destination. It worked really well for me when I had to move my dad's collection of fasteners across the country.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

A case of ziplock bags, a sharpie, and a bunch of flat rate boxes from the post office is the best answer. Empty bin into bag, sharpie label on it, toss into box, repeat. Easy to move, easy to label, and easy to unfuck once you're at your destination. It worked really well for me when I had to move my dad's collection of fasteners across the country.

See I was thinking just use that thick movers' plastic wrap and just double-wrap those bins tightly one at a time, toss them into a bigger box.
Then just cut open the wrap when you get there. Bet you could comfortably wrap those at a rate of 2 bins a minute

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

yaffle posted:

I've inherited my dad's collection, which included his dad's, and grandfathers. They all horded fasteners of all kinds, apparently my grandfather once dismantled a piano and kept every screw, so may flatheads.

Well, fasteners are expensive.

I keep all the nails from the pallets I pull apart. The ones in decent nick, anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, there's your problem. You need a garage where you can just roll them out and onto the liftgate of the moving truck. You did get a liftgate, right? :D

~Coxy posted:

Well, fasteners are expensive.

I keep all the nails from the pallets I pull apart. The ones in decent nick, anyway.

My dad's dad kept every nail pulled from everything, thanks to growing up in The Depression. As a grandson with some mechanical ability, I was one of the designated nail straighteners.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Oh, there's your problem. You need a garage where you can just roll them out and onto the liftgate of the moving truck.

For a moment I thought you meant a truck which was moving, which seemed unnecessarily challenging.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Darchangel posted:

Oh, there's your problem. You need a garage where you can just roll them out and onto the liftgate of the moving truck. You did get a liftgate, right? :D
A lot of problems in my life would be solved with a larger garage.

Also, lift gates are the devil for moving the contents of a home. Ramps for life.

As for Ziploc bags, and individually wrapped trays, and flat rate boxes - You guys officially are more dedicated to screws than me. Ultimately though, there was gonna be no room for the beasts in the new garage, and the basement is finished and far too refined for my sawdust and spider web covered screw racks. The time I spent with them will always be treasured, but some love is fleeting.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Jaded Burnout posted:

For a moment I thought you meant a truck which was moving, which seemed unnecessarily challenging.

This is how it generally happens when you hire someone to relocate all of your worldly possessions, yes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

PainterofCrap posted:

After nearly 30-years, mine is...but drat if I can find what I need, when I need it.

Why don't you just get your robot to help you?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What was it like to invent flubber

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PainterofCrap posted:

After nearly 30-years, mine is...but drat if I can find what I need, when I need it.

This is basically what my dad's workshop looks like, only without the swords, clocks, and Nazi helmet sitting on a box full of novelty coffee mugs. You can never find what you actually want, but sometimes you find something...you didn't realize you needed. :2bong: Like the Room of Requirement if Hogwarts were made by grumpy retirees.

I wish my place had room for that mess.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 18, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is basically what my dad's workshop looks like, only without the swords, clocks, and Nazi helmet sitting on a box full of novelty coffee mugs. You can never find what you actually want, but sometimes you find something...you didn't realize you needed. :2bong: Like the Room of Requirement if Hogwarts were made by grumpy retirees.

I wish my place had room for that mess.

That makes me miss my grandpa's shop :sigh:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/YhcdHsu.gifv

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don’t know, I think that’s just the right amount of passive aggressive.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hospital Admin: gently caress you, wash your hands
Doctors: I dun wanna!
Janitors: Haha, no choice now!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Finding lots of these things lately

https://v.redd.it/eh3cqx5kr0b01/DASH_9_6_M#mp4

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

This is very clever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

why is there a soap dispenser in the elevator lobby, though

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

It's so close to genius except they stumbled at the very last stretch of the race. That should be hand sanitizer instead of soap.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It is hand sanitizer, you can see the Purell label when he goes for the button.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Leperflesh posted:

why is there a soap dispenser in the elevator lobby, though

All hospitals have hand sanitizers at the elevators above the buttons. They are just usually manual operated.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

His Divine Shadow posted:

This is very clever.

Doctors would still manage to find a way to never wash their loving hands though. They'd use a rotting cadaver hand to press the button.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

Doctors would still manage to find a way to never wash their loving hands though. They'd use a rotting cadaver hand to press the button.

Are you okay, friend?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are you okay, friend?

Hospitals in my area keep having horrible outbreaks of extremely preventable things because staff don't wash their hands, even surgeries resulting in infections because doctors, specially surgeons, seem to think they're above washing their hands or bothering with sterilization. Just dump some antibiotics on them, cheaper than hiring proper cleaning staff or wasting famous surgeon's time on scrubbing properly before an operation.

I'm mad about dirty doctors!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Hospitals in my area keep having horrible outbreaks of extremely preventable things because staff don't wash their hands, even surgeries resulting in infections because doctors, specially surgeons, seem to think they're above washing their hands or bothering with sterilization. Just dump some antibiotics on them, cheaper than hiring proper cleaning staff or wasting famous surgeon's time on scrubbing properly before an operation.

I think its more due to the privatization of cleaning services and their costcutting measures with staff and supplies, combined with overcrowding, than surgeons suddenly deciding to ignore hundreds of years of standard medical practice and refusing to sterilize before procedures.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

No, Doctors have been refusing to wash their hands since before they knew it was a good idea. It's well documented.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IMO hospitals should stop hiring time travelers from the 1800s.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Facebook Aunt posted:

IMO hospitals should stop hiring time travelers from the 1800s.

Sounds like somebody hasn't gotten their humors balanced in a while!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

antiseptics, not antibiotics

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

duz posted:

No, Doctors have been refusing to wash their hands since before they knew it was a good idea. It's well documented.

This is 100% the truth. It has been happening since the Crimean War!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Isn't is all the non-hand stuff like pens and doorknobs and stethoscopes? Shouldn't the whole building be filled with those blue lights dentists use to sterilize tools? What happens if you put a living animal into that little light box?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

Isn't is all the non-hand stuff like pens and doorknobs and stethoscopes? Shouldn't the whole building be filled with those blue lights dentists use to sterilize tools? What happens if you put a living animal into that little light box?

I like telling this story:

Dillbag posted:

A co-worker was told a scary OSHA story by Guillermo Del Toro about filming Blade 2 in the Czech Republic. They stumbled across a bunch of what were described as "rad looking post-war era lamps" somewhere, bought them and set them up in the location (I think it was for the blood bank scene that opens the film). Half way through the day, the cast and crew's eyes started swelling and tearing up and no one could figure out what was going on so they shut down the set thinking they had a gas leak or an airborne contamination.

They called the western medical staff in but no one could figure out what was going on until a local Czech doctor showed up. He looked at the lamps and said something along the lines of "You stupid fuckers, do you know what these are? You know we used to be part of the Soviet Union, right? These are Soviet-made high-powered ultraviolet bacteria-killing lamps that they used to sterilize rooms and you're not supposed to be anywhere near the loving things when they're on. Go home, lay down and keep the lights low. We'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out if any of you are going to go blind".

No one went blind, but Del Toro said the top layer of skin (or whatever it is) on everyone's eyeballs peeled and flaked off during the night and it was really gross and terrifying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_germicidal_irradiation posted:

In UVGI systems the lamps are shielded or are in environments that limit exposure, such as a closed water tank or closed air circulation system, often with interlocks that automatically shut off the UV lamps if the system is opened for access by human beings.

For human beings, skin exposure to germicidal wavelengths of UV light can produce rapid sunburn and skin cancer. Exposure of the eyes to this UV radiation can produce extremely painful inflammation of the cornea and temporary or permanent vision impairment, up to and including blindness in some cases. UV can damage the retina of the eye.

Another potential danger is the UV production of ozone, which can be harmful to health. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency designated 0.05 parts per million (ppm) of ozone to be a safe level. Lamps designed to release UVC and higher frequencies are doped so that any UV light below 254 nm wavelengths will not be released, to minimize ozone production. A full-spectrum lamp will release all UV wavelengths, and will produce ozone when UVC hits oxygen (O2) molecules.

You can see the lights here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D16E17zkdjM

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Woahhhhh no wonder that little box is tiny.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Were I work we have those UV systems for pool water cleaning, more like an add-on to the usual filtration stuff though, but it can reduce usage of chlorine by like 70%.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Sounds like somebody hasn't gotten their humors balanced in a while!

Anyone seen my leech tank?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dillbag posted:

I like telling this story:

You can see the lights here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D16E17zkdjM
Those are obviously UV lamps. I noticed them when I watched the film and thought it was a weird plot hole.

Loving the irony of getting murdered by ultraviolet on the set of a vampire film :v:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 20, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Dillbag posted:

I think its more due to the privatization of cleaning services and their costcutting measures with staff and supplies, combined with overcrowding, than surgeons suddenly deciding to ignore hundreds of years of standard medical practice and refusing to sterilize before procedures.

He's conflating handwashing practices on the floors with pre-surgical scrub-in.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The doctors are just ensuring some repeat business, you have to keep
those patients coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ashcans posted:

The doctors are just ensuring some repeat business, you have to keep
those patients coming back.

Actually I can see that happening in a for profit system like in the states. Here in western Canada the relatively recent privatization of cleaning services has definitely had a big factor, though.