Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

There is no such thing as fake anger at Getting Over It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
I feel like this number was calculated by saying "how many channels can we manually review in a day with our existing staff" followed by "what threshold can we set that equals that".

I mean, if it means every channel trying to make money gets a firm once-over from at least one set of human eyes at google, that's good at least. I wonder if this will produce a cooling effect for people trying to start up seeing this as a difficulty cliff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Playstation 4 posted:

It worked well in ME 1, yeah. But as soon as Sovereign shows up through a nonexistent until then relay, fucks the entire fleet strength of the entire citadel roster right up their rear end solo, and speaks to them, the original council pretty much lost any right to be that skeptical. Right to propagandize it as a geth for security purposes, not to be what they were in ME2.

It would have been a nice rp point to make it so keeping the original council actually helped you because of this, and a new one would be still in genuine disbelief, instead we got :turianass:

Yeah, it was poo poo like this why I never missed an opportunity to dunk on the Council and bust their balls in Mass Effect 3 when I got the chance to.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Bad Wolf posted:

Youtube is loving people again. If you don't have 1000 subs AND 4000 hours watched per year, no more partnership and thus monetization for you ! That sure solves the problem of people showing dead bodies and/or being racist shitbags !

It's not related at all.

It's to curtail a few different kinds of scams.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Dan Olson said it removes the ad dollars for the procedural viral video channels. Those get billions of viewer hours but rely on automatic referalls instead of subscriptions.

It's complicated. It will impact them, but it's not going to get rid of them. They'll be forced to adapt, probably by pouring more of their effort into fewer channels, rather than sprawling out into a giant mat of creeping sludge, which is basically all YouTube wants them to do. There's also an issue that we don't know exactly how Mango Kids is structured internally. I operate off the assumption that they have mechanisms in place to centralize revenue, hence having an MCN in the first place, but it's not strictly needed. An MCN can handle certain aspects of the channel management process while still leaving monetization to AdSense, but that would mean Mango Kids would be operating hundreds of AdSense accounts. I can make an argument either way here. That kind of complexity is stupid, but it also severely dilutes risk, which is key in the whole distributed spam structure anyway, the idea being that you can afford to lose one, ten, fifty channels because they comprise a tiny part of the whole. The more centralized it is the higher risk of Google getting tired of it, banning one AdSense account, and shutting the whole operation down.

It's also going to make specific kinds of impersonators less viable, and cut off secondary funding for a lot of different kinds of spam. It turns out that the subscriber limit wasn't effective because shady people using YouTube for shady reasons don't have a whole lot of reservations about buying a thousand subs.

quote:

I don't want to lose access to the partner program because that means I won't be able to schedule videos

I wish I could trace this rumour back to its source and take a pipe to whoever first spread it. Scheduling isn't part of the partner program. The only thing you need to do to get scheduling is verify your account.

The principal issue for small channels is that it feels like an insult. It's demoralizing. It's not about the $1.25/month that a tiny channel 'earns' per month, it's feeling like something has been snatched away. One person on Twitter told me "it feels like I've been fired from a job I never had." It's also asymmetrical. Animation and music channels will have a harder time reaching the threshold than vlog and LP channels. Where a LP channel can hit 4000 hours in a year easily with a couple hundred regular fans, a music channel needs tens of thousands of views over the course of the year.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure why people are more bothered by fictional characters denying the threat of the evil robot villains than the fact that the evil robot villains are supremely lame.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Awww, yeah, Baywatch Nights.

I still think The Hoff missed his calling. He would’ve been great playing villains.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

echopapa posted:

Awww, yeah, Baywatch Nights.

I still think The Hoff missed his calling. He would’ve been great playing villains.

I only had the vaguest idea what this show was like, and it’s a good 30% crazier than the crazy thing I imagined from the title and tv guide 25 years ago.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Mr.Radar posted:

Leon Thomas posted his feature-length Renegade Cut about the Left Behind movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxN1DXmSdA

Guys this is real good and you should watch it if you are even a little curious about theology or history or US evangelical politics. There's lovely movies/books in there somewhere too, I guess.

Thanks for sharing!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

endolithic posted:

Guys this is real good and you should watch it if you are even a little curious about theology or history or US evangelical politics. There's lovely movies/books in there somewhere too, I guess.

Thanks for sharing!

No problem! I posted it before I had a chance to watch it and now that I have I agree it's definitely a must-watch if you have any interest in Christian theology or American politics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, Renegade Cut's video is extremely well researched.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, Renegade Cut's video is extremely well researched.

It was almost like I was reading Reza Aslan's book 'Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth' again but in video form.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr.Radar posted:

Leon Thomas posted his feature-length Renegade Cut about the Left Behind movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxN1DXmSdA

This is really loving good.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

FoldableHuman posted:

I wish I could trace this rumour back to its source and take a pipe to whoever first spread it. Scheduling isn't part of the partner program. The only thing you need to do to get scheduling is verify your account.

I looked into it, and it looks like it all goes back to a misreading of the original email due to how it was worded (and the panicked person has since retracted their concerns).

quote:

Ok, is this just the worst line break placement in history and all I'm losing access to is the $2.70 I've "earned" over the last year? I joined the partner program because I wanted access to video scheduling, but it appears that the non-monetization features are available to all.

Specifically, the line break here:

So it got read as "You will lose access to all monetization tools. {pause for breath} You will also lose access to all features associated with the YouTube Partner Program."

One of those features being scheduling.

The email actually says "You will lose access to all monetization tools. You will also lose access to all monetization features. The monetization tools and monetization features you will lose are the ones associated with YPP".

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
That video does a good job of explaining why rapture theology is bogus, but then it goes deeper and makes the Jewish claim that Jesus was not the messiah, which is a matter of some opinion. Like, it starts to get into a critique of Christian views in the four gospels as "fan fiction" and at that point he's basically transformed his video from "this is bad Christianity" to "Christianity is fundamentally false" at which point his video loses its effectiveness as an outreach to Christians and simply becomes yet another atheist preaching to the choir.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CountFosco posted:

That video does a good job of explaining why rapture theology is bogus, but then it goes deeper and makes the Jewish claim that Jesus was not the messiah, which is a matter of some opinion. Like, it starts to get into a critique of Christian views in the four gospels as "fan fiction" and at that point he's basically transformed his video from "this is bad Christianity" to "Christianity is fundamentally false" at which point his video loses its effectiveness as an outreach to Christians and simply becomes yet another atheist preaching to the choir.

started looking for a forest, all i found was some trees, what is this horseshit

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

It's not saying "the Jewish mandates for a person to be the Messiah are objectively correct", it's saying "By the Jewish mandates for a person to be the Messiah, Jesus Christ is not eligible; therefore, it is weird and appropriative to write an authoritative Jewish mouthpiece as accepting Jesus Christ as the Messiah using a twisted and inaccurate rendition of those mandates".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CountFosco posted:

Atheism is not the same as criticism of Christianity and the video didn't question the existence of God or any higher power in any way, so I don't see how it was "another atheist preaching to the choir". Keep in mind that this is all criticism of the specific brand of Christianity as propagated by Left Behind, not of Christine theology in general. And I don't see how "Christ as presented in evangelical Christianity does not fulfill the requirements of the Jewish messiah" is a condemnation of Christianity in general as "fundamentally false".

e X fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 18, 2018

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CountFosco posted:

Christianity shrinks every year, people regularly find find arguments against God to be persuasive.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Christianity shrinks every year, people regularly find find arguments against God to be persuasive.

That does not make them correct.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That does not make them correct.

i always figured you worshiped a geyser or something

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I know, I'm just saying it's not exactly preaching to the choir to say that "God's Not Real" in public.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People abandon Christianity because they find it repugnant or unsatisfying in practice, for the most part. Nobody cares about or wants to hear arguments about how the trinity is irrational or whatever. I say this as a long-retired “skeptical activist” who thought horoscopes and spoon-benders were the biggest threats to liberal democracy at 18-20.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

I mean, you say that but the statistics on Christianity as a movement are hardly one way.

"The world’s Christian population is expected to grow from 2.2 billion in 2010 to 2.9 billion in 2050.39 Nearly one-in three people worldwide (31%) are expected to be Christian at mid-century, the same share as in 2010."

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2015/03/PF_15.04.02_ProjectionsFullReport.pdf

Christianity is declining in the West, but that's because the West is held thrall to a base scientism and materialism.

The biggest threat to Christianity is not the atheism of Dawkins, but rather the atheism of the parish priest how abuses one of the laity, the atheism of a man who professes to believe in truth and justice and goodness but cannot help himself from performing actions which contradict this outward professed belief.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The biggest threat to Christianity is the rise of people praying to Joe Pesci.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf4wwXM2o_M

Babish hits 2 million and spends a comical amount of money on creating a godawful burrito.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

his rap album is somewhat of an akashic record

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

i always figured you worshiped a geyser or something

I am a practicing Orthodox Clevinite.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I am a practicing Orthodox Clevinite.

His Softness

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

business hammocks posted:

People abandon Christianity because they find it repugnant or unsatisfying in practice, for the most part.

People are abandoning Christianity because they realize that Christ named it after himself, and they're either "yo fam dat's too ego", or they're all like "Violation of WR7, no self-promoting, submitted for speedy deletion".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

lornekates posted:

People are abandoning Christianity because they realize that Christ named it after himself, and they're either "yo fam dat's too ego", or they're all like "Violation of WR7, no self-promoting, submitted for speedy deletion".

I just can’t follow a religion named Chris.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

lornekates posted:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God"

Way to sign your posts

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

business hammocks posted:

I only had the vaguest idea what this show was like, and it’s a good 30% crazier than the crazy thing I imagined from the title and tv guide 25 years ago.

It's hilarious how they quickly retool the second season to capitalise on THE X-FILES. I love that intro.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

FoldableHuman posted:

The principal issue for small channels is that it feels like an insult. It's demoralizing. It's not about the $1.25/month that a tiny channel 'earns' per month, it's feeling like something has been snatched away. One person on Twitter told me "it feels like I've been fired from a job I never had." It's also asymmetrical. Animation and music channels will have a harder time reaching the threshold than vlog and LP channels. Where a LP channel can hit 4000 hours in a year easily with a couple hundred regular fans, a music channel needs tens of thousands of views over the course of the year.

I also wonder if that can have a chilling effect on viewership/fandom of internet personalities. I could be wrong here, but I feel like part of the draw here is the idea that "anyone can do this" and it keeps people trying to be active, networking, watching, supporting etc. How many people are actively supporting others on Patreon to be seen? Selling the dream (unrealistic or not) has long been a part of the entertainment field and the fandom thereof; will the new viewership threshold take that away?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Kim Justice posted:

GOTTA GET GOD INTO MY LII-IIIIIIFE!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

stillvisions posted:

I also wonder if that can have a chilling effect on viewership/fandom of internet personalities. I could be wrong here, but I feel like part of the draw here is the idea that "anyone can do this" and it keeps people trying to be active, networking, watching, supporting etc. How many people are actively supporting others on Patreon to be seen? Selling the dream (unrealistic or not) has long been a part of the entertainment field and the fandom thereof; will the new viewership threshold take that away?

TBH though, seeing as you've got to make $100 already just to see any money at all from YouTube...if you've beaten that threshold, then you're probably beating or close to beating this new threshold already. Depending on what you do 1,000 subs and 4,000 hours a year isn't that hard...least that's what I think. Is it possible that my perspective's a little blinkered?

I understand that it could be demoralising to some people, but does it change an awful lot? If your goal is to make YouTube a career and you're under 1k subs and 4,000 hours a year, then it's pretty likely that you aren't making any money from YouTube as it is - or at the very least, not nearly enough for it to be a viable career. If I were in that position still, I'd wanna redouble my efforts to try and stand out and get that push that'll take me there.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lack of theological education is to blame. How can Christianity survive if so many lay believers think that the Son derives from the Father and thus unknowingly subscribe to the heresy of Arianism?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s pretty hard to get that many subs unless you make the same kind of content instead of various creative things.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s pretty hard to get that many subs unless you make the same kind of content instead of various creative things.

See, I always think of the 0-1,000 range as the area where you still kinda have a lot of creative freedom to do what you want and see what sticks and that's the best way of going about it. Tbh a lot of channels who are in that range and don't really have much hope of getting out are the ones who are doing the same thing that like, tens of thousands of others if not more are doing, not appreciably different to anyone else, not really anything that's gonna make folks think "gee, they've got something I wanna see again".

Getting the first 1,000 can take a while (I think it took me a year? At least from 2012, when I started doing what I do on YouTube now consistently), but it's an important step just to see whether it's doable or not. It's all about learning good SEO, selling yourself, and generally throwing poo poo at a wall and seeing what sticks. Also lots of collabs if you can get them...like, lots of people are doing the whole sub4sub thing in the wake of this announcement and I TOTALLY get it but doing deeper networking is also really great :)

(Again, all of this comes from someone who is blinkered and is part of the 10% or whatever it is of channels who aren't affected by this at all, it's no one's view but mine)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh, I know it's not doable for me. I failed horribly and wasted a lot of time doing garbage to try and get internet famous.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

A lot of it's kinda really dumb luck also, in the end. I got very lucky early on when it came to people noticing what I was doing, and then gradually building a following from there - Sega-centric forums noticed me, I got the Guru Larry nod (our lord Larry Bundy Jr who scours YouTube on the quest to comment on all retrogaming videos - and others besides - known to man), figured out people liked what I was doing and kept going...being perhaps a little late to the Internet reviewer party but there still being enough space for me on the ship, especially as what I did evolved.

I become aware of a lot of people who are doing now the sort of thing I was doing a couple of years ago and are really good at it too, and yet they're getting virtually nothing from it. Like, not even 100 subs, let alone 1,000. It kinda sucks to see. :/ and yet that's still not the case for everyone.

EDIT: In the end, anyone who's getting into this has kinda got to start from the position of having fun doing it. I've seen some people be like "Hey, it's assholeish to say that people shouldn't expect to get paid for what they're doing!" and I totally agree but YouTube doesn't and hasn't ever worked like that. If you don't have fun making the videos you're doing from the start, then making money isn't magically going to make it fun. If anything, it'll make it a lot less fun. It'll just be another poo poo job. One with even less benefits, security and maybe even less money than the drive-in window at McDonald's.

From 2009 to like, 2014 or so, YouTube was like "This is the dream! You get a partnership! And YOU get a partnership!", MCN's like Maker were like "Hey you can be part of a network, just like Pewdiepie! Doesn't matter how many subs you have! Just give us 40% of your earnings and you're good to go!", giving the impression that everyone can do this and make a career out of it...the boom time is over, and that period has passed. But it was only ever a complete and total illusion.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like the youtube and religion chats converged.

• Locked thread