Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

I played EQ from release til Velious. I know the game controls like a giant bag of rear end but every handful of years I am still tempted to go back. The fact that this server doesn't allow multi-boxing actually sounds really promising, but man. I feel like a crazy person for even considering this.

Goons, convince me this is a terrible idea.

It's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bipperjuice
Aug 13, 2010
Just reinstalled.

Got a 55 necro and 25 shammy for groups and such.

IIRC I can tag people for Unknown Guild as well.

Shoot me a tell in game, Principal.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So apparently only Everquest Titanium will work for this? Is there any non-shady way of getting that version anymore?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
It turns out that when the only way is the "shady" way, it's actually not shady. Considering DBG has given P99 the greenlight and does not provide EQ Titanium distros, there's pretty much no one left to sue. And out of respect for whatever :filez: attitude might be left here, if your google-fu can't handle finding a way to make a P99 install happen, you should probably post a banme in GBS.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Gildiss posted:

Thank god I sold my 50 bard years ago because I installed this again and had nothing so it was so tedious I had to uninstall it again.

Saved me from myself.

I mean, to be fair, if you were to level a bard again, a naked bard is about 90% as effective as a kitted one, especially while leveling. Not having a lot of stuff doesn't really slow them down so long as you have enough money for your core spells. Buy a mistmoore drum and gypsy lute when you get a 100-200 pp nest egg and you can have your genitals flapping in the wind and still be able to swarmkite or bring significant utility to groups. That early regen song is so insanely useful just by virtue of saving a ton of mana on your cleric/druid/shaman that they would be using for spot healing and between combat triage, even if you're just using a vendor lute instead of a gypsy one.

Not having stuff for a bard isn't really as big a deal as you might think.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
If you wanted to piggyback through the first 20 levels with my gnome cleric, I could make that happen.

Haven't had much time to log in lately. Clue's been fun, and I'm hoping I can group up on Hoborg more, but I think I want to get my wizard back into the goon guild. It's hard to stay online for more than an hour at a time most weekdays.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

I played EQ from release til Velious. I know the game controls like a giant bag of rear end but every handful of years I am still tempted to go back. The fact that this server doesn't allow multi-boxing actually sounds really promising, but man. I feel like a crazy person for even considering this.

If anything it’s more fun than I remember. We all float down here. You’ll float too!

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Dick Burglar posted:

you'll have fun, just don't rush to 60 and if you do, don't join Aftermath or Awakened or you will hate yourself

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

faulteroy posted:

you'll have fun, just don't rush to 60 and if you do, don't join Aftermath or Awakened or you will hate yourself

Oh come on it's not that bad!

"preps a line of meth while on unemployment"

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Criminals love some wood elfs. Randomly talk to people on p99 all the time who bring up their ongoing struggles with the justice system.

The chief poopsocker in my guild is a welfare scammer.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Criminals love some wood elfs. Randomly talk to people on p99 all the time who bring up their ongoing struggles with the justice system.

Decidedly classic.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think I've got everything set up correctly. I created a project1999 account and I'm logged into the forum, but is that the same login info for the game? It's telling me incorrect password when I try.

Edit: maybe because I created an account name with a space in it?

Nevermind, got it working.

I don't suppose there's a Discord or anything for this server, is there?

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 19, 2018

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dick Burglar posted:

I think I've got everything set up correctly. I created a project1999 account and I'm logged into the forum, but is that the same login info for the game? It's telling me incorrect password when I try.

Edit: maybe because I created an account name with a space in it?

Nevermind, got it working.

I don't suppose there's a Discord or anything for this server, is there?

This should be it.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256315

Eptar
Jan 14, 2003
Oh no, not again.

FayGate posted:

Oh come on it's not that bad!

"preps a line of meth while on unemployment"

Literally what I imagine when I see A/A in full force at ridiculous hours of the night. Joining a guild full of poopsockers as a casual or semi-casual basically means you will get outbid on every BiS item and still be forced to maintain minimum raid attendance requirements.

Eptar fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 19, 2018

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Play with a guy on Red who is recently out of prison. He mentioned that lifers in the joint play a ton of Magic: The Gathering.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

please do not raid on p99 if you want to enjoy your time playing classic everquest

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, to be fair, if you were to level a bard again, a naked bard is about 90% as effective as a kitted one, especially while leveling. Not having a lot of stuff doesn't really slow them down so long as you have enough money for your core spells. Buy a mistmoore drum and gypsy lute when you get a 100-200 pp nest egg and you can have your genitals flapping in the wind and still be able to swarmkite or bring significant utility to groups. That early regen song is so insanely useful just by virtue of saving a ton of mana on your cleric/druid/shaman that they would be using for spot healing and between combat triage, even if you're just using a vendor lute instead of a gypsy one.

Not having stuff for a bard isn't really as big a deal as you might think.

I rolled an enchanter and got to like level 5, since I did the whole crazy grind and was the second 50 bard on the server back in 2009 and raided etc, don't want to do that again.
But I played ranger back in Velious days so I have extreme plate envy.
I also live in Moon Time zone so I was basically coming at this from an I will always solo angle.
This is painful.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Gildiss posted:

I rolled an enchanter and got to like level 5, since I did the whole crazy grind and was the second 50 bard on the server back in 2009 and raided etc, don't want to do that again.
But I played ranger back in Velious days so I have extreme plate envy.
I also live in Moon Time zone so I was basically coming at this from an I will always solo angle.
This is painful.

Drop the enchanter. Go druid or necromancer. (Druid!)

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
The first 12 levels for any int-based classes are a slog to solo. I've got a Robe of the Foci and Stein you can use. Stick with one class for 20 levels before the alt itch kicks in.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

is there an eqemu server with GM commands? it's too much hassle to run my own just for fashion poo poo

e: nevermind

insulated staircase fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 22, 2018

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm in as Siroc, a wood elf druid. I forgot how slow even getting to level 2 was. Woof.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How often are people killing and letting the Coldain royal frosted armor rot?
I remember back on live I got a level 1 warrior there and got a full set of the stuff eventually. Kind of want to try and do that again.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I tried to get a full set of that on my dark elf SK on Rallos Zek back in the day (since it was no drop, so nobody could steal it after killing me and leave me without armor) but there were so many looters that I only got like four pieces before giving up.

Also lol if you play on Red.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Can someone with at least rudimentary EQ knowledge explain the differences between project 99 and 2002? My friend and I just started on 2002 and are ~ level 6. We do like playing the game for some unknown reason, but I'm also wondering if we're in the right place. We were going to play on 99 at first but my friend logged in and lasted like 30 seconds before logging off and sending me a link to 2002. Not having maps was a big turn off for him.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

kaempfer0080 posted:

Can someone with at least rudimentary EQ knowledge explain the differences between project 99 and 2002? My friend and I just started on 2002 and are ~ level 6. We do like playing the game for some unknown reason, but I'm also wondering if we're in the right place. We were going to play on 99 at first but my friend logged in and lasted like 30 seconds before logging off and sending me a link to 2002. Not having maps was a big turn off for him.

The OP of the thread for that server is probably the best source of info: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755082

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kaempfer0080 posted:

They're gonna be really similar other than specific details that only people who have played hours and hours of evequest would understand.

I'm guessing Al'kabor has fewer players active than p1999 so I'd say play 99 for that reason

Maps can be googled for easy

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Thanks for the pointers, one thing I think I don't like is the multi-boxing since it gives me the impression that the server population is 1/3 of the number.

Another question I have is about where players generally gather? p2002 has the Planes of Knowledge zone which I think is pretty cool. Is it more difficult to play with a friend who is on the opposite faction in p99?

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

kaempfer0080 posted:

Thanks for the pointers, one thing I think I don't like is the multi-boxing since it gives me the impression that the server population is 1/3 of the number.

Another question I have is about where players generally gather? p2002 has the Planes of Knowledge zone which I think is pretty cool. Is it more difficult to play with a friend who is on the opposite faction in p99?

Nah it isn’t too bad, selling things can be harder, but if you need help getting to the same place let me know. I should be able to port by tomorrow morning and can get you guys together. West Commons is probably the big “hub” still

You also mentioned maps being an issue. Just pull up the Eq atlas maps and use /loc a bit.

You can also get maps with zone guides from the p99 wiki.

trauma llama fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 23, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kaempfer0080 posted:

Low level lots of players meat in Gfay, but the Commonlands Tunnel is always the place to meet up and do business and stuff

On P99 at any given time day or night there'll be hundreds of people in that tunnel

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Sweet Jesus, I did not remember how painful it was leveling without any gear. Could somebody please help me out? I'm up to a whopping level 7, with over 2 days played :suicide:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Not that you shouldn't ask in thread, but I'm surprised you made it this far without some random person handing you something.

I hope you're at least getting some massive nostalgia cause that played time is loving rough.

As for p99 vs 2002, for better or for worse, there are a lot of real people to interact with in a way that approximates actual in era EQ servers on p99. That does not happen on 2002. 2002 is potentially better for loners or ground floor advocates of their mission. Otherwise, hang out on p99.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I want to throw my monitor out the loving window right now. Except now it's a flatscreen.

~Nostalgia~

Edit: also, is there anyone in Unknown Guild that could give me an invite, or should I just join a pubbie guild? I'm Siroc.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 23, 2018

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

wazu posted:

Play with a guy on Red who is recently out of prison. He mentioned that lifers in the joint play a ton of Magic: The Gathering.

yeah it is a bunch of bull, dudes just make whatever cards they want on cardboard or paper and have broken decks. Worse than x-mage

the real game in the joint are the D&D games they play with paper spinners to use instead of dice because dice=gambling

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

Sweet Jesus, I did not remember how painful it was leveling without any gear. Could somebody please help me out? I'm up to a whopping level 7, with over 2 days played :suicide:

Had you started on Red you would be 30+ by now.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

wazu posted:

Had you started on Red you would be 30+ by now.

Also 30+ (give or take) works for the current red server population.

:rimshot:

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

moolchaba posted:

Also 30+ (give or take) works for the current red server population.

:rimshot:

Heh, yeah. I kinda want to try Blue just to see what it’s like to play in packed zones. Do miss some of that. On Red it seems better populated than it is as everyone goes same places to find groups. Unrest->MM->CoM takes people from teens to mid-40s in a hurry with decent ability to find pick-up groups. All other zones are ghost towns. Then once you get over 50 it seems like every zone that matters is busy, at least by comparison. Server-wide OOC keeps the chatter and trading make it feel more busy as well. But yeah it’s like 10% of Blue pop.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

what class i have things maybe depending on your answer?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Druid and ranger.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Dick Burglar posted:

Druid and ranger.

My Druid is poor as poo poo and has bought everything from 1-29, but does just fine leveling.

That being said. Hit up demorol in game. I can give you 100pp or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

kaempfer0080 posted:

I actually made a thread about p2002 a while ago if you're curious about reading up on the server. I just don't have the time to poop sock EQ anymore, and found the pace dreadfully dull playing one character. Running a trio made it a lot more fun since I could do other things during my spellcasts or CDs. You can also have a full group with just you and your friend, which is nice if you have limited time to play.

That said, p99 is vastly more populated and far more classic feeling. They're two completely different beasts with p2002 being the more casual friendly version, but not necessarily 100% accurate and slightly more buggy.